HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As the Ducks keep on tanking it...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2003, 10:05 PM
  #1
choppystride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
As the Ducks keep on tanking it...

...perhaps that Chistov for Comrie idea may not be so far fetched after all.

Why the Ducks may do the deal:

1) It's not just that they're losing, but also the way they're losing - that is, a lack of scoring. A guy like Comrie makes sense.

2) After letting go a player who has been the cornerstone of the franchise since inception and replacing him with 2 expensive FAs, plus the fat contract given to Giggy, Murray needs to justify his decisions with some immediate results, especially with pressure & expectation that came with last year's playoff success.

3) There's a lot of size among their forwards. Therefore, the smallish stature of Comrie shouldn't be that much of an issue for them.

4) In addition to Chistov, they're also breaking in 2 young players in Smirnov and Lupul (though I don't think these 2 are as good as Chistov). So perhaps the Ducks may feel they can let one of them go for some immediate help. And it's not like Comrie is that much older anyway.

5) Rucchin is still a solid 2nd line C, but he's not getting younger. Perhaps the Ducks may want to start thinking about grooming a young 2nd line C and let Rucchin concentrate on defensive duties.

Anyway, just my stupid thoughts.

choppystride is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 10:08 PM
  #2
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Those reason make sense to me.....but I just don't see them parting with Chistov.

kruezer is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 03:03 AM
  #3
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,045
vCash: 500
I would take lupul over christov in a second. I think lupul is going to be a dynamite player.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:15 AM
  #4
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I would take lupul over christov in a second. I think lupul is going to be a dynamite player.
Murray said he wouldn't trade Lupul...I agree with you tho that I'd take him over Chistov

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:39 AM
  #5
choppystride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
I've only seen Lupul a few times and I don't think he's anything special. I've seen several other rookie kids like Burns in Minny and Brown & Gleason in LA and frankly they've shown me a lot more than Lupul. But in all fairness to Lupul it's probably way too early to come to any hard and firm conclusion about his worth. However, if we're trading Comrie I want more of a sure thing and at this stage Chistov is much more of a sure thing. He had a pretty decent rookie year and has shown that he can perform in the playoffs. I rate him in the same class as Hemsky. Can't say the same for Lupul (yet?).

I hope that if Lowe does make a deal with ANA, he will be after Chistov and won't succumb to his fetish for local kids or big bodies.

choppystride is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:43 AM
  #6
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride
...perhaps that Chistov for Comrie idea may not be so far fetched after all.

Why the Ducks may do the deal:

1) It's not just that they're losing, but also the way they're losing - that is, a lack of scoring. A guy like Comrie makes sense.
Why would we trade one small centre for an even smaller centre?

If the Ducks need scoring why isn't Chistov providing it? Just what we need, another small centre who can't score.

Your premise is that Comrie can score. In case you haven't noticed that's what we need. Maybe we should keep him!

 
Old
10-18-2003, 07:35 AM
  #7
Chayos
Registered User
 
Chayos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride
...perhaps that Chistov for Comrie idea may not be so far fetched after all.

Why the Ducks may do the deal:

1) It's not just that they're losing, but also the way they're losing - that is, a lack of scoring. A guy like Comrie makes sense.

2) After letting go a player who has been the cornerstone of the franchise since inception and replacing him with 2 expensive FAs, plus the fat contract given to Giggy, Murray needs to justify his decisions with some immediate results, especially with pressure & expectation that came with last year's playoff success.

3) There's a lot of size among their forwards. Therefore, the smallish stature of Comrie shouldn't be that much of an issue for them.

4) In addition to Chistov, they're also breaking in 2 young players in Smirnov and Lupul (though I don't think these 2 are as good as Chistov). So perhaps the Ducks may feel they can let one of them go for some immediate help. And it's not like Comrie is that much older anyway.

5) Rucchin is still a solid 2nd line C, but he's not getting younger. Perhaps the Ducks may want to start thinking about grooming a young 2nd line C and let Rucchin concentrate on defensive duties.

Anyway, just my stupid thoughts.
The problem with a Chistov trade is we get back yet another left winger. This position is already over crowded as it is. but our lines would look pretty good though. We may have to include Chimera in the deal and have a d-man coming back. Maybe chistov and havelid for Comrie, Cross and Chimera.


Torres Smyth Hemsky
Chistov horcoff Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner York
Isbister Stoll BG


Brewer havelid
Smith Staois
Bergeron Semenov

extra's Pisani Ferguson

Chayos is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 08:08 AM
  #8
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
Why would we trade one small centre for an even smaller centre?

If the Ducks need scoring why isn't Chistov providing it? Just what we need, another small centre who can't score.

Your premise is that Comrie can score. In case you haven't noticed that's what we need. Maybe we should keep him!
while i like a chistov deal for comrie, your points here are very valid (other than the mistake that chistov is a center, im pretty sure hes a RW).... if we need scoring, why not just keep comrie? i know i know... we cant because of comrie himself, but you know what i mean.... and your point about why chistov isnt scoring for them is valid as well, but thats not really a concern to me, because chistov would be an improvement over torres (no matter how well hes played lately ) in terms of skill level

the big problem with this trade would be our winger situation....the only way i see lowe making a deal for another winger is if smyth all of a sudden starts playing VERY well at center, but i dont really see that happening to be honest

oh and one more thing... i think this is all just talk on our behalf as i would be VERY surprised to see anaheim trade away chistov period

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:04 AM
  #9
choppystride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
I'm not lobbying to ship out Comrie but just commenting on a trade idea that was mentioned by another poster several days ago.

I think highly of Comrie and would rather have him back. But from everything that is being revealed at this stage, it doesn't look like it's happening. Even if Lowe can force Comrie to come back this year, I doubt he'll be motivated to play here long term.

Yes, Chistov will add to our gut on the wing. But how many of our wingers have his kind of skill level? In about 2 years I think the only current Oiler forward who will be his equal or better is Hemksy.

As for the center problem, we can just sign someone like Oates or Ronning to help us get thru this year. After all, it's not like we're contending for the Cup this year anyway.

As for the size problem, I've always thought it's an overrated issue. It hasn't prevented the Wings and Avs from winning. Hasn't helped the Flyers to win anything (at least not since the 70's). Besides, I think with the lineup we have this year, our smallish skilled guys will be spread out among all 4 lines such that each line will have a big guy. So I don't think size will be too much of a problem.

As a final thought, I think that if we have to trade a young high end (potentially franchise) player like Comrie, we should focus on getting the best return possible instead of being totally fixated on trying solve the most immediate needs.

choppystride is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 12:30 PM
  #10
TheBrew
Registered User
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 540
What about Mark Bell from Chicago? he is a big centre 6'3 210 and is only 23 years old last year he scored 16 goals so he has talent to help now and still can develope into a really good goal score how about a Bell and McCarthy for Comrie and ????????

TheBrew is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 01:30 PM
  #11
Dr_Gonz0
Registered User
 
Dr_Gonz0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
What about Mark Bell from Chicago? he is a big centre 6'3 210 and is only 23 years old last year he scored 16 goals so he has talent to help now and still can develope into a really good goal score how about a Bell and McCarthy for Comrie and ????????
As far as I am concerned, this season doesn't matter overall that much, other than growing as a team, and hopefully making the playoffs. That said, Comrie can either sign with us, or KLowe can let him sit and rot, until the trade deadline, and it becomes a bidding war for him. PLEASE don't let us get a crappy return like Buttons did for Savard. Everyone here knows that a depserate team will overpay for him come the playoff stretch. Here's KLowe's chance to make a swindle, as long as he doesn't crack under pressure if our own team falters.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.