HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some positives.

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Some positives.

There ARE some good things coming out of the first three Oiler games.

1. Salo. He's made some huge saves, has let in only one real stinker and has given the Oilers a chance to find their legs in every game, including Vancouver.

2. Laraque. This is easily his best start to any season since he's been here. He looks like he's much quicker in open ice.

3. Horcoff. I know he took a penalty last night at a bad time, but he's shown some moves and deft passing skills so far.

4. Torres. I love this guy! Hands of stone, but we love these guys.

5. Smyth. Remember now he's still nursing an injury, and has had some uneven shifts. However, there's alot of try and he's popped 2 of the team's 5 goals.

6. Hemsky. He's made stellar passes every game, it's not his fault there isn't more finish on his line.

7. Jason Smith. He's healthy, thank God.

8. Bergeron. Has enough speed to make up for mistakes, and a mean streak.

9. Brewer. I don't think most will agree, and his outlet passes could be alot better, but he looks confident.

imo York is still hurt, and the team at center is as poor as they have been since the WHA days. That has to be fixed, and then everything else will fall into place.

Watching the Oilers at center right now is like watching Hubie Brooks play shortstop for the Expos in the 80s.

It just doesn't look right.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Big T

Sounds like a good assessment LT. I agree that Brewer has played better than he's looked (if that makes sense) especially against Calgary.

I don't like York at centre. I think he belongs on the right side with Moreau and Reasoner. He's great defensively and would create with those two I'm sure.

That leaves room for Stoll to come in on the fourth line and Horc to be up on the second.

After that I think Mac T should leave things alone. I really feel players peform better when they have consistent line-mates.

Bregeron has looked good as has Staios but excluding Brewer the rest look painfully slow out there.

I think this team will come around. Just give it some time.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:51 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Sounds like a good assessment LT. I agree that Brewer has played better than he's looked (if that makes sense) especially against Calgary.

I don't like York at centre. I think he belongs on the right side with Moreau and Reasoner. He's great defensively and would create with those two I'm sure.

That leaves room for Stoll to come in on the fourth line and Horc to be up on the second.

After that I think Mac T should leave things alone. I really feel players peform better when they have consistent line-mates.

Bregeron has looked good as has Staios but excluding Brewer the rest look painfully slow out there.

I think this team will come around. Just give it some time.
Agreed and I like the York in Pisani's place - I mentioned him being on the checking line during camp and people flipped on me. I'd think somethign like this would be good:

Isbister-Smyth-Hemksy
Chimera-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

That'd spread out the scoring even more and I think that would give us what would be one of the best third lines in the NHL.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:57 PM
the future

another positive is edmonton has just over 60 games to be officially eliminated from playoff contention

Old
10-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Isbister-Smyth-Hemksy
Chimera-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

That'd spread out the scoring even more and I think that would give us what would be one of the best third lines in the NHL.

Exactly!! That would be perfect. I sure hope Mac T reads this board (yeah right) b/c putting those lines out there and just leaving them alone would be genius.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future
another positive is edmonton has just over 60 games to be officially eliminated from playoff contention
such a sad life a troll flames fan leads ..... I sincerely pitty you.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:32 PM
MrMackey

LT - I agree with a lot of this and its nice to see someone remaining positive. I've been complaining a lot lately, but I'm still fairly optimistic on the season. However I would disagree on three points:

1, Smyth - its very hard to criticize him, given that he's coming off the injury & is not playing in his natural position, but I don't think he makes a great centreman. Got to love his try though - this is more of a criticism of MacT I guess.

2. Smith - I like that he's healthy but don't love the way he's been playing.

3. The fact that Dvorak, Chimera and Isbister are absent from the list of positives... they need to be there for this team to succeed without Comrie.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
the future

Quote:
well i'll take your pity and the 2 points

Old
10-15-2003, 03:38 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well i'll take your pity and the 2 points
We could lose every single game to you this year and we'll still be ahead of you in the standings. The Flames aren't even a young team any more and at the absolute unlikely best they'll sneek into the playoffs. But I'm not going to reply to a troll anymore.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
LT - I agree with a lot of this and its nice to see someone remaining positive. Although I've been complaining a lot lately, I'm still fairly optimistic on the season. However I would disagree on three points:

1, Smyth - its very hard to criticize him, given that he's coming off the injury & is not playing in his natural position, but I don't think he makes a great centreman. Got to love his try though - this is more of a criticism of MacT I guess.

2. Smith - I like that he's healthy but don't love the way he's been playing.

3. The fact that Dvorak, Chimera and Isbister are absent from the list of positives... they need to be there for this team to succeed without Comrie.
I think if they give Chimera some ice time he will produce.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:40 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

"Please Do Not Feed the Trolls"

Old
10-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I think if they give Chimera some ice time he will produce.

Chimera will produce. He has good hands and decent patience for as young as he is. And who can argue with the speed.

Last year he put up really good numbers given his limited ice time. I don't know the exact figure but he spent a lot of time upstairs. I don't know why. I love his attitude though. All he talked about when he was in the PB was how much he can learn by watching from up there.

Attitude is so important out there. And I know that Lowe looks for this in his players. Almost everyone he has brought in has been really good this way (Dvo, Isbister).

I would like to see Chimmer a bit more aggressive though. I'm not sure it's in his personality.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:16 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
There ARE some good things coming out of the first three Oiler games.

4. Torres. I love this guy! Hands of stone, but we love these guys.
Torres this guy makes me mad sometimes on nights he has exellint hands batting pucks out of the air and such when on others he has stones that could even be worse than Ethans but hopfully he gains confidence and score more goals

Old
10-15-2003, 04:21 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Chimera will produce. He has good hands and decent patience for as young as he is. And who can argue with the speed.

Last year he put up really good numbers given his limited ice time. I don't know the exact figure but he spent a lot of time upstairs. I don't know why. I love his attitude though. All he talked about when he was in the PB was how much he can learn by watching from up there.

Attitude is so important out there. And I know that Lowe looks for this in his players. Almost everyone he has brought in has been really good this way (Dvo, Isbister).

I would like to see Chimmer a bit more aggressive though. I'm not sure it's in his personality.
I agree with you. I'm a big fan of Chimera... he's not playing all that aggressive right now, but he has that in his toolbox. I disagree that he's not getting the icetime (mentioned by coyote) as he has been playing on the second line - he's being given a golden opportunity and has to prove his worth.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Hyped

[QUOTE=thome_26]
That'd spread out the scoring even more[QUOTE]

Scoring? I think it's spread pretty thin as is.

York was the Oilers best player last year. He does not deserve linemates like that...

Old
10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Well it usually takes the Flames about 30 games so I guess we are better.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:37 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
LT, I have to disagree that Smyth is an overall positive. The two goals came in one game (obviously ) - one came after the Sharks were already down and out. I see him making a lot of low percentage passes, maybe I'm seeing something you're not, but I don't think he's suited to passing from the middle of the ice. Hopefully it's something he'll pick up. He's better on faceoffs than I would have expected, at least.

J. Smith is playing pretty well, and generally speaking, so is Brewer. I'd still like to see Semi draw in though, and that leaves either Fergie or MAB on the outside looking in - they're the smallest. Probably Fergie, much as I hate to say it - he's also slower and doesn't have the PP bonus (although I'm wondering what MAB has brought on the PP so far, lots of good passes is a bonus, but he can't seem to hit the net with a shot).

Up front, it's like Moreau said: just a bit out of synch. They can't seem to enter the opposing zone with speed, and it's just killing them. There always seems to be one or two guys stopped dead at the blueline.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Hairball

Finally. Reading through all the negativity, I've found something I want to respond to. LT Thank you for starting this. I agree with most of what you said. I have to disagree with York though. I think he just needs to remember his game. It's been disrupted for so long, he just needs to remember. Anyway, in my opinion, 19 and 14 shots for is not condusive to scoring many goals. We don't have that natural goal scoring talent either, so we can't rely on that. But then we've never really had that except maybe Comrie. I'm in no way saying that his situation is to blame for our lack of offense. We are pretty much in the same situation as we always are- there's been no significant change to believe otherwise. So what I have to say is we lost a 3 goal game to a great team and a 1 goal game to a lesser team. It's not the end of the world. If we end up out of the playoffs by 1 point behind Calgary I'll eat my hat, but at this point in the season, why is there so much negativity? There isn't much to panic about. There's only been 2 bad games. I'm still pretty excited about this season.

Sorry, it's early and my thoughts aren't following a logical flow just now. I think I got it all in.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:44 AM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Well it usually takes the Flames about 30 games so I guess we are better.

30 Games? Their usually eliminated right before the Season starts!!

Old
10-16-2003, 06:37 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
30 Games? Their usually eliminated right before the Season starts!!
The Flames have one good month-month 1/2 every year, and then ALL the flames fans and their media live off that and say, "oh look how good they can be!!! They have a good shot at the playoffs!"
Pfft.... Columbus had a good month last year too, I'm sure.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Up front, it's like Moreau said: just a bit out of synch. They can't seem to enter the opposing zone with speed, and it's just killing them. There always seems to be one or two guys stopped dead at the blueline.

Entering the opposing zone with speed comes from the break-out. I know i've harped on this a lot but that is why we need more guys like MAB. Hopefully they don't have the pituitary problem he has though and can crack the 6 foot mark!! (Ha Ha)

I have to agree with your assessment though that there is usually two guys stopped at the blueline. All the more reason to get Berard signed quickly!!

Old
10-16-2003, 09:22 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Isbister-Smyth-Hemksy
Chimera-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque
Nice.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:25 AM
oilswell

Quote:
LOL. Good one.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:28 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
There's only been 2 bad games. I'm still pretty excited about this season ... I think he(York) just needs to remember his game. It's been disrupted for so long, he just needs to remember.
Plus watching Guerin and Modano both miss the gaping open net while watching the STARS lose to Boston was delightful. Boy is Turco looking very pedestrian in goal for Dallas. Tommy is looking much better. I think we can cut Torres a little slack on getting bummed out of a goal by Mcklennan(spelling?). Raffi's first goal showed some nice hand to eye co-ordination.

Hopefully, the Sabres being banged-up a bit will help the hometown Oil-riggers drill some holes to the black gold, turning Buffalo's end of the ice into a red light district, with Sirens wailing and the 'Oil' on fire offensively. Could be Mythic in proportions. Laraque tossing thunderbolts around like Zeus and Smyth impersonating Hermes the Greek messenger god, he of the winged feet, with bad news and the Sabres blades snapped as the Copper & Blue hammer Buffalo into Hockey's Hades on this fine fall night.

Hey but no pressure boys, the journey for the Golden Fleece is a long and arduous quest and we must remember to enjoy each and every stop and detour along the way.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:31 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
I think we can cut Torres a little slack on getting bummed out of a goal by Mcklennan(spelling?). Raffi's first goal showed some nice hand to eye co-ordination.
Was I the only one who thought he looked completely suprised the puck ended up on his stick on that play (against Calgary)?

Closed Thread