HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Howard Stern

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2005, 10:03 AM
gdflynn1*

vCash: 500
OT: Howard Stern

Anyone make it down there, giev a post or 2 on what the scene was like. I streamed his speech via Yahoo, kind of impressed with Yahho covering this but, I digress. I know he has those that dislike him, but I am a fan and I wish him luck at Sirius.

BTW..Artie Lang is a slob.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Edge

Don't really miss him.

They stopped carrying him out west months ago and I can't say I really noticed.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Skroob*

Stern was funny in 1986. Too bad he lost all passion he had for the job and his fans.

Old
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I saw the Yahoo webcast and Sheryl Crow was terrific in her performance at the Hard Rock Cafe.Sirius held a party for Howard at the Hard Rock.Martha Stewart welcomed Stern to the Sirius family

Lesbian Dial a Date is four weeks away

Old
12-16-2005, 04:24 PM
in the hall

i personally never get into shows like this but where i used to work literally every cube was listening to stern in the morning

Old
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
free0717

BTW..Artie Lang is a slob.[/QUOTE]

Artie Lang is a handsome young man.

Old
12-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Martha Stewart welcomed Stern to the Sirius family
Could she be the next contestant on "Stump the Booey"?

Old
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
BeckeramosIsHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Could she be the next contestant on "Stump the Booey"?
robo-spanker?

Old
12-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Stern was funny in 1986. Too bad he lost all passion he had for the job and his fans.
Or until the FCC made it virtually impossible to be funny. And even under those circumstances, you either had to be part of the taliban or pat robertson to not find the stern show funny... even after 1986.

Old
12-16-2005, 11:32 PM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Or until the FCC made it virtually impossible to be funny. And even under those circumstances, you either had to be part of the taliban or pat robertson to not find the stern show funny... even after 1986.
But back in the 80s Stern could be funny without resorting to sex, farts, and sex. He used to do these hilarious skits (usually written by Jackie and Fred) that made fun of the news of the day. I'll never forget his "I Shred Lucy" skit that they did shortly after a well known murder with a wood chipper. And I loved his seemingly ongoing "Homo Songs of the 70s". He stopped doing all this stuff and I think it went downhill when his issues with Jackie got out of hand leading to Jackie leaving over a supposed salary dispute.

Back then it was humorous entertainment - often very sick and tasteless, but humorous. For the past several years, it's felt like just another talk show except that he talks about sex, farts, and sex.

Old
12-17-2005, 04:47 AM
BlueShirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
But back in the 80s Stern could be funny without resorting to sex, farts, and sex. He used to do these hilarious skits (usually written by Jackie and Fred) that made fun of the news of the day. I'll never forget his "I Shred Lucy" skit that they did shortly after a well known murder with a wood chipper. And I loved his seemingly ongoing "Homo Songs of the 70s". He stopped doing all this stuff and I think it went downhill when his issues with Jackie got out of hand leading to Jackie leaving over a supposed salary dispute.

Back then it was humorous entertainment - often very sick and tasteless, but humorous. For the past several years, it's felt like just another talk show except that he talks about sex, farts, and sex.
My thoughts exactly. Stern was great making fun off real news (like the Rodney King thing), politics, etc. However now (and probably the last 15 years or more) he is all about sex, sex, sex. I would rather watch sex than listen to it .

Old
12-17-2005, 10:24 AM
True Blue

Stern lost his appeal quite a while ago. He used to be different and innovative. Now, it's the same shtick all the time. Only for so long can you find midget prostitutes funny.

Old
12-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Well, seeing as how O&A completely built their careers during that same time period, the FCC has little to do with the ability to put on a funny show or not.

Old
12-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay

Well thats just it. Hoo-hoo had a funny show when he put funny people around him. Billy West was amazing, and is currently one of the top voice actors in hollywood (doing shows like Futurama), and Jackie, while often dropped lame jokes on air, wrote and helped produce many of the bits and skits behind the scenes. Artie Lang, while funny in his own right, just doesnt bring that to the table.

The reason that Hoo-hoo doesnt have those people any more is the fact that he has absolutely no respect for the people he works with. Never in his life did he stand up for a co-worker, and when people like Jackie arent being treaded right (with such things as salary), his motto is prety much "your on your own."

Old
12-17-2005, 11:31 AM
SML

Quote:
Well thats just it. Hoo-hoo had a funny show when he put funny people around him. Billy West was amazing, and is currently one of the top voice actors in hollywood (doing shows like Futurama), and Jackie, while often dropped lame jokes on air, wrote and helped produce many of the bits and skits behind the scenes. Artie Lang, while funny in his own right, just doesnt bring that to the table.

The reason that Hoo-hoo doesnt have those people any more is the fact that he has absolutely no respect for the people he works with. Never in his life did he stand up for a co-worker, and when people like Jackie arent being treaded right (with such things as salary), his motto is prety much "your on your own."
Now if Jackie was in a union, he could file a grievance...

Just kidding Skroob, just kidding

Old
12-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Now if Jackie was in a union, he could file a grievance...

Just kidding Skroob, just kidding

lol, ok now that was funny.

However, i do think there is a on-air talent union. When O&A got tossed from WNEW, i remember them saying how their union is doing nothing for them, and that they are glad they dont have one with Sat. radio.

Old
12-17-2005, 01:38 PM
OpAck

Quote:

However, i do think there is a on-air talent union. When O&A got tossed from WNEW, i remember them saying how their union is doing nothing for them, and that they are glad they dont have one with Sat. radio.
I was in a union long before any of my clones joined them...tell'em Fred...hoo hoo!

I was a Stern listener back in the 1990's. In my opinion, I just found that he totally lost his edge. Everything is about Howard now...and he has become the obnoxious, snobby celebrity that he would constantly ridicule back in his day. And Skroob, you're absolutely right about the talent he has on there with him. Howard should have never let Billy West or Jackie go...his show has suffered ever since. And I used to think Robin was a good mix for the show, but damn, she offers nothing interesting to the show, while sitting in that dunk tank.

Old
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
SML

Robin is Howard's lead ego stroker. Whatever comes out of his mouth, she is sure to whole heartedly agree and carry on further with. One of the biggest yes men ever, and I've never heard her disagree with anything her meal ticket has to say.

Old
12-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Robin is Howard's lead ego stroker.
Aside from that, her role is to sit there so he can do ethnic humor and not be called a racist.

Old
12-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
You should have listened to the last 2 weeks of the show.

What Howard appears to want most is to be different. Yes, the older shows were funny, but now every morning DJ on the planet does little skits and impersonations and all the funny stuff Stern did first in the late 80's. He offers listeners something they can't get anywhere else, that's what makes him successful. That's why I listen.

Old
12-17-2005, 05:47 PM
SML

If what you mean is undending praise of himself and his contributions to Radio,then I agree

Old
12-17-2005, 05:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
I was in a union long before any of my clones joined them...tell'em Fred...hoo hoo!

I was a Stern listener back in the 1990's. In my opinion, I just found that he totally lost his edge. Everything is about Howard now...and he has become the obnoxious, snobby celebrity that he would constantly ridicule back in his day. And Skroob, you're absolutely right about the talent he has on there with him. Howard should have never let Billy West or Jackie go...his show has suffered ever since. And I used to think Robin was a good mix for the show, but damn, she offers nothing interesting to the show, while sitting in that dunk tank.
Jackie left on his own.Artie is a much better fit for the show

What did Billy West add to the show?Besides making fun of Marge Schott,I don't remember anything that great about West and I starting listening to Howard in November 1985

Old
12-17-2005, 05:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

O&A got tossed off the air but they collected every last penny of their contract which did not end for nearly two years after they were fired by Infinity

Old
12-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
You should have listened to the last 2 weeks of the show.

What Howard appears to want most is to be different. Yes, the older shows were funny, but now every morning DJ on the planet does little skits and impersonations and all the funny stuff Stern did first in the late 80's. He offers listeners something they can't get anywhere else, that's what makes him successful. That's why I listen.

I knew a girl once who was more of a man than me. She could've given me something no other woman could have. I didn't want it....

Howard Stern used to be able to appeal to a broader spectrum, now he goes for the lowest common denominater. He was the first to take it to that higher level and he deserves credit for that, but frankly I've seen people do his shtick better than him now. It's kind of like The Simpsons for me. They were great, but at some point you begin to hang on too long and you get passed up. I think that's happened to Stern. Whereas you used to be the anti-celibrity he has bought into his own hype and now see's himself as the celebrity.

The show now has become a shadow of itself, but it's like a line from a movie about politics that I like. "People don't know any better" so they keep going back.I think Howard Stern expected the world to go "wow" when he left radio and for a little bit they did and then everyone said "Whatever". It's already been just about forgotten and he hasn't officially even started his new show yet.

Old
12-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
The show now has become a shadow of itself, but it's like a line from a movie about politics that I like. "People don't know any better" so they keep going back.
Who cares? I'll hit every show on the radio in the NYC market over the course of a month or so, and there isn't one that I find even remotely as entertaining. Is it because I live in a terrible radio market? Maybe, but ignorance is bliss. Bottom line, I enjoy the show.

What confuses me is the people in this thread who seem to know so much about the show, but say they don't listen to or like it.

Closed Thread