HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHLPA appeals Wideman suspension (UPD: Suspension reduced)

Old
02-25-2016, 09:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...y-case-appeal/

And the NFL "Deflategate" appeal has hit the federal courts.

So, it's not just the NHL "justice" system that runs slowly.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2016, 12:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

SXM had Flames reporter on this morning. Hearing yesterday (Thursday). So now we wait (max 48 hours) for result.

Old
02-28-2016, 11:40 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...d-week-march-7

Decision expected on March 7

Old
02-29-2016, 01:50 AM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
That means Wideman will have missed at least 17 games. So really the whole appeal was pretty much a waste of time other than possibly getting some money back and gaining a couple extra games if the ruling goes in his favor. I have to think he might have been better off just quietly accepting the suspension and moved on with his career afterwards.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 10:10 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
From Forbes: why Wideman's appeal will fail.

https://t.co/BuvlU24WZi

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 10:25 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirikanoir View Post
That means Wideman will have missed at least 17 games. So really the whole appeal was pretty much a waste of time other than possibly getting some money back and gaining a couple extra games if the ruling goes in his favor. I have to think he might have been better off just quietly accepting the suspension and moved on with his career afterwards.
A half million is still a lot of money, even for these guys.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
A half million is still a lot of money, even for these guys.
True but correct me if I`m wrong I`m assuming that unless the arbitrator rules that there should be no suspension at all (unlikely) even if the suspension were to be reduced Wideman would still have some financial punishment and would not get the entire half million back.

Then given that even if his suspension was reduced he will still have missed close to the original 20 games, it becomes a question whether the money he saves is worth the extra publicity that appealing the case brings and the hit to his reputation because of it.

Old
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
True but correct me if I`m wrong I`m assuming that unless the arbitrator rules that there should be no suspension at all (unlikely) even if the suspension were to be reduced Wideman would still have some financial punishment and would not get the entire half million back.

Then given that even if his suspension was reduced he will still have missed close to the original 20 games, it becomes a question whether the money he saves is worth the extra publicity that appealing the case brings and the hit to his reputation because of it.
A week after it's over no one is going to remember there was an appeal. Even now the publicity is rather minuscule.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 01:26 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

For what its worth, Burke was on Sportnet around noon in the TDL program and got asked what he taught about Wideman's process.

He said it was far from being over. He said while the arbitrator said he will expedite the decision, the parties have barely started exposing their arguments Friday. So he thinks this is far from over.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
A week after it's over no one is going to remember there was an appeal. Even now the publicity is rather minuscule.
I don`t know about that, I think that people are going to remember him as the guy that took out that linesman for quite a while.

And then there is the possibility of future legal action from linesman Don Henderson especially if his health does not improve and he is unable to come back to work. So as much as I`m sure Wideman just wants it all to go away, his troubles may be far from over yet

Old
02-29-2016, 09:41 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
I don`t know about that, I think that people are going to remember him as the guy that took out that linesman for quite a while.

And then there is the possibility of future legal action from linesman Don Henderson especially if his health does not improve and he is unable to come back to work. So as much as I`m sure Wideman just wants it all to go away, his troubles may be far from over yet
Speaking of which...any idea if the process of the appeal could have any influence in a legal action out of the ice ?

Like could a judge take into consideration that Wideman went thru all possible processes to claim he was not guilty if there was some follow up (out of NHL jurisdiction) ?

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 09:26 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:

is Henderson unable to work?

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
is Henderson unable to work?

I believe he suffered a concussion and back injury from the hit.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2016, 02:53 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Reduced to 10 games. Considering he's already sat 19, the length of the process is absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.tsn.ca/wideman-s-suspensi...games-1.451884

I'm in the minority but I never felt there was clear sign of intent and should have been 10 games to begin with.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2016, 03:03 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Reduced to 10 games. Considering he's already sat 19, the length of the process is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in the minority but I never felt there was clear sign of intent and should have been 10 games to begin with.
let the games begin ...

surprising.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

He hit an official and the CBA states 20 games. No reason for the NHL to do otherwise.

Old
03-11-2016, 03:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

From recent media comments I've heard on SXM, it was all about the $$, not so much the games missed.

So, he'll get paid for nine games he missed.

Old
03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He hit an official and the CBA states 20 games. No reason for the NHL to do otherwise.
The CBA doesn't cover it at all. I assume you mean the rule book and even then, nowhere does it say hitting an official is 20 games. It's 10 games if physical force without intent to injure. 20 games is only applied if there's physical force with intent to injure or the player "strikes" the referee and injures him.

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately
applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions
as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent
to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended
for not less than ten (10) games.

It was open to interpretation. The NHL chose to interpret it one way, an independent arbitrator interpreted it a different way.

Quote:
From recent media comments I've heard on SXM, it was all about the $$, not so much the games missed.

So, he'll get paid for nine games he missed.
At this point that's all it can be about. If the Flames were battling for a playoff spot and were without a player for 9 games cause of the length of the process, it's kind of ridiculous.

Last edited by cheswick: 03-11-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old
03-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
The CBA doesn't cover it at all. I assume you mean the rule book and even then, nowhere does it say hitting an official is 20 games. It's 10 games if physical force without intent to injure. 20 games is only applied if there's physical force with intent to injure or the player "strikes" the referee and injures him.

40.3 Automatic Suspension Category II - Any player who deliberately
applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions
as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent
to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended
for not less than ten (10) games.

It was open to interpretation. The NHL chose to interpret it one way, an independent arbitrator interpreted it a different way.

At this point that's all it can be about. If the Flames were battling for a playoff spot and were without a player for 9 games cause of the length of the process, it's kind of ridiculous.
Sure, but it looked very blatant. The player didn't contest that but claimed concussion symptoms were to blame.

The team's status isn't relevant because the CBA doesn't leave it open to those qualifiers.

Old
03-11-2016, 03:55 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Sure, but it looked very blatant. The player didn't contest that but claimed concussion symptoms were to blame.

The team's status isn't relevant because the CBA doesn't leave it open to those qualifiers.

I'm not saying that the CBA leaves any options open. I'm just saying imo the length of the appeals process is ridiculous and it would have been even worse if the Flames were in a meaningful battle.

For those interested in the full text of the decision:
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/A...%20Wideman.pdf

Old
03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/...0-to-10-games/

For posterity, the NHL and NHLPA statements
Quote:
The NHL has released the following statement:

“We are in receipt of Arbitrator James Oldham’s Opinion in the appeal of Dennis Wideman’s supplementary discipline suspension and reducing the suspension from 20 to 10 games. We strenuously disagree with the Arbitrator’s ruling and are reviewing the Opinion in detail to determine what next steps may be appropriate. We will have no further comment until we have completed our review. In light of and in response to Arbitrator Oldham’s Opinion, Mr. Wideman will be reinstated and will be eligible to participate in his team’s games, effective immediately.”

And here’s the NHLPA’s statement:

“Given that it was undisputed that Dennis suffered a concussion mere seconds prior to his collision with linesman Don Henderson, we felt strongly that there should have been no discipline. Nonetheless we are pleased that Arbitrator Oldham found that the collision was not intentional and that the suspension was reduced to 10 games. We respect the process and the decision and we look forward to Dennis returning to the ice tonight with his teammates.”

Old
03-11-2016, 04:03 PM
gstommylee

What a joke. No way in the world it should been reduced.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2016, 09:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Old
03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I for one am happy to see Wideman's appeal a relative success. Yes, he hit an official, but it was clear from the video itself that Wideman wasn't all there when the incident occured. It's unfortunate that it happened to be an official that he hit, but it's clear to me that this league still has no idea how concussions actually work.

Just my two cents.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

vCash: 50
Quote:
It should be. It's a joke.

If anything, they should have added games for his callous texts after they surfaced. I don't care if it's his fist time, what a jack ass.

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote