interesting given the fact that the Rangers spent so much time on the PK. At a minimum, I thought Lacouture should get ome time to at least rest a body. And personally, I think Lacouture should be taking a regular shift on the PK. Although, even with all the specialty team time, the forward with the least amount of ice time got nearly 8 minutes. That's a step in the right direction.
Does anyone know what the hell is going on behind the Ranger bench?
Not really. There are several questions here.
1. Why is Holik's line NOT playing against other teams' top lines?
2. Why is Lacouture not killing penalties and BOTH Holik & Messier are? Killing penalties was never Holik's forte in NJ. He NEVER did it. And why oh why, is Jurrasic Mark's carcass out there for the PK?
3. Why is Mess getting close to 16 minutes per game, AGAIN? Didn't Sather say that Mess is a 4th line player? Some 4th liner. Got nearly 18 minutes against Columbus and nearly 16 again last night.
4. What function does Rucinsky serve?
5. Why are the ADRD still on the team?
6. Why is Barnaby NOT on the 3rd line and on the 4th?
7. What is Poti doing out there on the PK?
I'd agree with you Brook, but I still think he should be on a regular PK unit as long as he's in the lineup.. Especially in lieu of Holik.. I do think Mess still does a good job killing them off, so I'm not so dissapointed in his PK time, its his regular strength time I have a problem with.. But again, that line has been outplaying Holik's so its understandable to a point..
I'm all for Barnaby taking Lac's spot, and giving Mess's line less time, but they still have to earn it..
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the feeling that Lacoutre's place in the lineup (on the 3rd line, whereas if he was not in the lineup, Barnaby could play the 3rd while either Keefe or Scott got a crack at the 4th) is cemented becuase he is an original Sather pick from the Edmonton days?
If I recall correctly, didn't Sather say after the Kovalev trade that he had insisted on getting LaCouture? And, when he's playing his game, he does bring something that the Rangers need on the ice. Unfortunately, he seems to have forgotten what that was between pre-season and the regular season. And I would definitely switch him with Barnaby. LaCouture played well with Messier last year and Holik needs something to get him going (I would suggest a heart transplant, but the recovery time is too long). Maybe Barnaby can spark Holik's line at even strength.
As for playing LaCouture on the PK--I certainly would, but Sather seems to like to play two players from the same line on the PK, rather than mixing and matching. I seriously doubt we would ever see a PK pair of Lundmark and LaCouture--Sather would not be willing to let Lundmark take so many defensive zone draws. Not that Holik has been so great in that department either. On the other hand, Messier and LaCouture also killed penalties last year....