Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Sarnia Sting 2008 Memorial Cup Bid..

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Default101

vCash: 500
Sarnia Sting 2008 Memorial Cup Bid..

As it's been no secret the Sting have decided to build around landing the Memorial Cup in the 07-08 season so i wanted to take a second to look at what their roster would look like, how likely is it that we could land it?...
this is what they have so far obviously there will be deals made by then that will change this but here is what were looking at as of right now...

Forwards
Richard Clune (OA) - Ryan McInerney - Tomas Pospisil (OA)
Daniel Lombardi - Jared Gomes - Harrison Reed
Kyle Tront - Kody Musselman - Danny Anger
Brandon Mashinter - xxxxxxxx - Steve Savor

Defence
Mark Katic - Cody Goloubef
Steve Ferry - Matt McCready (OA)
Thomas Policelli - xxxxxxxxxxxx

Goaltending
Parker VanBuskirk
???????????

looks somewhat solid to me considering this isn't including 2 years of trading they'd be doing to build towards it, and 2 years of drafting they'll do to add in more skill looks like the left side is completely set considering thats pretty much what they're working with, VanBuskirk may be the best goaltender in the OHL by a large margin by 07-08, Katic is already among the leagues most skilled defenceman at his age the only thing they really need to improve on is getting a few Centers and Right Wingers maybe another defenceman or 2? however i could easily see Painchaud and Tuzzolino getting delt either by the end of this year, or next year huge fan of Painchaud myself so it woul dbe too bad, we culd get somethin for Jeff MacDougald but they're going to keep him as a skilled veteran to show VanBuskirk the ropes and split starts this season.

Last edited by Default101: 01-04-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old
12-16-2005, 07:59 AM
thomasincanada

quick update

Just as an FYI - it's Matt, not Mark, McCready and he will be an overager that year.

Old
12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
JrHockeyFan

Who else?

Who else is bidding for the Mem Cup that year?

Old
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Who else is bidding for the Mem Cup that year?

Oshawa, are it will likely be going there with their new rink and Mr. Travares.

BTY - how the heck can people project their line up 2 years down the road. Rookies this year yes. But there is no way to no who is going to be your OA. I bet that Sarnia line up will have about7 or 8 of those players 2 years from now. Heck, you still have 2 drafts to go threw.

Old
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
BlueJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin

BTY - how the heck can people project their line up 2 years down the road. Rookies this year yes. But there is no way to no who is going to be your OA. I bet that Sarnia line up will have about7 or 8 of those players 2 years from now. Heck, you still have 2 drafts to go threw.
After reading many recent posts by 'Ry-Dogg' I am getting used to his minor & major inaccurracies. I won't presume anything else about him (age, vocation, etc.) other than to say that he has an obviously biased Sting viewpoint, as such he sees things through yellow-colored glasses & quite often the comments are a bit off the mark in terms of facts. Truly not meant as a personal slight Dogg, just an honest observation.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJays
After reading many recent posts by 'Ry-Dogg' I am getting used to his minor & major inaccurracies. I won't presume anything else about him (age, vocation, etc.) other than to say that he has an obviously biased Sting viewpoint, as such he sees things through yellow-colored glasses & quite often the comments are a bit off the mark in terms of facts. Truly not meant as a personal slight Dogg, just an honest observation.
well i've seen them play about 30 times the next closes woul dbe london at somethin like 5 times so yea when it comes to junior hockey i seem to see and view my opinions based on what i've seen come from what i've watched but i posted this because they've tried twice not and got beat out by Guelph and London the last 2 times, coincidentally i've never seen a hockey game at a level higher than Junior B in another city untill tonight, so i know my opinions can be alittle biased according to what i've seen, i get to see a game in Kitchener tonight... guess who their opponents are

Old
12-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Default101

Quote:

I think it's Sarnia, Oshawa and Mississauga not possitive on that one

Old
12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
eaton28

i think northern ontario should make a bid...

Old
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Watch for Erie to make a bid as well, and they could be favourites if the Tullio gets renovated.

Old
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
JrHockeyFan

Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec17
Watch for Erie to make a bid as well, and they could be favourites if the Tullio gets renovated.
I think I heard something about that. I have never seen a game at the Lou Tullio arena (aka the Ottertorium). Old building? How many seats? Is it in rough shape?

Another thing about selecting the location. Doesn't the bidding team pretty much have to have a good team the year before the bid year, with evidence that they will be good the next year as well? If so those squads would have to be good teams next year.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:37 AM
OHLArenaGuide

The Tullio has everything needed to host a Memorial Cup except for private suites, a full press box, and a decent scoreboard. It also could use a good cleaning and some upgrades. With renovations it could host easily.

Old
12-18-2005, 04:17 PM
willie

Calling it a 'bid' is a bit generous. The OHL/CHL is a business and all signs point to Oshawa in 2008. I suspect the only way Sarnia or Erie is getting to the Mem Cup is if they play their way there.

Old
12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Default101

thats what i thought someone in the eastern conference would get it since it was in london last time, but sarnia's combo of Millar and Camp were there for guelph and found a way to bring the memorial cup there and they built around it, they're doing the same in sanria and they seem convinced they have a clear shot at 2008, so maybe they know something that the public doesn't?

Old
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Bytown

Don't forget the bidding in the o is not the same as the q or whl.Teams have to be play-off bound at the mid way point of the season to be awarded the mem cup.

Old
12-18-2005, 09:04 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
Don't forget the bidding in the o is not the same as the q or whl.Teams have to be play-off bound at the mid way point of the season to be awarded the mem cup.
The Event is awarded a year in advance and not during the same year. But the team still has to look like it will have one of the top teams in the league. Quality of team is a definate consideration.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:00 PM
JrHockeyFan

4 sure

Quote:
The Event is awarded a year in advance and not during the same year. But the team still has to look like it will have one of the top teams in the league. Quality of team is a definate consideration.
I recall that a big part of the submission by London was that they would essentially have a team at least as good as the one that lost to Guelph in the division final in '04.

Oshawa will have the new building but I wonder how they will improve their team enough by next year. I gotta believe that they are more than 1 or 2 years away. Sarnia appears to be building some young depth, but their building is small. You gotta remember that another component is a guaranteed profit figure. The bidders are on the hook for that. They will need City money for sure. And a lot of it.

Old
12-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Default101

Quote:
I recall that a big part of the submission by London was that they would essentially have a team at least as good as the one that lost to Guelph in the division final in '04.

Oshawa will have the new building but I wonder how they will improve their team enough by next year. I gotta believe that they are more than 1 or 2 years away. Sarnia appears to be building some young depth, but their building is small. You gotta remember that another component is a guaranteed profit figure. The bidders are on the hook for that. They will need City money for sure. And a lot of it.
They have been going crazy with this last time they had marches, and people signing donation slips saying they'd donate so much if the memorial cup and so on, Sarnia will have a great team in 3 years, and the Sarnia Sports and Entertianment Centre has i beleve 200 higher Capacity than Guelph's arena so that clearly can't really be an issue, if your thinking of Sarnia Arena it's small (2,700) but they haven't played there since 96-97 they build a whole new complex to support jr. hockey (5,500) and they've made it clear they're gonna go through the same whole process they went through last time, not to say they're going to get it but i can guarentee they'll be the finalists, and i can also say it will go to either sarnia or a team in the east no western team as far as i know is even going to enter a bid except for Sarnia.

Old
12-20-2005, 12:19 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
I think it's Sarnia, Oshawa and Mississauga not possitive on that one
Just OHL teams bidding? Any reason for that?

Old
12-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Just OHL teams bidding? Any reason for that?
Each year each league hosts so there are not 2-4 years in a row where the same league hosts.Teams from out side of that league can not bid for the mem cup.

Old
12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
OHLArenaGuide

The hosting rotates on a three-year cycle between leagues. 2008 will be the OHL's turn, as it was in 2005. 2006 is the Q's turn, and 2007 will be the W.

Old
12-25-2005, 01:24 PM
JrHockeyFan

Still small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
They have been going crazy with this last time they had marches, and people signing donation slips saying they'd donate so much if the memorial cup and so on, Sarnia will have a great team in 3 years, and the Sarnia Sports and Entertianment Centre has i beleve 200 higher Capacity than Guelph's arena so that clearly can't really be an issue, if your thinking of Sarnia Arena it's small (2,700) but they haven't played there since 96-97 they build a whole new complex to support jr. hockey (5,500) and they've made it clear they're gonna go through the same whole process they went through last time, not to say they're going to get it but i can guarentee they'll be the finalists, and i can also say it will go to either sarnia or a team in the east no western team as far as i know is even going to enter a bid except for Sarnia.
I am aware of the new rink. The only point I was trying to make concerned the guaranteed "profit" required. They seem to keep kicking that up every year. Somebody has to make good on that guarantee. Is the city going to cover that?

Old
12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Pothier

If the plans for Kingston's new building go through, look for them to make a serious push to host the 2008 Memorial Cup.

Old
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Default101

Quote:
I am aware of the new rink. The only point I was trying to make concerned the guaranteed "profit" required. They seem to keep kicking that up every year. Somebody has to make good on that guarantee. Is the city going to cover that?
i believe that the last time they bid against London and whoever else was in that bidding they had found a way to put together enough money to securely hold the Memorial Cup here, the new arena in Guelph was designed by the same guy that designed the Sarnia Sports and Entertainment Center and from what i heard built it very similar in size style and capacity, i have yet to go to a Guelph home game so i can't back that up, but thats what i have heard, i'm not saying that Sarnia will get it, but alot does depend on Oshawa's new building, Kingston's potential new building, Sarnia's building is only about 6, 7 years old and it was build especially for CHL level hockey. Basiclaly i'm saying Sarnia is almost guarenteed to be announced one of the finalists for the Memorial Cup, they have a City, Organization, a Mayor and A GM/Coach all determined to bring the Cup to the city, last time Sarnia did not build a team to compete at the memorial cup the team they build had their top players leaving the year before Camp/Millar brought the cup to the city of Guelph in 2002, and they're setting things up the same way in Sarnia in 2008, i think the fact they've been considered the last 2 times it came to the OHL a front runner for it but it's seems pretty clear that Oshawa, Kingston and Erie are all going to give a good run at it especially considering the last Memorial Cup was in the West.

Last edited by Default101: 01-04-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Closed Thread