HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Salary cap expansion?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Salary cap expansion?

OK, I don't have a link to this but, two or three days ago, following an angry Robitaille article (Daily News?), there was a blurb about how next season the salary cap would extend to between $40 and $45 million.

1) Can anyone confirm this?

2) Does anyone know WHY this expansion would occur?

3) What would this mean for the Kings?

Thanks!

Old
12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
OK, I don't have a link to this but, two or three days ago, following an angry Robitaille article (Daily News?), there was a blurb about how next season the salary cap would extend to between $40 and $45 million.

1) Can anyone confirm this?

2) Does anyone know WHY this expansion would occur?

3) What would this mean for the Kings?

Thanks!
I think you might have misunderstood the article. Basically what is being said is that the league revenues are looking like they will be higher than expected......for now. If things keep going the way they are currently then next season's salary cap will probably be in the $40-$45 million range. The salary cap for this season will not change however.

How will this affect the Kings? I do not think it will have a huge affect on the team since they do not seem to be a team willing to spend to the cap limits. Even if the cap goes up to $45 million next year I can't see the Kings adding a ton of salary.

I hope that answers your questions.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
How will this affect the Kings? I do not think it will have a huge affect on the team since they do not seem to be a team willing to spend to the cap limits. Even if the cap goes up to $45 million next year I can't see the Kings adding a ton of salary.
I don't think you're looking at it the right way. They're not spending to the cap now because they want keep some to spend at the trade deadline. The Kings are at $35M or so right now, which is $4M under the cap. Whereever the cap raises to, I think the Kings will spend until they're $4M under it. So, if the cap raises to $45M, they'll be willing to spend up to $41M, a full $6M more than right now.

A cap raise could either help or hurt the Kings. It could help by giving DT more money to spend. On the other hand, it just as likely could hurt because the Kings would lose much of the strength of their favorable position with regards to the cap. The teams like Detroit and New Jersey who are right at the cap will have up to $6M more to spend on free agents who might've otherwise signed with the Kings or simply signed for less. Personally, I hope the cap raises the minimum. I think the Kings would be better off and the league would be. If it raises $6M, that would just be taking a big step back to the old market.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I don't think you're looking at it the right way. They're not spending to the cap now because they want keep some to spend at the trade deadline. The Kings are at $35M or so right now, which is $4M under the cap. Whereever the cap raises to, I think the Kings will spend until they're $4M under it. So, if the cap raises to $45M, they'll be willing to spend up to $41M, a full $6M more than right now.

A cap raise could either help or hurt the Kings. It could help by giving DT more money to spend. On the other hand, it just as likely could hurt because the Kings would lose much of the strength of their favorable position with regards to the cap. The teams like Detroit and New Jersey who are right at the cap will have up to $6M more to spend on free agents who might've otherwise signed with the Kings or simply signed for less. Personally, I hope the cap raises the minimum. I think the Kings would be better off and the league would be. If it raises $6M, that would just be taking a big step back to the old market.
That might indeed be the case. It might also be that the Kings want to have sufficient money to re-sign some of their young players. If I am not mistaken Cammalleri, Brown and Gleason will be due new contracts next season. I really think that teams that spend within $500k of the cap really are doing their organization a disservice. It makes it that much more difficult to keep your core players and can destroy a team. Look at NJ, Tampa Bay, Colorado......the Kings do not want to be the next team in this situation.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:25 PM
took420s

For what its worth I heard hacksaw the cap would be 45 million next season.

NOt the most reliable guy on earth though.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
For what its worth I heard hacksaw the cap would be 45 million next season.

NOt the most reliable guy on earth though.
At this point it is all speculation. The league is taking the revenues from the first quarter of the season and projecting the whole seasons revenue. You have to take into account that the game was gone for a year and alot of people rushed to go to the games. Now that the initial "Hockey is Back" craze has worn off it is difficult to really gauge how much the league will actually make this year. The real salary cap for the next season will not be known until sometime in July.

Old
12-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Osprey

Quote:
That might indeed be the case. It might also be that the Kings want to have sufficient money to re-sign some of their young players. If I am not mistaken Cammalleri, Brown and Gleason will be due new contracts next season.
What balances things out for the Kings, though, is that JR's contract will be gone. The money saved from that one contract, alone, would pay for the raises of everyone on the team who needs a contract and a raise. So, the Kings should have at least the same amount of money to spend next season as this season even before factoring in a cap raise.

Old
12-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
What balances things out for the Kings, though, is that JR's contract will be gone. The money saved from that one contract, alone, would pay for the raises of everyone on the team who needs a contract and a raise. So, the Kings should have at least the same amount of money to spend next season as this season even before factoring in a cap raise.
Roenicks money might be used for Kopitar though. So it depends. We are not entirely sure the details of Anze's contract.

Old
12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Roenicks money might be used for Kopitar though. So it depends. We are not entirely sure the details of Anze's contract.
It's an entry-level contract, so it can't be for very much (likely $1M). There's still plenty of money after that for the other guys. Guys like Cammalleri and Brown won't demand very high raises, anyways. Cammalleri would probably warrant only $2-300K more, and Brown probably won't get much of a raise at all. Belanger would probably get the largest raise out of everyone, perhaps $500K or more. All told, the raises will amount to only $1-1.5M, I think, and some of that may be made up from other players that may re-sign for less, particularly Norstrom (who'll surely get less than his current $2.66M). Oh, I just remembered: the real wildcard in all of this may turn out to be Corvo. He could fetch a cool $1M raise next Summer easily. I just hope that it's some other team that pays it to him, not the Kings. He's a bargain at $668K, but hasta la vista if he wants $1.5-2M.

Old
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
It's an entry-level contract, so it can't be for very much (likely $1M). There's still plenty of money after that for the other guys. Guys like Cammalleri and Brown won't demand very high raises, anyways. Cammalleri would probably warrant only $2-300K more, and Brown probably won't get much of a raise at all. Belanger would probably get the largest raise out of everyone, perhaps $500K or more. All told, the raises will amount to only $1-1.5M, I think, and some of that may be made up from other players that may re-sign for less, particularly Norstrom (who'll surely get less than his current $2.66M). Oh, I just remembered: the real wildcard in all of this may turn out to be Corvo. He could fetch a cool $1M raise next Summer easily. I just hope that it's some other team that pays it to him, not the Kings.
I know that Kopitar's contract is an entry level deal. But do we know what kind of bonuses he had attached to it? Because in the CBA it states that all bonuses (attained or not) will count against the cap. For example Crosby has a base salary of $850,000. But he also signed for the maximum bonus clauses that can add an additional $2.85 million to his salary this year. That would make his cap hit $3.7 million/year. Even if he doesn't get any of the bonuses. Kopitar may/may not have a similar contract.

Old
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Osprey

Very good point, Spongebob. On the other hand, I don't think that the bonuses will amount to very much (at least not anywhere near what Crosby got). I don't think that Kopitar is the kind of kid to aggressively push for or receive huge bonuses with his first contract. I also think that one of the reasons why the Kings wanted to sign him this past Summer instead of next Summer is that they figured that they could get him under contract for less. Smart move by DT, IMO.

Old
12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Very good point, Spongebob. On the other hand, I don't think that the bonuses will amount to very much (at least not anywhere near what Crosby got). I don't think that Kopitar is the kind of kid to aggressively push for or receive huge bonuses with his first contract. I also think that one of the reasons why the Kings wanted to sign him this past Summer instead of next Summer is that they figured that they could get him under contract for less. Smart move by DT, IMO.
I was hoping the same thing but then I was thinking that maybe one of the reasons the Kings kept their payroll low to start the season was just in case Kopitar decided to stay and he does have big incentive bonuses. But I guess we will know next year (maybe the year after).

Old
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Capn Brown

Does Joe Thornton become a free agent this summer? All of a sudden, more cap room + the expiration of JR's contract looks good!

Old
12-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Kearney

From a city where there's actually hockey coverage (sorry):

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3317538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Post
NHL revenues are expected to exceed $2 billion this season.

That means the salary-cap number will go up, from its current $39 million to between $40 million and $45 million.

Old
12-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
Does Joe Thornton become a free agent this summer? All of a sudden, more cap room + the expiration of JR's contract looks good!
Wow you really have been out of the loop haven't you? Thorton signed a 3 year contract with Boston earlier this year. You do know that he plays for the Sharks now right?

Old
12-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Wow you really have been out of the loop haven't you? Thorton signed a 3 year contract with Boston earlier this year. You do know that he plays for the Sharks now right?
LoL! Yes, I knew he was a Shark, but I thought the B's traded him to avoid having to re-sign him at the end of the season. Shows you what I know = not much. :-)

Closed Thread