HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

whos got leverage now eh?

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 09:33 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
whos got leverage now eh?

i hate to say this probably more than most of you (you have all seen my rants about comrie) but...... the oilers need an actual centerman quite badly.... the smyth experiment has gone HORRIBLY wrong, and york doesnt look to comfy at center either..... comrie now has the team over a barrel, and will get his way (whatever the hell that is though, nobody seems to know)

this is what the lines *should* have been:

smyth-comrie-hemsky
york-horcoff-dvorak
chimera-reasoner-isbister
torres-stoll-laraque

but now unless we get back some stud centerman, or lines are gonna be pretty much *****ed all season long *sigh* ...... at least the esks are cruising along nicely.... how long till next CFL season starts again?

Old
10-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
but now unless we get back some stud centerman, or lines are gonna be pretty much *****ed all season long *sigh* ...... at least the esks are cruising along nicely.... how long till next CFL season starts again?
It's only three games, relax.. as I said in an earlier post, we can still go 80-2-0-0 I'm not too worried at this point.. a little stressed out, yes; worried, no. I think best case scenario is that we sign Comrie or somehow acquire a center for one of our top two lines. If that doesn't work out, I think we at least need to try moving Horcoff up to one of the top two lines.. I'm not a big proponent of Horcoff on the top line but maybe we need to give these lines a try..
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Isbister - York - Dvorak
I'm not one of the fans that was all over Horcoff's bandwagon after the World Championships last year but I personally do like what I've seen of him so far.. I definitely think some sort of shake up is neccessary for the Buffalo game!

Old
10-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Mizral

Heh, you think you're old arguements have newfound merit..

.. Anyways!

I truely feel Mike York is going to have a big year, first 3 games or not. This guy is just a gutsy performer. I feel he needs to go back to centre, long term, and get readjusted to the position as soon as possible. Slap Smyth & Dvorak on his wings or something, and let fly with your best players on your top line (as it should be). Enough with these silly Isbister experiments. They didn't work on Long Island, why waste time trying them here, again? Use Isbister as what he is - a third line left winger. Promote the best goalscorers you've got and make sure they are playing with good playmakers! In other words, don't put Hemsky with Horcoff & Isbister or whatever, make sure he's out there with maybe Chimera & York or something. In fact, Chimera & Hemsky did connect for a nice goal in the season opener, maybe try that?

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry too much, just yet. Not exactly sprinting out of the gate, but now is not the time to look for skies to fall. Now is the time to watch the team get re-adjusted to the rigors of the season, and for MacTavish to pull his head from his rear and give his team better opportunities to win these games.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
1) I don't see how Comrie has any more leverage now than he did before the season started.

2) The Oilers don't have what it takes to get a stud centreman.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:04 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
i hate to say this probably more than most of you (you have all seen my rants about comrie) but...... the oilers need an actual centerman quite badly.... the smyth experiment has gone HORRIBLY wrong, and york doesnt look to comfy at center either..... comrie now has the team over a barrel, and will get his way (whatever the hell that is though, nobody seems to know)

this is what the lines *should* have been:

smyth-comrie-hemsky
york-horcoff-dvorak
chimera-reasoner-isbister
torres-stoll-laraque

i dont know if you remember or not, but last year comrie and hemsky had no real chemistry between them. hemsky would circle around and make a "seeing-eye" tape to tape pass, and comrie would then play keepaway with the puck untill a bigger player bumped him off the puck.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:20 AM
oildrop

Comrie doesn't have any leverage over Lowe. The Oilers have struggled with and without Comrie in the lineup. It's not as if Comrie would come in and have this team go on a 10 game winning streak. Comrie has missed all of the pre-season and would take about 10-15 games just to get back to game shape, IMO. I think it would be better if Lowe traded the guy and we get a big Centreman in return who can step in and help out immediately. A package deal might be needed to do this but if that's what it takes then so be it.

Old
10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I beg to differ...

I think "jadeddog" makes a valid arguement. It not so much that the team is losing but that the team can't score.

If we lost 3-2 to Vancouver and even 2-1 to Calgary i would be saying lets get the Comrie issue resolved but i wouldn't feel he has anymore pull than he did prior to the first three games.

The fact that we are now 1 and 2 with 2 shutout losses and back to back no less I think MC and his agent have to be nagging Lowe and letting him know how bad he is missing SCORING. Not that i think the issue willl be resolved and that MC will be an Oiler but that they are probably suggesting offensive names that Lowe should look into acquiring for MC because the team lacks scoring...in other word they are stating the obvious in order to speed up a result and thus i would have to agree that Comrie and company have the upper hand in any sort of negotiations as of today.

After we beat Buffalo 7-1 i will think otherwise...but i know more of you will agree with us if Buffalo drops us 1-0. I like close games but not 1-0 games more like 5-4 games.

We need scoring; KLO knows it, MacT knows this, and so does MC! Trust me guys Comrie and his agent are letting Lowe know just how bad Mike's scoring and creativity is being missed and i don't blame them.

For everybodys sake i hope MC is dealt sooner rather than later and i hope some much needed offense or an early round pick along with a quality d-man are coming back in return.

Or else best case scenario could kick in...the Oilers start scoring like they did in the golden years and Comrie is forced to sit out the whole year!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 04:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

Too early to panic

Haven't heard the fans on the radio shows or the media pushing the panic button yet.

So I don't think leverage has changed yet.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Brynster

Nothing has changed "leverage-wise"... the issue continues to simmer beneath of surface of this thing. Both sides firmly entrenched.

But with the shaky offensive (take that anyway you want) play lately, it may hasten a Comrie deal quicker. With everything I've heard the past four weeks from many different hockey people, I just can't see him back in Oiler colours. Nothing has changed my opinion on this.

When this is all done, I fully expect that Mike will let loose on the team and local media... I can smell it coming.

Bryn

Old
10-15-2003, 05:59 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Nothing has changed "leverage-wise"... the issue continues to simmer beneath of surface of this thing. Both sides firmly entrenched.

But with the shaky offensive (take that anyway you want) play lately, it may hasten a Comrie deal quicker. With everything I've heard the past four weeks from many different hockey people, I just can't see him back in Oiler colours. Nothing has changed my opinion on this.

When this is all done, I fully expect that Mike will let loose on the team and local media... I can smell it coming.

Bryn
I hear you have the nose for for it.

Thanx for your insight and welcome Bryn.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Brynster

Hey??

Did I insult you on our show awhile ago?

Old
10-15-2003, 06:13 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Hey??

Did I insult you on our show awhile ago?

Not yet. I'm looking forward to that tho.
I was commenting on your reasonably accurate sense of smell... nose for news and all that.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:

Bryn
And have Daddy lose customers? no, he'll bight his tongue, or daddy will be giving him a licken. I also don't think he'll be back in Oiler silks - or atleast not long term. I do think that if we lose two or three 1-0 or 2-1 games in the next 5 or 6 Lowe will really be ringing them phones. My personal preferense is still to use that 4.5 and sign some UFAs out there and then offer up Comrie and a prospect and their first to who ever has the first over all pick for Ovechkin. Seems like that'd be an over-payment, but thats what it'd take.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Comrie has no leverage over Lowe. Its just how much can Lowe take before he does something about Comrie. Its as simple as this: Comrie isn't in game shape, and if he doesn't get injured in his first 20 games, it will take him that long to get to peak performance. So if the Oilers don't start doing something without him, then going and getting him isn't going to fix anything right away anyways. If Lowe wants to let him rot, then he will. I personally think that ya can't give into the guy, but we need a first line center BADLY! Trade him.... maybe the new guy will have had a training camp, and will be a team player.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:55 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Comrie has no leverage over Lowe. Its just how much can Lowe take before he does something about Comrie. Its as simple as this: Comrie isn't in game shape, and if he doesn't get injured in his first 20 games, it will take him that long to get to peak performance. So if the Oilers don't start doing something without him, then going and getting him isn't going to fix anything right away anyways. If Lowe wants to let him rot, then he will. I personally think that ya can't give into the guy, but we need a first line center BADLY! Trade him.... maybe the new guy will have had a training camp, and will be a team player.
So you think that the fans should suffer a brutal offence so Kevin Lowe can satisfy his ego?

Old
10-16-2003, 07:58 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
So you think that the fans should suffer a brutal offence so Kevin Lowe can satisfy his ego?
No but Lowe needs to send a message to Brewer, Hemsky, Rita, etc...

Lowe and the Oilers are in charge, not the players. Once you cave to one person, you are screwed.

Closed Thread