Why does everyone hate the Stars so????

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
1) True

2) True...half of them are atleast. People that come on the message boards aren't though obviously.

3) True

4) True

5) True

This guy is good.

Old
12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
VaporXX

vCash: 500
I hate the Stars because Quebec and Winnipeg have no team and Fatty-Land does.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37
2) True...half of them are atleast. People that come on the message boards aren't though obviously.
NASCAR, not so much. Auto racing isn't as big in Texas as it is in southeastern states. Football, Baseball & Hunting/Fishing are probably the most popular pastimes here..

Hockey is growing quite a bit though. Lots of ice in Dallas, quite a few rinks in Houston. College Station even has a nice facility..

Old
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

True on the half that a lot of people in Texas are there just to see the fights. I hate Nascar..don't really know many people that are into Nascar around these parts.

It's actually growing a lot in East Texas. Longview has CHL team (Central Hockey League) about an hour east of us in Shreveport and ton of people go there to see hockey now that football season is over.

But obviously Football is still the major sport in the State of Texas.

Old
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Mihai

Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
Bit offtopic now but stars fans are in Romania also

As for the fanbase, indeed you dont need 10 000 fans in Edmonton, that wouldnt help the team a whole lot. If the people in Dallas like the team its more than enough to keep it there.

Old
12-23-2005, 06:14 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXX
I hate the Stars because Quebec and Winnipeg have no team and Fatty-Land does.

SEE.. It's just like when the Blue jays won the world series no one hated...... Oh wait, we did hate a Canadian team winning the World Series, hell they got hockey, they shouldnt even have a team.....OOPS.. sorry

Old
12-23-2005, 06:16 AM
hockeyhomer99

BTW...Glu is right.. we should have about 1.5 million or so fans in Finland, I think we are their largest employer...

Old
12-23-2005, 07:18 AM
puckwild

Because they should be playing tonight at the Xcel Energy Center, as the home team. And all you guys should be on the Cowboys board, where you belong.

By the way, do they sell Copenhagen at the American Airlines Center?

Old
12-23-2005, 12:42 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Because they're beautiful.

Old
12-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckwild
Because they should be playing tonight at the Xcel Energy Center, as the home team. And all you guys should be on the Cowboys board, where you belong.
Cowboys? Uck.

Texans all the way..oo wait they're 2-12...oo well. Go Texans!

Old
12-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Habsruleen

Does everyone really hate the Stars? I don't. I just don't care about them.

Old
12-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Dallasman

I'm glad that hockey has taken off in a market that it's probley not supposed to be taking off in. I'm glad that ice is poping up all over the place and kids are getting into hockey big-time down there. Up in Canada, more and more kids are dropping out of hockey from what I have heard. It's good that it is picking up in other places. The Stars have definetly helped this process a lot.

On Texas itself, if I had to live anywhere else in the world, I would choose Texas. Dallas preferably. But Texas is like Alberta in someways. Lots of oil and a great love for sports. Your High School football is unbelivable down there. Towns shut-down and people all go to watch the game. You don't find anything like that so much up here in Canada. Not to my knowledge anyways. Texas just seems like a place I would like to live because it would remind of home, with hotter weather though.

Old
12-23-2005, 03:09 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

i can't speak for everyone, but I know I hate the Stars cause I am an Oilers fan

That being said. Our teams do seem to bring out the best in each other. Given that both are teams are playing pretty well this year, I would like to play you guys again in the playoffs.

And as to people saying hockey doesn't belong in Texas, they are crazy, the Stars have been a major success story in the NHL and they absolutely deserve to have a team, if not two!

Of course I do still hate all of you and all your players hehe

see you in the playoffs...

Old
12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
Your High School football is unbelivable down there. Towns shut-down and people all go to watch the game.
Understatement *clapclap, clapclapclap* Understatement. *clapclap, clapclapclap*

I've always said..
"You know you're in Texas when you have a heart attack over a high school football game."

Old
12-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Favvi

i hate the stars because im an oilers fan.

Old
12-23-2005, 05:20 PM
starshockeyfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards
Why people hate the Stars:
1) Texas is seen as a non-traditional market, people think hockey doesn't belong there. Although now Texas has more pro-hockey teams than any other US state or Canadian province.

2) Elitist fans from the north assume that Texas fans are a bunch of beer-gut NASCAR fans just watching for the fights.

3) Success

4) We played a defense-first trapping system for a pretty long time.

5) Salaries - Opposing fans hated the teams that spent big before the cap

Edmonton:
A hated rival. But very, very well respected. EDM vs. DAL is as good as playoff hockey gets. I just wish some of those series would've been conference finals.. That would've been epic..

The '99 Cup:
It was a goal. According to the rules, a player with posession of the puck could do the macarena in the crease before scoring and it would still be 100% legal. Hull gained posession when he received the pass with his skate. He kicked the puck to his stick, then scored. Later on, even Lindy Ruff agreed that it was the right call.

pretty much nailed that on the head for the most part.

Old
12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

As a Stars fan, I guess I'm supposed to hate the Oilers back... but I don't. All those years with those jacked up barns and tough/speedy Oilers teams were intense and fun. By the end of all those series, I wanted the Oilers to play somebody else -- and win. They played hard, had passionate fans, and probably deserved better than what they got (though they did get an upset). If the Oilers were playing anyone else in the first round, I would probably root for them.

Yeah, during all those series that paricular media was pretty whiney and at times very insulting to Texans (all the Canadian media have -- as if Canada is the very model of sophisticated, cosompolitan living in contrast to the inbred hicks who make up Dallas's miniscule 7 million metropolitan population), but part of that I just chalk up to human nature. At least now, payroll won't be the most popular subject of ire.

But, if the Oilers were to play someone else? Yeah, I'd root for them for sure. It's time for them to win something again. They're ready.

Old
12-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
I don't know if anyone truly hates the Stars.

I mean, we're basically Team Finland, and no one hates Finland really except Sweden (and even then, I doubt it's a true hatred). But the majority of our top prospects are Swedish, so the Swedes can't hate us either.

And to hate both Finland and Sweden, well, I don't know if that's possible!
Well, most swedes don't hate Finland i think, there's just rivalry. Finland however has more of the hatred kind of grudge when playing us. It's only since the mid nineties the finns actually had a good team, but in the years before that, the only time they _really_ gave an effort was the games played vs Sweden, and that's why it was always close. They lost all the other games like 10-0

Last edited by Refuse: 12-23-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old
12-24-2005, 09:40 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
I'm glad that hockey has taken off in a market that it's probley not supposed to be taking off in. I'm glad that ice is poping up all over the place and kids are getting into hockey big-time down there. Up in Canada, more and more kids are dropping out of hockey from what I have heard. It's good that it is picking up in other places. The Stars have definetly helped this process a lot.

On Texas itself, if I had to live anywhere else in the world, I would choose Texas. Dallas preferably. But Texas is like Alberta in someways. Lots of oil and a great love for sports. Your High School football is unbelivable down there. Towns shut-down and people all go to watch the game. You don't find anything like that so much up here in Canada. Not to my knowledge anyways. Texas just seems like a place I would like to live because it would remind of home, with hotter weather though.
Yeah when you have to play high school football games at Texas Stadium because you are drawing 35-45,000 people, now thats loving yoour sport.

Old
12-25-2005, 10:03 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhomer99
I think it is because their name is not in the National Anthem
r u talking about in the city of Dallas or from the rest of the nhl fans?

Old
12-26-2005, 12:21 AM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56
... the Hull goal was completely legitimate, do your research instead of throwing out comments like "never earned the Cup."...
and you wonder why the Stars aren't liked...

Old
12-26-2005, 12:39 AM
se7en*

I hate the Stars totally.

I'd like to think that I hate the Flames the most, but thoughts of Belfour stoning us in the playoffs (BELLLL-FOUR!) Turco hacking Smyth's face, Modano embellishing for a call and scoring a timely goal against us over and over again, Keane telling us to "go home!", Benoit Hogue of all people breaking our hearts...there is too much recent history there.

I am touched to hear that Stars fans really respect us fans, and our team.

But, I respect Stars fans totally. I post sometimes at the Stars forum and the fans are really good people! I love you guys.

Old
12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
and you wonder why the Stars aren't liked...
To say a team didn't earn a Stanley Cup, after fighting through over 100 games and be in a position to win the Stanley Cup even if "it wasn't a goal" (which it was)...is absolutely insane and there is no reason for us not to get upset over that.

Who knows if Buffalo would've been able to come to Dallas for a Game 7 and win it. Who knows even if they had ruled it a no goal, if Buffalo would've even tied the series up. Nobody knows and it doesn't matter cause Dallas has their name on the Cup.

Just my thoughts, not that they mean anything.

Old
12-26-2005, 01:21 AM
toth939

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards
Later on, even Lindy Ruff agreed that it was the right call.
Where did you get this from? Ruff never agreed that "it was the right call." Immediately following the game Ruff asked Bettman for an explanation and Bettman just walked away.

The goal clearly shouldn't have counted. Hull's skate was in the crease when the puck entered the net. That type of goal had been disallowed numerous times throughout the playoffs. All that crap about "possession" had NEVER been used to justify a goal when the player was in the crease that season. The reason so many Sabres fans are upset about it, (besides the fact that it happened in game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals), is that the goal was never reviewed in the first place. And on top of that, the league lied about it.

Bryan Lewis, the NHL's director of officiating, said as soon as the goal was scored, off-ice officials immediately went to the video replay for a review.

"Every such goal has been reviewed by the NHL since the start of the season, including this one," Lewis said.

But only 13 seconds elapsed from the time the puck crossed the goal line to when all the media ran onto the ice, thus ending the review period. There is no way that they gave the goal an honest review in 13 seconds. Games were usually delayed minutes for that type of review.

The NHL should have just apologized after screwing up and said that it shouldn't have been a goal and that mistakes happen. But instead they tried to insist that it was a good goal by referring to obscure rules and memos.

Every Stars fan knows deep-down that the goal should have been disallowed. Otherwise they are just kidding themselves. I didn't blame the Dallas' players then, and I have no hate for the Stars now. But that was the worst day in the history of the National Hockey League, and it won't be forgotten, especially in Buffalo.

Old
12-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Dat1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toth939
Where did you get this from? Ruff never agreed that "it was the right call." Immediately following the game Ruff asked Bettman for an explanation and Bettman just walked away.

The goal clearly shouldn't have counted. Hull's skate was in the crease when the puck entered the net. That type of goal had been disallowed numerous times throughout the playoffs. All that crap about "possession" had NEVER been used to justify a goal when the player was in the crease that season. The reason so many Sabres fans are upset about it, (besides the fact that it happened in game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals), is that the goal was never reviewed in the first place. And on top of that, the league lied about it.

Bryan Lewis, the NHL's director of officiating, said as soon as the goal was scored, off-ice officials immediately went to the video replay for a review.

"Every such goal has been reviewed by the NHL since the start of the season, including this one," Lewis said.

But only 13 seconds elapsed from the time the puck crossed the goal line to when all the media ran onto the ice, thus ending the review period. There is no way that they gave the goal an honest review in 13 seconds. Games were usually delayed minutes for that type of review.

The NHL should have just apologized after screwing up and said that it shouldn't have been a goal and that mistakes happen. But instead they tried to insist that it was a good goal by referring to obscure rules and memos.

Every Stars fan knows deep-down that the goal should have been disallowed. Otherwise they are just kidding themselves. I didn't blame the Dallas' players then, and I have no hate for the Stars now. But that was the worst day in the history of the National Hockey League, and it won't be forgotten, especially in Buffalo.
The worst day in the history of the NHL? Really? Seriously? I think the worst day in the history of the NHL was less than 1 year ago. We may disagree about it, but a season gone in this day and age, is unfathomable. Dallas got screwed in that one, too.

Oh, and for the record. The goal was A-okay.

Bill Masterton may want some love as far as worst day in the NHL history, as he died because of an injury sustained while playing.

Closed Thread