HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do you think Wings will buy out Cujo?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2003, 07:24 AM
  #1
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,003
vCash: 50
Do you think Wings will buy out Cujo?

I suspect if they haven't found a taker for a trade with 2-3M salary eaten up by christmas, the Wings will decide to just cut their losses and buy him out.

The goalie market looks totally dead when it comes to goalkeepers. There is the odd backup changing team but apart from that there is no interest. And the only ones that could afford him seems happy with what they have/with letting Wings bleed financially.

And what do you think will happen to Cujo if he is bought out? Avs knocking on the door?

Freudian is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 07:58 AM
  #2
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I suspect if they haven't found a taker for a trade with 2-3M salary eaten up by christmas, the Wings will decide to just cut their losses and buy him out.

The goalie market looks totally dead when it comes to goalkeepers. There is the odd backup changing team but apart from that there is no interest. And the only ones that could afford him seems happy with what they have/with letting Wings bleed financially.

And what do you think will happen to Cujo if he is bought out? Avs knocking on the door?
Why not play a little bit if all they would do is buy him out, get him into game shape at least in case a team does need a goaie around the trade deadline, a lot can happen between now and then.

And why would the Wings give the Avs a free goalie later when they had the chance to pick him up at the waiver draft?

guinness is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:05 AM
  #3
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin
 
amazingcrwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Western MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
I don't think Cujo will be bought out. He'll probably get moved at the trade deadline. If they buy him out they have to pay for this year and next year, while next year Hasek might decide to hang them up (again) or go somewhere else. By keeping him on they also have a great insurance policy in case Hasek gets injured.

amazingcrwns is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:08 AM
  #4
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
As long as it doesn't become a distraction, he wont be bought out. They'll wait to make a trade.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 09:04 AM
  #5
flyercide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
I don't think he will be bought out but I do think he will be moved to a team like the NYR or Flyers. Colorado's possibility but unlikely being they are in same Conference and Arch rivals. Detroit would either pickup some of Cujo's salary or take salary back in the form of another over-priced player.

flyercide is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 09:11 AM
  #6
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,193
vCash: 500
The issue is slowly becoming a positive.

If they can't trade him. Hasek Retires after this season, Cujo moves back into the #1 until the tenure of his contract is up. Then Legace moves into the #1 Spot.

Ofcorse thats all moot if a big team loses a goalie to injury or poor play. But as it stands right now, the wings are in the Drivers seat if Cujo and the wings dont mind waiting and paying\getting paid. They made it through camp, and made it through the waiver draft with Little to no Issues.

I would FULLY expect Cujo to be reassigned to the AHL for a Rehab stint, to show teams in the league he can play. When he comes back, I would assume he would play a couple games. And they will basically ride three goalies till the situation presents itself.

If they can get Lang or a Capable #1 Center seperate from a cujo deal, and dont mind sitting on Cujo, It wouldnt shock me now to see him sit and play an odd game here. And The Wings go into the play-offs with Cujo, Hasek and Legace.

X8oD is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 09:12 AM
  #7
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
As long as it doesn't become a distraction, he wont be bought out. They'll wait to make a trade.
There are a lot of problems to having him around. He needs to get matches regularly. And Hasek will need loads of matches to stay in shape. And that is without taking Legace into account. That in itself is a distraction imho, ie having to play with a goalie you want to offload.

The alternative is not to play Cujo at all or even worse send him to AHL. That will not increase the chances of a team picking him up.

Cujo seems to have taken the whole situation well, but he has needs of his own. He will probably demand game time. And with him having a no trade clause I think Detroit will be slightly careful about mistreating him.

As for him being the #1 goalie next season - I find it hard to believe. When you send a strong signal that you don't have faith in him as a #1 goalie that is it. He is unofficially the scapegoat for last years playoff, despite not deserving it.

Freudian is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 09:34 AM
  #8
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
There are a lot of problems to having him around. He needs to get matches regularly. And Hasek will need loads of matches to stay in shape. And that is without taking Legace into account. That in itself is a distraction imho, ie having to play with a goalie you want to offload.

The alternative is not to play Cujo at all or even worse send him to AHL. That will not increase the chances of a team picking him up.

Cujo seems to have taken the whole situation well, but he has needs of his own. He will probably demand game time. And with him having a no trade clause I think Detroit will be slightly careful about mistreating him.

As for him being the #1 goalie next season - I find it hard to believe. When you send a strong signal that you don't have faith in him as a #1 goalie that is it. He is unofficially the scapegoat for last years playoff, despite not deserving it.
You have to understand that most Wings fans are sheep, if they don't win it all, they'll railroad the goalie; Chevy, Ranford, Ozzie, even Vernon to an extent. The didn't all deserve the criticism, but that's how this town is. When the Wings felt apart against the Kings, Ozzie became the scapegoat, yes he let in soft goals time to time, but the rest of team didn't step up when they had to. Cujo can't score goals for the Wings, the team couldn't get the puck past Giguire, you don't score, you don't win. If Hasek doesn't win it all this year, he'll probably get the heat too.

I don't see how the Wings could keep Cujo after the trade deadline as they showed no faith in him over the summer.

guinness is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 10:18 AM
  #9
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Great post Frued. I haven't really given much thought to the Wings buying him out but I can't see any situation why they would. If the Wings did buy him out then they would recieve nothing at all for him. I agree that he needs starts to be of any value but it isn't like he won't be worth something for the entirety of his contract with the Wings.

I mean, the Wings certainly have to bite the bullet and admit that they blew it by giving him so much money but buying him out would take away from them being able to put any sort of spin on the situation and you can bet that the Avs would just snatch him up the minute he was free. I was listening to Roy M (Sens Pres) on Jim Rome and he said "They (the wings) can't let the Avs have him".
He then said something about unless there was a three way deal or something like that. I think that if the Avs want him that there is little that the Wings can do to stop them with the exception of keeping him on the team. If they deal him to any other team the Avs can put together a package to get him from them. (if they are so inclined)

I agree that Wings fans are sheep but, aren't we all to a certain extent? I mean, I will always buy whatever the GM of my two teams tell me as law (even though I might know better) and have seen a bunch of us here do the same with their GM's even when others don't agree. (KLowe comes to mind) The fact is that if we don't believe in what we are told by our team then we are no better than Isles fans and who wants to be that?

(totally kidding)

IGM is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:35 AM
  #10
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
As for him being the #1 goalie next season - I find it hard to believe. When you send a strong signal that you don't have faith in him as a #1 goalie that is it. He is unofficially the scapegoat for last years playoff, despite not deserving it.
That is what I am thinking. It sucks, but if I were CuJo and got to next season still in a Wings jersey I'd be like "Ohhhhh, now I am good enough to start for your team, screw you guys". That will be an unfortunate situation if we get to that.

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 12:06 PM
  #11
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
The thing to remember is the contract Cujo has right now is 2 years. He gets paid during the lockout (if there is one) Ifhis contract were one year only, I suspect the other GM's would trade for him once he's in game shape.

The extra year, at $8 million, scares the hell out of GMs who don't know what the future financial landscape of the league is going to be. Frankly I don't see an easy way out of this one for Holland, but he created his own swamp here.

I don't think the Wings will buy him out though, because he then can sign with anyone. Like the Avs or Blues. If they hold him for trade they can at least limit the rivals he will play for. But they won't get anywhere near market value for him.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 12:42 PM
  #12
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
And they will have to pay at least 3.5 mill per over the next two years to move him. Cujo should by his agent anything he wants for getting him that whale of a deal. No matter what happens, Cujo gets another $16+mill. Did his agent use the Jedi Mind Trick or what....

IGM is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 01:03 PM
  #13
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
And they will have to pay at least 3.5 mill per over the next two years to move him. Cujo should by his agent anything he wants for getting him that whale of a deal. No matter what happens, Cujo gets another $16+mill. Did his agent use the Jedi Mind Trick or what....
It's really hard to say. but I'm still surprised that Holland and co resigned Hasek knowing that most other teams weren't thrilled in paying $8 mill/yr for a goalie. They sure put themselves over a barrel though, and Cujo still gets his money, not to mention his no-trade clause.

guinness is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 02:27 PM
  #14
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
There are a lot of problems to having him around. He needs to get matches regularly. And Hasek will need loads of matches to stay in shape. And that is without taking Legace into account. That in itself is a distraction imho, ie having to play with a goalie you want to offload.

The alternative is not to play Cujo at all or even worse send him to AHL. That will not increase the chances of a team picking him up.

Cujo seems to have taken the whole situation well, but he has needs of his own. He will probably demand game time. And with him having a no trade clause I think Detroit will be slightly careful about mistreating him.

As for him being the #1 goalie next season - I find it hard to believe. When you send a strong signal that you don't have faith in him as a #1 goalie that is it. He is unofficially the scapegoat for last years playoff, despite not deserving it.

I'm not saying the Wings will keep him for the rest of the year. It's just gonna take a little more time than Holland wanted (which it has already) Once Cujo plays in a few games, Holland will have to be on the phone working out a deal. IMO he's gonna have to pay 1/2 of Cujo's contract and maybe a 1/4 of it in 2004-2005 (if there is a season)

As for the Avs getting Cujo, so be it. Holland need to get this mess behind him and the team. Most important is to get something (anything) for him, even if it means sending him to Colorado.
That the reason they are in this mess, they didn't want Hasek going to the Avs.

There is also that clause in Cujo contract. If the Wings win the Cup, he gets another year added to his contract. We all know his agent will fight like hell to get that added, even if he doesn't play in the playoffs. Thats a risk the organization can not take.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 02:30 PM
  #15
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
You have to understand that most Wings fans are sheep, if they don't win it all, they'll railroad the goalie; Chevy, Ranford, Ozzie, even Vernon to an extent. The didn't all deserve the criticism, but that's how this town is. When the Wings felt apart against the Kings, Ozzie became the scapegoat, yes he let in soft goals time to time, but the rest of team didn't step up when they had to. Cujo can't score goals for the Wings, the team couldn't get the puck past Giguire, you don't score, you don't win. If Hasek doesn't win it all this year, he'll probably get the heat too.

I don't see how the Wings could keep Cujo after the trade deadline as they showed no faith in him over the summer.


The only worse postion in Detroit Sports than the Wings goalie is QB of the Lions.

And Guinness, i loved the fact Ozzie called out his teammates vs the Kings. Sure it might have been on of the reason he was dealt. But it was something that needed to be done.

p.s. You forgot to add Hanlon and Stefan to that list.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 02:43 PM
  #16
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
One thing to remember though is that Cujo has the right to just tell the Wings that he is going to stay with them and refuse any trade. If you look at it from a bus p o v that would be the smartest thing for him. Take the emotions out of it and ask yourself what you would do if you where him.

On one hand, you have a non negotiable $16+mill coming to you for the next two years AND you are with a team that will give you a real shot at having an automatic extra $8 added to it.

If the Wings are lucky enough to find anyone out there that is willing to take a chance that Cujo still IS a top three goalie (face it, if the Wings eat 1/2 of his contract for each of the next two years that still sees him being paid over $4mill per by his new team and that puts him in the tops for goalies) and make a deal for him it will only happen if Cujo is going to recieve the exact same money that he was from Det. Making him a very very risky gamble for teams like the Avs etc.

IF the Avs were to deal for him and won the cup this year then they would also be on the hook for the "extra" year at his stupidly overpriced contract. I am one of those people who think that if there isn't a lockout after this season that the Avs will see Sakic retire (or leave) and that Kariya/Selanne and Forsberg will more than likely go elsewhere as well. Even if I am wrong here you can bet that the Avs will see some serious personell changes after this season and IF they win the cup they will be stuck with that "extra" year for Cujo.

Bad Idea.

The Wings made a truly awfull deal with Cujo and are stuck with him or with a major portion of his contract whether they like it or not. He isn't the goalie that they thought he was. He is still capable of being one of the better starting goalies in the league but he sure didn't help his rep last year.

I do think though that the Wings did what it takes to be a winner in the league when they made that deal. I may not think it was a good one but, at least they are willing to make risks to try and make sure that they have the best possible players available to make a run for the cup while keeping their soul in tact. I don't like the Wings from a fan point of veiw and believe that they will have to eat most of the Cujo mess or be stuck with him but I totally respect what they were trying to do and any team that Capt America thinks is worthy of playing with the kind of obvious pain that he is playing in this year can't be all bad.

IGM is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 03:03 PM
  #17
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
One thing to remember though is that Cujo has the right to just tell the Wings that he is going to stay with them and refuse any trade. If you look at it from a bus p o v that would be the smartest thing for him. Take the emotions out of it and ask yourself what you would do if you where him.

On one hand, you have a non negotiable $16+mill coming to you for the next two years AND you are with a team that will give you a real shot at having an automatic extra $8 added to it.

If the Wings are lucky enough to find anyone out there that is willing to take a chance that Cujo still IS a top three goalie (face it, if the Wings eat 1/2 of his contract for each of the next two years that still sees him being paid over $4mill per by his new team and that puts him in the tops for goalies) and make a deal for him it will only happen if Cujo is going to recieve the exact same money that he was from Det. Making him a very very risky gamble for teams like the Avs etc.

IF the Avs were to deal for him and won the cup this year then they would also be on the hook for the "extra" year at his stupidly overpriced contract. I am one of those people who think that if there isn't a lockout after this season that the Avs will see Sakic retire (or leave) and that Kariya/Selanne and Forsberg will more than likely go elsewhere as well. Even if I am wrong here you can bet that the Avs will see some serious personell changes after this season and IF they win the cup they will be stuck with that "extra" year for Cujo.

Bad Idea.

The Wings made a truly awfull deal with Cujo and are stuck with him or with a major portion of his contract whether they like it or not. He isn't the goalie that they thought he was. He is still capable of being one of the better starting goalies in the league but he sure didn't help his rep last year.

I do think though that the Wings did what it takes to be a winner in the league when they made that deal. I may not think it was a good one but, at least they are willing to make risks to try and make sure that they have the best possible players available to make a run for the cup while keeping their soul in tact. I don't like the Wings from a fan point of veiw and believe that they will have to eat most of the Cujo mess or be stuck with him but I totally respect what they were trying to do and any team that Capt America thinks is worthy of playing with the kind of obvious pain that he is playing in this year can't be all bad.
Why would Sakic retire or leave, he's younger than Yzerman and he seems like one of those old school guys that will retire with his first and only team, I would have a hard time seeing him in another uniform, but a line with Sakic-Naslund-Betuzzi (if he's still there) would be sick. Forsberg I could see leaving though and maybe Selanne if he wins the Cup.

By and large, I'm pretty positive the Wings are stuck with Cujo, he's what 38, has the stigma of never winning the big one, overpaid, no-trade clause, what other teams can afford and take the next leap to get into the SCF? Make a short list of Ottawa, Colorado, St. Louis, Philly, Dallas, etc. they either don't need a goalie or are put off by the price. The Wings are SOL however they cut it, eat his salary to trade, buy him out, let him warm the bench/pressbox.

guinness is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 08:07 AM
  #18
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
By and large, I'm pretty positive the Wings are stuck with Cujo, he's what 38, has the stigma of never winning the big one, overpaid, no-trade clause, what other teams can afford and take the next leap to get into the SCF? Make a short list of Ottawa, Colorado, St. Louis, Philly, Dallas, etc. they either don't need a goalie or are put off by the price. The Wings are SOL however they cut it, eat his salary to trade, buy him out, let him warm the bench/pressbox.
Since when can Ottawa afford him? Sure they can make payroll, but I don't believe for a minute they want to actively go out and add more. And at this point I have seen nothing to convince me Joseph is such a huge upgrade over Lalime. Ditto for Dallas. If they had the money to burn, they would have signed Hatcher.

And while I have never been a fan of Cujo's at all; I still get a little irritated when I hear that he gets blamed for the Wings fall last season. They couldn't score. They didn't crash the net, weren't willing to pay the price. How that gets laid at Cujo's feet I will never know.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 10:55 AM
  #19
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Cujo been a top3 goalie one day already??

I dont think so. Top 10 and to an extend maybe top5 for a small time.

Anksun is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 10:55 AM
  #20
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
If I were Cujo, I would punch Hasek right in the mouth.

As for the Wings, I think they will not be able to find a trading partner. There are just t0o many extra guy out there (granted if the Aves added Cujo, then they would be hands on fav for the cup, doesn't always translate into a winner though).

The problem for the Wings is that Cujo is on the roster, which is limited. He is taking up a spot for someone that could play for the Wings if small injuries (not requiring being put on IR) occur.

I feel sorry for Cujo and I hope that I never wind up in a spot like that.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
  #21
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Do you mean a spot where you will get paid at least $16+ mill bucks for sitting on your overpaid butt for the next two years and if your team wins the cup you automatically get an extra $8 mill? I pray that I am in that situation just once in my lifetime.

IGM is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.