HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Day with the Rangers" report

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2005, 05:53 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
"Day with the Rangers" report

Today the Rangers had a "Day with the Rangers" event at the MSG training center in Westchester. It was small crowd, maybe about 200 people, who were allowed to watch the Rangers 11am practice then skate with the Rangers afterwards. It was an invite only event, what critieria it was to be invited I am not really sure.

The Training Center is nice and new looking, but not a whole lot of frills (from what we were aloud to see). We were let in around 1115a. As we walked into the arena (small, very little space on the outside of the boards) we saw Lundqvist and Weekes working out. Mostly it was Marcel Hossa firing slappers at them, then it moved to the slappers + Benoit Allaire simulating rebounds and shooting from the side.

As the other Rangers came out of their locker room, they all seemed to have their own individual way of warming up for the practice. Where I was standing, I watched Michael Nylander do this amazing stick handling drill where he would skate between about 20 pucks scattered in the face off circle and dance the puck all over the place, all while not hitting the other pucks with his stick, skates, or the puck he was handling.

Once the team got together there were many full and half drills that lasted about 10 mins each. Tom Renney or one of the other coaches would then stop for about 2 mins and explain what they would do next and off the went.

As usual Jaromir Jagr was up to his old tricks again. During one of the drills as he was awaiting his turn to skate down the ice, he felt the need to harass Benoit Allaire. As Jagr stood behind him and to his left, he would tap Allaire on his right shoulder with his stick a few times until Allaire turned around. Of course he said "it wasnt me" in between of his borderline hysterical laughter. Allaire liked it as did the other Rangers standing around him. Seems insignificant, but its fun to watch what may be one of the top 10 players in the world getting a kick out of a 5yr olds prank.

Petr Prucha was taking lots of extra slap shot practice whenever he could. And when the Rangers where practicing the PP, Petr was planted just outside the crease getting fed passes turned one-timers.

After practice ended, Strudwick, Ortmeyer, Prucha, Hollweg, Betts, and Colton Orr all stayed a little bit extra to have a shootout with henrik in net. Not sure if it was teams or individuals, but Ortmeyer and Hollweg made some nice scoring moves while Petr came up a bit short.

The cliques are interesting to watch. All in all this team gets along great and I cant see anyone who is even a little bit on the outside. Even Colton Orr (Orsey) has his crew.

Dave Maloney mc'ed and gave us a few interviews with Jason Strudwick, Tom Renney, and Kevin Weekes.

When we left we were given a Rangers gift bag, with the similar stuff that season subscribers got (stickers, shirt, cap, wallet schedule) also the new NYR "Livestrong" style wristband (not sure this one has a cause other than the rangers) and a nice added bonus was an autographed puck. Mine was from Martin Straka.

If anyone else went please add to this; and I wonder if different pucks were given out?

Old
12-17-2005, 06:01 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I really like what Allaire has been doin gwith our goaltenders. I'm very glad we finally have a goaltending coach worth a damn and I think it is really paying off. Especially that rebound training. One of my few pet peeves with Lundqvist was his rebounding. I think that he has a lot more control over it now and I do attribute that to Allaire for the most part.

Old
12-17-2005, 08:05 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I wasn't invited

Old
12-17-2005, 08:53 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
Today the Rangers had a "Day with the Rangers" event at the MSG training center in Westchester. It was small crowd, maybe about 200 people, who were allowed to watch the Rangers 11am practice then skate with the Rangers afterwards. It was an invite only event, what critieria it was to be invited I am not really sure.

The Training Center is nice and new looking, but not a whole lot of frills (from what we were aloud to see). We were let in around 1115a. As we walked into the arena (small, very little space on the outside of the boards) we saw Lundqvist and Weekes working out. Mostly it was Marcel Hossa firing slappers at them, then it moved to the slappers + Benoit Allaire simulating rebounds and shooting from the side.

As the other Rangers came out of their locker room, they all seemed to have their own individual way of warming up for the practice. Where I was standing, I watched Michael Nylander do this amazing stick handling drill where he would skate between about 20 pucks scattered in the face off circle and dance the puck all over the place, all while not hitting the other pucks with his stick, skates, or the puck he was handling.

Once the team got together there were many full and half drills that lasted about 10 mins each. Tom Renney or one of the other coaches would then stop for about 2 mins and explain what they would do next and off the went.

As usual Jaromir Jagr was up to his old tricks again. During one of the drills as he was awaiting his turn to skate down the ice, he felt the need to harass Benoit Allaire. As Jagr stood behind him and to his left, he would tap Allaire on his right shoulder with his stick a few times until Allaire turned around. Of course he said "it wasnt me" in between of his borderline hysterical laughter. Allaire liked it as did the other Rangers standing around him. Seems insignificant, but its fun to watch what may be one of the top 10 players in the world getting a kick out of a 5yr olds prank.

Petr Prucha was taking lots of extra slap shot practice whenever he could. And when the Rangers where practicing the PP, Petr was planted just outside the crease getting fed passes turned one-timers.

After practice ended, Strudwick, Ortmeyer, Prucha, Hollweg, Betts, and Colton Orr all stayed a little bit extra to have a shootout with henrik in net. Not sure if it was teams or individuals, but Ortmeyer and Hollweg made some nice scoring moves while Petr came up a bit short.

The cliques are interesting to watch. All in all this team gets along great and I cant see anyone who is even a little bit on the outside. Even Colton Orr (Orsey) has his crew.

Dave Maloney mc'ed and gave us a few interviews with Jason Strudwick, Tom Renney, and Kevin Weekes.

When we left we were given a Rangers gift bag, with the similar stuff that season subscribers got (stickers, shirt, cap, wallet schedule) also the new NYR "Livestrong" style wristband (not sure this one has a cause other than the rangers) and a nice added bonus was an autographed puck. Mine was from Martin Straka.

If anyone else went please add to this; and I wonder if different pucks were given out?
I bet if they put up about 20 nets all around the ice he could miss all of those too

Old
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Also, that's great to hear about Jagr and Orr and everyone having fun and fitting in. This team just makes me happy..

Closed Thread