HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idea to make this team work harder..

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 04:03 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Idea to make this team work harder..

Fire Ruff, and hire...

MIKE ROBITAILLE.

This guy is tough as nails. I don't care what kind of coaching experience he's had (if any? I don't know), but he knows the game and I'm sure he could get guys to work hard for him.

Crazy idea, but I think it just might work.

Old
10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
ajsonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Fire Ruff, and hire...

MIKE ROBITAILLE.

This guy is tough as nails. I don't care what kind of coaching experience he's had (if any? I don't know), but he knows the game and I'm sure he could get guys to work hard for him.

If they don't go 500 on the trip, I'm Game. I love Roby.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:06 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Fire Ruff, and hire...

MIKE ROBITAILLE.

I love it. I've actually thought of that as well. Roby wouldn't stand for any lazy crap that these guys like to pull. Plus he talks as if he thinks he knows everything about hockey so we should be shoe-ins for the Cup every year .

Old
10-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
If this season falters, I'd be all for this. But then who would anchor hockey hotline .

Old
10-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Prospect Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_paxon
If this season falters, I'd be all for this. But then who would anchor hockey hotline .

Old
10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

I say we hire someone like Bob Sapp to pick each one of them up individually and shake them like an english nanny.
Maybe he could knock some sense into them to wake them and show up and play every night! I feel like shaking my Tv to death when i see them gliding around like a bunch of fairies.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I thought people have asked Roby this before and he's said he's not really interested. I bet you could twist his arm to become an assistant coach, but I don't think he'd ever come out of the studio to be the head guy.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Quote:
Fire Ruff, and hire...

MIKE ROBITAILLE.

Ruff was a much tougher player than Robitaille. I cringe when I hear Robitaille rip players for being cowards, because he played his entire career that way. I only saw Robitaille get in one fight his entire career and he got the snot kicked out of him by the famous pugilist, Ross Lonsberry. One of Robie's favorite plays was to take a slap shot from center ice into the goalies chest and skate to the bench. He may talk the talk, but he never walked the walked.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:55 PM
buffalowing

Send a message via AIM to buffalowing
yep, i'm gonna say it hire, Ted Nolan and than bring the players who don't even play in the NHL anymore Plante, Dawe, Grosek, Ward and Shannon. Trade for Barnaby, Primeau and Holzinger and you'll have every worthless piece of garbage back on this team, who actually played better hockey than this higher skilled team now.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
I say we hire someone like Bob Sapp to pick each one of them up individually and shake them like an english nanny.
Maybe he could knock some sense into them to wake them and show up and play every night! I feel like shaking my Tv to death when i see them gliding around like a bunch of fairies.
I don't think that would help. It's not that they don't "show up" every night, it's that they're just soft, passive players by their physical nature and mentality. You can scream all you want, but that's not gonna get Campbell to clear out the front of the net...

Old
10-16-2003, 08:19 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
Yeah someone who knows who Bob Sapp is, u would actually have someone that is 100% guaranteed to beat the living $hite out of Laraque on your team. I know I would work myself dead every shift to save myself from his wrath.

Bob Sapp-http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/fighters/...info.asp?id=58
P.S. If it goes down Sapp? or Tyson? who wins?

Old
10-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing
yep, i'm gonna say it hire, Ted Nolan and than bring the players who don't even play in the NHL anymore Plante, Dawe, Grosek, Ward and Shannon. Trade for Barnaby, Primeau and Holzinger and you'll have every worthless piece of garbage back on this team, who actually played better hockey than this higher skilled team now.
Better get Hasek back too :p

Old
10-17-2003, 09:21 PM
buffalowing

Send a message via AIM to buffalowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Better get Hasek back too :p
I knew someone would say that....Hey maybe we were just a below average team with a superstar Goaltender all those years.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:54 AM
bernsy74

Two words....

Donny Lever.

Old
10-18-2003, 03:28 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing
I knew someone would say that....Hey maybe we were just a below average team with a superstar Goaltender all those years.
Take out the word 'maybe' from that sentence.

Old
10-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Take out the word 'maybe' from that sentence.
For sure. We were a below average, maybe average, team with one of the best--if not the best--goaltenders of all time. The main difference between then and now, besides the lack of such a goalie, is that we WERE the "hardest working team in hockey". Now we are one of the softest teams, loaded with potential talent and seemingly no heart.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Roby? Nolan? I does not matter who is behind the bench, the GM has assembled the "talent" that is responsible for the performance. There aren't too many naturally aggressive players on this team and bringing in someone else, be it an established coach, a wanna-be coach, or a never-was isn't going to change that.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
For sure. We were a below average, maybe average, team with one of the best--if not the best--goaltenders of all time. The main difference between then and now, besides the lack of such a goalie, is that we WERE the "hardest working team in hockey". Now we are one of the softest teams, loaded with potential talent and seemingly no heart.

Work involves getting shots on goal and preventing shots on goal. Their version of work, that which was sold to the public and you seemed to have swallowed as rote, involved gloves to the face and more fighting (when the mood struck them). They were aggressive. But they were never that hard working when it came right down to the game. As a marketing scheme, it was brilliant.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Work involves getting shots on goal and preventing shots on goal. Their version of work, that which was sold to the public and you seemed to have swallowed as rote, involved gloves to the face and more fighting (when the mood struck them). They were aggressive. But they were never that hard working when it came right down to the game. As a marketing scheme, it was brilliant.
If you want to pass it off as all PR spin, go ahead. The management saw a reality that other people saw and they made an issue to focus on it as a marketing strategy. If I run a restaurant and a few people tell me my burger is the best thing I offer, I'm going to focus on promoting it. It is fairly bombastic to sit there and say I swallowed something by rote.

A floater can put shots on net; doesn't mean he worked hard. What did I say that implied fighting is working hard? The fact is they were overachievers. You don't overachieve by not working hard.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Tra La La

I would have went along with lever he deserved his chance. but at this point i want a complete divorce from the lindy ruff system.and i'm afraid levers time with ruff probabley corrupted his coaching ability.

as for mister XXXXX there's no way he comes back if reghiere is still here.the question then becomes how close is niel smith to becoming gm and would he hire mister xxxxx.

my choice although i don't think he'd come back either is john van boxmeer. his teams were always successfull and stylistically balanced.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:41 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

what is the fascination with ted nolan
move on people

Old
10-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If you want to pass it off as all PR spin, go ahead. The management saw a reality that other people saw and they made an issue to focus on it as a marketing strategy. If I run a restaurant and a few people tell me my burger is the best thing I offer, I'm going to focus on promoting it. It is fairly bombastic to sit there and say I swallowed something by rote.

A floater can put shots on net; doesn't mean he worked hard. What did I say that implied fighting is working hard? The fact is they were overachievers. You don't overachieve by not working hard.
Did they really overacheive or did they coattail behind Dom? It's amazing that Dom could do what he did with that team in front of him, yet have the coach and some of the toughguys who had that Frost-Danton sort of relationship with each other turn up their noses at the guy who was doing more to keep them in games than they were.

A toughguy can stick his glove in a guys face but ignore when the team's star player gets run; doesn't mean he worked hard.

You didn't imply it, it's the only thing those teams did that set themselves apart---and even then they weren't on par with Dudley's teams, nor when Muckler ran the bench.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
The "hardest working team in hockey" reference to the Sabres was made by Barry Melrose on ESPN. It wasn't an idea spawned by the Sabres marketing department.

I don't think Nolan had enough time to prove whether he's a good or bad NHL coach. I'm sure his intense approach would wear thin after a few years a la Mike Keenan. Nolan used a lot of the "Us vs Them" approach to motivate the team with "Us" being him and the players, and "Them", the management. He can't do that again if he ever hopes to coach in the NHL. He deserves another chance, but not in Buffalo. It would be too much of a circus and the focus wouldn't be on the players. Maybe Paul Maurice will finally get fired and Nolan will get a shot working for his buddy Karmanos.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:58 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Did they really overacheive or did they coattail behind Dom? It's amazing that Dom could do what he did with that team in front of him, yet have the coach and some of the toughguys who had that Frost-Danton sort of relationship with each other turn up their noses at the guy who was doing more to keep them in games than they were.

A toughguy can stick his glove in a guys face but ignore when the team's star player gets run; doesn't mean he worked hard.

You didn't imply it, it's the only thing those teams did that set themselves apart---and even then they weren't on par with Dudley's teams, nor when Muckler ran the bench.
I didn't imply it because I didn't mean it. In my response I flat out said that I don't consider facewashes and chippy glovework hard work.

If you look at the team from that era and all you see is a bunch of rough guys riding Hasek's cottails, then that is what you see. I see a team of overachievers who quite obviously wouldn't have done much without Hasek. Seeing as how neither of us can satisfactorily prove our cases to one another, we simply have a difference of opinion. That's fine, but you neglected to clarify just how you know I naively fell victim to Sabres marketing propaganda. There is a reason I put "hardest working team in hockey" in quotes in my original post.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I didn't imply it because I didn't mean it. In my response I flat out said that I don't consider facewashes and chippy glovework hard work.

If you look at the team from that era and all you see is a bunch of rough guys riding Hasek's cottails, then that is what you see. I see a team of overachievers who quite obviously wouldn't have done much without Hasek. Seeing as how neither of us can satisfactorily prove our cases to one another, we simply have a difference of opinion. That's fine, but you neglected to clarify just how you know I naively fell victim to Sabres marketing propaganda. There is a reason I put "hardest working team in hockey" in quotes in my original post.
Yep, I think we do see the Nolan era through different filters. And I admit that part of it for me is I am so damned sick of hearing about Nolan. But that's just me.

I also think we agree that the team as it currently stands is too damned soft and an element of hard work is missing from too many of them on too many nights.

Closed Thread