HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvescak 16/17: FINAL SALE NOW EVERYTHING MUST GO ENDS AT MIDNIGHT

Old
03-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Dueling Banjos

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabidjan18 View Post
Haha yeah I understand. Elite prospects is a great tool and guide for following hockey, you can get pretty far just using it. I assume in Slovenia there's some support for Ljubljana and Jesenice. It's interesting how little rivalry or animosity there is between the Austrian fans and Slovenian fans. You'd think because of how often they play, geography and sharing a league that there might be more but no Austrian fans consider Germany their rival. They even go so far as to want Jesenice to get admitted to the EBEL.
Our hockey is in a ****hole atm (ignore our national team, that's a product of different times). Jesenice went bankrupt, they are slowly making their way back to ebel, small steps but correct path, hopefully crowd will return (not only for Olimpija games), because 400-600 is way low but yeah that number will pick up if they join EBEL.

Olimpija is cannon food for last 3 years, salaries are late and lousy, few foreigners get paid but usually leave somewhere around mid season. Club became transition home for foreign players who need to prove themselves, need points to show and move on. Young guns simply don't see the future anymore. I feel bad for the boys, their salaries are low already, not to mention they're late (sometimes they never arrive), i honestly don't know how some of them survive and still leave everything on the ice. If anyone becomes decent enough, he ll leave. Complex situation and poor economy above all. I honestly don't know what their plan is, another season as previous ones? Or fold and that pretty much means it's over with hockey in Ljubljana, for a loooong period of time.

Ebel refs are something else indeed.

I am getting offtopic here again but let's say it concerns Medvescak's rivals in case EBEL happens.

Dueling Banjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2016, 10:02 AM
kabidjan18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos View Post
Our hockey is in a ****hole atm (ignore our national team, that's a product of different times). Jesenice went bankrupt, they are slowly making their way back to ebel, small steps but correct path, hopefully crowd will return (not only for Olimpija games), because 400-600 is way low but yeah that number will pick up if they join EBEL.

Olimpija is cannon food for last 3 years, salaries are late and lousy, few foreigners get paid but usually leave somewhere around mid season. Club became transition home for foreign players who need to prove themselves, need points to show and move on. Young guns simply don't see the future anymore. I feel bad for the boys, their salaries are low already, not to mention they're late (sometimes they never arrive), i honestly don't know how some of them survive and still leave everything on the ice. If anyone becomes decent enough, he ll leave. Complex situation and poor economy above all. I honestly don't know what their plan is, another season as previous ones? Or fold and that pretty much means it's over with hockey in Ljubljana, for a loooong period of time.

Ebel refs are something else indeed.

I am getting offtopic here again but let's say it concerns Medvescak's rivals in case EBEL happens.
Yeah I noticed, I thought Olympija was just opting to go all home-grown which I admire. The national team was really the product of one really good generation from roughly 88-90. I have been wondering why it doesn't seem any talent is coming out of Slovenia, of course Simsic is a kid with a future but other than him it hasn't seemed optimal. If Medvescak returned they wouldn't have to pay their players (nearly as much) and they could rejuvenate the fanbase of course. At the end of the day Slovenia will still produce better than Hungary haha

kabidjan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Dueling Banjos

vCash: 250
Quote:
Yeah I noticed, I thought Olympija was just opting to go all home-grown which I admire. The national team was really the product of one really good generation from roughly 88-90. I have been wondering why it doesn't seem any talent is coming out of Slovenia, of course Simsic is a kid with a future but other than him it hasn't seemed optimal. If Medvescak returned they wouldn't have to pay their players (nearly as much) and they could rejuvenate the fanbase of course. At the end of the day Slovenia will still produce better than Hungary haha
Even though it's seem sci-fi presently, it might change in the future, they're investing in hockey, built few new arenas. Their MOL league pays salaries (few Slovenians play there, plenty foreigners as well), they are at the top or near in ebysl but yeah they're still far for now.

Dueling Banjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2016, 05:40 PM
kabidjan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos View Post
Even though it's seem sci-fi presently, it might change in the future, they're investing in hockey, built few new arenas. Their MOL league pays salaries (few Slovenians play there, plenty foreigners as well), they are at the top or near in ebysl but yeah they're still far for now.
The part about the MOL league is true and the rinks, maybe there could be like a Medvescak II in the MOL league, those exports are usually low level ECHL players. Their EBYSL teams win because they are on average a year or even a year and a half older than the younger Austrian teams which is the problem because none of them would be considered prospects, too old. If Slovenia does not change their trajectory they'll get there someday, some day pretty long in the future.

I think the Medvescak-Olimpija rivalry would be really good if Medvescak came back. Medvescak would shed a lot of their imports with the new player budget and it'd be more even.

Old
03-08-2016, 04:31 AM
HungryFrank

Medveščak II (if it were a selection of best croatian players) could compete in MOL. They could win half of their matches (earning respectable position at the end) in that league. Croatian guys are underestimated, especially guys which aren't "minors hockey legends".
It will be interesting to see what will happen concerning EBEL-2, future of MOL and so on. Don't believe that EBEL-2 will be any stronger competition than INL so doubt that Medveščak will be able to use it as KHL farm, MOL would be somewhat closer, but still not really.
I'm still having a feeling that Medveščak is being managed more like a show, not like a sports team.

HungryFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2016, 04:46 AM
hansomreiste

Still nothing about Medvescak's upcoming season? I mean, KHL or EBEL...

hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2016, 07:08 AM
mitch mdv zg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
Nothing yet.

mitch mdv zg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2016, 09:38 AM
kabidjan18

Quote:
EBEL announced they're giving them until 3/10

Old
03-08-2016, 11:25 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
EBEL announced they're giving them until 3/10
At the moment, which/what is more likely? Do Medvescak as an organization themselves want to play in EBEL? What do they think plus and minus are? On the other hand, what's the stance of EBEL and KHL on this one? Is there any kind of "This team is mine!" war or "Please get that thing off me, I'll pay you extra" or maybe just something between these? Would love to hear from anyone who has info on this, if there's any.

Old
03-09-2016, 01:47 AM
bishonen91

Quote:
At the moment, which/what is more likely?
No one knows. I think EBEL is likely now. But who knows....

Quote:
Do Medvescak as an organization themselves want to play in EBEL?
I believe that management and front office wants to make as much money as possible. This may or may not correlate with the goals of the club and is just my opinion. Ergo, EBEL won't make them as much money as KHL.

Quote:
What do they think plus and minus are? On the other hand, what's the stance of EBEL and KHL on this one? Is there any kind of "This team is mine!" war or "Please get that thing off me, I'll pay you extra" or maybe just something between these? Would love to hear from anyone who has info on this, if there's any.
See above.

Stance of the leagues? EBEL noted that Medvescak is welcome to return. KHL wont say **** because russians and their "**** you stance". Unless russians pump money into the club it can't function.

bishonen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 01:28 PM
hansomreiste

If I am not mistaken, Medvescak U20 played against EBEL Young Stars team (or organization?) today... This means anything significant? Was this the case in previous seasons while they played in KHL as well? The deadline was today.

Old
03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
kabidjan18

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, Medvescak U20 played against EBEL Young Stars team (or organization?) today... This means anything significant? Was this the case in previous seasons while they played in KHL as well? The deadline was today.
Medvescak's U20 has been playing in the EBYSL the entire season it doesn't really correlate. I believe last season when the MHL cut many teams they were one team that got cut, along with the Salzburg MHL team, but they may have never had one. An unreliable but nevertheless existent source claims that Medvescak was planning to go KHL or bust, so the fact that we haven't heard anything doesn't surprise me. I expect them to miss the deadline on purpose, but I hope otherwise.

Old
03-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Vanjito

Quote:
Medvescak's U20 has been playing in the EBYSL the entire season it doesn't really correlate. I believe last season when the MHL cut many teams they were one team that got cut, along with the Salzburg MHL team, but they may have never had one. An unreliable but nevertheless existent source claims that Medvescak was planning to go KHL or bust, so the fact that we haven't heard anything doesn't surprise me. I expect them to miss the deadline on purpose, but I hope otherwise.
medvescak u20 has been playing in young ebel from the very start of that leauge, so from season 2012/13. they never played mhl.

it makes sense to go khl or bust since there are no sponsors willing to give money to medvescak as the region is not interesting for croatian companies. mind you, there are not a lot of them that have money to use on sponsorship deals in the state our economy is. that was one of the reasons medvescak moved to khl. going back to ebel would likely mean sharing olimpija's fate.

on the other hand, russian ambassador to croatia said that gazprom and rosneft want to come to croatia this year, and that hopefully means gazprom will stay as a sponsor.

but we'll just have to wait and see...

Vanjito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2016, 12:24 AM
HungryFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanjito View Post
going back to ebel would likely mean sharing olimpija's fate.
no way, Medveščak has a lot more supporters than Olimpija. Medveščak in EBEL played with NA-players-only model which, obviously, wasn't financially sustainable. Nowadays, Medveščak in EBEL would be just fine. They can have 750k € out of attendance only... Maybe I'm wrong, but you have to agree that overall team payroll was too high.
Of course, if they continued with their bs how homegrown players are too bad for a league like EBEL, but yet they bring some expensive players which are even worse... yeah, then they will share Olimpija's fate.

Anyway, it's obvious that they are staying in KHL, which sure is even more unsustainable and thing that I don't get, how do they count on maintaining their fan support? Team is bad and all the players leave midseason, Krošelj is their first goalie, every single loveable player left (Vesce, Linglet) or didn't get payed (Murray)... how do you put up with this?
they like the fame and like the money, but they maybe are flying too close to the Sun?

HungryFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2016, 08:12 PM
zamo86*

Medveščak has been in EBEL for four successive years and are heading into their fourth KHL year. So apart from a number of naturalised players and Borna Rendulić becoming the first Croatian born player to play in the NHL (but that would likely happen regardless of Medveščak wouldnt it?) what has been the overall benefits for Croatian hockey during this time? Croatia national team seems to be on the same level. Are there more players (kids) playing the sport? Has the number of registered players increased? Were any ice hockey venues built?

zamo86* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2016, 08:29 PM
SoundAndFury

Well men's national is on the whole other level but that's due to the players naturalized during the EBEL years, mostly.

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2016, 09:13 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamo86 View Post
Medveščak has been in EBEL for four successive years and are heading into their fourth KHL year. So apart from a number of naturalised players and Borna Rendulić becoming the first Croatian born player to play in the NHL (but that would likely happen regardless of Medveščak wouldnt it?) what has been the overall benefits for Croatian hockey during this time? Croatia national team seems to be on the same level. Are there more players (kids) playing the sport? Has the number of registered players increased? Were any ice hockey venues built?
What was the success for Croatian hockey when Medvescak played for EBEL? Not asking this to bash you, really wondering. After discussions in this thread, I am convinced it may be the best things for Croatian fans to have their team back in EBEL, yet I do not understand this "What does being in KHL bring to us?" attitude. You are a part of the second best hockey league in the world. The rest is up to you. Russia won't take your hand and help you build facilities. Blame the federation or "big guys" in Croatia for not doing enough.

Old
03-14-2016, 09:51 PM
kabidjan18

Quote:
What was the success for Croatian hockey when Medvescak played for EBEL? Not asking this to bash you, really wondering. After discussions in this thread, I am convinced it may be the best things for Croatian fans to have their team back in EBEL, yet I do not understand this "What does being in KHL bring to us?" attitude. You are a part of the second best hockey league in the world. The rest is up to you. Russia won't take your hand and help you build facilities. Blame the federation or "big guys" in Croatia for not doing enough.
You've said this many times without explaining WHY being in the second highest league is beneficial. What it should help, interest in the sport, well obviously if you haven't been reading that hasn't happened. What it should help, more money into hockey, and again if you've been paying attention Medvescak is in all sorts of debt. What should it help, brand recognition, well it surely hasn't because foreigners aren't attracted to medvescak either, they flock to slovan. You keep saying second highest league second highest league, you never give a reason WHY that's a good thing. The things that we would naturally assume would be benefits, I listed above how they've not worked out how they should, so now you tell me indefensibly another reason that I didn't already list and debunk, and I won't reply I'll let the Croatians themselves reflect on if that has been a benefit or not.

Old
03-15-2016, 02:00 AM
bishonen91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamo86 View Post
What has been the overall benefits for Croatian hockey during this time? Croatia national team seems to be on the same level. Are there more players (kids) playing the sport? Has the number of registered players increased? Were any ice hockey venues built?
1. EBYSL team reached finals. I think they'd reach anyways as KHL had no effect on them. EBEL was there when they were too young (avg 19.5 years old).

2. There are a bit more kids playing on the spot with the same ice time as 7 years ago.

3. No.

4. No. Well, delnice got locker rooms in storage containers and showers. But no.

Old
03-15-2016, 02:04 AM
bishonen91

Quote:
What was the success for Croatian hockey when Medvescak played for EBEL?
None basically. Except having full arenas and being 12th in Europe in att.

Quote:
You are a part of the second best hockey league in the world. The rest is up to you. Russia won't take your hand and help you build facilities. Blame the federation or "big guys" in Croatia for not doing enough.
No one cares about Russia. Seriously. These 2k fans and 1k of random hockey fans that get into hall, well, they'd come anyways for a good game.

Federation = president is/was vice president of Medvescak. Blame who?

Old
03-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Vanjito

it is not true that no one cares about khl. ebel people are just louder. there is not a single person I know that wishes for a return to ebel. so to say all fans want ebel is, well...

there are less people in the stands now, that is sadly true. the honeymoon part of hockey is over, and it would be over had we never left ebel. back then there were a lot of people there just by inertion. but attendance is not just hockey's problem. going to sporting events is slowly dying out in zagreb.

new rinks must be built, not only for hockey. a few of my student are synchronised skaters. they train in worse ice times than young hockey players. but our mayor keeps on building fountains exclusively. (how much money has gone to funding a fis slalom race in zagreb, and yet a ski lift was never built)

in my opinion, going back to ebel would be (as the word itself says) a step back. sometimes you need to take a step back to go further forward, but that's not the case here. if we go back now, we'll never get to khl level of hockey again. there are problems, lets work hard and sort them out. for example, we all want more domestic players so let's do everything we can to start producing them instead of lowering the bar.

Vanjito is offline   Reply With Quote