HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Ribeiro Become next Koivu for Les Boys???

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 05:29 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Can Ribeiro Become next Koivu for Les Boys???

but even if he was to become do we have place for two Koivu in our lineup, or one of them become expandable, considering Ribeiro is starting to fight back and is able to stay on his feet atleast when game become fast and physical, From all angles Atleast Perrault is surely becoming expandable from looks of things which is just about right because this is his last year with les Boys, I'm not Saying Perrault is bad but just that Ribeiro is pretty much set to take second line duty on regular basis, but this only makes us smaller I hope there's flip side to this, but physical game aside our forwards are darn talented I gott'a say that for sure.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Mike8

sigh.

Let's wait and see how he does against a few of the bigger, tougher defensive systems first, okay? The Canadiens have a game against Detroit and NYI coming up. Those should be decent tests. Real tests will be against Philly, and NJ.

And of course, the ultimate test: consistency. Let's talk in 70 games.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:49 AM
Habber

There's no way Ribs takes over for Koivu. Ribs is not by any stretch of the imagination a first line centre.

It's still too early to tell, but I am also getting the feeling that Ribs will be our 2nd line centre this season and Perrault will be moved. Perrault only really had the one good game, while Ribs has been consistent almost every game since the start of the preseason. But many things can change over the next 20 games.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Habs4ever

I'm trying to compare him against Perrault as thats who he's competing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
sigh.

Let's wait and see how he does against a few of the bigger, tougher defensive systems first, okay? The Canadiens have a game against Detroit and NYI coming up. Those should be decent tests. Real tests will be against Philly, and NJ.

And of course, the ultimate test: consistency. Let's talk in 70 games.

against and From last year you probably remember that Perrault was all star for half season and floater for second half, and considering other then faceoff wins perrault doesn't bring anything more then Rebeiro, and they're both soft, but potential wise atleast Ribeiro is much more younger and way better play maker then Perrault, as when Perrault is gone I'm sure he'll get the job for that second lineup, nobody can take that away from him atleast with what we've got now.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:40 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
There's no way Ribs takes over for Koivu. Ribs is not by any stretch of the imagination a first line centre.

It's still too early to tell, but I am also getting the feeling that Ribs will be our 2nd line centre this season and Perrault will be moved. Perrault only really had the one good game, while Ribs has been consistent almost every game since the start of the preseason. But many things can change over the next 20 games.
I have on that one. Ribeiro doesnt have the size or the speed but as far as talent hes way better than you think. Lets see after 30 games where hell be.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
but even if he was to become do we have place for two Koivu in our lineup...
We have a place for four Koivus in our lineup.

Saku Koivu is by far superior to any of our current centremen including Ribeiro. I will be satisfied if Ribs becomes a poor-man's Koivu...

Maybe it's just that you have forgotten how good Saku really is...

You can never have too many Koivus!!!

All-Star

Old
10-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Coco Fever

Ribeiro is not "1st center material". Koivu is not either.

They both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

I prefer Ribeiro. Does it mean I think he's a better player than Koivu? No. It's just that I think Mike is more "generous" with the puck and has a better vision...his linemates would protect him because he would make them sign a big contract next year...hockey is all about $$$ today!

Bottom line: we still don't have a 1st line center.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Raskolnikov76

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star

Saku Koivu is by far superior to any of our current centremen including Ribeiro. I will be satisfied if Ribs becomes a poor-man's Koivu...
Saku is more complete than Ribeiro and right now he is better, but he's not far superior.

Mike has better ice vision and is potentially a better playmaker.

Saku has better speed and plays better defensively.Probably a better leader too.

Even if they are small, i have no problem with them being our first 2 centers.
Like you said, there's place for lots of koivus in the lineup.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Kirk Muller

Ribeiro will never become our next Koivu because Koivu will always have 10x's the heart, dedication, grit, fiestyness, leadership, and tenacity than Ribeiro can ever dream of. Even if Koivu was an average skilled 3rd line plugger, he would still be a cult hero in Montreal for those simple traits. The same reason why Mike Keane and Guy Carboneau are so highly thought of.

Ribeiro has played well so far, I will grant him that, whether he can do it consistently all year and throughout his career, time will tell, but honestly, a guy like Ribeiro could score 60-70 points and would only be known do to the simple fact that the Montreal media for whatever reason loves this guy and conveniently forget his downfalls.

The thing is, will he be our next Koivu. The question is in 30 years, when asked what player signified what represents a true Montreal Canadien, Koivu's name will always be brought up well before Ribeiro.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Habber

I can't believe I'm having to argue that Koivu is better than Ribeiro.

First of all, let's put the notion to rest that Koivu isn't a first line centre. He finished 10th in scoring amopng centres last season, and he is also strong defensively. There's 30 teams in the league, I challenge anyone to name 30 centres better than Koivu.

I like Ribeiro, but I think people are jumping on the bandwagon a little too quickly. Here's a guy was drafted five years ago and has just earned a role on this team. He's been a fringe NHLer up to this point in his career, all the sudden he has 4 good games and evryone is saying he's better than Koivu?

Koivu is far far far superior a player than Ribs will ever be. Just my humble opinion.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I can't believe I'm having to argue that Koivu is better than Ribeiro.

First of all, let's put the notion to rest that Koivu isn't a first line centre. He finished 10th in scoring amopng centres last season, and he is also strong defensively. There's 30 teams in the league, I challenge anyone to name 30 centres better than Koivu.

I like Ribeiro, but I think people are jumping on the bandwagon a little too quickly. Here's a guy was drafted five years ago and has just earned a role on this team. He's been a fringe NHLer up to this point in his career, all the sudden he has 4 good games and evryone is saying he's better than Koivu?

Koivu is far far far superior a player than Ribs will ever be. Just my humble opinion.

I'm happily eating crow given Ribeiro's level of play thus far (I didn't think he had it in him). However the degree of hype Ribs enjoys around here given his limited success is mind boggling.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:55 AM
mcphee

I agree, let's relax a bit. We're 4 games in. Ribeiro has had a good start.
He's had 2 deflection goals, which is a good sign as it means he's going to the net without the puck. He's made a few mistakes, but he seems to be working hard and seems to have a better feel for the whole game. Guys like Ribeiro, and Perreault for that matter can play poorly and still produce with their skill level. Let's not be too quick with comparisons though.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star

Maybe it's just that you have forgotten how good Saku really is...
You can never have too many Koivus!!!

All-Star
you know what ? I always forget how good Saku is.. seriously and then when I see him play i think wow .. he was that good... sorry had to say it :p

Old
10-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Just where exactly this thread turned into a Ribeiro vs Koivu one I couldn't say, but can't we just agree to have Koivu and Ribeiro as our 2 first centers for now? Geez. Perreault will be gone before the end of the year anyway (mark my words).

Old
10-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Just where exactly this thread turned into a Ribeiro vs Koivu one I couldn't say, but can't we just agree to have Koivu and Ribeiro as our 2 first centers for now? Geez. Perreault will be gone before the end of the year anyway (mark my words).
I'm wondering what we'll be able to get for Perreault, though...

Old
10-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
I'm wondering what we'll be able to get for Perreault, though...
If we trade him right now to a team in need of such player, probably a good gritty role player to play on the 3rd/4th line, and if we trade him at the trading deadline to a contender in need of some depth or a playoff runner-up cripled with injuries, I'd say probably just a mid pick.

Closed Thread