HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Up Grebs

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Rob Stauber*

vCash: 500
Bring Up Grebs

Send down Weaver, of course once we're healthy at the back end. Weaver was great in the first 20 games. But the last 17, for every good/great play he makes, theres about 3 blunders to go with it. And I'm not trying to make him the whipping boy, but if you bring up Grebs, at least we can see what he can do offensively on the PP. Petiot is probably more NHL ready at this point, but we're in desperate need of a pp QB. And if we can't trade for one, give Grebs a shot.

Last edited by Rob Stauber: 12-23-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old
12-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Chartrand

You probably aren't going to get much resistance from Reggie, et al.

Old
12-24-2005, 04:47 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

if it can help our PP, then sure, why not...our PP has already lost us games

Old
12-24-2005, 09:03 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy

he hasn't helped our PP much, so you're welcome to him.

Old
12-24-2005, 10:19 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Just let me know if there's anything I can do to move this effort along. I'll even foot the airfare (coach, sorry Grebs).

It's time. Bring up Grebs. Please, I'm begging you.

Oh, and yeah - send us back that miserable little Weaver character. Sure it's an uneven trade (you have no idea how uneven) but it's a sacrifice I personally am willing to make.

Old
12-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
The Monarchs power(less) play ranks 26th out of 27 teams.

Manchester Monarchs - 30 games, 188 opportunities, 22 goals, 0.117 percent.

Old
12-24-2005, 11:48 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
give Grebs a shot.
Why just a shot? Give him the whole bottle and see where that goes...

Last edited by King Blazer: 12-24-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48

You can pretty much swap names, the results are the same. Need a new approach with in the organization when it comes to the pp. Coaches need to be held accountable, esp those who's job it is to coach the pp.

Old
12-24-2005, 12:57 PM
BINGO

You just don't get it....

Old
12-24-2005, 09:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The PP sucks because it is the same play with no movement. 3 guys down low, 2 guys on the point. The D never pinch and it is all set up for a shot from the point. The problem is none of the D have hard, accurate shots and nobody sets up a good screen like a Holmstrom on this team. I would like to see the D pinch down low more often. Lubo and Corvo can handle the puck better than most of the forwards, let them carry the puck low and slowest forward into the zone covers him. Or flood a zone so the lone dman can go down the back door, some kind of movement please Van Boxmeer? The only movement this guy can teach is 1 that involves his bowels.

Old
12-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Having this guy,
and/or this guy, would help quite a bit.

Old
12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48

Like father, like son...

Old
12-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Having this guy,
and/or this guy, would help quite a bit.
It's unimaginable that the Kings actually had both at the same time. If someone told me for the first time that a team had two of the top 10 scoring defensemen and powerplay quarterbacks and now have neither, I'd say that the GM responsible for that should be lynched. I've mostly liked what DT has done as GM, but that, in hindisght, looks like a serious botch job.

Old
12-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

From dealing both Blake and Schneider, the Kings have the following players/prospects:

Aaron Miller
Sean Avery
Jeff Tambellini
Brian Boyle
T.J. Fast

I guess when you consider the fact that they were likely to lose both as free agents and walk away with nothing to show, it isn't a bad return.

Bringing back Blake next season would be a wise move. Hopefully it won't backfire like the Duchesne signing. I wish the Kings were able to sign Schneider as a free agent this past off-season, but Detroit really gave him a lot of money. He is earning his paycheck though and is still performing like a top 2 defenseman, something the Kings sorely lack and desire.

Old
12-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Tadite

I wish people would stop posting based upon nothing but reputation.

Blake is a shadow of himself. He has lost his speed and hasn't been able to make the transition to the New NHL.

My god the guy is -14.

Schneider is at least still a good player.

Old
12-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
I wish people would stop posting based upon nothing but reputation.

Blake is a shadow of himself. He has lost his speed and hasn't been able to make the transition to the New NHL.

My god the guy is -14.

Schneider is at least still a good player.
You seem to forget that Schneider was a 2nd-rate powerplay quarterback before he signed with the Kings. Most people were just hoping at the time that he was better than Duschene. His +/- for the 3 seasons prior to signing with the Kings was -12, -19 and -6. In light of that, -14 from Blake doesn't look that bad. Also, Blake was a force with the Kings for years, despite having negative +/-. If someone would rather have Corvo than Blake because +23 looks better than -14, then that's his business, but it's very foolish, IMO.

Also, most Kings fans were trashing Carter during the lockout, calling the one bad season of his career the turning point to mediocrity. Now some people are saying the same about Blake. Kings fans did some of the same with Miller because of his bad last season. I would think that the lesson would've been learned with Carter and Miller, and that people would quit making rash decisions based on one off-year. Some people need to take a little risk and have a little well-placed faith in a player. That happens to be DT's greatest strength, IMO. Look at Garon, LaBarbera, Miller, Conroy and others, and that's just this season.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-25-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old
12-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Johnny Utah

Over the past 3-4 years the Kings have lost Blake, Boucher, and Scheidner and replaced them with....no one. Corvo and Visnovsky have taken over the PP play and it hasnt look good.

The Kings need another power play QB and preferrably a guy who can throw his weight around also. Gleason is the only Kings D man ever throwing any checks or clearing people out.

Old
12-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings have an odd history with defensemen coming and going.

I like to look at the 92-93 Kings group of dmen at the start of 92-93. Coffey, Blake, McSorley, Zhitnik, Sydor, Huddy, Watters. At the deadline, Coffey is gone and they brought back Mark Hardy.

Fast forward to 95-96, and the Kings defense is made up of regulars like Blake, Boucher, Norstrom, O'Donnell, Zmolek, Finn, Berg with some appearances from Slaney, J.Vopat, Modry.

The start of 00-01 had the Kings set with one of their best grouping of defensemen with Blake, Schneider, Norstrom, Visnovsky, Modry, Boucher and Karalahti. Aki Berg was also with the team at the start of the season but was dealt for Adam Mair and a 2nd rounder (Cammalleri). Remove Blake and insert Aaron Miller, and it still is a pretty good grouping of dmen.

A season later, Karalahti is suspended for missing practices, find out he has a bit of a drinking problem, and he is dealt to Nashville for Cliff Ronning. Boucher finally puts it together, staying healthy and posting a career year and showing us why Sam McMaster was so high on Boucher when the Kings acquired him for Zhitnik. But Dallas offers him a load of $$$ and he bolts out of town.

So 02-03 becomes the year of the Corvo. Early in the season, the Kings trade Bednar and Lilja and acquire Dmitri Yushkevich, who wasn't quite the same defenseman after moving on from Toronto. Yushkevich is moved for a pick later that season and Schneider is dealt at the deadline. At the end of the season, the Kings defense is made up of Visnovsky, Modry, Norstrom, Miller, Corvo and a rotation between Norton, McAlpine, Kuznetsov and Zizka.

03-04 is more or less the same, with the addition of Gleason and Holland and a deadline deal to bring in Nathan Dempsey.

Now, with the 05-06 season, the regulars are Visnovsky, Corvo, Norstrom, Miller, Gleason, Weaver and Dempsey. The Kings have not made a significant addition to their defense since signing Mathieu Schneider.

The following defenseman are in the Kings pipeline: Petiot, Grebeshkov, B.Fast, Wilford and Mormina in the minors. The Kings only have one defenseman playing in any Canadian junior league, Ryan McGinnis, who is with the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL. They have three defensemen in college, Baier, T.J. Fast and Meyers.
In Europe there is Hersley, Mantyla, Lyubushin and others who probably will not be in the NHL any time soon (Zizka, Nemecek and Shefer).

The Kings are VERY thin on defense, and this could be a huge concern very soon.

Old
12-25-2005, 09:11 PM
BINGO

Great posts Ziggy.....

was Karalahti the guy who was shipped to Manchester, but went on a bender once he arrived and never reported to the Monarchs???

I heard legendary stories from friends that a "washed up" pro hockey player was in town getting all fubbed up in some of the local haunts.....

Old
12-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Haha, that sounds like Karalahti. It is pretty funny if those rumors are true, especially when you read this...

January 18 - Assigned defenseman Jere Karalahti to Manchester of the American Hockey League for conditioning purposes.

He never appeared in a game with the Monarchs and was dealt two months later.

Old
12-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Over the past 3-4 years the Kings have lost Blake, Boucher, and Scheidner and replaced them with....no one. Corvo and Visnovsky have taken over the PP play and it hasnt look good.

The Kings need another power play QB and preferrably a guy who can throw his weight around also. Gleason is the only Kings D man ever throwing any checks or clearing people out.
Jeez, where's the love for Modry? :-)

Closed Thread