HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

former avs players?

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
former avs players?

does anyone know how the following players are performing so far this year:

radim vrbata
scott parker
mike keane
eric messier
greg devries

and does anyone know what podein status is, takers or still unsigned?

Old
10-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
does anyone know how the following players are performing so far this year:

radim vrbata
scott parker
mike keane
eric messier
greg devries

and does anyone know what podein status is, takers or still unsigned?
None have been lighting the lamp, if that's what you mean. I don't think any have scored a goal or an assist. Feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Keane is seeing limited time as a 4th liner in Vancouver. His presence is doing more for a younger team as opposed to here.

Messier is featured in the "Lunch Pailers" section of nhl.com. Here's a link if you want to read about him as a Panther: http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/lu...ier101303.html

Radim Vrbata is on the third line in Carolina and they're having problems getting their offense going. After the 3rd game coach Paul Maurice is going to try rookie center Eric Staal between Vrbata and Jaroslav Svoboda. Stay tuned...

Scott Parker has largely been a non-factor in San Jose, mainly because that team is so awful.

And finally, poor DeVo is a good defenseman with sound fundamentals stuck on a team that has neither of those things. The Rangers have given up 10 goals in their first two games. It's sad that Sather is such an F'in moron...

Old
10-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Well...Keane has one assist so far...

Old
10-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Well...Keane has one assist so far...
And...is that good??

Old
10-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
And...is that good??
At least he isn't letting players skate past him for the GWG in game 7

Old
10-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Radim Vrbata is on the third line in Carolina and they're having problems getting their offense going. After the 3rd game coach Paul Maurice is going to try rookie center Eric Staal between Vrbata and Jaroslav Svoboda. Stay tuned...
Worth mentioning that Carolina's 3rd line has Kevyn and Craig Adams on it. I know a good deal of Canes fans I've read like the Adams boys, but they suck incredibly offensively. Vrbata is also playing the point on one of the PP units, which is a waste of his abilities in my opinion. The Canes have O'Neill and Cole ahead of Vrbata on RW from what I've seen; so, why not switch Vrbata to LW and see if he can play the off wing? Can't say I'm disappointed to see the Canes stink so bad because it might force Maurice to put a little more thought into his lines. Vrbata has been OK at best.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:18 PM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
"Poor Devo" ran for the money. I dont think I would refer to him as "poor Devo." If he wanted to play for a good defensive team, he should have stayed. He doomed his career and resigned himself to return to mediocrity by signing in New York. He's getting what he deserves, just like all the former Avs before him.
Skrastins is definitely making people say Greg de Who?

Old
10-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Worth mentioning that Carolina's 3rd line has Kevyn and Craig Adams on it. I know a good deal of Canes fans I've read like the Adams boys, but they suck incredibly offensively. Vrbata is also playing the point on one of the PP units, which is a waste of his abilities in my opinion. The Canes have O'Neill and Cole ahead of Vrbata on RW from what I've seen; so, why not switch Vrbata to LW and see if he can play the off wing? Can't say I'm disappointed to see the Canes stink so bad because it might force Maurice to put a little more thought into his lines. Vrbata has been OK at best.
Actually, the Adamses are 4th liners now. And Vrbata has been playing LW, and will be since Svoboda is a RW. Playing him on the point isn't an entirely bad idea since Radim's a perimeter player anyway, but it doesn't really utilize his speed, so I agree with you.

Have faith in Maurice. He's a good coach, just tinkering around a bit with the lines. So far the only one that's worked has been the Vasicek/Brind'Amour/Cole trio.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
And...is that good??
I was just responding to how he said he doesn't know if any have any points. He's been okay for us...

BTW, KL, Pierre Lacroix did not tender an offer to Greg de Vries, so it's not like he had the choice of coming back.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
BTW, KL, Pierre Lacroix did not tender an offer to Greg de Vries, so it's not like he had the choice of coming back.
He most certainly did tender an offer, one that the club thought was fair. DeVo knew he could get more money, more years, and (what was most important to him) a larger role elsewhere. I don't begrudge him spurning the Avs--that was his right and there was no way he'd get more repsonsibility with Blake, Foote, and Morris ahead of him on the depth chart. But make no mistake, the Avs did indeed tender an offer to him.

Old
10-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Actually, the Adamses are 4th liners now. And Vrbata has been playing LW, and will be since Svoboda is a RW. Playing him on the point isn't an entirely bad idea since Radim's a perimeter player anyway, but it doesn't really utilize his speed, so I agree with you.

Have faith in Maurice. He's a good coach, just tinkering around a bit with the lines. So far the only one that's worked has been the Vasicek/Brind'Amour/Cole trio.
How do you draw that conclusion? For the first two games, both Craig and Kevyn were 3rd liners with Vrbata. Last game, they were used more as a 4th liners, but that doesn't mean things have changed either. They both had more ice time than Staal and Boulerice anyway. The only thing that is known is that Francis can't play on the left and Staal can't center a team's #1 line at 18 and enjoy success. That's the only thing that is known after three games.

You are correct about Vrbata already being switched to the off wing. My mistake. So, the question really becomes why is Vrbata playing the off wing on the 3rd line? Vrbata isn't a bottom 6 player ideally and with the Canes having a gaping hole at LW on the #1 line, seems pretty obvious what would be the next line experiment doesn't it?

That's why I don't have faith in Maurice. It's obvious at the moment that he doesn't know how to maximize Vrbata's talents because Vrbata isn't an ideal bottom 6 forward or a point man on the PP. Staal wasn't ready for a primetime role right off the start and there's no one else that looks capable of working with Francis and O'Neill either. Svoboda plays like a 4th liner, Boulerice is and will always be one, and Marty Murray is at best a mediocre 3rd liner. Vrbata also hasn't had any success in those current roles either; so, I can't give Maurice the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'm not saying Vrbata will succeed with Francis and O'Neill, but it's pretty much a given he's not going to succeed on the 3rd line with Adams, Adams, or Svoboda.

Old
10-16-2003, 01:26 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
How do you draw that conclusion? For the first two games, both Craig and Kevyn were 3rd liners with Vrbata. Last game, they were used more as a 4th liners, but that doesn't mean things have changed either. They both had more ice time than Staal and Boulerice anyway. The only thing that is known is that Francis can't play on the left and Staal can't center a team's #1 line at 18 and enjoy success. That's the only thing that is known after three games.

You are correct about Vrbata already being switched to the off wing. My mistake. So, the question really becomes why is Vrbata playing the off wing on the 3rd line? Vrbata isn't a bottom 6 player ideally and with the Canes having a gaping hole at LW on the #1 line, seems pretty obvious what would be the next line experiment doesn't it?

That's why I don't have faith in Maurice. It's obvious at the moment that he doesn't know how to maximize Vrbata's talents because Vrbata isn't an ideal bottom 6 forward or a point man on the PP. Staal wasn't ready for a primetime role right off the start and there's no one else that looks capable of working with Francis and O'Neill either. Svoboda plays like a 4th liner, Boulerice is and will always be one, and Marty Murray is at best a mediocre 3rd liner. Vrbata also hasn't had any success in those current roles either; so, I can't give Maurice the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'm not saying Vrbata will succeed with Francis and O'Neill, but it's pretty much a given he's not going to succeed on the 3rd line with Adams, Adams, or Svoboda.

Vrbata is still getting shots, last I looked he led the team by a pretty good margin. I haven't watched him play but if it's anything like his cold streaks with the Avalanche then I suspect he's simply firing the puck into the chest of the goaltender and not doing so with much traffic in front. Vrbata should continue to keep firing away and eventually he'll get his precision dialed in and he'll be scoring goals. Especially if he can get traffic in front to create rebounds and screens for him.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

I read you loud an clear, and I actually agree with most of what you're saying. But the Canes fans I've talked to say that Brind'Amour came right out and said that Vrbata wasn't working with him and Cole. This is second-hand info, I know, but there must be a logical reason Maurice isn't plugging Vrbata in at RW to replace Bates Battaglia. Logically, his speed mixed with Cole's grit should be a great balance. But apparently it didn't work.

Take in mind Radim has yet to show any real consistency. He has the talent, but continues to be a very streaky player. And if you think about it, the Vasicek-Brind'Amour-Cole line is more of a checking line than it is about scoring. Staal and Vrbata could be considered a scoring line...that is, if it scores. :p

Let's see what this newly revamped line do. One way or another, if Maurice doesn't get this offense going and the Canes sputter out the gate, I'm positive he'll get the axe and our debate will be a moot point.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Laperriere22*

Just as a follow-up to the Vrbata/Carolina discussion, last night's lines were:

C. Adams-Brind'Amour-Cole
Murray-Vasicek-O'Neill
K. Adams-Francis-Vrbata
Tetarenko-Staal-Boulerice

Additionally, Vrbata was off the point on the PP (finally). Problem was Vrbata had one of his shaky confidence games offensively because he would just waste chances by taking long unscreened wristers. Maurice loves Kevyn and Craig Adams and that's why I didn't agree about them now being 4th liners. When a coach loves certain players, those players are never going to be where they should be. Maurice is on his way to being out the door soon. Brind-Amour and Cole have great chemistry and most anyone added on their left will get some points. But, there is no one else contributing offensively and playing Francis and Vrbata as 3rd liners is a bit twisted in and of itself.

Closed Thread