HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Domi rumors

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 09:22 AM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
More Domi rumors

Al Strachan in the Toronto Sun today wrote an artical about Domi being involved in trade rumors, this basically gives those rumors more credabilitiy since they are no longer just the idea's and speculation of Mojo and Fan radio shows.

Strachan said that while Ferguson denies shopping Domi around on the trade market, other GM's around the league are saying that he is shopping Domi around. While Domi doesn't have the greatest trade value anymore the Leafs cuold get a good defensemen from a team like the Wings, Blues or Devils who are missing some toughness for Domi and another player, pick and/or prospect.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:27 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Al Strachan in the Toronto Sun today wrote an artical about Domi being involved in trade rumors, this basically gives those rumors more credabilitiy since they are no longer just the idea's and speculation of Mojo and Fan radio shows.

Strachan said that while Ferguson denies shopping Domi around on the trade market, other GM's around the league are saying that he is shopping Domi around. While Domi doesn't have the greatest trade value anymore the Leafs cuold get a good defensemen from a team like the Wings, Blues or Devils who are missing some toughness for Domi and another player, pick and/or prospect.
I'm sure you'll find that many of the sheep here will dispute this article/rumour because of the author.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
I'm sure you'll find that many of the sheep here will dispute this article/rumour because of the author.
so you're agreeing with Strachan??? whos the sheep again?

Old
10-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Whether you like Strachan or not, you got to admit that he's got great connections.

I disagree with a lot of his hockey opinions, but I've always found his rumours and reporting for the most part are fairly accurate. Bill Watters confirmed this on Leafs Lunch today.

Remember, just because JFJ might be shopping Domi around doesn't mean Domi's gone for sure. JFJ might find that there isn't an offer to his liking.

JFJ took a bit of a beating over his handling of the Gilmour situation and he looked kind of stupid after Green ended up in Boston. I don't think he'd be too anxious to trade a fan favourite like Domi unless he can get a resonably significant return.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:42 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Whether you like Strachan or not, you got to admit that he's got great connections.

I disagree with a lot of his hockey opinions, but I've always found his rumours and reporting for the most part are fairly accurate. Bill Watters confirmed this on Leafs Lunch today.

Remember, just because JFJ might be shopping Domi around doesn't mean Domi's gone for sure. JFJ might find that there isn't an offer to his liking.

JFJ took a bit of a beating over his handling of the Gilmour situation and he looked kind of stupid after Green ended up in Boston. I don't think he'd be too anxious to trade a fan favourite like Domi unless he can get a resonably significant return.
I don't have any problem with Al, I find him entertaining. For Domi to return us anything of significance we would have to eat a bunch of his salary. I for one hope it happens.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
JFJ took a bit of a beating over his handling of the Gilmour situation
An undeserved one, too. He told a 40-year-old player trying to come back from an extremely serious injury to forget it.

The "situation" was created, maintained, and nurtured by the media.

Quote:
and he looked kind of stupid after Green ended up in Boston.
Not in the least.

He got rid of an overpaid underperforming hump who was hurting the team more than helping it.

Excellent move.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
He got rid of an overpaid underperforming hump who was hurting the team more than helping it.

Excellent move.
How was he hurting the team more than helping it?
We will miss this guy if we make the playoffs.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:

Excellent move.
Don't agree so much with you on that one. Green although not flashy or counted on to score goals was dependable and knew what he was there to do, which in my opinion he did a fine job. I don't see how he "hurt" the team. As for the Excellent move, well, that's yet to be determined. If it actually was part of this "bigger plan" JF keeps referring to then fine, he dumped some salary to make room (hopefully that's his bigger plan and it's not to just dump salary), otherwise he could have gotten something worthwhile in return for Green in exchange for eating some of his salary.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
How was he hurting the team more than helping it?
By floating through the year, being a part of the yapping and penalty problem, being a lazy undisciplined chump, and being paid 1.6 million to do so.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Right - so players, coaches and managment from all over the planet are not to be believed when the unanimously laud Mats Sundin's leadership and character, but a mealy-mouthed beat writer like Strachan, desperate to make a splash in the Toronto news market would never fudge or fool and make things up to cause controversy and sell newspapers. They are all lying because they are magically afraid of Mats Sundin and Leafs' fan reaction to criticism of the captain, but Strachan spouting off -- yet again -- without a single accredited source gives an idea 'credibility' it never had before....

If Strachan's 'league sources' were worth their salt, it would be Steve Tambellini purported to be shopping Domi and not Ferguson....

Forgive me if I don't share your misplaced credulity.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Old
10-16-2003, 11:10 AM
loveshack2

Is this the same Al Strachan who proclaimed on HNIC that Gaborik and the Wild were about $1 million apart and Gaborik would sign any second?? Since then it's been revealed that they were actually more than $3 million apart and Gaborik has now switched agents.

Yeah, he sure has great connections.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Is this the same Al Strachan who proclaimed on HNIC that Gaborik and the Wild were about $1 million apart and Gaborik would sign any second?? Since then it's been revealed that they were actually more than $3 million apart and Gaborik has now switched agents.

Yeah, he sure has great connections.
Quiet down there, sheep....

Old
10-16-2003, 11:25 AM
caber24

Green and Domi are both bums..... One down, one to go....

Old
10-16-2003, 11:32 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber24
Amen...

Old
10-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by caber24
Domi is far from a bum

Old
10-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Epoch

Strachan also said after a few good Perrott fights, people would be saying "Tie Who?".:p

Old
10-16-2003, 12:08 PM
sluggo*

"so players, coaches and managment from all over the planet are not to be believed when the unanimously laud Mats Sundin's leadership and character, but a mealy-mouthed beat writer like Strachan, desperate to make a splash in the Toronto news market would never fudge or fool and make things up to cause controversy and sell newspapers"

Strachan doesn't have to tow a company line. Really, if you don't know that we never heard coachs, players or managments real opinions about players and only get the "policially correct, company towing" line then I'm susprised your smart enough to turn on your computer. Team mates NEVER go into the media and bad mouth each other, coachs don't rip the C's off their star players jerseys and managment isn't going to say "Ya, our capatain is a crappy leader" , it just doesn't happen.

Even when Quinn talked abotu trading Belak. He didn't say "that idiotkeeps taking bad penalities" he said "He can't get a break in Toronto and we may have to trade him to give him the chance he needs to succeed in the NHL". Why come onto a hockey board and talk if you don't even know something as simple as this?

Old
10-16-2003, 01:19 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

renberg tucker belak reichel , dump em all

Old
10-16-2003, 01:53 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
"so players, coaches and managment from all over the planet are not to be believed when the unanimously laud Mats Sundin's leadership and character, but a mealy-mouthed beat writer like Strachan, desperate to make a splash in the Toronto news market would never fudge or fool and make things up to cause controversy and sell newspapers"

Strachan doesn't have to tow a company line. Really, if you don't know that we never heard coachs, players or managments real opinions about players and only get the "policially correct, company towing" line then I'm susprised your smart enough to turn on your computer. Team mates NEVER go into the media and bad mouth each other, coachs don't rip the C's off their star players jerseys and managment isn't going to say "Ya, our capatain is a crappy leader" , it just doesn't happen.

Even when Quinn talked abotu trading Belak. He didn't say "that idiotkeeps taking bad penalities" he said "He can't get a break in Toronto and we may have to trade him to give him the chance he needs to succeed in the NHL". Why come onto a hockey board and talk if you don't even know something as simple as this?

Well that's a nice little mantra except that teammates DO bad mouth each other in the media on occasion and coaches HAVE ripped the C's off their star players in the past and management HAS criticized players and captains before. It has happened, ergo it cannot *never* happen.

You can go ahead and believe that every time anyone has anything good to say about a teammate it's made up, and that every time a coach compliments a player it's BS. While of course the totally impartial media who has no agendas of their own. Just don't expect the rest of us to share in your delusion.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:30 PM
sluggo*

"teammates DO bad mouth each other in the media on occasion and coaches HAVE ripped the C's off their star players in the past and management HAS criticized players and captains before"

Lately? When.

And no, not every time a player or coach says something good its BS, however players and coach's etc... basically go by "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all". So when players don't like each other or think someone else would be a better captain etc... they keep that to themselves. Like I said if you don't have enough sense to know that I don't know why you are on a hockey fan site. Thats like saying "well mapleleafs.com says this player is a top prospect, so he must be a top prospect".

Old
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Dar

Quote:
basically go by "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all".
You might want to mention that rule to Mike Keenan.

Quote:
Like I said if you don't have enough sense to know that I don't know why you are on a hockey fan site.
Still like to fling the insults I see.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Courage*

Quote:

Strachan doesn't have to tow a company line.
Yes he does: his company line is "Create 'heat', sell papers." He needs to continue to provide controversy and intrigue in order for the SUN to sell the reading public to the advertisers who dominate the SUN's pages. If you don't understand that, then you've got no conception of how the Sports media function. In working-class papers like the SUN, the sports section is the KEY section drawing in readership - if it weren't interesting, full of intrique and contraversy, the SUN wouldn't sell. Ask anyone in the newspaper business. I can give you contacts. Heck, ask me, I used to be in it....

Quote:
Really, if you don't know that we never heard coachs, players or managments real opinions about players and only get the "policially correct, company towing" line then I'm susprised your smart enough to turn on your computer. Team mates NEVER go into the media and bad mouth each other, coachs don't rip the C's off their star players jerseys and managment isn't going to say "Ya, our capatain is a crappy leader" , it just doesn't happen.
Again, Sluggo, you have never answered the challenge put to this line of argument - that people NOT on the same team as Sundin, who owe nothing to Sundin and are in a position to speak frankly also give accolades to his leadership abilities. But again, you never miss a chance to miss the point. Second, perhaps YOU only have access to the company line - that doesn't mean everyone is on the outside looking in as you are.

More importantly, though, you talk as though there were never a captaincy change in the entire history of the NHL - as though guys get the 'C' and then retire that way 100% of the time. It's just not the case. That sort of stuff happens quite a bit. Moreover, you don't think that if management were thoroughly unimpressed with Sundin that they would have made a move to trade him? If he felt that they weren't satisfied, they would ask him to waive his no-trade and get a big return for him. They could have let him walk at the end of his last contract, but, instead they locked him up early to a great deal. If they are only lying about his abilities, why would they bother?

These and other questions remain unanswered.

Quote:
Why come onto a hockey board and talk if you don't even know something as simple as this?
I've already addressed this feeble argument. All you've done is set up a strawman, and instead of answering the stronger challenge placed to you above, you simply prattle on about this (lesser) point. Moreover, you cannot compensate for what inside knowledge I, or others may have. And since you can't, and your argument hinges the assumption of ignorance, your argument is flimsy at best.

Now, if you want to pretend you are the smartest guy on the board, go ahead, I'm smart enough not to get into a pissing match with a dog.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:30 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
An undeserved one, too. He told a 40-year-old player trying to come back from an extremely serious injury to forget it.

The "situation" was created, maintained, and nurtured by the media.
Hmmm, I think you are missing the point, and probably on purpose.

Most of the flack that Ferguson got for the Gilmour situation wasn't based on his choice not to re-sign him, but rather the shabby, and very disrespectful manner in which he handled it.

On Day 1 on the job, without having talked to Gilmour, he told the media he wasn't in the plans of the Maple Leafs. A player like Gilmour, with his history with the hockey club, deserves better then to be called at home for his reaction to Ferguson's comments about his Leaf career being over. Common sense dictates he should have contacted Gilmour and told him he was not in the plans before telling the media. Worse yet, he cancelled the ice time that Gilmour had at the Leafs practice facility (Lakeshore Lions Arena) and didn't have the courtesy to tell Gilmour, actually letting Doug come to the rink and be refused.

It was a tacky situation and yet another example of the the mismanagement of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Quote:
Not in the least.

Excellent move.
Yeah, excellent move. Great idea to throw an asset away and get nothing back for your hockey club.

And Ferguson thought he was so "overpaid" and "hurting the club" that the first thing he tried to do after "getting rid of him" was to call the Blue Jackets and attempt to re-acquire him.

Nice revisionist history there, Pep.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Dar

Just for the record, the fan 590 is reporting that Domi claims he will "NOT" report to another team and that he'd sooner retire than leave the Leafs.

Bye bye rumours.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:40 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Just for the record, the fan 590 is reporting that Domi claims he will "NOT" report to another team and that he'd sooner retire than leave the Leafs.

Bye bye rumours.
Either way would clear the salary off the books.

Closed Thread