HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Malakhov and the Devils' cap

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
SlapnutsV1

vCash: 500
Malakhov and the Devils' cap

I just read on ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2265084) near the bottom of the article that Vladimir Malakhov has retired.

How does this relate to the salary cap? Does a retiring player's salary immediately come off, or is it treated similarly to a player placed on injured reserve?

It's an obvious help to the Devils, as space has been created for Elias.

Old
12-19-2005, 01:01 PM
sveiglar

The salary is gone, as Hull's was in Phoenix.

Apparently Elias fits now. All is right with the world for Devils fans.

Old
12-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Tokyo Bucks

Interesting, I wonder subtle pressure on older less productive players to retire will increase, for teams with limited cap space.

Old
12-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Slitty

According to Russian Press, Malakhov was forced/pressured into retirement by Lamorello (sp?). Malahkov gave an interview which can be found here: http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?114458, I will translate for you:

Vladimir, what happened?
- I don't want a public discussion of what happened. Lets talk about the facts. As of yet, there is only one fact: starting Monday, I am a pensioner.

Did something or someone force you to retire?
-At the current stage, I dont want to go into specifics. On Saturday, after the game in Carolina, I did indeed talk to the General Manager of the team Lou Lamorello. You know the result.

Is any pressure exerted on you?
I cannot comment yet.

How can one explain the statement of your agent, which refuted that you retired?
It came at the moment when the situation was "shaken down"... (no idea what he means)

Is the financial aspect settled?
I no longer recieve a salary in New Jersey.

Can you return to proffessional hockey?
In the NHL - no.

What about in Russia?
I need to think about it.

If the need arises, SE, as a Russian newspaper, is ready to support you.
Thank you for the attention to my personna, and for the support.

Old
12-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Slitty

There was an interview (also with Valeri Bure - I didnt include this part) and an accompanying article.

The article said poor Malakhov suffered vast injustices just because he is not a player of international renown like Larionov (reference to the Larinov incident of 2 years ago). It says that Malakhov has been over-scrutinized and the tinniest of mistakes were not let go because some considered he was getting too much money. The article goes on to say that because of this, Lou "Sly Fox" Lamorello find a Soviet solution to the problem: no player = no problem with the salary cap and forced Malakhov to retire. It suggests that intervention from the NHLPA is neccessary, and suggests that Malakhov needs to get at least 2/3 of the 5.8 million dollars on his contract if he can prove that it was not him that broke the contract by leaving the team and "retiring". It ends with by urging us to root for Malakhov in achieving a dignified and successful end to an excellent career.

I would also imagine that if there was no pressure Malakhov would say something along the lines of Bret Hull's "I am not the player I once was, its time for me to go." I think he is holding back just to see if he can get the rest of his contract in a big paycheck through NHL investigation, NHLPA intervention, or simply part of it as a retirement bonus from Lou.

Old
12-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks
Interesting, I wonder subtle pressure on older less productive players to retire will increase, for teams with limited cap space.
They can clear the cap space simply by waiving the player. I'm sure that's what Lamoriello told Malakhov was going to happen and he chose to retire rather than play in the minors. Had Lamoriello not informed him beforehand, Malakhov would be whining it was disrespectful of Lou not to have the courtesy to tell him and let him spare himself the embarrassment by retiring. It's going to happen quite a bit, and it's entirely within the rules.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:31 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
The salary is gone, as Hull's was in Phoenix.

Apparently Elias fits now. All is right with the world for Devils fans.
Not completely correct.

Any future salary obligations are gone, but the $$$'s already paid to Vlad this year continues to count against New Jersey's Cap - based on a per day prorated basis from the average annual salary of his contract divided by the number of days in the regular season).

Old
12-21-2005, 07:01 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Not completely correct.

Any future salary obligations are gone, but the $$$'s already paid to Vlad this year continues to count against New Jersey's Cap - based on a per day prorated basis from the average annual salary of his contract divided by the number of days in the regular season).
Yes, what has been paid counts to the cap, but what is remaining to pay comes off; and that's all that matters, as that's about the amount that Elias will be paid for whatever portion of the season he plays.

Bob McKenzie made a point during last night's COL-NSH game on TSN that I wasn't aware of (and I don't know that anyone else was aware since I've never seen it here). Any player 35 yrs or older that signs a multi-year contract and retires will see that season's remaining salary not count towards the cap, but subsequent years will count in full. So, if he's correct on that, the Devils may well get a $3.6M cap hit for his salary next year (don't know if that means they have to pay him, or he just occupies $3.6M in cap room). I'd like to see if Bob posted in any of the Malakhov threads on the other boards to confirm that.

Old
12-21-2005, 07:40 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:

Bob McKenzie made a point during last night's COL-NSH game on TSN that I wasn't aware of (and I don't know that anyone else was aware since I've never seen it here). Any player 35 yrs or older that signs a multi-year contract and retires will see that season's remaining salary not count towards the cap, but subsequent years will count in full. So, if he's correct on that, the Devils may well get a $3.6M cap hit for his salary next year (don't know if that means they have to pay him, or he just occupies $3.6M in cap room). I'd like to see if Bob posted in any of the Malakhov threads on the other boards to confirm that.
I heard the same thing and posted it in the "Malakhov NOT retired" thread in the trade forum.

This is an intruiging new development and if it is true, it's going to hurt the Devils badly (assuming that Malakhov is actually retired).

Old
12-21-2005, 07:50 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
I heard the same thing and posted it in the "Malakhov NOT retired" thread in the trade forum.

This is an intruiging new development and if it is true, it's going to hurt the Devils badly (assuming that Malakhov is actually retired).
Well, it can hinder them in that they won't be able to sign many extra FAs, but I don't think it will cripple them. With the cap set to rise, they will still be able to take care of their own FAs and perhaps make a few smaller additions, though obviously dead cap space isn't a good thing for any franchise.

Old
12-21-2005, 07:59 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Well, it can hinder them in that they won't be able to sign many extra FAs, but I don't think it will cripple them. With the cap set to rise, they will still be able to take care of their own FAs and perhaps make a few smaller additions, though obviously dead cap space isn't a good thing for any franchise.
This is true, but we're talking about slightly less than 10% of cap space completely wasted (assuming that the Devils do take the cap hit like Mckenzie stated) and this is based on a 45 million cap (no one can say for sure if the cap will rise that much or if it will land in the mid 40's).

Old
12-21-2005, 08:05 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
This is true, but we're talking about slightly less than 10% of cap space completely wasted (assuming that the Devils do take the cap hit like Mckenzie stated) and this is based on a 45 million cap (no one can say for sure if the cap will rise that much or if it will land in the mid 40's).
Like I said, it isn't good... but I don't think it will keep them from re-signing anyone they need to re-sign (though I'm not sure who is up besides Gomez). Like I said in the other thread, it's the price they pay for signing Malakhov in the first place. What matters now is they're rid of him (cap-wise) for the rest of this season.

Old
12-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Aethon
12 Axes

Apparently this is not the Issue Malakhov has been suspended......

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...320.xml&coll=1

NEW YORK -- In an apparent attempt to prevent Vladimir Malakhov from walking away from almost $2.25 million this season and another $3.6 million next season, agent Paul Theofanous has told Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello that the defenseman wants a leave of absence and is not intending to retire.

Lamoriello isn't buying it.

"(Malakhov) never requested a leave of absence," Lamoriello said. "His agent requested that and I said no. If there is anything different, I'm not aware if it. He's not here and we have done what you do in that situation. He has been suspended and he is off the roster."

Lamoriello, who was told by Malakhov that he wanted to retire after the Devils returned from Raleigh, N.C., Saturday night, said the paperwork has yet to be signed to make the retirement official.

"Before you retire you have to get the paperwork signed," Lamoriello said. "If that player doesn't show up, you officially have to do something to get him off the roster. He's a suspended player."

Old
12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
puckeater

I wouldn't be so quick to think the matter is over. Malakhov and his agent are denying he's retired and the burden of proof is on Lou. Unless he has Malakhov's signature on a retirement letter, it ain't worth spit in contract law. Lou quickly resigned a replacement player to further complicate undoing his doings. The NHLPA should be all over this like a fat kid on a candy crying foul. So far, all I've heard Saskin saying on the matter is that if Malakhov leaves the team without permission, he forfeits his contract. You'd think there would be better support from your union prez.

EDIT: This stinks and Lou looks like the Grinch.

Old
12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
Apparently this is not the Issue Malakhov has been suspended......

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...320.xml&coll=1

NEW YORK -- In an apparent attempt to prevent Vladimir Malakhov from walking away from almost $2.25 million this season and another $3.6 million next season, agent Paul Theofanous has told Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello that the defenseman wants a leave of absence and is not intending to retire.

Lamoriello isn't buying it.

"(Malakhov) never requested a leave of absence," Lamoriello said. "His agent requested that and I said no. If there is anything different, I'm not aware if it. He's not here and we have done what you do in that situation. He has been suspended and he is off the roster."

Lamoriello, who was told by Malakhov that he wanted to retire after the Devils returned from Raleigh, N.C., Saturday night, said the paperwork has yet to be signed to make the retirement official.

"Before you retire you have to get the paperwork signed," Lamoriello said. "If that player doesn't show up, you officially have to do something to get him off the roster. He's a suspended player."
I don't think anyone can say for sure how it will all play out, but contract termination is probably even better than retirement, because if the contract is torn up then future seasons should disappear as well (I'm guessing). That's something that I'd love to see Mr. McKenzie look into and address.

Closed Thread