HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Anyone else think

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Steve

vCash: 500
Does Anyone else think

that revenue sharing is a complete joke? I don't understand how this can posibly be fair. For example, The leaf fans have the higest ticket prices in the league (i believe) now, inorder for revenue sharing to be fair, wouldn't all ticket prices have to be the same in all arenas? Also, don't you think this is just another way to rip off successful team and support Betman's stupid expansion ideas. Bottom line, there are too many damn teams in the NHL and too many damn crapy players. I honestly think the NHL should just contract 5 teams and enter all their players in a waiver draft and let every team pick from there.

Honestly, this idea really bothers me. If they want to aviod a work stopage, the NHL should simply threaten contraction and i think a lot of players would rather have a salary cap than all those bubble players to be out of a job.

Sorry to ***** but it really bothers me. I'm sure if there is revenue sharing, I hardly doubt that ALL ticket prices will be the same and everything else be held on that same level.

Steve

Old
10-16-2003, 08:04 AM
TomWaits

Revenue sharing works in the NFL because they are sharing TV Revenue. If the NHL wants the Leafs and Carolina to pool the gate revenue then no it will not work. The biggest problem with revenue sharing is that there is not the big TV contract. Doesn't hockey rank behind Tracker Pulling in the TV rating rank? Honestly it will not work. What will work is a salary cap and have teams pay a fine if they go over it like they do in the NBA. I would like to see a "Larry Bird" rule in the NHL in which you could declare 2 or 3 franchise players and have them not included in your salary cap.

As for a salary cap killing the jobs of the bubble players I disagree. There will be a huge tier system in the NHL in which certain players will still make the huge money (similar to the NBA) but the lower ranking players will have to collect the table left overs. What will eventually happen is that there will be a log jam of players. Teams will have no room to move players because they will only be able to trade contract for contract and player movement will be very difficult.

I am all for a salary cap but I am for the elimination of certain teams. I think the league needs to contract a couple of teams in order to get stronger. The markets that hockey is not floating in get rid of hockey all together. Why bother.

TomWaits

Old
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits
As for a salary cap killing the jobs of the bubble players I disagree. There will be a huge tier system in the NHL in which certain players will still make the huge money (similar to the NBA) but the lower ranking players will have to collect the table left overs. What will eventually happen is that there will be a log jam of players. Teams will have no room to move players because they will only be able to trade contract for contract and player movement will be very difficult.

I think that for all the reasons you just said, a salary cap *would* kill the jobs of bubble players. The stars will still get their money, there's no question of that. With all teams operating on a budget it will force the lesser 3rd and 4th line players to accept substantially reduced salaries in order to remain in the league. I suspect alot of teams will turn to their youth in order to save money, after all their salaries are fixed for a certain number of years. Older players will find themselves having to undercut the rookie salaries in order to obtain jobs, if they're even wanted at all.

I partially agree with you on the player movement. There wont be alot of trades because as you said, teams will be handcuffed into having to trade contract for contract. However because teams will be scared away from making long terms commitments, we'll see alot more 1yr and 2yr contracts given out (except in the case of the franchise players) leading to a huge increase in the number of free agents each year, and huge amounts of player movement in the summer months.

Closed Thread