HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins, Dec 23rd, 7:30pm

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin07
no not impressive at all but the pens seem to play us very hard and they seem to stick around till the end

for the first 25 minutes the Penguins were being run up and down the ice

Old
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
bodangleroo28

vCash: 500
therien savage <<<<< ****

Old
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
better to win ugly then to look good and lose.

This game had the trappings of an upset. Big emotional win last night, arrived late into a visiting city against a rested team, start of a long road trip... a win is a win.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
for the first 25 minutes the Penguins were being run up and down the ice
I'm sure that was all the Flyers had. After playing Ottawa they were bound to be tired so I can't say I'm disappointed seeing them win back to back games.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Lupul*

I got a good scare when the Penguins led 4-3. Glad we came out with the win!

Foppa

Old
12-23-2005, 09:17 PM
GoGoHuselius

Send a message via ICQ to GoGoHuselius
ok.. i generally don't post here because i am not a 'flyers fan'... i am a hockey fan, who happens to live in an area in which the flyers are broadcast. the following are some comments on this particular game. take them for whatever you would like to:

1. everyone dumps on Savage and Therien too much. yes, Savage is not an elite-level player. and, yes, he should NOT be on the PP or the PK, and, yes, he flubs his share of opportunities... but just take a look at who was on the the ice for the goals scored by Pittsburgh. he was only on for 1, and that was when he was, inexplicably, on the PK unit. as for Therien... he is a pylon and i will not argue otherwise. however, i think the Johnsson/Hatcher pairing was far worse tonight than he was with Rathje (mostly), as they were pylons that gave the puck directly to oncoming Penguins, instead of pylons who just let the Penguins by them, without the puck.

2. the Flyers PP is solid, although some people seem to think they underachieved tonight. yes, they were 2-11. that is 18.2%, which is right around the league average, and about 1% less than the Flyers average. if they had gone 3-11, it would have been 27%, which is higher than any team in the league averages. to expect that from them in any given match is ridiculous.

3. Crosby was very good tonight, almost always when he needed to be, and he seems to always kill the Flyers. Forsberg was very good tonight every time he needed to be, and he always seems to kill the Penguins. the difference here is, of course, the 'almost always' vs the 'every time'.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Man, that was a sloppy win. Johnsson should have been benched. He was absolutely brutal this evening. We may have come off a back to back game, but this is a team that should be a "gimme" and we almost blew it. I don't understand this team at all. They can go out, dominate for 35 minutes against a top notch team like Ottawa and win after being seriously outplayed for the final 25 minutes and then stink up the joint against a Penguins team, that for all intents purposes, we should absolutely destroy. Will the real Philadelphia Flyers please stand up? This inconsistency in their play should be all but resolved now and they're still playing like it's the first 10 games of the season. This is a team that is seriously lacking something right now. And as for the injuries, we're still a great team even when we're missing players. It's time that someone from the remaining players step forward and become a damn leader on this team and not just be content with barely scraping by.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
This game had the trappings of an upset. Big emotional win last night, arrived late into a visiting city against a rested team, start of a long road trip... a win is a win.
exactly. Pittsburgh allways( well most of the time) has given the Flyers fits over the years no matter what the record. divisional game on the road. ill take the 2 points and move on.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:27 PM
fism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Man, that was a sloppy win. Johnsson should have been benched. He was absolutely brutal this evening. We may have come off a back to back game, but this is a team that should be a "gimme" and we almost blew it. I don't understand this team at all. They can go out, dominate for 35 minutes against a top notch team like Ottawa and win after being seriously outplayed for the final 25 minutes and then stink up the joint against a Penguins team, that for all intents purposes, we should absolutely destroy. Will the real Philadelphia Flyers please stand up? This inconsistency in their play should be all but resolved now and they're still playing like it's the first 10 games of the season. This is a team that is seriously lacking something right now. And as for the injuries, we're still a great team even when we're missing players. It's time that someone from the remaining players step forward and become a damn leader on this team and not just be content with barely scraping by.

The flyers always seem to play to their opponent's level...kind of annoying, but hey at least I got my 30 minutes of cardio tonight.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fism
The flyers always seem to play to their opponent's level...kind of annoying, but hey at least I got my 30 minutes of cardio tonight.
Just for once, I'd love to see this team really put it to the bottom feeders that they're supposed to beat. Show no mercy and really run up the score. I don't care how bush league it is, I just want this team to send a message to the rest of the league that WE are the beasts from the East and that we're not gonna take it easy on any team anymore.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Savage got rocked by Orpik.

I'm just glad it was Savage and not someone good.
Funny, I thought exactly the same thing.

Anyways about the game, I know that Nitty let in 4, but I still thought he played pretty well, the only goal I didn't like too much was the 1st one. Also, on that Pens PP with about 7 minutes left, the Flyers PK unit was getting abused and Nitty pretty much kept the Flyers in the game with a few very big saves. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Nitty just finds a way to win games.

Also about Crosby. Wow. I know his 2nd goal might have looked bad, but it was really just an incredible move and an absolutely perfect shot, I don't think Nitty had much of a chance on it.

I am really not sure why Radiojevic sat tonight. I thought that Sim was invisible except for drawing a penalty, Brashear played less than 5 mins I bet, and Savage was awful (as usual). I also thought that Therien had his 2nd good game in a row.

I think Mike Knuble deserves

He may not hit the net a lot of the time, but he does a heck of a lot of dirty work and he always seems to score really timely goals. I think they said that 13 of his 19 have been go-ahead goals. So he might have hands of stone and I'll probably curse him off a lot, but he is clutch.

I think the Flyers are in a bit of a bind right now because right now, they have a top quality 1st line, two excellent 3rd lines, and a decent 4th line. They need some kind of scorer to play with Handzus and make it a true 2nd line, I don't think they can win the Cup with the scoring they have now, if the Forsberg line gets in a funk or gets an injury, the team isn't going to score.

Overall, good effort. We always have trouble with the Pens and this was the 2nd game of a back to back. I'm not too disappointed.

Old
12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Therien wasn't that bad, 2 good games in a row. Savage is a waste of a roster space. How many times have I heard and Savage misses it...

Old
12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Forgot to say this...

Although Murley isn't much of a tough guy, I think the beat-down that Eager put on him maybe signifies that Eager is ready to step up and be the enforcer on this team as well as a valuable forechecker and energy player.

I.e., send Brashear down. Now.

Old
12-23-2005, 10:09 PM
fism

Quote:
Just for once, I'd love to see this team really put it to the bottom feeders that they're supposed to beat. Show no mercy and really run up the score. I don't care how bush league it is, I just want this team to send a message to the rest of the league that WE are the beasts from the East and that we're not gonna take it easy on any team anymore.
I'd love it as much as anyone else - especially since my roomate is a Pens fan. But...I suppose there is something to be said about tonight - the ability to "dig deep" and win.

...or just give it to forsberg...either one.

Old
12-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
This inconsistency in their play should be all but resolved now and they're still playing like it's the first 10 games of the season. This is a team that is seriously lacking something right now. And as for the injuries, we're still a great team even when we're missing players. It's time that someone from the remaining players step forward and become a damn leader on this team and not just be content with barely scraping by.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings

21-8-5 <--- first place in the atlantic

and NO one in this league is a gimme... you're such the classic negadelphia fan it's amazing. enjoy it man... for your sake, seriously, enjoy the fact that this team is winning games. every team is having sloppy games in this league under these rules, and that is only exacerbated by playing on back-to-back nights in what amounts to the PERFECT "trap" game coming off of Ottawa.

assuming we were completely healthy i thought it would take until december for this squad to gel with all the new bodies... well, we've been as far from healthy as possible and we are doing fine in the standings. kick back and stop staring at the half-empty glass. start drinking the half-full one every once in awhile.

Last edited by Jester: 12-23-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old
12-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Steve L*

I think Brashear realised his job is now under threat and is starting to work and play better but its great having these kids come up and not look out of place.

Old
12-23-2005, 10:50 PM
BringBackStevens

Dear BobbyClarkeFan16:

chill the **** out

Old
12-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Nuclear

I was flying to Miami during the game, so I missed it. I called my friend when we landed and he told me we won in the final minutes 5-4.

Apparently Niittymaki was 22/26, and his SV% goes back down to up .900...

Did he have a bad night, or were the Flyers overwelmed after playing Ottawa?

Old
12-23-2005, 11:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I was flying to Miami during the game, so I missed it. I called my friend when we landed and he told me we won in the final minutes 5-4.

Apparently Niittymaki was 22/26, and his SV% goes back down to up .900...

Did he have a bad night, or were the Flyers overwelmed after playing Ottawa?
I am basing this while listening to the Pens' broadcast on NHL.com (Flyers were not on WIP). Flyers came out blazing, took a 3-0 lead and seemed to have things going their way. Penguins netted two second period goals to cut their deficit to 1 goal as the third period started. They took control as they got stronger as the game went along and the Flyers were seemingly getting tired (perhaps an emotional and physical let down due to a late arrival into Pittsburgh; announcer made this comment a few times) while the Pens were rested. Flyers had a chance to ice the game on a PP when up 3-0 but failed and the Pens got a lift. Then, two late 3rd period goals gave the Flyers the win. Flyers were also

Old
12-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Forgot to say this...

Although Murley isn't much of a tough guy, I think the beat-down that Eager put on him maybe signifies that Eager is ready to step up and be the enforcer on this team as well as a valuable forechecker and energy player.

I.e., send Brashear down. Now.
I'd love to see Brashear gone from our payroll too but I don't think Eager is an enforcer. Eager is a good middle-weight who can tear up guys like Murley but he could not handle guys like McGrattan or Godard. But who cares if he can't go with the heavyweights - those guys won't get 1 minute in the playoffs and that's all that really matters anyway.

Old
12-24-2005, 12:06 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Is it safe to say the penguins got FORSBERGED?

Old
12-24-2005, 12:07 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here are the standings, based on projected points for the season, heading into the Christmas break:

Ottawa 127
Buffalo 112
Montreal 99
Toronto 91
Boston 70

Philadelphia 113
NYRangers 105
NYIslanders 87
NJDevils 82
Pittsburgh 55

Carolina 116
Tampa Bay 89
Atlanta 80
Florida 66
Washington 65

Nashville 122
Detroit 116
Chicago 70
St. Louis 51
Columbus 45

Vancouver 105 (105.4)
Edmonton 105 (104.7)
Calgary 103
Colorado 89
Minnesota 80

Dallas 112
Los Angeles 100
Phoenix 87
Anaheim 87
San Jose 84

Old
12-24-2005, 02:38 AM
C-J...*

Did Forsberg sit out the last part of the third period?

Im guessing he hasnt fully recovered from his tear yet, just dont screw him over now that the olympics are coming up!

Old
12-24-2005, 03:11 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
Did Forsberg sit out the last part of the third period?
Not according to the shift chart.

Old
12-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Nacho
Special

Wow closer than I expected, we went on holiday in the 2nd period. But to be fair, it was a back to back game for the Flyers, but I'll take the win and 1st in the division!

And how about that between the legs move by Forsberg, to bad that it didn't go in...

Closed Thread