HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patient Poti can tune out critics

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
I have a hard time getting on board with booing Poti just because they guy next to me is, or when something is yelled at Poti you can get a few laughs from your section, or that I have convinced myself I know alot about hockey.
Some people just don't like Poti-type players. I don't. Are you a fan of Sandis Ozolinsh? I'm not. Good player in his own right, but defenseman with such a huge defensive downside have just never appealed to me and would never be chosen for a team I was building. Obviously, neither would Poti.

Old
12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Graveytrain

Sorry fellas, your sitting around waiting for a player that is never going to appear.. Poti has 3 points, all assists, at even strength....

for someone who is offensive or offensive minded, or whatever title you prefer to give him, that is bad...

He cant carry puck, he cant shoot it, doesnt know where to go without out, and doesntly know what to do with it when in position...

Old
12-17-2005, 01:43 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Some people just don't like Poti-type players. I don't. Are you a fan of Sandis Ozolinsh? I'm not. Good player in his own right, but defenseman with such a huge defensive downside have just never appealed to me and would never be chosen for a team I was building. Obviously, neither would Poti.
I agree with that Melrose. My thing is hes not going to get better by booing him. And for the select few who think its cool to boo him, and dont even know why, its even more madening.

Booing someone never got them traded, at least to my knowledge. Heck if that was the case the "Fire Sather" chants would have worked. Its not like hes flipping the bird to the crowd or showing an obviously lack of effort.

Poo on him when hes gone, but he's here for now.

Old
12-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain
He cant carry puck, he cant shoot it, doesnt know where to go without out, and doesntly know what to do with it when in position...
watch some hockey

Old
12-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
watch some hockey

I have been, for about 20 years it's great stuff you should give it shot sometime...

Old
12-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I have been, for about 20 years it's great stuff you should give it shot sometime...
either (a) you're a blind Poti hater or (b) you've never seen hockey

say what you want about Poti, he's soft, has no wrist shot, slap shot take an hour to wind up, turnovers at the most inopportune times, but he can't carry the puck? that's creative.

Old
12-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
either (a) you're a blind Poti hater or (b) you've never seen hockey

say what you want about Poti, he's soft, has no wrist shot, slap shot take an hour to wind up, turnovers at the most inopportune times, but he can't carry the puck? that's creative.
So you would rate Poti where when it comes to defensemen who carry the puck? Mabe rush is a better word but lets give it a shot... Taking it thru the neutral zone and turning into a deer in headlights once you hit the blue line is not my idea of quality... He is great at slowing the game down just enough to give the opponent a chance to make a play, which they usually do...

Old
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
So you would rate Poti where when it comes to defensemen who carry the puck? Mabe rush is a better word but lets give it a shot... Taking it thru the neutral zone and turning into a deer in headlights once you hit the blue line is not my idea of quality... He is great at slowing the game down just enough to give the opponent a chance to make a play, which they usually do...
although I don't understand what you just said, I'm confident that it's wrong

Old
12-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
although I don't understand what you just said, I'm confident that it's wrong
and your telling me to watch Hockey? lol...

I guess that means he ranks pretty low...

Old
12-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Take the "you don't watch hockey" debates to PM's please.

Old
12-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Fletch

abev...

some additional thoughts:

Poti's shot isn't brutal - although it's brutally inconsistent. He has a nice wrister, and a hard, inaccurate slapshot. Overall, he's a decent shot. The problem with TP is his decision making in the offensive zone. When he's playing well, he makes good decisions with the puck. When he's not playing well, he procrastinates with the puck resulting in bad shots which are often blocked.

He has decent hands - but again, inconsistent. When he pauses, he loses the puck. When he's confident, he makes plays.

Bottom line is Poti loses focus. When he plays more minutes, he plays better. When he's carrying the puck a lot, he plays better. Much like Kovalev. Play Kovalev 10 minutes per game and he doesn't get into it. Play him 22 and he gets 90 points. Some guys are like that. Poti seems to be the kind of guy that doesn't take criticism well - that happens, not everybody's a rock - although you'd like everyone on your team to be.

His three ES assists aren't totally indicative of bad playing though. The forwards, aside from a couple, aren't finishing, and if Poti's an offenseman, one has to wonder why he's not out there for everyone of Jagr's shifts. Would make sense.

Old
12-17-2005, 03:46 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Poti's shot isn't brutal - although it's brutally inconsistent. He has a nice wrister, and a hard, inaccurate slapshot. Overall, he's a decent shot. The problem with TP is his decision making in the offensive zone. When he's playing well, he makes good decisions with the puck. When he's not playing well, he procrastinates with the puck resulting in bad shots which are often blocked.

He has decent hands - but again, inconsistent. When he pauses, he loses the puck. When he's confident, he makes plays.

Bottom line is Poti loses focus. When he plays more minutes, he plays better. When he's carrying the puck a lot, he plays better. Much like Kovalev. Play Kovalev 10 minutes per game and he doesn't get into it. Play him 22 and he gets 90 points. Some guys are like that. Poti seems to be the kind of guy that doesn't take criticism well - that happens, not everybody's a rock - although you'd like everyone on your team to be.

His three ES assists aren't totally indicative of bad playing though. The forwards, aside from a couple, aren't finishing, and if Poti's an offenseman, one has to wonder why he's not out there for everyone of Jagr's shifts. Would make sense.
I can get on board with all of that.

Old
12-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Agreed on every point, Fletch.

Old
12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
eco's bones

I can understand where you're coming from Abev about the booing being counterproductive but his career here has been very frustrating to watch. I'm not interested in the York business so much but between Poti and Niinimaa who was traded by the Oilers at the same time I would have taken Niinimaa. Poti has been about as inconsistent as its possible to be offensively and the mental gaffes and the reluctance to play physical is what I find to be maddening. He has played better since the lackluster start to his season but even with those recent assists he's a long way from proving that he's a legitimate qb on our backline. He will be UFA this summer and without his offensive game picking up more than it has I think that his spot in the lineup is very upgradeable with someone else. At this point in time I would not be bringing him back next year. Of course what Sather actually does is another question.

Old
12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
IPoti has been about as inconsistent as its possible to be offensively and the mental gaffes and the reluctance to play physical is what I find to be maddening.
It's not the refusal to play physical that bothers me. You can be quite an effective defender even if you are not Marchment (see Lidstrom). As far as the physical aspect goes, it's the shying away from contact that bothers me. I have never seen a player (including Malik) who is so contact-averse as Poti is.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Fletch

I dunno TB...

while he's not going out and hitting people, at least he's not shying away from making the play in his own end when he knows he's about to be plastered. He's taken a bit of a beating this year in that regards and I've noticed other defensemen turn over pucks when they know they're going to get hit to avoid the hit. I know we'd like to see him throw a guy down here and there (like against the Canucks - while he stayed with his man, a push may've prevented a shot, and thus a goal), and I would too, but he's not really bothering all that much this season overall. Last season was mostly a disaster for him, save the last 10-13 games, which counted for nada and a lot of guys looked promising. I think he's improved and if Renney used him in more offensive situations (i.e., with Jagr, more on the PP (and a PP that uses its point guys more)), then I think you'd see more points from him - the operative word is 'think'. Poti has a habit of under-delivering.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Poti sucks

Closed Thread