HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/Pit Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Edm/Pit Proposal

Well, here's a random proposal that I think could help both teams out in the long run.

to Edm: Palffy, Jackman/Tarnstrom, pick/prospect
to Pit: Horcoff, Dvorak, Ulanov

Reasoning: Pittsburgh is having trouble keeping the puck out of their own goal and both Horcoff and Dvorak are fairly solid defensive forwards. Horcoff is emerging as a fairly decent offensive weapon this season and he could be used on the wing in Pittsburgh if need be. He's a valuable forward on the Oilers but Stoll, Reasoner and Peca have played well of late making him somewhat expendable if an offensive upgrade comes to town.

Palffy isn't a centreman and he makes a decent chunk of coin but he's a proven goal scorer which the Oilers could use. Ulanov is a fairly useless hockey player this season but he would need to be moved to make room for Jackman who would also help boost the Oilers powerplay.

Any thoughts?

Old
12-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Zoo

Any deal with you guys Smith has too be coming back the other way.

Pittsburgh are given way too much up here.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:23 AM
AEKaki

Interesting proposal, but they'd ask a better D then Ulanov, that's for sure.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
Any deal with you guys Smith has too be coming back the other way.

Pittsburgh are given way too much up here.
Really? I tend to equate Jackman's value as very little and thus I felt that a return of Horcoff and Dvorak on an expensive Palffy would be seen as pretty solid...

Old
12-16-2005, 06:38 AM
saba

Send a message via Yahoo to saba
Your junk for a good player in Palffy and a decent point producer in Jackman and Tarnstrom!!

I'm getting so tired of these proposals

Old
12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba
Your junk for a good player in Palffy and a decent point producer in Jackman and Tarnstrom!!

Horcoff isn't exactly junk. He's a good second line center. I know he hasn't scored a lot this year, but 27 points in 30 games isn't bad. Now, if you're refering to Ulanov then I'm not gonna argue.

Old
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm sure your tired of your dumpy team too. Maybe time for a shake-up?!? A new coach isnt going to help this country club team.

Old
12-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44prongs
Maybe time for a shake-up?!? A new coach isnt going to help this country club team.
making a bad trade isn't, either.

Old
12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Pittsburgh needs a centre like Horcoff who can play on as the 2nd line centre, Horcoff is under-rated defensively and very good at faceoffs, he won't go out and score a lot of goals but he will play great 2-way hockey

although I don't think the proposal is enough for Pittsburgh unless they want to dump Palffy's contract

Old
12-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Well, here's a random proposal that I think could help both teams out in the long run.

Reasoning: Pittsburgh is having trouble keeping the puck out of their own goal and both Horcoff and Dvorak are fairly solid defensive forwards. Horcoff is emerging as a fairly decent offensive weapon this season and he could be used on the wing in Pittsburgh if need be. He's a valuable forward on the Oilers but Stoll, Reasoner and Peca have played well of late making him somewhat expendable if an offensive upgrade comes to town.

Palffy isn't a centreman and he makes a decent chunk of coin but he's a proven goal scorer which the Oilers could use. Ulanov is a fairly useless hockey player this season but he would need to be moved to make room for Jackman who would also help boost the Oilers powerplay.

Any thoughts?
Well, I guess its an improvement because it doesn't involve Malkin or Fleury. But no, not close.

Old
12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Any interest in Satan and Sopel? I'd move them for a package built around Horcoff.

Old
12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Cerebral

Quote:

Well, I thought the value was fairly decent considering that Horcoff has the same number of points as Palffy and Jackman has been sitting on the bench for a number of games. I definitely wouldn't consider Horcoff junk but to each his own.

Old
12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The problem here is that you are proposing a package where Pitt basically gives up an elite player and a sub-elite player for a good center (although, let's put this in perspective, Horcroff is probably going to get less than 15 goals this year) and injured third line winger. It might be a reasonable deal if Pitt is desperate to get $ off the payroll. But, don't expect to propose a salary dump and have Pitt fans be enthusiastic about it. From a player personnel perspective, this would not be a good deal for Pitt at all.

Old
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Any interest in Satan and Sopel? I'd move them for a package built around Horcoff.

Me too.

Old
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44prongs
I'm sure your tired of your dumpy team too. Maybe time for a shake-up?!? A new coach isnt going to help this country club team.
Your avatar speaks volumes about your opinion on this subject.

Old
12-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
The problem here is that you are proposing a package where Pitt basically gives up an elite player and a sub-elite player for a good center (although, let's put this in perspective, Horcroff is probably going to get less than 15 goals this year) and injured third line winger. It might be a reasonable deal if Pitt is desperate to get $ off the payroll. But, don't expect to propose a salary dump and have Pitt fans be enthusiastic about it. From a player personnel perspective, this would not be a good deal for Pitt at all.
Fair enough, I thought it would be a good shakeup for a team suffering to put wins on the boards. Cutting salary would also provide room to grab a guy like Witt to help out the defensive core.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
Your avatar speaks volumes about your opinion on this subject.
Not sure what youíre implying with this.

The Pens have greatly under performed. I donít expect that coaching change to make that big of a difference. The problems with the Pens run deep Ė reliance on vets that cant perform to their previous levels, a lack of defensive awareness at both the forward and defensive positions, alleged off-ice team issues, etc.

Palffy is a good offensive talent, but if you can get two guys in return that know how to keep the puck out of their own net, then that is as good as goals as long as you have other players that can score (which the Pens do). I think this trade is pretty reasonable. However, I donít see it happening. Horc is destined to be shipped to St. Loius in the near future IMO.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fair enough, I thought it would be a good shakeup for a team suffering to put wins on the boards. Cutting salary would also provide room to grab a guy like Witt to help out the defensive core.

Why would they like to "grab a guy like Witt" who is an impending UFA? And, why would Washington trade Witt at this point in the year? They might as well hold onto him, and then auction him off at an inflated price at the deadline.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Why would they like to "grab a guy like Witt" who is an impending UFA? And, why would Washington trade Witt at this point in the year? They might as well hold onto him, and then auction him off at an inflated price at the deadline.
Well, I'm under the impression that they're still fighting for a playoff spot and that the defence needs an upgrade to accomplish that goal. Making a move for a steady stay-at-home guy like Witt (or another reliable defenceman, he was just an example) would be a step in the right direction.

Old
12-16-2005, 01:59 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Why would the Pens have to give a pick? I don't know much about Horcoff, but the trade is pretty much him and Dvorak (who isn't anything special) for Palffy and then you want Tarnstrom or Jackman for Ulanov who may be worse than some of the Penguin defenseman (hard to believe I know, but entirely possible). Regardless, the pick you want the Pens to throw in puts it over the top in EDM's favor.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, I'm under the impression that they're still fighting for a playoff spot and that the defence needs an upgrade to accomplish that goal. Making a move for a steady stay-at-home guy like Witt (or another reliable defenceman, he was just an example) would be a step in the right direction.
They're quite a bit back from a playoff spot. But, beside that, "Steady stay-at-home dmen" are simply not available right now. Caps want high level prospects for Witt, which Pitt will not do (especially for an impending UFA).

Besides, the Pens have room on their payroll right now and could acquire a guy like Witt without sacrificing Palffy for the likes of Dvorak.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Hemsky4PM

I think the Oilers would pick up Palffy only if they were losing Peca. It's a swap that might actually benefit both teams. Peca clearly doesn't fit in Edmonton and Pittsburgh has a plethora of suspect defensive players. Not to mention, Peca's contract is up after this season, whereas Palffy has 2 years remaining at big money. Edmonton has no use for a player like Tarnstrom, Bergeron has turned into a very solid no.3 d-man. An why would Pittsburgh want Ulanov? He's brutal.

Old
12-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

If you were Pitt, would you rather pay 4 million this year for Palffy or 4 million for Peca?

And, yeah, Pitt could walk away from Peca's contract. But, they have room on the payroll for Palffy and I see little reason to believe that they've suddenly lost interest in retaining him.

Old
12-16-2005, 05:33 PM
fastfeet*

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Na, I live in edmonton and see them almost every game and Horcoff is someone the pens do not need, Ulanov is terrible, and well dvorak is a good third liner. Palffy is just too good as compared to the oilers that would be coming the other way...pens don't make this trade

Old
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
punk_o_holic

As a Oilers fan I'll take it. I also think Dvorak means more to the Oilers then the Penguins. Also I would say take away pick/prospect. Ulanov and Dvorak are both UFA and if they don't sign with them then the trade looks brutal on the long term for the Pens. Ulanov will be retired and I could see D-vo wanting to go to playoff team.

Closed Thread