HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gretzky Goes on Leave

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2005, 12:04 AM
frohli44

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Gretzky Goes on Leave

What is your guys opinion on the situation. Gretzky is leaving the team due to personal reasons. I was wondering if you thought that it was the right thing to do to leave the team and spend time with his mother. I'm personally a little torn, I think to some extent it is o.k. but I also feel like you have a duty to your players to be there. I also must wonder does the fact that he is such high-profile person have anything to do with the fact that he is leaving. Anyways just wanted to hear your guys opinions...

Old
12-18-2005, 12:08 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
What is your guys opinion on the situation. Gretzky is leaving the team due to personal reasons. I was wondering if you thought that it was the right thing to do to leave the team and spend time with his mother. I'm personally a little torn, I think to some extent it is o.k. but I also feel like you have a duty to your players to be there. I also must wonder does the fact that he is such high-profile person have anything to do with the fact that he is leaving. Anyways just wanted to hear your guys opinions...
Family is family, give the guy a break. He made the NHL.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:12 AM
FLYLine24*

Some things are more important then your job. Its not like he is endangering other people or something by not coaching.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's a game. You only have one mother.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:28 AM
KasparKrunch

however, i do not know whether or not renney would leave the rangers in the same situation. i could see any other coach going on off days, etc...but to relinquish your coaching duties? c'mon wayne.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:33 AM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
I was wondering if you thought that it was the right thing to do to leave the team and spend time with his mother.
Absolutely.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:54 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Family is family, give the guy a break. He made the NHL.
And his mother made him. The hockey world, especially teams in the south, owe her a lot.

Old
12-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Rover*

Yeah 100% the right thing to do.

Old
12-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Edge

I dunno, be honest with you I'm a little torn and there's no real way to approach the question without sounding somewhat like a jerk.

I understand the impact of what Wayne is going through and how hard that is, I've had the misfortune of being there. On the other hand, if it was the Yotes top player would they be okay with them leaving without a return table? I honestly don't think they would.

Yes he only has one mother, and leaving doesn't make him wrong but as the coach he's also the leader of his team and the man who runs that show. That's the hard part about life is sometimes you have commitment to your family and loved ones but you also committed to something else and part of that commitment was that you'd actually be there....for better and worse even when some really bad things are happening.

So again I don't think there's a real answer because honestly a large part of me is torn as well. I want to emphasis I don't judge Wayne and I don't think he's wrong (and I do this because I already know that there is some hothead who isn't going to actually read what I'm saying and is going to come on here and try and turn this into a federal case because the internet allows everyone to get as emotional and brave as they can because they can hide behind a computer). I can see the torn part though.... it's really tough.

Old
12-18-2005, 05:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

His mom has been battling lung cancer for awhile.For Wayne to leave the Coyotes,she must not be doing well.Very difficult before Christmas

Old
12-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

The guy's mother is dying of Lung Cancer and in the hospital fighting for her life. And you want him to stay with his team and coach? Jeez....

Old
12-18-2005, 07:50 AM
shoothepuck

He should go spend time with his mother. He also has an obligation to his team.

Old
12-18-2005, 07:57 AM
frohli44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
The guy's mother is dying of Lung Cancer and in the hospital fighting for her life. And you want him to stay with his team and coach? Jeez....
I didn't say that...I was just wondering other peoples opinions about the situation,

Old
12-18-2005, 08:53 AM
rangerjoe

Are you retarded? It's a job, who cares? It's his mother, should this even be a question?

If anyone even thinks about bringing up this topic as an issue, you have alot of issues...

Old
12-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
His mom has been battling lung cancer for awhile.For Wayne to leave the Coyotes,she must not be doing well.Very difficult before Christmas
Exactly, it must be getting close to the end, unfortunately for the Gretzky family.

And as far as the question, he should definitely be with his mother during this time. I lost my grandmother four years ago and was able to visit her a day before she passed away. I was able to say my goodbye and to this day, I am so happy I was able to do this. I'm sure Wayne wouldn't be able to live with himself if he missed an opportunity like this if he was busy coaching his team.

Old
12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Fletch

Can't blame TGO...

for wanted to be with his mother for the holidays - and as someone mentioned, she had lung cancer last week and he was behind the bench - so she must've taken a turn for the worse for him to go home. He has a competent coach in Tocchet to take over - it would be nice to see them rally behind this. Some things are more important than hockey/work.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe
Are you retarded? It's a job, who cares? It's his mother, should this even be a question?

If anyone even thinks about bringing up this topic as an issue, you have alot of issues...

That's exactly the kind of response the topic doesn't need. Everyone has been very delicate with their responses and respectful. If you can't return that, don't reply.

Old
12-18-2005, 12:43 PM
in the hall

whatever, i'd like to see what you people do in that situation

i know that if it were me, family always comes first before anything

Old
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
robertch

I guess this means Lundmark is ******

Old
12-18-2005, 03:00 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I don't feel like saying my opinion... and don't let what I'm about to say serve as indication of my opinion... BUT: Wayne is a son AND a professional. In the real working world, you get about 5 business days to grieve a loss. People die.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:02 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Personally, I wouldn't even have to think about the decision. Even if he did decide to stay and coach, who knows what his state of mind would be and if he would be able to do his job effectively.

Old
12-18-2005, 03:29 PM
frohli44

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
whatever, i'd like to see what you people do in that situation

i know that if it were me, family always comes first before anything
agreed...i do agree with waynes decision...just wondering what all of you guys think...no need to attack me asking a question...

Closed Thread