HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

where the hell is semenov?!?!

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 09:19 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
where the hell is semenov?!?!

ok, tonights win was nice and all, but i cant count the times that cross got beat to the puck or beat wide.... i know macT is in love with the veterans, but if i remember correctly semenov is just as physically imposing but isnt NEAR as slow as cross..... i just dont understand why hes not in there yet.... its just stupid

Old
10-16-2003, 09:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
ok, tonights win was nice and all, but i cant count the times that cross got beat to the puck or beat wide.... i know macT is in love with the veterans, but if i remember correctly semenov is just as physically imposing but isnt NEAR as slow as cross..... i just dont understand why hes not in there yet.... its just stupid
He's not in there because MacT likes Ferguson for some reason, and MAB is playing way too well to get taken out. He should be in there for Fergy, but I'm not the coach...............................yet.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
Someone else brought it up, I'll regurgitate it: Maybe that extra weight Semenov brought into camp wasn't all muscle? Perhaps he came into camp in less than great shape? Pure speculation of course, just throwing it out there.

Believe me, I'd like to see him in the lineup as much as anyone...but there HAS to be a reason why a guy who was getting top 4 ice time last year has been benched for the first 4 games of the season.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Semenov didn't have a great camp. In my opinion, that's the biggest reason why he hasn't gotten into the line up yet. He needs to play much more physical for his size than he has been. The guy should be OUR Zdeno Chara but he's been playing far too soft. He knows it, and he's going to be a monster when he finally does get in.

Yes MacT likes the vets, and Ferguson hasn't been the worst guy out there, but I think you'll see Semi pretty soon. Stoll too.

GuyF

Old
10-17-2003, 05:14 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Guy, I am assuming no one is going to out and out say it (from within the organization), but is Semenov's yearly disappearing act becoming a concern?

I mean we all thought that the Oilers kept 8 defencemen for a short time because they were wondering about MAB and Luoma... could they have honestly considered sending Semenov down, but instead left him up?

I was thinking about this for a bit last night, and it started to bug me. I can understand sending him down to play, but at the same time, the pressbox isn't going to hurt him if he is learning something up there.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Oiltalk

I think it's all about mental games. The coaching staff has been going on and on about how if Semenov brings a punishing side to his game that he will be light years better than he is now, so why not sit him a few games, so that when he does play he brings that other element in order to become a regular?
I think he will be in within the next 3 games, and we'll see what transpires.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Guy, I am assuming no one is going to out and out say it (from within the organization), but is Semenov's yearly disappearing act becoming a concern?
I would say "No" to that. This is only his second year, and the first that he's been with the team out of camp. I don't hink it's a "yearly" problem at all. I ust think MacT went with the vets early but chose Bergeron because they were so desperate for a puck mover.

Semi is still a big part of the team and will be important.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:26 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I would say "No" to that. This is only his second year, and the first that he's been with the team out of camp. I don't hink it's a "yearly" problem at all. I ust think MacT went with the vets early but chose Bergeron because they were so desperate for a puck mover.

Semi is still a big part of the team and will be important.
Well he did it every year he was in Sudbury, and both of the years he was in Hamilton. Just a funk where he doesn't hit, is out of position all the time, handles the puck like it's a live grenade...

Then again, maybe it's just me nit-picking... I dunno.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:54 AM
goldenchild

Ferguson took another bad penalty in the last 5 mins of the game that's 2 games in a row. He has earned a night in the PB get Semmy back in.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:01 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
how can people call for Fergy to come out??!!? Him and Bergeron have been our best D-pairing!!!!!!!!!!!! Cross is the weakest link. I think the coaching staff has proved their point, and I hope Guy is right and Semi is in soon (dido with Stoll) - I hope and pray that it's Pisani and Cross that are out for those two!

Old
10-17-2003, 07:42 AM
dawgbone

Pisani just had his best game of the season. He had 5 shots on goal, played well defensively, and was a little punk in front of the net.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:58 AM
trent

Cross should be OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
how can people call for Fergy to come out??!!? Him and Bergeron have been our best D-pairing!!!!!!!!!!!! Cross is the weakest link. I think the coaching staff has proved their point, and I hope Guy is right and Semi is in soon (dido with Stoll) - I hope and pray that it's Pisani and Cross that are out for those two!
Cross's foot speed is a joke. A player with even average speed can beat him to the outside. He should be the 7th dman (like he's been his entire career) and just see spot duty. There must have been 4 or 5 instances last night in which he got badly beat on the outside.

Actually, I've noticed Bergeron at times gets beat on the outside too. But there's other components of his game that make up for that. With Cross, I see nothing.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Easilee 27

Scott Ferguson has quietly done a very good job in the two home games of keeping it simple, and jumping into the play offensively when the opportunity is there. Why do people slag this guy? He rarely makes a mistake, probably less than any other D-man we have, but lets take him out because the other guy is bigger.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent
Cross's foot speed is a joke. A player with even average speed can beat him to the outside. He should be the 7th dman (like he's been his entire career) and just see spot duty. There must have been 4 or 5 instances last night in which he got badly beat on the outside.

Actually, I've noticed Bergeron at times gets beat on the outside too. But there's other components of his game that make up for that. With Cross, I see nothing.
Yeah it happens sometimes, but have you noticed that those who beat him on the outside are rarely able to take a shot on net? Bergy is wise...

Old
10-17-2003, 10:19 AM
jadeddog

i too think that fergy has played well, i also have noticed that MAB does get beat outside once in a while, but ill take those defensive blunders for his big hits and outlet passes..... with cross, other than being big, i just dont see what the macT love affair is with this guy, he has NOT impressed me at ALL this year (last year i didnt dislike his play *as* much).... now semenov might come in and play just as badly, but at least give him the opportunity

Closed Thread