HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on w/Helminen?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2005, 09:32 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I don't know why everyone is so excited about this guy. Sather and staff did nothing outstanding here. Helminen acquistion was nothing that any other GM could have done. Right? That's what our own board experts said.
Is there any topic that you can be involved in that does not include pointless fawning over Sather's choices? The so-called experts do not see the need to keep pointing out his mistakes in every single post, do they? It's almost like a Sather-inferiority complex.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Fletch

What did the board experts say...

about Helminen? I thought many were excited to get a smart, defensive-type player from a good NCAA program. I think we all watched him on the scoresheets last year in Charlotte and Hartford, as well as got a chance to see him on TV a couple times. I further believe that most were happy with the return the Rangers got for Nedved - of course, as most remember, Nedved was an asset acquired prior to Sather - and of course, perhaps if Sather decided to move Nedved earlier - like at the height of the Czech Posse craze, maybe he would've gotten more of a bang for his buck and the rebuild would've begun in earnest a bit earlier - with the Rangers' record no worse as it may've still not have made the playoffs. Of course that's another debate for another time.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
So you don't have any point at all?

Some like Spezza, Staal, Vanek, Whitney, Lupul, Eminger, Roy, Suter all played in the AHL.
Do we need to list all AHL scoring leaders who never cracked it in the bigs?

I'm still expecting Helminen's high end to be Madden or a poor man's Marchant.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
about Helminen? I thought many were excited to get a smart, defensive-type player from a good NCAA program. I think we all watched him on the scoresheets last year in Charlotte and Hartford, as well as got a chance to see him on TV a couple times. I further believe that most were happy with the return the Rangers got for Nedved - of course, as most remember, Nedved was an asset acquired prior to Sather - and of course, perhaps if Sather decided to move Nedved earlier - like at the height of the Czech Posse craze, maybe he would've gotten more of a bang for his buck and the rebuild would've begun in earnest a bit earlier - with the Rangers' record no worse as it may've still not have made the playoffs. Of course that's another debate for another time.
I'm no board expert nor an insider like Park 2 (rangers get jackman or bertuzzi yet??)

I loved Helminen in college. I got ripped for saying so during the deadline deals thread. He is going to be better than madden and better than gianta.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Fletch

If he's better than Gionta and Madden...

and I ain't saying he will or won't because I haven't seen him play this season, then that will end up being one of Sather's best trades.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
and I ain't saying he will or won't because I haven't seen him play this season, then that will end up being one of Sather's best trades.
He is always around the puck. I couldn't believe it when we got him. He is small but man is he feisty. I would love to see a line of

Moore Helminen Ortmeyer

Fletch this kid is the real deal.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Fletch

If he's better than Gionta and Madden...

SoS, I'd give him linemates that are better than Ortmeyer and Moore, but that's something to worry about later rather than sooner. I hope you're right about Helminen. I really can't formulate an opinion other than note his imprved stats from last year to this season, from ECHL to AHL.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
SoS, I'd give him linemates that are better than Ortmeyer and Moore, but that's something to worry about later rather than sooner. I hope you're right about Helminen. I really can't formulate an opinion other than note his imprved stats from last year to this season, from ECHL to AHL.
why?

the kid is a two way checking center who has quick hands on faceoffs and soft hands around the net. Ortmeyer and Moore both are relentless forecheckers. It seems like the Rangers philosphy is "interchangable" players (although when i said that in august TB ripped me apart)

Old
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think Helminen and Immonen should be given a chance at some point this season.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Fletch

You're talking about Helminen...

as a 20-30 goal scorer - I just think to get that he's going to need a bit more ice time that I wouldn't be willing to give Moore and Ortmeyer.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
McRanger

Helminen is listed as a center, does he play wing at all?

Closed Thread