HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bates on the Boards

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Gumballhead

vCash: 500
Bates on the Boards

Did y'all see that great little play Bates made where he crumpled a Wild player on the boards, freed up the puck and passed it to Liles for a goal? I hope he does more of that, it was the best thing I've seen him do as an Av. Also, this was the first time I've seen him this year, but he looked a little stronger and feistier. I'm feelin' the 3rd line.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Inscottnito

Bates did so many things right on that sequence. I was really impressed. Bates just needs to have a sense of what his role will be and he will be fine. I love the grit he shows.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:21 AM
avfan#21

McCormick, Nikolishin and Battaglia showed some of the best thirdline play I've seen with the Avs in quite some time last nite. Really good cycling and essentially two goals on the nite. Great stuff!

Old
10-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Foppa2118

That was a good play by Batesy. I havn't seen him play physical like that in a long time. Come to think of it I haven't seen him forecheck in a little bit either. Great play though, executed perfectly, maybe it will boost his confidence and get things rolling again. Was it me or did he look a little surprised that his forecheck worked, and that the puck popped out, and was sitting there in front of him?

Old
10-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Zodiac

Yeah, Bates looked good out there. I hope he gained some confidence last night. That's something I felt was sorely lacking in him over the last year.

If he comes back and can play like he did with the BBC line in Carolina we'd be cooking with gas.

Hope to hell that he keeps it up.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Sakic19

For a minute, I thought it was just me looking at them through burgundy colored glasses, but that line played a good game last night. I hope Granato keeps them together as long as that keeps up.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:50 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

see guys, Battaglia can play

WHEN he gets his confidence back, you'll love him. He was my fav player on the 'Canes (besides Ozo when he was there) & that was because I saw him do stuff like he did on that Liles goal last night.

Granato: NEVER bench this guy again.

BTW, how about Nikolishen?? That guy has a wicked wrist shot!! I think Sakic might've been impressed with that last night

Old
10-18-2003, 05:46 AM
imagine29028

[QUOTE=1LS9]see guys, Battaglia can play

QUOTE]

he might be good...but not good enough to give up one of your top offensive talents.

Granted Vrbata would have probably suffocated in this years enviornment with being stuck on the 3rd line....BUT STILL...Jeff O'Neil anyone :p

Old
10-18-2003, 09:27 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

[QUOTE=imagine29028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9
see guys, Battaglia can play

QUOTE]

he might be good...but not good enough to give up one of your top offensive talents.

Granted Vrbata would have probably suffocated in this years enviornment with being stuck on the 3rd line....BUT STILL...Jeff O'Neil anyone :p
Vrbata would not be enough for O'Neil. He's still unproven & hasn't really accomplished anything. Also, he wasn't one of our top offensive talents. If he was, why would he rot on our 3rd line? Believe it or not, we got probably as much as we could from Vrbata as far as trade value. Anything else would've been a high pick....definately not a top end player like O'Neil. I mean, look at the Nedorost deal. We didn't exactly get Luongo or Boumesteer in return did we?

Old
10-18-2003, 10:25 AM
imagine29028

Quote:
Vrbata would not be enough for O'Neil. He's still unproven & hasn't really accomplished anything. Also, he wasn't one of our top offensive talents. If he was, why would he rot on our 3rd line? Believe it or not, we got probably as much as we could from Vrbata as far as trade value. Anything else would've been a high pick....definately not a top end player like O'Neil. I mean, look at the Nedorost deal. We didn't exactly get Luongo or Boumesteer in return did we?

sarcasm = :p

I was joking about O'Neil...

Old
10-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Yayo

Quote:
What about Erik Cole?? Did PL ask for him??

Old
10-18-2003, 10:55 AM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
What about Erik Cole?? Did PL ask for him??
If he was doing his job, I'm sure he did.

But! PL definitely would have to give up way more than Vrbata to get Cole. At that time and as of right now, Cole has way more upside than Battaglia.

And there's no way Jeff O'Neill should play 3rd line on ANY TEAM. But if the Avs did get him, but Tanguay would definitely be gone.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:40 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
sarcasm = :p

I was joking about O'Neil...
DOH!
:p

Old
10-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
I know what your guys are saying about Erik Cole. He's probably the best young power forward in the league (I think better than Heatly and Nash). I doubt the Canes would have given Cole up, he is better than Vrbata, either way, Cole was already out for the season.

I finally managed to watch the rest of the game today, I thought the 3rd lines were great. It wasn't anything of the elite lines of New Jersey, Dallas, and San Jose of recent years, but at least it was A 3rd line. I loved the assist by Battaglia, it was an uber sweet play. The main difference I see in him this year is his balance, last season it didn't take much to knock him down or spin him around; he seems a lot stronger on his skates. And he seems to have more of a defined role now.

I thought the coverage in the defensive zone was terrible though. If anything, I think they need a defensive speciallist (Did somebody say Ricci?). But still, I might be jumping the gun, it's only their 3rd game of the year and it doesn't look like they have fully gelled.

Closed Thread