HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gaborik Contract Update

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
MVP

vCash: 500
Gaborik Contract Update

During the first intermission between the Detriot Vs Canucks game, Nick Kypreos has mentioned that the contract status of Gaborik has changed. Apparently that after Gaborik changed his agent, they have been asking for around 10 millions over 3 years, which is very close to the around 9 millions 3 years deal that the Wild had offered. So it looks like that they will be able to reach an agreement soon within this couple weeks.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
During the first intermission between the Detriot Vs Canucks game, Nick Kypreos has mentioned that the contract status of Gaborik has changed. Apparently that after Gaborik changed his agent, they have been asking for around 10 millions over 3 years, which is very close to the around 9 millions 3 years deal that the Wild had offered. So it looks like that they will be able to reach an agreement soon within this couple weeks.
If the WIld want to make the playoffs this season, Doug Riesbourough should offer him the 3 yr/10 mil deal. This is a very good deal for the Wild financially. ...I think Gaborik will get around 3.5-4 mil in his contract on average

Old
10-16-2003, 06:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
If the WIld want to make the playoffs this season, Doug Riesbourough should offer him the 3 yr/10 mil deal. This is a very good deal for the Wild financially. ...I think Gaborik will get around 3.5-4 mil in his contract on average

He is not going to get 4 millions $ now, since he is not even asking for that. He is asking for around 10 millions for 3 years well at less according to Nick Kypreos.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:21 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
He is not going to get 4 millions $ now, since he is not even asking for that. He is asking for around 10 millions for 3 years well at less according to Nick Kypreos.
Bob MacKenzie is the most reliable hockey insider....when I hear it from him I will believe it for sure....Kyper does not have nowhere near the credibility of Bob Mac. 3.5 on average for Gaborik is a great deal for the Wild in my mind

Old
10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Bob MacKenzie is the most reliable hockey insider....when I hear it from him I will believe it for sure....Kyper does not have nowhere near the credibility of Bob Mac. 3.5 on average for Gaborik is a great deal for the Wild in my mind

That is true, i can agree with that.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:31 PM
FroNatic24

vCash:
3.33 million per year for Gaborik is a steal, I hope the Wild sign him and REALLY begin the season, and entertain their fans.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
That is true, i can agree with that.
Sup son

Old
10-16-2003, 06:41 PM
IGM

He only switched with agent in the same firm he wants to rep him. Not it is Stitch instead of Walsh. However it works I think that Gabs is worth $3 per year as long as their are incentives to help him make the other $1mill that he is worth on the free market.

If Cujo is worth $8+mill then Gabs is worth $12mill at least!

(thank god for the new CBA!)

Old
10-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

While I think Gaborik is well worth the money, I hate saying players sign such rich contracts at such a young age. They probably want the contract to be heavy on the final year, around 4 mil with 3 mil the previous two years. Then a qualifying offer for Gabby at only 24, is 4.4 million. You know he will want more money then as well........Its an unending cycle. This is why the qualifying offer was thrown in place. Its a shame that the system doesn't work ;/.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

During the FSN telecast of the Wild/Avs game, Clay Matvick said that there were a number of rumors making their way around the XCEL...One was that Gaborik is in the St. Paul area, or at least, in Minny. One was that his equipment has been shipped to the rink. And one was that he was about to sign. Of course, Risebrough's only statement was "No Comment"

Old
10-16-2003, 10:49 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Its a shame that the system doesn't work ;/.
That should read: It's a shame teams dont use the system properly.

I'd offer gaborik 10mil, but over 4 years. That's Lecavalier & Hossa money. He doesnt deserve much more

Old
10-16-2003, 11:08 PM
wazee

The Avs radio broadcasters picked up on the rumors of progress in the Gaborik negotiations. They said the Wild would increase their offer a little, and Gaborik was going to lower his demands. And most of the give would be from the Gaborik side.

They also reported that, according to a Slovakian radio station, Gaborik was on his way to Minnesota.

According to the Avs announcers, there was a lot of buzz about it in the Twin Cities…

Old
10-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Since this negiotiation turned ugly, Minnesota will have to pay more than they wanted/planned if Gaborik is to play. So talking about what he is worth at this stage is irrelevant since it's more about what he is willing to play for.

I do hope he is able to sign and it is not too brutal for the Wild. They need him bad. He is their star. He makes the fans enjoy the game more and that is worth a lot in the early stages of a franchise.

Old
10-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
That should read: It's a shame teams dont use the system properly.

I'd offer gaborik 10mil, but over 4 years. That's Lecavalier & Hossa money. He doesnt deserve much more
Minnesota tried, and Gaborik asked for 6.5 mil a year......The average fan does not understand what is going on. They only see that their star is not signed.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:29 AM
GaborikRules10!!!

Yes he is the Twin Cities now. Clay Matvick said that the rumor was that his equipment was coming to the Xcel today and when he asked Riesbrough about it Doug said "No Comment" but I guess they said he had a big smile on his face. I hope this is it!!!

Old
10-17-2003, 07:36 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Then a qualifying offer for Gabby at only 24, is 4.4 million. You know he will want more money then as well........Its an unending cycle. This is why the qualifying offer was thrown in place. Its a shame that the system doesn't work ;/.
well the system doesn't exactly work like that.

a qualifying offer only has a mandatory 10% increase if the previous salary was under the league's average... the league's average last year was $1.8 mill, so any player making more than $1.8 mill would only have to be qualified at those $$, not a 10% increase.... so in Gaborik's case if he's making $4mill, then his qualifying offer is $4mill, not $4.4.

mind you this is the current CBA which will no longer be in effect under this scenario, where Gaborik's last year of his contract is 3 years from now.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:45 AM
MVP

Another update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1639727

Old
10-17-2003, 12:11 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote: