HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago's Todd Simpson sums up the "NEW NHL" the best!

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Chicago's Todd Simpson sums up the "NEW NHL" the best!

"I have received numerous questions concerning the new rules and new style of play in the NHL. I hope I don't get too worked up about this. I will try to control myself. And I certainly hope I don't get in trouble or fined. Can you get fined for writing a blog??

Before I give you my thoughts and opinions, let me put out a disclaimer: I am extremely biased and not objective at all. This is what I like:

-Touch-up offside
-No redline (much to my own surprise)
-Having to stay on the ice if you ice the puck
-Smaller goaltender equipment
-Goalies not playing the puck in corners
-2 min. penalty for shooting puck over glass in own zone

And what I do NOT like:
-Game misconduct for starting a fight in the last 5 minutes

Now you are probably thinking, "What's the big deal? This is not controversial at all." Well, give me a minute. I even think the new standard of enforcement on hooking and holding is fine. But ONLY between the hash marks. Let us play in the corners and in front of the net! The game has become so soft. There are rarely any good battles anymore, and you cannot punish anyone in front of the net. I've seen guys in front of the net this year that never came there before.

Heart and soul, character and grit, isn't needed anymore. Only talent is required. The NHL is the biggest and best hockey league there is. Why are we trying to make it like the European leagues? At this rate, fighting will be completely out of hockey in five years and the game will resemble ringette."

Now your all probably thinking, well this guy thinks this cause he's a fighter and he sucks. Well, let's be serious, he really is correct in every aspect

Old
12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Need a link to this story.

12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/new...?story_id=3062

Old
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Didn't include the link at first because he has some irrelevant stuff afterwards

Old
12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Didn't include the link at first because he has some irrelevant stuff afterwards

Doesn't matter. You must post a link. Thanks.

Old
12-21-2005, 03:17 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
I dunno, I found the info about hat tricks pretty interesting. Wish he could name names about the cheap guys who don't score the trick but want the hats anyway.

Old
12-21-2005, 03:26 PM
BigE

I only read the quote above, but he's right.

***** sport.

Old
12-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Fletch

He has a great idea...

for marrying what made hockey great (Old Time Hockey) and creating a place for new world hockey (EuroFinesse). No clutching and grabbing, but let the rough stuff in front of the net (save the goalies) and in the corners (why not have a battle) go a bit.

Old
12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2000
I'm not sure why but it seems as though improvements made to the game come at the expense of an existing favourable quality.
Balancing changes to suit both longtime fans and entice new fans appears to be a difficult accomplishment.

Old
12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I'm not sure why but it seems as though improvements made to the game come at the expense of an existing favourable quality.
Balancing changes to suit both longtime fans and entice new fans appears to be a difficult accomplishment.
yeah, that's why i'm willing to give the league three years before i really start to judge it as the "new nhl". you have to see how things play out before you can really see the effect of a new rule. i'm sure there will be tweaks, if not this offseason than the next.

i like the idea of allowing a little more physicality in front of the net and in the corners, so long as the obstruction rules still apply if one player gets the puck and breaks free. winning a battle with physical play only to be hooked and not get a clear benefit from that victory seems to defeat itself to me.

Last edited by Sicilian: 12-21-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: worded the last sentence wrong
Old
12-21-2005, 04:50 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up TBBB -

Theres also a bunch of entries from former Hawk Jason Strudwick here -> http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/new...?story_id=2054

Pretty good stuff.

Old
12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
for marrying what made hockey great (Old Time Hockey) and creating a place for new world hockey (EuroFinesse). No clutching and grabbing, but let the rough stuff in front of the net (save the goalies) and in the corners (why not have a battle) go a bit.
i understand your vision on this, but am reluctant to see the NHL have a bias for body size, which it would most likely lead to. leave that for the nfl and nba. i like it that the number of useless big men (im not talking about enforcers) have declined in numbers or minutes played this year.

little petr prucha, and brian gionta for that matter, would not have the amount of goals they have this season if todd simpson's "rough play areas" were a reality, because they are frequently in front of the net

Old
12-21-2005, 05:42 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
i understand your vision on this, but am reluctant to see the NHL have a bias for body size, which it would most likely lead to. leave that for the nfl and nba. i like it that the number of useless big men (im not talking about enforcers) have declined in numbers or minutes played this year.

little petr prucha, and brian gionta for that matter, would not have the amount of goals they have this season if todd simpson's "rough play areas" were a reality, because they are frequently in front of the net
In other words, hockey should be biased towards the talented players? Character and grit shouldn't matter? You should put to waste toughness and physicality? I always thought that's what made hockey the sport it is

Old
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
In other words, hockey should be biased towards the talented players? Character and grit shouldn't matter? You should put to waste toughness and physicality? I always thought that's what made hockey the sport it is

Do you listen to yourself talk? Yes hockey should be biased towards the skilled players. Who do you think puts butts in the seats... Colton Orr or Jaromir Jagr? If you want a game full of talentless hard working players go watch the English league. Skilled forwards can be gritty as well, Bertuzzi, Gagne, Jagr, Forsberg.... you can sit here all day and name players.

You also say physicality is dead... did you watch the Sabres v Flyers the other day, two fights in the first and another one later on... doesn't seem like physicality is lacking to me.

And further, the marriage he speaks of is total junk. If players are allowed to clutch and grab, etc in the zones where players SCORE... how does that keep scoring up? It doesn't...

Old
12-21-2005, 06:07 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Do you listen to yourself talk? Yes hockey should be biased towards the skilled players. Who do you think puts butts in the seats... Colton Orr or Jaromir Jagr? If you want a game full of talentless hard working players go watch the English league. Skilled forwards can be gritty as well, Bertuzzi, Gagne, Jagr, Forsberg.... you can sit here all day and name players.

You also say physicality is dead... did you watch the Sabres v Flyers the other day, two fights in the first and another one later on... doesn't seem like physicality is lacking to me.

And further, the marriage he speaks of is total junk. If players are allowed to clutch and grab, etc in the zones where players SCORE... how does that keep scoring up? It doesn't...
Hockey shouldn't be biased at all. The Colton Orr's of the world should be able to play and contribue just as much as the Jagr's. That's how it was back then. Let guys go out there, play tough, and stop calling wack penalties

Old
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Hockey shouldn't be biased at all. The Colton Orr's of the world should be able to play and contribue just as much as the Jagr's. That's how it was back then. Let guys go out there, play tough, and stop calling wack penalties
The object of the game is to score more goals than the other team.

Old
12-21-2005, 06:21 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Seems like you have an issue with officiating more than skilled play. Sure some of the penalties are "wack" as you say, but the players should know better than to break the rules. Blame the vets for being slow to adjust, or just plain stubborn. Look at our teams PIM. You'll see most of the problems stem from vets.

Just the top few...

MICHAEL NYLANDER 42
DARIUS KASPARAITIS 42
MICHAL ROZSIVAL 42
MAREK MALIK 38
VILLE NIEMINEN 33

All vets... Rucchin has 6 penalty minutes... what are these guys problems... also Rucinsky in 20 games has 28 pim....

Old
12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Things are a lot different than they were "back then".

There's this little thing called "money". Over history it has become more and more important and now everything pretty much revolved around it. The idea is to get as much of it as you can. If that means changing the rules to suit talented players and kicking Colton Orr out of hockey, than that's what's going to happen.

Old
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Bottom line doesn't involve Orr. The NHL should cut down on all the penalty calls, and should let players battle in the corners AND ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF THE NET.

Old
12-21-2005, 11:21 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
i wish i could word it right...
Bottom line is the game has changed - some are gonna prefer the 80s/early90s style - grit matters...others are gonna prefer the NBA-like style of the NEW nhl.

Neither is BETTER as far as the true sense of the game...i think the grittyness holds to the traditional game...but maybe the NEW NHL holds tighter to what PURE skill hockey is...

Old
12-22-2005, 01:52 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
outstanding point about only enforcing the hooking and holding to the extent it's been called between the hashes. and the last 5 min rule is just ridiculous. i think everyone knows that besides gary.

Old
12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
polako

Quote:
let me clarify, i'm not saying i want the grit element out of the game. what i don't want is nhl teams filled with big, skill-deprived players for crease-clearing, board battles, etc. the dan mcgillises of the world.

i used prucha and gionta as examples because they are small, skilled guys who most certainly have grit and character to their games. they are benefitting greatly from the new rules, especially in front of the net. its no longer only the john leclair-types scoring on deflections and rebounds.

Old
12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Fletch

Polako...

let me say it in a different way...I'm not looking for useless players to don the ice. That's not what I'm saying. But, I don't have a problem with it being a bit more difficult to sit in front of the opposition's net. I don't have a problem with it being a little more rough along the boards in the defensive zone. I do have a problem with clutching and grabing around the ice, and have had a problem with that for many years. As you get in close, there's no reason why we can't see some battles and real hockey. Skill guys will still get to show off their skills. They'll be able to use their speed to get through the zones. But if they want to sit in front of the net and try and deflect pucks, it should be tough. If they want to move the puck behind the net, it should be tough. I agree with what Simpson's requesting. It doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Old
12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Why has the conversation stumbled into an all or nothing scenary.

Why can't the sport have talent and toughness? Skill and soul?

The way I see it, both depend on another. You can't have a league of talented robots lacking passion and be successful and you can't have a goon league and be successful.

Their co-dependent and that's what helped hockey last for so long. I like some things about the new NHL, but some of it is just too much.

Old
12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
let me say it in a different way...I'm not looking for useless players to don the ice. That's not what I'm saying. But, I don't have a problem with it being a bit more difficult to sit in front of the opposition's net. I don't have a problem with it being a little more rough along the boards in the defensive zone. I do have a problem with clutching and grabing around the ice, and have had a problem with that for many years. As you get in close, there's no reason why we can't see some battles and real hockey. Skill guys will still get to show off their skills. They'll be able to use their speed to get through the zones. But if they want to sit in front of the net and try and deflect pucks, it should be tough. If they want to move the puck behind the net, it should be tough. I agree with what Simpson's requesting. It doesn't seem too unreasonable.
fletch, point taken. physicality should always remain a part of the game. My concern is that, with its return, hockey has an opportunity to change the way its perceived. Where it was increasingly becoming a sport for big and aggressive players, the overall skill level was suffering. That's why i become a little hesitant with penalty leniency, thinking it caters to those players. "new" nhl is showing what an impact small, skilled and hard-nosed players can make...players that i think can help the sport of hockey grow in the US by exhibiting that people of all sizes can compete.

Closed Thread