HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young guys earning permanent spots?

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2005, 09:57 PM
easton122

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Young guys earning permanent spots?

- We already know R.J. Umberger has a permanent spot on this team. Does anyone else think that Umberger has outperformed both Carter and Richards thus far? Richards started out great, went into a lull and then played good again before disappearing (before that SO goal). Carter started out real slow and then for a few weeks had some amazing goals and plays but since then he's been pretty snake-bitten too. Umberger has been relatively consistent the whole season and has really turned it up recently. I might be in the minority (I even bought a Richards jersey early on) but Umberger IMO has been consistently better (but not as flashy) as Carter or Richards.

- As long as Ben Eager doesn't slow down I personally think it would be horrible to return him to the Phantoms. He is one of the few Flyers who no matter what finishes his checks and looks for big hits. He has been making some great set ups with his amazing play along the boards as well. He hasn't been taking any real bad penalties either. A lot of his penalties shouldn't have been calls IMO.

- Freddy Meyer has been good offensively, defensively and physically thus far. Almost every game he has played he has taken the biggest hit against the Flyers and seems unfazed everytime. Offensively he has been good at passing and skating but he'll need to improve his shooting IMO (fanned a few times). Defensively he has been taking the body and reminds me of Johnsson with some of his stick checks. I think he is better than Therien and Seidenberg right now and he'll get even better as the season moves along. With a healthy defense corps I could easily forsee a trade of the underachieving Seidenberg and then moving Bundy to the 7th spot. Meyer also brings some nice speed and skill to a defense that is much lacking in that regard (especially right now). Hitch seems to be playing him in some high pressure situations.

To sum it up I think Umberger needs to be given a bigger spot with the team when fully healthy (provided he keeps up his play). Eager and Meyer really need to stick with the big club as well. If that means Savage or Brashear and Seidenberg have to get traded/ bought out then so be it. We need to ice the best roster as possible.

Old
12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
- As long as Ben Eager doesn't slow down I personally think it would be horrible to return him to the Phantoms. He is one of the few Flyers who no matter what finishes his checks and looks for big hits. He has been making some great set ups with his amazing play along the boards as well. He hasn't been taking any real bad penalties either. A lot of his penalties shouldn't have been calls IMO.
I've gotta agree with this especially. The dumb/untimely penalties were one of the problems he's had as a prospect, and those certainly haven't been happening at the NHL level.

Old
12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I hope Ellison makes it too, in the last game it looked like he was finally coming around only to be sent back down to the minors. Aside from Ellison I hope that Eager and Umberger both make it.

As for defense I don't really like one above the other. All that matters to me is having Pitkanen-Rathje as the top, Rico-Hatcher as the second, and Johnson-NOT Therien as the third. The Seidenberg Meyer experiment hasn't been half bad, I wouldn't mind sitting Johnsson once Pitkanen comes back just so he can heal his groin.

Old
12-20-2005, 12:59 AM
TheKingPin

I would have said send savage down before but he played great at the Buffalo game. And to answer the question about Carter and Richards, they hav ebeen moved with lesser players due to the injuries and are facing tougher checking lines as we do not have two scoring lines right now.

Old
12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
I would have said send savage down before but he played great at the Buffalo game. And to answer the question about Carter and Richards, they hav ebeen moved with lesser players due to the injuries and are facing tougher checking lines as we do not have two scoring lines right now.
I could be wrong, but wouldn't Savage have to clear waivers in order to be sent down?

Old
12-20-2005, 10:29 AM
jb**

[QUOTE=easton122]-

-QUOTE]
Eager has really impressed me with his consistency. Not taking dumb penalties and really flying out there and playing the body. He is someone I want to see score some goals. Every game he is getting quality scoring chances and just isn’t burying them as of yet. Hopefully some start to go in because IMO anything we got offensively from him is gravy and he has made some nice passes. I don’t think it would hurt him at all to go back down as when we are healthy I can’t see him playing but who knows. I hope they put him with some skill guys on the Phantoms and give him big minutes and pp and pk time as it would help his development. Not sure what his trade value was before he was called up, but it has increased as he has shown he can handle the NHL. This just gives Clarke another chip to trade if needed.

Old
12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
- We already know R.J. Umberger has a permanent spot on this team. Does anyone else think that Umberger has outperformed both Carter and Richards thus far?
No. He's been consistent, but not at the level of Richards and Carter.

Quote:
Richards started out great, went into a lull and then played good again before disappearing (before that SO goal). Carter started out real slow and then for a few weeks had some amazing goals and plays but since then he's been pretty snake-bitten too. Umberger has been relatively consistent the whole season and has really turned it up recently. I might be in the minority (I even bought a Richards jersey early on) but Umberger IMO has been consistently better (but not as flashy) as Carter or Richards.
And at some point, Umberger is going to falter and Carter and Richards will be playing well at that time. They're rookies, rookies go into periods of inconsistency. That's the way it goes.

Old
12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Banger

Disagree with your Umberger comments but agree with your Eager/Meyer comments.

Umberger has been surprisingly good but I don't notice him nearly as much as Carter/Richards (nor do I think he has the talent that they do).

Meyer has be a pleasant surprise and I like how he consistently takes the body. He may not throw crushing checks but just disrupting and slowing a forwards progress is all it takes to break up a play. He is a good skater and passer. Unfortunately he's undersized so it might be tough to become an everyday NHL defensemen but he's been solid so far.

Eager has definitely earned a spot IMO and has surprised me with the finesse part of his game with some nice passes. He's yet to bury one but its coming. He's GREAT on the boards and on the puck, he's fast, throws the body, willing to throw the fists and just a great overall energy player.

Closed Thread