HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Discussion: Penalty Shots To Decide A Tie?

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 06:53 PM
FroNatic24

vCash:
Discussion: Penalty Shots To Decide A Tie?

Would you be in favor of having penalty shots at the end of a 5 minute 4 on 4 OT period if neither team scored in OT?

This would only apply in the Reg. Season and not effect the current Playoff format...

Why or why not?

I'll hold my opninion for now.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:58 PM
flyrfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
No, I don't think there should be penalty shots to win a game, because teams like the Penguins and Hurricanes would have the disadvantage against teams like Colorado and Ottawa who have more talented players.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I can't decide. I was against it, but now I'm neutral. I could live with either

Old
10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
MileHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrfan
No, I don't think there should be penalty shots to win a game, because teams like the Penguins and Hurricanes would have the disadvantage against teams like Colorado and Ottawa who have more talented players.
Isn't that the point of any competition? That the best team wins and we should stop hadicapping teams that don't have as much talent. Were the league will force teams to employ the trap and everyone will turn into a 0-0 or 1-1 tie?

Old
10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Why not? They already arbitrarily made overtime 4 on 4..

Old
10-16-2003, 07:03 PM
c-carp

100% against it, I already dont like the 4on 4 dont make the game anymore of a hybrid than it is.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:04 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Why not? They already arbitrarily made overtime 4 on 4..
Letting them do another arbitrary thing would be bad then wouldnt it?

Old
10-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I'm also against it. I don't think it should come down to Penalty shots.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Both teams still get a point do they not???

Old
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer
Isn't that the point of any competition? That the best team wins and we should stop hadicapping teams that don't have as much talent. Were the league will force teams to employ the trap and everyone will turn into a 0-0 or 1-1 tie?
If a team like the Penguins worked hard to get the game to go to OT, it's not right that a team like Colorado wins just because they have better scorers on their team.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Douggy

They should just have continuous sudden death overtime. I know people will say the games will go on for too long, but all they really have to do is take all back-to-back games out of the schedule, or just suck it up like they do in baseball.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Letting them do another arbitrary thing would be bad then wouldnt it?
Yup, but if they decide for entertainment over integrity of the game, why not make it more entertaining? I'd actually rather just see 5-on-5 overtime frankly. Maybe 10 minutes 5-on-5.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
FroNatic24

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Both teams still get a point do they not???
Yes, loser gets 1pt, winner gets 2pts.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I'd think that a shootout would be cool. I think it would work very well, especially if people still got the point like in an OTL. If you weren't getting a point anyway, it might be different but if you are, then go for it and make it exciting.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
No. In fact I'm all for getting rid of OT during the regular season all together. It's the best of hockey, save it for the playoffs.

10-16-2003, 07:21 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Yup, but if they decide for entertainment over integrity of the game, why not make it more entertaining? I'd actually rather just see 5-on-5 overtime frankly. Maybe 10 minutes 5-on-5.
I think a lot of these things they have tried for Entertainment to get so called new fans backfire and piss off diehards.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
There is nothing worse than paying to see a tie

Old
10-16-2003, 07:22 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
No. In fact I'm all for getting rid of OT during the regular season all together. It's the best of hockey, save it for the playoffs.
I like that better than the 4 on 4.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
If a team like the Penguins worked hard to get the game to go to OT, it's not right that a team like Colorado wins just because they have better scorers on their team.
Pittsburgh has a goaltending advantage though in that situation. Besides, it is one way to kill clutching and grabbing. It'll force teams to at least put out a roster that is reasonably talented.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Please, no.

Please stop ruining this great game!

Believe it or not, once there was a time, not so long ago, when there was no OT at all during the regular season. Physical play (not to be confused with dirty play) was accepted as an integral part of the game, and two guys dropping their gloves was preferred over guys taking their sticks high to each other's head. Player didn't dive ad neaseum to get calls (with the exception of Bill Barber ). Goalies wore pads, not stuffing and sticks were made of wood, only.

To be fair, the game at that time, lacked any substantive network TV contract in the US, and was a distant fourth among the major pro team sports.

Fast forward 20-25 years. Much "progress" has been made to "improve" the game : OT during the regular season, then an "advanced" form of OT, whereby you can give up a goal and lose...yet not really lose and still be rewarded with a point! Hitting has increasingly been phased out of the game, with penalties now often called (in this fan's view) based on the force of the impact, rather than the legality of the check. Defending one's teammate is discouraged by a silly instigator rule, that has reduced fisticuffs to essentially staged bouts between each team's designated, token goon and taken much spontaneity out of the game. As a by-product, the unwritten law about not using the stick up high on an opponent has disappeared.

And the result?

The NHL still makes barely anything in TV revenue (relative to other major sports), it's popularity in the US has clearly been surpassed by college football and basketball, as well as NASCAR, and - unlike 20 years ago - arena capacity leaguewide is not in the high 90s, percentage-wise, anymore.

Progress.

Now you want to have the NHL equivalent of the slamdunk or homerun derby (accentuating individual over team) added to the mix?

No thanks. Keep shootouts for the Olympics, beer leagues and Pee Wees.

The sport has been damaged enough.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:59 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Please, no.

Please stop ruining this great game!

Believe it or not, once there was a time, not so long ago, when there was no OT at all during the regular season. Physical play (not to be confused with dirty play) was accepted as an integral part of the game, and two guys dropping their gloves was preferred over guys taking their sticks high to each other's head. Player didn't dive ad neaseum to get calls (with the exception of Bill Barber ). Goalies wore pads, not stuffing and sticks were made of wood, only.

To be fair, the game at that time, lacked any substantive network TV contract in the US, and was a distant fourth among the major pro team sports.

Fast forward 20-25 years. Much "progress" has been made to "improve" the game : OT during the regular season, then an "advanced" form of OT, whereby you can give up a goal and lose...yet not really lose and still be rewarded with a point! Hitting has increasingly been phased out of the game, with penalties now often called (in this fan's view) based on the force of the impact, rather than the legality of the check. Defending one's teammate is discouraged by a silly instigator rule, that has reduced fisticuffs to essentially staged bouts between each team's designated, token goon and taken much spontaneity out of the game. As a by-product, the unwritten law about using the stick up high on an opponent has disappeared.

And the result?

The NHL still makes barely anything in TV revenue (relative to other major sports), it's popularity in the US has clearly been surpassed by college football and basketball, as well as NASCAR, and - unlike 20 years ago - arena capacity leaguewide is not in the high 90s, percentage-wise, anymore.

Progress.

Now you want to have the NHL equivalent of the slamdunk or homerun derby (accentuating individual over team) added to the mix?

No thanks. Keep shootouts for the Olympics, beer leagues and Pee Wees.

The sport has been damaged enough.
If they had a HOF for posts here that would be a nominee. Well said Trottier.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:01 AM
BCCHL inactive

no

Old
10-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer
The other side of that coin is that if the supposedly better team hasn't managed to win in 65 minutes of game, they don't deserve penalties to get yet another shot at it. The only advantage is that the homecrowd gets to see something exciting after even the most boring game.

Personally I'm not that fond of OT at all. If it is a draw, it is a draw. Trying to decide a winner in a game that wasn't won by either team is wrong.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:47 AM
cyrisweb

Quote:

You mean Colorado wins because it has the money to pay bigger name players.. That is unfair. It's a team game and penatly shots take TEAM right out of the game.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
The other side of that coin is that if the supposedly better team hasn't managed to win in 65 minutes of game, they don't deserve penalties to get yet another shot at it. The only advantage is that the homecrowd gets to see something exciting after even the most boring game.

Personally I'm not that fond of OT at all. If it is a draw, it is a draw. Trying to decide a winner in a game that wasn't won by either team is wrong.
You know what else is wrong, ties. It defeats the purpose of competetion an imo lack of ties legitimizes a sport. The other 3 sports, MLB, NFL and NBA don't have ties. The NFL technically does, but there is a tie what, once every 6 or 7 years? The less ties, the more legitimacy a sport has.

Closed Thread