HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After game thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 07:07 PM
habsfansam

vCash: 500
Anyone notice that Ryder looks like Mike Keane?? the resemblance struck me...

Nice game by the habs tonight... not the best night, but good to come away with the win when we aren't clicking all game long (something we haven't seen in a while).

As for Saku's return... i'd give him Ward and Sundstrom as linemates until the other two lines become ineffective. It's been a long time since we could leave players on the same line all year, so i'm stoked to see what happens when guys get to play together night-in, night-out.

That leaves us without a tough hitting line, but we are much bigger than we have been (Ryder, Ward, Souray, etc.) so i don't see the problem.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Let's not forget Perreault's hot start, last season. Then, he stunk it up for the remainder of the season... I'd say we move him and hope for the best with Ribeiro.
Perreault doesn't look to be "floating" out there like he did sometimes last season. Plus if you want to play on a Claude Julien team you have to give 110% game in and game out.

I think the "Real" Mike Riberio has entered the building too.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:14 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I have a strong feeling you'll see Ryder playing with Koivu when Koivu gets back.
You see Perreault getting the shaft and losing his wingers Audette and Ryder? Then what Sundstrum and Bulis play with Perreault???

I don't think Julien is going to mix up the lines anything too drastic right now, he would have sat Theo for Garon tonight but didn't want to because he knows he has a good thing going right now. Audette may be with Saku, but not Ryder....not yet.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Harry Kakalovich

i went to see the game tonight. it was a nice game to win, and we definitely won the game even though the pens had more zip than us for most of the first two periods. zednik's goal right at the end of the second was so fantastically de-moralizing to the pens after they really outworked us in the second. souray did well to put down ramzi abid: i hope we hit that guy hard the next time we play them.

ward was really happy to score his goal, and his enthusiasm was really contagious.

all in all we were a little flat. we won the game, but we didn't have the intensity right through out the game, and the pens missed some glorious scoring chances. i hope we play tougher and hit harder against the make-me-laughs on saturday.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
oli500

Im I in Dream land right now? Habs are first in the east

Old
10-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Ryder, Ribeiro, Zednik and Markov had a terrefic game.

Markov have been a beast so far this season, and he is leading the habs in points with Ribeiro 5 pts each. Markov is already a star imo. he defensive play and 1 on 1 are just awsome.. and thats without speaking of his incredible offensive talent.

Markov 4-1-4-5 pts
Ribeiro 4-3-2-5 pts

Old
10-16-2003, 07:43 PM
KnuklZ

We won 4:1 and if you didnt watch the first 2 periods it would seem like a walk in the park. As every post has been positive so far I would like to direct some complaints towards the Perrault line. Ryder played really great again..but the same cannot be said about his 2 line mates. Did any1 else see Perrault caugh up the puck twice in our own zone that led to 2 of the Pens best scoring chances??? All in all I thought that Perrault and Audette stunk up the place tonight playing very poorly in their own end. CJ should teach them how to clear the puck out of the defensive end. The game could have easily been 3:2 after 2 periods for the Pens if they had capitalized on our defensive blunders in the first 2 periods.

Maybe the Habs played so well in the 3rd beacuse Perraults/Audettes ice-time was reduced

Old
10-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Soooooo good to see us win like this.

Most important player for us right now: I'd say Sheldon Souray.

Nobody talks about him much but this guy is sound defensively, is by far our most dominant Dman (let alone player) in the physical aspect of the game and surprise, provides us with offense too, playing every situation, 5 on 5, PK, PP...

He helps our forwards (all of them) feel bigger on the ice and clears the crease night in night out, playing with a nasty mean streak to make sure opposing players think twice about getting close to Theo's net. And to think people wanted to get rid of him for picks not so long ago... :p

Fantastic work from him so far. He gives us, along with Markov, Rivet, Quintal, Brisebois, Hainsey, Komisarek and Bouillon, one of the deepest D corps in the NHL. I'd say we're in the top tier in that regard.

Why go against the flow? We have an excellent D with lots of depth and a solid goaltending duo. The defensive system takes advantage of that while putting less pressure on our forwards who ironically are (for now) producing like crazy even without Saku Koivu.

BTW, we have to give credit where credit is due... Brisebois is playing flawlessly right now. I saw him in pre-season on TV and in person in the opener against Washington at the Bell Center, where I followed him closely all night long, he makes few mistakes defensively (yes!), plays sound offensively and hustles like never before along the corners and in front of the net. Please people, stop with the booing non-sense, I think he's proving so far he wants to make us proud (and I praise his effort so far, he's making me forget how much he's earning ).

Old
10-16-2003, 07:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well I was more impressed with this game then the last two, as I felt the Pens had some energy, but lacked a lot of skill once Mario and Straka were off the ice. Abid seems ok, I like his game. Fata 3rd star, not in the game I saw. His lack of skill shows.

As for the habs, Theodore looked more confident to me. Souray is impressive, he's faster and he must trust his wrist is healed for good. I like him the most on defense this year so far. Brezzy when he keeps it simple seems to be good for him. Hainsey I like a lot, looks much better then last year. I thought he was great in the playoffs, so maybe that gave him a boost. Don't make him think too much in his own end, and he will do well, IMO.

Rivet I can't say I like too much. Koltsov blew by him a couple times, and he doesn't always read the play well. Quintal seems to make the most turnovers, (just a guess) and he's slow. Still if he keeps it simple, he can do ok

Hossa looked better, more drive and confidence. Was skating hard, and had a nice hit early. Man if he ever figures out that he has a ton of skill and learns how to use his size/strength, wow look out!

Ribs even looks better. Faster and very confident with the puck on offense. Even had some good hits.

Ward was fired up tonight. I thought he was all over the place, although not always in a good way. Still I thought he brought a lot of energy tonight. Great to see him get one.

I don't think I'll ever like Audette, no matter what he does. Perreault I still don't care for. Juneau and Dackell are good together, but Juneau was caught too low on the goal. Sundstrom doesn't seem to be all there. Ryder was decent, had a good hit, but I feel bad that he's on that line. Bulis looks darn good on the 3rd line. I'd keep him there. Such speed and skating, it really helps him in the defensive zone.

Zednik and Audette both had a great chance to pass but instead took poor angled shots. I hate to see this.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Ward - Koivu - Audette:
Audette and Saku work well together, Ward and the other two would benefit playing together. Ward would be their mucker and grinder and the other two can do what they do best.

Hossa - Riberio - Zednik:
The best line right now, been good together since the last quarter of last season.

Ryder - Perreault - Bulis:
Ryder and Perreault work great together, so did this line in the pre-season, Bulis needs to be surrouded by more offense too.

Dackell - Juneau - Sundstrum:
Thery worked well together last season, plus they aren't exactly only defensive minded, they can score too.

Begin and Langdon can be inserted into the line up when needed, and Higgins would benefit with more ice time in Hamilton.
I love these lines , now i just want too see Komisarek in the line-up :p

Old
10-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I don't think I'll ever like Audette, no matter what he does.
same here , often he his the last cheker at the blue-line and when he get the puck he dump it in the Pens zone . i know he just did a 3points game VS Wash but like Montreal said ''I don't think I'll ever like Audette, no matter what he does''

Old
10-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Im I in Dream land right now? Habs are first in the east
Right on! Let's end the season right now and go straight to the playoffs.

At 15 goals we're also the highest scoring team in the league.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:58 PM
zednik 20 fan

Yeah, and we are leading the Eastern Conference hahah!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standi...e&seasontype=2

i know the first dozen games doesn't mean much, but this is exactly the opposite what i expect to happen! The youngsters are so much fun to watch!
Ribs, Ryder, Ward, Hossa, Hainsey or even Komi and Higgins can have break out seasons this year! Go habs go!!!

Old
10-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Guy!

You just have to love whenever Mario comes to town, the games just seem to have that much more intensity. This one had the atmosphere of a stretch drive game instead of something in late October. Shame it wasn't a sellout - guess the boobirds have chosen to stay home.

We were lucky to come away with this one, if you want to call it like it is. For the first two periods it was touch and go until the Zedder scored in the final seconds of the second. Had Pittsburgh been able to shoot, we might very easily have been down heading into the third, and one can only wonder if we would have seem the same dominant third had les boys been fighting from behind.

There were a lot more bonehead plays tonight than we've seen the last two games. I wonder if overconfidence because of who we played tonight set in. One way or another, we had a hard time completing three passes in a row until the third.

~~

Notes:

Theo: More and more solid each game. Tonight he made saves that kept us in the match early allowing the rest of his teammates to wake up and take over. A

Hainsey: Another quiet game, which in his case is good. Defensively he's much more aware and offensively he jumps in less often, but usually with better result. B+

Brisebois: Solid game again. His only backhand, behind the back pass was in the opposing zone and was during a powerplay while he had two teammates further back than he was. He's playing a much tougher game now, and it's good to see. B+

Quintal: Think I might give him the name CoughCough until he stops giving up all these juicy pucks in our zone. Almost cost us a couple again and I'm not entirely sure why Komi was sent down. Must be that Komi really wasn't playing as well as we all hoped. At least Quintal used toughness. C+

Souray: I see him as a legitimate #2 or 3 on any team within a month or so. His confidence level is going way up and he's playing with a wonderful mean streak. Clears out the front of the net like no tomorrow as well. A

Rivet: A good game, though he was bailed out by Markov a couple of times. Nice to see him healthy and playing with an edge, but he needs to be more concentrated in his own zone. B

Markov: Anyone else note how this guy keeps his eye on the puck no matter what? He's brilliant at the stick check, wonderful at clearing the puck from a maze of feet, and fantastic intercepting passes. Hand-eye coordination is second to none. A+

Begin: Good start. Little ball of energy that looked comfortable in his first game. B+

Ward: Nice goal. I'm really trying not to harp on his skating but man it's painful. He's a plugger and showed it again tonight, but I don't see him moving up, and in fact see him in the press box when others come healthy. B

Sundstrom: Talk about someone about to lose their spot to a healthy player. He looks weak on the fourth line - like he doesn't belong. If he feels short-changed by his demotion, he has only his work ethic to blame. C-

Juneau: I love it when a defensive player barely gets noticed against the best the other team has to offer. Means he's doing his job. Another stellar defensive effort. A

Dackell: Not his best game, as he had a couple of defensive boo-boos, but nothing that cost, and he certainly hustled to try and make up for them. Works well with Bulis on the cycle. B

Bulis: He's in his element creating against the opponents' best line. All over the place, his speed and anticipation have him creating havoc constantly. A-

Ryder: A quieter game, though that probably has a lot to do with ice time. When you only play 12 or 13 minutes because Mario barely comes off the ice, you do the best you can. He did, and ground his way in corners and out front for three quality shots and a well-deserved assist. A-

Perreault: I'll give him points for saving Quintal's butt once, but his own gaffes were numerous and painful. He didn't have the space like he did last game and it showed. He was swallowed up by faster and stronger players. B-

Audette: Fast, slick, and generally useless. He's a one dimensional player who, admittedly, is trying to buy in defensively. B-

Hossa: Another improvement tonight. He's playing tougher on the puck and smarter away from it. I believe confidence is the word of the day here. B+

Ribeiro: Right places at the right time? Well, that's part of it, but the rest is him working his butt off to get there. He also levelled someone at the blueline. Yes, you read right, levelled. A+

Zednik: He's getting better and better. I'd keep him with Ribby when Koivu comes back and put Ryder and Hossa with the cap'n and see what happens. Perhaps some of the strongest legs in hockey and a centre of balance that's unmatched. Still, he doesn't have to hold on to the puck so long. A-

~~

I'm actually shocked that Garon didn't get the start tonight. He's overdue and we're only looking at wearing out Theo early on if we don't get him in there soon. Do you play Garon Saturday night? Absolutely not, it's an insult to Theo. The team indicated Garon would be getting 20-30 games. They're going to have to get him in there soon if they want to start making a dent in that number.

I was pleased to hear that Koivu is getting anxious to get in the game. Less so when I heard that, despite his saying he's ready and the doc's agreeing with it, he's still having some pain when he skates. Now, I know from experience that even when it's healed it can still hurt, but if it's carrying on, I'd rather he miss a game or two more rather than risk being out for an extremely long time with an aggrevated injury.

Our record is 3-1. Who'd a thunk it? Bring on the Leafs.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:28 PM
ReHABS

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednik 20 fan
Yeah, and we are leading the Eastern Conference hahah!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standi...e&seasontype=2

i know the first dozen games doesn't mean much, but this is exactly the opposite what i expect to happen! The youngsters are so much fun to watch!
Ribs, Ryder, Ward, Hossa, Hainsey or even Komi and Higgins can have break out seasons this year! Go habs go!!!
I agree that the first dozen games don't mean much because all the teams are still getting used to their systems and making adjustments... But, whether we win a game now or a game down that final stretch in March/April leads to the same results. These wins are important, and I'm glad that we're able to capitalize in these first few games. Go Habs!!

Old
10-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I pretty much agree with your evaluation of this game, but just to nitpick a little ( ), I'd say that I would have given a slightly better grade to Ward as he was provinding with sound (and disciplined) defense and physical presence, particularly one hit that leveled a player (before Orpik jumped on him) that got us a PP opportunity. Also, I would maybe give a B instead of the B+ you gave to Begin as I thought his 2 penalities were pretty useless and could have cost us. But of course his nice energy is a welcomed addition and he played sound defensively. He will likely become better now that this "1st game" with the team is behind him. Nice 4th liner that brings grit and defense.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Perreault was a weakness tonight, He did'nt execute simple play well, clearly lack pure skills and hockey sense!

I really liked Ribeiro, Zednik, Ryder...

Hossa and Audette played well too!

Edit: Sundstrom was aweful, this guy looks out of place! Bulis is right where he should be... On the checking line!
Perreault? Lack of skill? Usually people whine him not being physical or any good defensively... but thats news to me. The guy had very little icetime playing being mostly cat and mouse games between Juneau and Lemieux.

He still managed to keep himself even on the equal strength and helped on the powerplay. He was amazing on faceoff going 16-4. Would you argue there is no skill involved, or was he just getting lucky bounces? :p

But Ribeiro was great that much I agree.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Juneau and Dackell are good together, but Juneau was caught too low on the goal.
So Joe had one big mistake in his 20 minutes of covering Lemieux and Straka? Those two are bound to dupe other people aswell later on the season. Can we for give him? No?

Old
10-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReHABS
I agree that the first dozen games don't mean much because all the teams are still getting used to their systems and making adjustments... But, whether we win a game now or a game down that final stretch in March/April leads to the same results. These wins are important, and I'm glad that we're able to capitalize in these first few games. Go Habs!!
I agree. While I don't expect us to be first overall in the nhl at season's end, like we are now:p, the more wins we get now means the less we will need to get in march if we are trying to get a playoff spot nailed down.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:15 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I agree. While I don't expect us to be first overall in the nhl at season's end, like we are now:p, the more wins we get now means the less we will need to get in march if we are trying to get a playoff spot nailed down.
yup, i gotta agree with that

Old
10-17-2003, 04:36 AM
Darz

Imo, the habs looked like they kept it in about second gear for the first two periods (especially the 2nd) and had a really good third. Oh course you won't hear complaints from me when we win by 3 goals, so...

I think all those Claude Julien bashers should start giving him some credit. I'm really starting to believe that head coach should now be considered a strong point of the habs (good choice AS).

Defensively everybody's gotta be happy with the play of Markov. Brisebois has been playing good as well. Souray's a rock out there, and Hainsey seems to have taken the next step, although imo, he still has room for improvement. If we can keep up with the improved D and solid goaltending from Theo, we will be a team to be recken with, especially when Koivu comes back.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Dynasty

[QUOTE=awesome`]We were lucky that the Pens missed a lot of opportunities, however, we came back stronger un the 3rd period, which leads me to believe that the guys saw their mistakes and will come up stronger against the Leafs, which should be a good game to watch, eh

All in all, it's the results that matter, and they are awful good so far. [/QUOTE=awesome`]

I agree with your points....More specifically, we had an awful second period in which we were extremely lucky to come away with a 2-1 lead. But as you indicated it was really good to see them bounce back in the third period...One key point about the game though was our very strong power play performance!

Old
10-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggat_10
i didn't see the game so can someone who did tell me if they thought Lemieux deserved to be 2nd star?

I think he deserved 2nd star, but I would have had Ribeiro for 1st star and Theodore for 3rd star!

Old
10-17-2003, 04:51 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow
Habs didn't play their best game, but played well on the PP.

Special teams will be key this year for the Habs, as we were awful last year in PP and SH situations.

Signs of better coaching:
1. PP and the PK are effective.
2. We are allowing less shots on net than the opponent

Totally agree!!

Old
10-17-2003, 04:57 AM
Bob Bastards

So we have been able to get out of this game with 2 points? Say thank and pray the gods to keep them cause we play an awfull first 2 periods. We have been lucky, too much defensive mistake and too much PP for the Pens. I think the guys get their ass kick between the second and the third cause they play another game in the last period. Better positioning, sound defensivly and great special team. I say we have stoolen 2 point the the Pens.

Line evaluation:

Hossa - Ribs - Zednik

Zednik begin to play like he did the best: getting is nose dirty and score quick goal from the slot. Hossa have to keep this level till the end of the year and he will do great. Ribs did some mistake in the first and second but play a hell of a game in third. He have to stick to Julien game plan or is in trouble. So far so good for those 3.

Ryder - Perrault - Audette

Was ok tonight, not to the level they play agains the Caps. Ryder continue to show great hockey and is a lock if he keep the good work. Audette try is best but is damn awfull in defense. Perrault get is face-off skill back on track and made a great save on Straka in the second.

Bulis - Juneau - Dackel

When your checking line is playing 20 min and conceide only 1 point to Mario and Straka, you can say they have a good night overall. They get the job done big time.

Sunstrom - Begin - Ward

Wow! I did not know Begin was that good in defense. He play on the PK unit and was even at the end of the night. Great pick on the waiver. Ward get is first goal tonight, damn he was happy about it. It always feel good to see that. The guy play is ass of all the night and was solid on the PK again. Will find is way up eventualy. Sunstrom is awfull. Am I the only one who think he will get demoted when Koivu get back?

I stil think our team get abducted by alien and get replace by geneticly altered clone, with gene coming from Bob Gainey, Doug Jarvis and Guy Carboneau. The real team is keep captive on the planet Xantan, by flesh eating monster. I am trying to raise fund to go to this planet and thank them personaly. If you want to make donation please call 1-800-WHO-CARE...

Closed Thread