HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bucci has a good point...

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2005, 12:16 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Bucci has a good point...

Quote:
Remember, we still have a long way to go. Looking at the Sabres' schedule the last month as they've surged up the standings, we see Washington twice, the Penguins three times, beat up Montreal twice, Minnesota, Boston and New Jersey. Now, you have to beat these teams and the Sabres have. But the Sabres still play the Senators five more times, Tampa Bay three times, Philadelphia three times, plus a six-game road trip in January against six good teams. I want the Sabres to make the playoffs and will root for them to do so, but the toughest part of their season has yet to arrive.
Bucci's latest

He has a point. While Buffalo has quality wins over Colorado, Philiadelphia, Dallas,and Montreal (though, they are beat up, are still good) alot of these wins have come from beating up mediocre teams. NJ, NYI, Boston and Minnesota are all outsiders on the playoff picture right now. Should Buffalo be a playoff team this season? Yes. Will they get a top 4 seed. Remains to be seen. Flordia and Tampa back to back are going to be a tough ticket, and personally, I'm happy with 2 points coming out of Flordia. But, I'd take 4 and the all time record for wins on the road as well. Alot of people have been pimping Buffalo as a top 4-5 team in the east. But with 48 games remaining, there's alot of hockey. If Buffalo just goes .500 the rest of the way, that might only be good enough for a 7-8 seed. Guess what? Philly is going to get healthy. Tampa is going to start to play better. Montreal is going to get healthy. Atlanta has the firepower to get on a serious roll. NJ is going to get Elias back. NYI have too much talent to be ignored. Its going to be a dog fight, and Buffalo will have long streaks of up and down before the season is over. And if Briere is out for an extended period of time, Buffalo needs to seriously consider going out and getting another top 6 foward. Not because Poms can't be a top 6 foward, but because Poms doesn't replace Briere or Dumont. Lets strap ourselves in kids, cause this ride is just starting. Lets raise a glass to success and keep our heads level. We've got a goalie controversy to solves, a giant to slay, and a trade deadline to get through. Lets not put our money down on home ice for a playoff series quite yet..

Old
12-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Bucci's latest

He has a point. While Buffalo has quality wins over Colorado, Philiadelphia, Dallas,and Montreal (though, they are beat up, are still good) alot of these wins have come from beating up mediocre teams. NJ, NYI, Boston and Minnesota are all outsiders on the playoff picture right now.
Those teams still have to be beaten.

I don't buy that.

Buffalo, NYR, Montreal, Toronto... all beaten by the Caps.

Montreal, Rangers... beaten by the Pens.

What should have the Sabres done?? It's not their fault their schedule is what it is. They're winning games. Even if a team is weaker than them on paper, they still have to do it.

Most of the other teams, are in fact, NOT doing it. WIth a win in Florida, Buffalo would climb to #1 in the East.

"Easy schedule" or not, 35 games into the season at #1 is not a fluke.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
blueandgold*

The Redwings play in a division with STL, Columbus, and Chicago if anyones victories should be scrutinized, its thiers.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
We've had an easy schedule lately, but before that we had a ridiculously tough schedule...so it all evens out. We deserve this record now.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Olaf Fub

The late January road trip looks tough, especially the week of the Western Canadian guantlet (Edm-Van-Cal.) With that and the break for Turin, the Sabres only have 4 home games between January 15th and March 1st!

In the TB and Philly series, however, 2 of the remaining 3 are at home.

Old
12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
We've had an easy schedule lately, but before that we had a ridiculously tough schedule...so it all evens out. We deserve this record now.
We certainly deserve our record, but the concern is that during the toughest stretch of the season thus far, we dropped 5 of 6. It remains to be seen whether we can compete with some of the elite teams at full strength.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
We certainly deserve our record, but the concern is that during the toughest stretch of the season thus far, we dropped 5 of 6. It remains to be seen whether we can compete with some of the elite teams at full strength.
it also stands to reason then that we've beaten a lot of the so called weaker teams when we were not at full strength

Old
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
it also stands to reason then that we've beaten a lot of the so called weaker teams when we were not at full strength
Affirmative. I deliberately wandered through the Flyers board just to make sure they weren't using injuries as an excuse for the SO loss. The Sabres are dealing with significant injuries just like everybody else.

Old
12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I have a few problems with this. For one, you could argue from an outsider's point of view that the Sabres are "just a weak team riding a hot wave."

It sounds crazy, but why are the Buffalo Sabres, after losing a home and home to them earlier in the year, 'supposed to' beat the Montreal Canadiens? Beat up, yes, but that can be applied to any team in the league.

Second of all, this is the NHL. Every team can win at any given point, obviously, so when you have a 23-10-1 record, you're doing something right.

Old
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Remember that we didn't have Lydman for the 4 game stretch that we lost. I know alot of people here understand his importance to the team, but I think it runs even deeper than that. If you remember, those were also pretty Tallinder's worst games this season, so when Lydman is out we pretty much lose our #1 and #2 dmen. I'm almost positive that if Lydman was in, we'd have gone at least .500 over that stretch. I don't think he'd have helped in the 10-4 game vs. Ott, but he could have helped in the next 3 (3-2 vs MTL x2, 5-3 vs CAR). Then he came back into the lineup and we beat the Leafs 5-2. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think it runs deeper than that.

Old
12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold
The Redwings play in a division with STL, Columbus, and Chicago if anyones victories should be scrutinized, its thiers.
I've been thinking that for a few weeks. Where the Sabres have points taken off for not having any superstar names, Detroit continues to recieve heaps of praise for beating up on the hapless Blackhawks, the stumbling Jackets, and the woeful Blues.

Alas, they have "big names".

Old
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
All I was trying to say is lets not get too cocky halfway through the season. ALOT can still happen.

Old
12-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
All I was trying to say is lets not get too cocky halfway through the season. ALOT can still happen.
Yeah, I think most of us agree on that one.

Old
12-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Jim Boeheim

Quote:
I think many of you saw what happened when we, Bufalo fans, get cocky.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...97#post4220097

I was shocked to see us acting like that.

Old
12-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboehiem
I think many of you saw what happened when we, Bufalo fans, get cocky.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...97#post4220097

I was shocked to see us acting like that.
That's hardly 'us'...

But I hear what you're saying, mdoak.

I beleive preparing for the worst while hoping for the best typifies the Buffalo sports fan.

Old
12-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
That's hardly 'us'...
Funny thing is like 10 of us were saying something completely different but everyone caught on to what blueand gold said and just stuck with it.

Old
12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Sens Rule

As a Sens fan I saw the Sens massively outscore the Sabres in 3 games earlier in the season. But I still saw good things on the Sabres despite the lopsided scores. Miller in the first.t game (though he let in 5 goals), Vanek throughout all the games, and also a hard working and incredibly fast team who did not give up in the games depite being down by 3,4 or even 5 goals. I could see that the Sabres were likely a playoff team or close to it and as good as the Habs or Leafs despite the predictions that they could be a cellar dweller.

I am really looking forward to the next Sens-Sabres game. I am betting it won't be a lop-sided Sens win and that the Sabres will play it much closer than in the previous games and that they might win it. Though I think it will be a 3-3 OT game.

The only team I have seen so far this season as fast as the Sabres is Carolina, and both are a bit faster than my Sens team. I'd rather not face the Sabres in the first round, or second so keep it up and finish 4th in the East.

Old
12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Yeah -- IMO, the reasons that the Sens seem to have our number are:
A) The Sabres seemed a little too awed by the Senators -- hopefully they can get over themselves and the hype by their next meeting
B) The Sabres rely a little bit too much on playing their own style of game. Most teams can't play that game because they tend to be slower. By default, the Senators already play the same game the Sabres do, so their edge in talent eliminates the Sabres normal edge in speed.

The blueprint for the Sabres beating the Sens is completely dependant on the Sabres outworking the Senators. If they are less than confident, or manage not to outwork the Senators, it's game over before it begins.

Old
12-22-2005, 05:05 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Yeah -- IMO, the reasons that the Sens seem to have our number are:
A) The Sabres seemed a little too awed by the Senators -- hopefully they can get over themselves and the hype by their next meeting
B) The Sabres rely a little bit too much on playing their own style of game. Most teams can't play that game because they tend to be slower. By default, the Senators already play the same game the Sabres do, so their edge in talent eliminates the Sabres normal edge in speed.

The blueprint for the Sabres beating the Sens is completely dependant on the Sabres outworking the Senators. If they are less than confident, or manage not to outwork the Senators, it's game over before it begins.

That's the problem. It's a total lack of confidence. I'm not so sure even streaks like this one can help overcome the type of mental psyche that a team of Ottawa's caliber has on us.

If this isn't the start of a dynasty, I'll be surprised.

Old
12-22-2005, 06:14 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
That's the problem. It's a total lack of confidence. I'm not so sure even streaks like this one can help overcome the type of mental psyche that a team of Ottawa's caliber has on us.

If this isn't the start of a dynasty, I'll be surprised.
I don't think you will see a dynasty out of this, they are probably too close to the cap and may lose a couple key players (Chara, Redden are going to be UFA's) and may not have the money (even with a rise in the cap next season) to re-sign them if some of their RFA's are also looking for significant raises (Spezza, Havlat).

Old
12-25-2005, 08:57 AM
eyeisnikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold

In addition, i wish i had the Caps and Pens in my division. In addition, devils are having a tough season... so if theres anyone talking about an easy schedule, we must talk about the Rangers....

Old
12-25-2005, 11:48 AM
lecherous

I think the things that seperates Ottawa from the rest are :

1) No one is a bigger star than the other and they have a very modest attitude.

2) Everyone can pass extremely, extremely well.

3) Their defense moves incredibly quickly and smoothly.

4) Great coaching makes them the most cohesive unit in the NHL

5) They're almost never taken out of 'their' game.

Old
12-25-2005, 11:52 AM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeisnikk
In addition, i wish i had the Caps and Pens in my division. In addition, devils are having a tough season... so if theres anyone talking about an easy schedule, we must talk about the Rangers....
I don't think so...I think Nashville and Detroit definitely have it the easiest. Both will definitely be there by the end of the season, but I think you'll see Vancouver, Calgary, Dallas and maybe even Edmonton or LA pull away once things start to even out.

As much as I hate the Rangers, they have Lundqvist who I think should be in consideration at this point not only for ROY, but for the Vezina also. His stats are almost dead even with Hasek's at this point, and I'd argue that Dom plays behind a much better defense.

Old
12-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Kruschiki

Whether he has a point or not, you start to get the feeling that these guys form an opinion, then look for evidence to support it. It's a safe bet that hockey writers are going to have a "prove it to me" attitude with a team like Buffalo, while they play favorites with the perenial name brand teams. He mentions Tampa and Philly by name as "tough team's" circled on the schedule, but doesn't mention that one is banged up and one has lost 5 of 6. He also neglects to mention that the sabres are the best road team in the NHL (if I'm not mistaken).

Closed Thread