HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT : Oilers vs. Sabres

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 03:48 AM
Cowboy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
GDT : Oilers vs. Sabres

Hopefully Buffalo doesn't start their backup goalie, 0 goals in 2 games so far. Lets hope for a well disciplined game, a solid effort on the PP and chip in a goal or so, and another solid game from salo.

3-1 Oilers

Hemsky PP
Torres
York

Old
10-16-2003, 06:28 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
We had the EXACT same problem with backup goalies at the start of last year too. I think we need a big win with 4-5 goals. They need to go into the next three games with some confidence.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Shibumi

The Oilers should start their backup though. I figure a 4-2 final for the Oil.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:47 AM
goldenchild

This is a big game to me Mact called them out after the Canucks game and said getting shut out is an embarrasment so what do they do? get shut out by the flames back up what in the world do you call that? if they don't come out today mad as hell then we have a serious problem. Unless the Yankees BoSox game is a complete dog I will only be watching this one during comercials but I am interested in what kind of start they have, the fiorst 5 minutes are huge, skate hard, get a coulpe of big hits and get the crowd involved.

has their ever been a game where 2 guys named Ales are 1st and 2nd star? I say there's good chance tonight as both Hemmer and Ales Kotolik will have big games.
I hope they win but think we see our first tie. 2-2 Hemsky, Isbister- Kotolik, Satan.

Oh and Pedro out duels Clemons 4-2 BoSox.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:03 AM
jadeddog

i havent seen one single thing that has impressed me about the oilers this year so far, so im going with sabres 3 oilers 1, it will be a low shot affair again me thinks as well

Old
10-16-2003, 08:32 AM
KrazyCanuck19

2-0 Sabres, the Oilers lacklustre offense will struggle again. Goals by Satan, and Mckee.

If the Oilers start Conklin it will worse.....4-0 Sabres.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:45 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

The oilers are coming off exactly what happened to the sabres, consecutive shut outs, The sabres came out flying the next game and i think the oilers will to even though im going for the sabres I think the oilers have the advantage being at home and will come out with an edge to them, I just hope the sabres can match the intensity.

3-2 oilers win

Old
10-16-2003, 08:50 AM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

I'll go the pessimist route and say 3-3, goals by Smyth, Chimera, Staios.
Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:55 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

ok i say 2-1 oilers in overtime with smyth scoring the winner. if the oilers did not like the flames trap the other night they certainly are going to have a tough time cracking coach lindy ruffs system. oh well go oil.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Obsessed

GO OILERS GO!! Raffi Torres with the Gordie Howe Hat trick. Laraque dominates the boards and squishes the Sabres momentum.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Doug Who?

I'm figuring it'll be a tie as well.

2-2 with Pisani and Laraque getting the goals.

Smyth will be quiet again tonight.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Thalia

I can't see the Oilers being shut-out for three straight games so I'll say they'll get a couple of goals but the Sabres still take the win.

Oilers 2
Sabres 3

Old
10-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
I can't see the Oilers being shut-out for three straight games so I'll say they'll get a couple of goals but the Sabres still take the win.

Oilers 2
Sabres 3

Have the Oilers ever been shut out in three consecutive games?

Old
10-16-2003, 10:45 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
Have the Oilers ever been shut out in three consecutive games?
If the Oilers don't score by the 14:29 mark of the second period, they will beat the record for longest drought without a goal in franchise history.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:15 AM
MLH

Sabres 4-1

Kotalik, Satan, Dumont, Zhitnik

Smyth

Old
10-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffneck69
Dvorak is playing horribly, im really missing Carter right now. Comrie's being a ***** so i think they should do the obvious thing an trade him and Brewer is not stepping up the way Janne did when Roman left. Lowe's gotta learn one thing! and that is that size and speed doesn't nessarily teranslate into goals. Pure raw skills score goals and the fact that he didnt draft Hudler, O'Sullivan when he had the chance shows you how badly he see's talent. If you're over 6'1 and 200lbs and you're an average player then you will almost definitely be drafted by the Oil. im so sick of this. We should be drafting more skilled kids like Hemsky, not kids that have size and play in the AHL all their lives (cough couch this means you Mihknov and Henrich)
Agree about Dvorak, but judging by what's coming out of New York I don't think we're missing out on very much with Carter...it sounds like he's struggling too.

Hudler - I'd love to see him here, but Lowe was far from the only GM to take a pass on the little guy.

O'Sullivan - Lots of talent, lots of emotional baggage.

Mihknov hasn't played a minute in North America yet...let's actually see him in an NHL size rink before we label him as a Henrich-like bust.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Hyped

Enough with predicting scores! I'm going with a Laraque-Peters tilt less than 5 minutes into the game. If THAT happens, I'll say 3-2 Oilers. Otherwise, it'll be a 3-2 Sabres game. And I'm basing this whole game on the sole fact that these two square off early...

Old
10-16-2003, 11:44 AM
capebretonoilers

Good Point.. Laraque throwin em might have woken up the team vs cgy..

Old
10-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Digger12

According to CFRN, Conklin's getting the start tonight.

Salo will need the rest considering who they play on saturday.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
According to CFRN, Conklin's getting the start tonight.

Salo will need the rest considering who they play on saturday.
See, now this is a mistake by the coaching staff. This is a game where the Oilers could possibly get two points. Go with your starter. Play your back-up against Colorado. You're not expected to win that game anyway. If your back-up comes up huge and wins the game for you, that's a bonus. If he loses, who cares? They were more than likely going to lose anyway...

Old
10-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
See, now this is a mistake by the coaching staff. This is a game where the Oilers could possibly get two points. Go with your starter. Play your back-up against Colorado. You're not expected to win that game anyway. If your back-up comes up huge and wins the game for you, that's a bonus. If he loses, who cares? They were more than likely going to lose anyway...
I can agree with that, but one could make the argument that throwing your backup in against a weaker opponent will give him that much more confidence, thus letting your started be fully rested for the tilt against your bitter divisional rival.

Conversley, throwing Ty to the wolves (assuming he gets shelled) could destroy his confidence early, thus forcing the coaching staff to play Salo more, and we've all seen how Tommy playes when he's overworked.

Something to think about.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
I can agree with that, but one could make the argument that throwing your backup in against a weaker opponent will give him that much more confidence, thus letting your started be fully rested for the tilt against your bitter divisional rival.

Conversley, throwing Ty to the wolves (assuming he gets shelled) could destroy his confidence early, thus forcing the coaching staff to play Salo more, and we've all seen how Tommy playes when he's overworked.

Something to think about.
Ty Conklin isn't being groomed to be a starter someday. At least I hope the Oilers don't think that way. Besides, goalies have nerves of steel (at least the good ones do---they need 'em!)

Just think. Whose confidence would you rather have shaken (considering it happens) going into the season, your starter or your back-up?

Old
10-16-2003, 12:56 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
But beating Colorado is the type of thing that can really spark a good run.

A solid all round game against the Avalanche could do wonders for this team.

Old
10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Ty Conklin isn't being groomed to be a starter someday. At least I hope the Oilers don't think that way. Besides, goalies have nerves of steel (at least the good ones do---they need 'em!)

Just think. Whose confidence would you rather have shaken (considering it happens) going into the season, your starter or your back-up?
Conversley, goalies rely strictly on confidence. How's Ty's confidence level going to be when a guy with 4 games of NHL experience gets shelled 7-1 in his first game this season?

(By the way, I think the Oilers are grooming Conklin to be the starter post-lockout, until JDD is ready. Just a hunch)

The old saying goes, in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. If we're playing a bitter divisional rival in a 4 point game, I go with the guy who makes the big bucks. You (as a coaching staff) have to show that confidence in your number one goalie.

Tommy's been there before; he's played in the big games. He's won an Olympic medal and a Turner cup (although it's very tough to say that he'll ever regain that form again). His confidence shouldn't be as rattled if he gets shelled than a guy with 4 games experience.

When you put in a guy expecting him to lose (Ty against Colorado), chances are great that he will. IMO, that's the message sent to Conklin if the Oilers play him Saturday.

Old
10-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Conversley, goalies rely strictly on confidence. How's Ty's confidence level going to be when a guy with 4 games of NHL experience gets shelled 7-1 in his first game this season?

(By the way, I think the Oilers are grooming Conklin to be the starter post-lockout, until JDD is ready. Just a hunch)

The old saying goes, in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. If we're playing a bitter divisional rival in a 4 point game, I go with the guy who makes the big bucks. You (as a coaching staff) have to show that confidence in your number one goalie.

Tommy's been there before; he's played in the big games. He's won an Olympic medal and a Turner cup (although it's very tough to say that he'll ever regain that form again). His confidence shouldn't be as rattled if he gets shelled than a guy with 4 games experience.

When you put in a guy expecting him to lose (Ty against Colorado), chances are great that he will. IMO, that's the message sent to Conklin if the Oilers play him Saturday.
I guess we'll see if the Oilers come away with 2 points out of a possible 4 or none...

Closed Thread