HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pond Hockey Question.

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
22PePe22

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
Pond Hockey Question.

Hey i have a nice pond by me but i was wondering how i could resurface it after we play on it all day.. I dont have a pump and some one told me to drill hole in it and the water woudl seep on...any other ideas?

Old
12-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofrostonoo
Hey i have a nice pond by me but i was wondering how i could resurface it after we play on it all day.. I dont have a pump and some one told me to drill hole in it and the water woudl seep on...any other ideas?

Buckets and players carrying them from the nearest tap. A hose from the nearest tap to shorten the idstance works. A mop is handy as well.

Old
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Icer

Cut a hole in the ice and use a garden hose. Put one end in the hole and hang the hose over a net. Suck on the other end until the water starts to flow. The water will keep coming as long as you keep the end of the hose lower than the top of the net. It's a million times easier than using a bucket. The mop idea is a good one, though.

Oh, and don't put the hole too close to the rink. Any snow on the ice will press the ice down and water will seep out of the hole until the hole freezes. If the hole is right next to the rink, this could overflow onto part of the rink ruin your nice smooth surface.

Old
12-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Cut a hole in the ice and use a garden hose. Put one end in the hole and hang the hose over a net. Suck on the other end until the water starts to flow. The water will keep coming as long as you keep the end of the hose lower than the top of the net. It's a million times easier than using a bucket. The mop idea is a good one, though.

Oh, and don't put the hole too close to the rink. Any snow on the ice will press the ice down and water will seep out of the hole until the hole freezes. If the hole is right next to the rink, this could overflow onto part of the rink ruin your nice smooth surface.
The source (pond) would have to be above the end of the hose for flow to continue.

Old
12-21-2005, 12:49 AM
22PePe22

Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer

I gotcha, it will need alot of suction but idk if my friends sister is available.

Old
12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Puckboy

Get a cordless drill, and you can buy a pump attachment for it. Will takes ome time and probabaly a couple of batteries, but it will free up your friends sister

Old
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
The source (pond) would have to be above the end of the hose for flow to continue.

Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.

Old
12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.
I was gona argue. But I would first need an encyclopedia and some time alone.

Old
12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
TheLokNesMonster

Quote:
Nope!!

You need to take up another sport. You are clearly too smart to be a real hockey player...

Old
12-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLokNesMonster
You need to take up another sport. You are clearly too smart to be a real hockey player...

My hockey career was quite a bit of pickup roller hockey as a kid, alot of foot hockey during school lunchbreaks, and the occasional winter pond hockey game or trip to the rink. Otheriwse, not a hockey player, a hockey fan here.

Don't worry, other sports are already taken up quite seriously.

I learned the concept of "water tension" for an individual project in grade 7 Science and "transpiration pull" was covered in Biology 11 I believe. That, along with the some elementary knowledge of honours highschool physics is vital to anyone hoping to construct a pond hockey rink my friends.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Buckets and players carrying them from the nearest tap. A hose from the nearest tap to shorten the idstance works. A mop is handy as well.
Exactly.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
What bothers me about the method described, is what about the fact that the weight of the ice is no longer supported as the water below it is removed? Think about it, if the water level below the ice goes down even just an inch, you have a sheet suspended over air. For the occassional resurfacing, I guess not that much water is needed, and a lot of ponds have streams that supply it which may not be completely frozen over. Still, something to be careful of.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:28 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Nope!!

Exploiting the surface tension of water might allow water to seep a milimeter or so up the sides of a garden hose.

Old
01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Kung Pow

What do you think happens with ice fishing?...Loads of holes all over the lake, and no collapse. Don't worry all will be fine.

Closed Thread