HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for some much deserved criticism to Renney

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Interesting SoS...

do you really mean this: "but the bad outweights the good with Renney by far"; even I wouldn't say by far.

Old
12-22-2005, 08:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Renney is doing an awesome job. TB you make some excellant points but the bad outweights the good with Renney by far. Its easy to point out the obvious but teams are going to struggle throughout a long season. The Rangers are still a very good team. It isn't like this team is being blown out.
I actually think that the good outweights the bad with Renney. So far. For all the kudos that I have given him, I am still not 100% sold on him (hopefully I he will give me more than enough reasons to post a very nice crow-eating post by the end of the year). As mentioned earlier by Fletch, I would like to see him "coach" a little more right now. Wins or losses, makes no difference to me this year. But good work habits from the players and being able to make adjustments (from the coaches-side) is what I am looking for.

Old
12-22-2005, 08:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I disagree in the area of discipline mainly because I am unsure of whether you are saying that the team plays undiscipline or that he doesn't enforce discipline. The team certainly doesn't play undisciplined.
You cannot seperate penalties from undisciplined play. For the most part, the play has been disciplined. Though I grind my teeth every time I see Malik or Rozsival clear the puck through the center of the ice instead of using the boards. But the dsclipline shows when Betts does not skate down the ice at the end of his shift, but chooses to go for a line change.
However, taking lazy penalties is also a part of the play. Granted sometimes obstruction will happen if you think that you are preventing an odd-man rush, but not to the extend that the Rangers have taken them. Taking lazy penalties during the play on the ice is a part of disciplie, and in that aspect, the team and Renney are failing.

"Do they take stupid penalties? Yes! I would, like you, see him use the pine more as an effective combatant against repeat offenders."

That is a part of it. I would like to see someone besided Neimo and Poti be held accountable. Sit Nylander. Sit one of Jagr's personal posse (Rozsival) and allow a deserving Drats to play. You need to establish discipline for everyone, not just a few players with no affiliations to the Czechs.

" The question I have and haven't gotten an answer to it is are we being held back from doing that by waivers?"

I do not believe so. Maybe I am wrong, but calling up Immonen costs nothing. Bench Nylander and allow Jarkko to play.

Old
12-22-2005, 08:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC
well i agree with you they should sit except for ruckinsky because this team can't afford to be without his offense but the others can sit, but all im saying is that benching those type of players won't learn cause that how they play.
If they do not learn, then they do not play. It does not get much easier than that. Right now, the penalties are hurting the team. Either you are a part of the solution or you are a part of the problem. If a player cannot figure out how to play within the confines of today's game, then said player should not be dressing.
I could care less about Rucinsky's offense. The team did just fine without him. Either adhere to the rules or do not play.

Old
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
BigE

I was just thinking the other day, maybe we should send them to West Point for a mini-camp. I guess Renney brought a little bit of West Point to them. If these guys aren't fired up for tonights game this team is in serious do-do.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/60052.htm

Old
12-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Fletch

Good move by Renney...

changing things up is a good thing at this point. Although, as Melrose said somewhere, there are a couple things the team could've worked on (PP anyone?).

Old
12-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Overall I think Renney has done a good job with this team. I wouldn't call it great, but it's been good. My main area of concern seems to be a lack of urgency to change things up sometimes. I'm not saying every game change things up, but rather giving people different chances at things and trying something new when something doesn't work.

I wouldn't call it awesome or great though, because I also think this team has caught quite a few good breaks at times that have covered some really dangerous mistakes. This team has hit a little bit of a funk lately (which is expected) and to me, their approach to this time will be a far better test than their season up to this point. Their ability to change things up, rebound from adversity and fight will be instrumental in both the team's success and the learning experience of its younger players. For now I sit back and watch.

Old
12-22-2005, 10:02 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
The powerplay was excellent tonight.

Old
12-22-2005, 10:27 PM
TheZherdev

The power play

Awesome job Renney to redeem the power play. I have been thinking for a long time that Rucinsky should play the point over Straka. Rucisnky might have the best shot on the team (except maybe Jagr and Prucha). The aim is deadly on it and he does an amazing job at keeping the shots low. Frankly I think he is the best perimeter shooter on the team. Straka has no shot and it was obvious he was failing to QB to PP. Roszival had no use on the pp either. Poti should be on it. I think Poti just needs to regain his confidence and I think he will start proving some people wrong soon. This guy did have a very good season a few years ago (When Leetch was constantly injured). Keep giving him minutes and he WILL improve. He has the skill, he’s just afraid to use them. Overall putting Rucinsky and Poti on the points was a great idea. And glad to see the rangers rushing the puck on the wide side of the defensemen rather than going right into them or cutting through the middle.

Old
12-22-2005, 10:28 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
Awesome job Renney to redeem the power play. I have been thinking for a long time that Rucinsky should play the point over Straka. Rucisnky might have the best shot on the team (except maybe Jagr and Prucha). The aim is deadly on it and he does an amazing job at keeping the shots low. Frankly I think he is the best perimeter shooter on the team. Straka has no shot and it was obvious he was failing to QB to PP. Roszival had no use on the pp either. Poti should be on it. I think Poti just needs to regain his confidence and I think he will start proving some people wrong soon. This guy did have a very good season a few years ago (When Leetch was constantly injured). Keep giving him minutes and he WILL improve. He has the skill, he’s just afraid to use them. Overall putting Rucinsky and Poti on the points was a great idea. And glad to see the rangers rushing the puck on the wide side of the defensemen rather than going right into them or cutting through the middle.
From what I saw at the game, Jagr's passing up his shots and looking to pass too much. Also, I know Poti got the GWer, but he's gotta shoot more too.

Old
12-27-2005, 10:27 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brooks
There have been a number of times Renney has seemed to force Weekes into games when the natural order would have suggested Lundqvist get the start.

Interesting; a coach who doesn't necessarily believe in evolution but who last night seemed to support Unintelligent Design.
Today's post

Old
12-27-2005, 10:29 AM
True Blue

The abysmal PP and undisciplined play has continued. Pretty soon the question that will be asked will be is Renney capable of getting his players to play a disciplined game? Is he capable of getting the Jagrs of the world to buy into a theory that has people driving to the net when on the PP, as opposed to simply playing the perimeter overpassing game?

Old
12-27-2005, 10:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The PK didn't bail the team out last night and the result was ugly. Not a good thing.

12-27-2005, 01:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
The PK didn't bail the team out last night and the result was ugly. Not a good thing.
We've said it all year long, when two of the three Rangers nightly keys fail, the results such as last night are to be expected.

Old
12-27-2005, 01:16 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Shoulda played Strudwick, Orr, Lundqvist vs Ottawa. Criticismed self

Old
12-27-2005, 02:47 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Shoulda played Strudwick, Orr, Lundqvist vs Ottawa. Criticismed self
Seriously, how many times are you going to make this point? You've got like 350 posts this month and I think half of them have been saying the same thing. I may be wrong in speaking for everyone, but I think we know how you feel about this subject.

Closed Thread