HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lots of room in the budget for a free agent.

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Lots of room in the budget for a free agent.

By all calculations we should have around the seven million $C mark left in the budget to sign someone. Who is left, and who would help? One good free agent signing may go along way this year.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:13 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

vCash: 500
if they had $7 million they would've signed Comrie already.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:18 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
I disagree.

I doubt we have $7 million hiding under the couch cushions, but if the Oilers cave in to Comrie's salary demands, they've shot themselves in the foot in several different ways.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1

I thought it wasn't about money. I thought it was about Mike having very thin skin and a lack of maturity. Someone else mentioned the other day that Mike could be part of something special because the Oiler's future does look good. I don't think it has anything to do with money. The rise in the Canadian dollar from last year to this year has probably saved the Oilers a couple of million all ready.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
I thought it wasn't about money. I thought it was about Mike having very thin skin and a lack of maturity. Someone else mentioned the other day that Mike could be part of something special because the Oiler's future does look good. I don't think it has anything to do with money. The rise in the Canadian dollar from last year to this year has probably saved the Oilers a couple of million all ready.
Exactly. With the dollar rising like it has, if you include Comries salary at 3.5 mil US there is a small pot to work with..

Old
10-16-2003, 09:40 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

The FA's name is Mike Comrie. Get past the personal differences and put him back on his team. We're a damn good hockey team with him in there.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8
Exactly. With the dollar rising like it has, if you include Comries salary at 3.5 mil US there is a small pot to work with..
The problem is that you're assuming any money they save from the rising dollar goes directly towards the teams budget.. I'm guessing that most of that money will go to the owners who've probably lost a lot of money in the last little while.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I disagree.

I doubt we have $7 million hiding under the couch cushions, but if the Oilers cave in to Comrie's salary demands, they've shot themselves in the foot in several different ways.
An extra $7 million would definitely make the talks a hell of a lot easier.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
The problem is that you're assuming any money they save from the rising dollar goes directly towards the teams budget.. I'm guessing that most of that money will go to the owners who've probably lost a lot of money in the last little while.
Exactly. From day one, the ownership group here has been a lot more concerned about staying financially afloat until an owner-friendly CBA is made than building a team that will challenge for anything beyond the first playoff round. That's just the way it is.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:01 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well just the improved dollar is the difference between them losing and making money - so thats taken care of. We saved a million at the deadline deals last year, Cross=Marchants money last year, then there were about 1.5-2 million in other player raises.... SO that leaves about 2.5-3 million available from Comrie's contract still. But it's not that they don't have 3 million that they could give, it's that they are unwilling to over-pay a kid who just got grosely over-paid the last two seasons.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:02 AM
MrMackey

I believe that there is extra money available within the player budget to sign a free agent. In the same breath, I think it would be irresponsible to cave in to Comrie's demands just because there is extra money there.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
It was mentioned earlier that the Oilers bought all (or alot) of their American money over the summer, hence they aren't getting the big return on the dollar they would now.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:47 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It was mentioned earlier that the Oilers bought all (or alot) of their American money over the summer, hence they aren't getting the big return on the dollar they would now.
Keep using that memory, dawgbone.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...495#post259495

I didn't understand it, not my forte, but remembered enough to get the goods from theoil.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Comrie doesn't want to play in EDM anymore. He's going to be a Ranger. Lundmark would be the best option, but if there is indeed room in the budget, perhaps...Nedved? If of course the Rangers eat half his salary.

Just an idea...

Old
10-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Mizral

According to Bob McKenzie on TSN two nights ago, the Edmonton payroll is at $31.1 million.

Are you sure they have $7 million to spend? That would be an gain of more than 6 million compared to last year.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
According to Bob McKenzie on TSN two nights ago, the Edmonton payroll is at $31.1 million.

Are you sure they have $7 million to spend? That would be an gain of more than 6 million compared to last year.
They were factoring in the increase of the Canadian dollar by nearly $0.10 into it... that is where they were getting the $7mill from.

Closed Thread