HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to be a great passer?

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 01:43 PM
JMR27

vCash: 500
How to be a great passer?

Any techniques out there that I can try other than hitting the target of course.

Also should I try a straighter blade ?

thanks

Old
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
DaveyCrockett

It would be good if you could be more specific with the problems you are having now. One quick tip is that you want to avoid telegraphing your passes, so be quick and use your peripheral vision.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
JMR27

Instincts are there , I guess what I mean is flipping the puck over sticks "saucer " passes.

thanks

Old
01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
shorre

practice , practice and more practice.when u r on the ice try the saucer over a line or to a player.when at home put a stick on the ground and pass over it.remember the puck kinda rolls off the blade from heel to toe.when im in warm up before a game i always saucer a pass on my backhand to a teammate since i feel thats the hardest.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
shorre

and yes a straighter blade does help . i find the larger the curve (for me that is) the less control i have .everyone is comfortable with different curves so find whats best for u.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
JMR27

U r right about the the straight blade I feel that it is more flush with the ice and puck.

Game 2 morrow night , thanks

Old
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Also a thing some peple forget is to pass INFRONT of the player (in his stride) and not where he is. A good pass in the stride of a player can be a great way to set up an attack.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Incarnation

Keep your head up and look where you pass to.

Old
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
shorre

and do not admire your pass!!!!ouch im still feeling it

Old
01-05-2006, 03:19 PM
JMR27

cool ,

Old
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Pothier

Pass it to where your target is going to be, not where his is.

Yeah, like another poster said, don't admire you're passes. A mistake many Rec-league players make.

Old
01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Steelhead16

Learn to play every position even if you don't actually ever play them. If you know where a guy is supposed to be you don't have to waste time finding him. When you're on the bench watch where other people are at during certain situations. That doesn't mean you can make blind passes afterward but at least your target should be in the first place you look. There isn't usually time to look around for very long.

Old
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16
Learn to play every position even if you don't actually ever play them. If you know where a guy is supposed to be you don't have to waste time finding him. When you're on the bench watch where other people are at during certain situations. That doesn't mean you can make blind passes afterward but at least your target should be in the first place you look. There isn't usually time to look around for very long.
So stupid, but so true, I take time to evaluate a player when i'm on the ice with him. Never EVER really purposely study the game when i'm on the bench. I solely rely on instinct (spelling), always worked fine, but now I guess I'll ''know'' dude is at whatever place instead of just ''knowing'' (did that make sens)

Old
01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
So stupid, but so true, I take time to evaluate a player when i'm on the ice with him. Never EVER really purposely study the game when i'm on the bench. I solely rely on instinct (spelling), always worked fine, but now I guess I'll ''know'' dude is at whatever place instead of just ''knowing'' (did that make sens)
No, and it didn't make for good spelling either

Old
01-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Jacob

Not that I consider myself a great passer by any means but I've always felt my passing game was my biggest asset.. I'd say three rules I always stick to are pretty basic ones-

Pass to an area where the player can skate into the puck. It's not really about threading the needle but more about distributing to open teammates.

Keep your head up and on a swivel, even if it may mean taking your tempo down a notch or two.

Try to control the velocity to your passes depending on the situation. There are times when you have to really fire it to an open teammate and there are also times when you need to back off and just move the puck into open space.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:58 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
Also a thing some peple forget is to pass INFRONT of the player (in his stride) and not where he is. A good pass in the stride of a player can be a great way to set up an attack.
So true, yet a lot of people have a hard time learning this.

You can practice all you want at passing and technique, but some people just have better hockey sense and on ice vision plus they are able to read the plays better than others, allowing passing to come to them much easier.

The best thing you can do is watch as much hockey as you can and work on your accuracy for when the moments do strike.

Old
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
TheLokNesMonster

My passes, particularly the longer break out passes, are much more accurate when I slap them instead of pushing them (like a wrist shot). The slap pass tends to hug the ice and arrive with more velocity...

Closed Thread