HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pond Hockey Question.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
  #1
22PePe22
Registered User
 
22PePe22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
Pond Hockey Question.

Hey i have a nice pond by me but i was wondering how i could resurface it after we play on it all day.. I dont have a pump and some one told me to drill hole in it and the water woudl seep on...any other ideas?

22PePe22 is offline  
Old
12-20-2005, 02:59 PM
  #2
Slitty
Registered User
 
Slitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofrostonoo
Hey i have a nice pond by me but i was wondering how i could resurface it after we play on it all day.. I dont have a pump and some one told me to drill hole in it and the water woudl seep on...any other ideas?


Buckets and players carrying them from the nearest tap. A hose from the nearest tap to shorten the idstance works. A mop is handy as well.

Slitty is offline  
Old
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
  #3
Icer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Cut a hole in the ice and use a garden hose. Put one end in the hole and hang the hose over a net. Suck on the other end until the water starts to flow. The water will keep coming as long as you keep the end of the hose lower than the top of the net. It's a million times easier than using a bucket. The mop idea is a good one, though.

Oh, and don't put the hole too close to the rink. Any snow on the ice will press the ice down and water will seep out of the hole until the hole freezes. If the hole is right next to the rink, this could overflow onto part of the rink ruin your nice smooth surface.

Icer is offline  
Old
12-20-2005, 06:18 PM
  #4
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Cut a hole in the ice and use a garden hose. Put one end in the hole and hang the hose over a net. Suck on the other end until the water starts to flow. The water will keep coming as long as you keep the end of the hose lower than the top of the net. It's a million times easier than using a bucket. The mop idea is a good one, though.

Oh, and don't put the hole too close to the rink. Any snow on the ice will press the ice down and water will seep out of the hole until the hole freezes. If the hole is right next to the rink, this could overflow onto part of the rink ruin your nice smooth surface.
The source (pond) would have to be above the end of the hose for flow to continue.

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
12-21-2005, 12:49 AM
  #5
22PePe22
Registered User
 
22PePe22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Cut a hole in the ice and use a garden hose. Put one end in the hole and hang the hose over a net. Suck on the other end until the water starts to flow. The water will keep coming as long as you keep the end of the hose lower than the top of the net. It's a million times easier than using a bucket. The mop idea is a good one, though.

Oh, and don't put the hole too close to the rink. Any snow on the ice will press the ice down and water will seep out of the hole until the hole freezes. If the hole is right next to the rink, this could overflow onto part of the rink ruin your nice smooth surface.

I gotcha, it will need alot of suction but idk if my friends sister is available.

22PePe22 is offline  
Old
12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
  #6
Puckboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Get a cordless drill, and you can buy a pump attachment for it. Will takes ome time and probabaly a couple of batteries, but it will free up your friends sister

Puckboy is offline  
Old
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
  #7
Slitty
Registered User
 
Slitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
The source (pond) would have to be above the end of the hose for flow to continue.

Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.

Slitty is offline  
Old
12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
  #8
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.
I was gona argue. But I would first need an encyclopedia and some time alone.

znk is offline  
Old
12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
  #9
TheLokNesMonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.
You need to take up another sport. You are clearly too smart to be a real hockey player...

TheLokNesMonster is offline  
Old
12-28-2005, 01:26 AM
  #10
Slitty
Registered User
 
Slitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLokNesMonster
You need to take up another sport. You are clearly too smart to be a real hockey player...

My hockey career was quite a bit of pickup roller hockey as a kid, alot of foot hockey during school lunchbreaks, and the occasional winter pond hockey game or trip to the rink. Otheriwse, not a hockey player, a hockey fan here.

Don't worry, other sports are already taken up quite seriously.

I learned the concept of "water tension" for an individual project in grade 7 Science and "transpiration pull" was covered in Biology 11 I believe. That, along with the some elementary knowledge of honours highschool physics is vital to anyone hoping to construct a pond hockey rink my friends.

Slitty is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
  #11
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14
 
Freddie Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Buckets and players carrying them from the nearest tap. A hose from the nearest tap to shorten the idstance works. A mop is handy as well.
Exactly.

Freddie Mercury is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
  #12
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
The source (pond) would have to be above the end of the hose for flow to continue.
What bothers me about the method described, is what about the fact that the weight of the ice is no longer supported as the water below it is removed? Think about it, if the water level below the ice goes down even just an inch, you have a sheet suspended over air. For the occassional resurfacing, I guess not that much water is needed, and a lot of ponds have streams that supply it which may not be completely frozen over. Still, something to be careful of.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 02:28 PM
  #13
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Nope!!

Water tension and "transpiration pull" combine to defy gravity and keep water flowing up to replace the water above it that is moving up.
Exploiting the surface tension of water might allow water to seep a milimeter or so up the sides of a garden hose.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
  #14
Kung Pow
Registered User
 
Kung Pow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Red Deer, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
What do you think happens with ice fishing?...Loads of holes all over the lake, and no collapse. Don't worry all will be fine.

Kung Pow is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.