HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Futbol parte tres

Old
05-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
An all Madrid final again...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
KoozNetsOff 92

Would Atletico winning the UCL be bigger/greater achievement than Leicester winning the EPL?

KoozNetsOff 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2016, 06:04 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoozNetsOff 92 View Post
Would Atletico winning the UCL be bigger/greater achievement than Leicester winning the EPL?
Can't see how it's any where close to being an equal or bigger achievement. What we're Athletico's odds to win the UCL? Certainly not 5,000 to 1.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2016, 06:11 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Watching Barca on One network and they've got commercials announcing cricket broadcasts later this month. Been interested in it but never had the chance to see it. Have only a basic understanding of the game.

05-04-2016, 06:12 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Watching Barca on One network and they've got commercials announcing cricket broadcasts later this month. Been interested in it but never had the chance to see it. Have only a basic understanding of the game.
I watched Polo on NBCSN last weekend for about 15 minutes. Not water polo but actual horse polo. It was wild. First time I'd ever seen it.

Old
05-04-2016, 06:13 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
I watched Polo on NBCSN last weekend for about 15 minutes. Not water polo but actual horse polo. It was wild. First time I'd ever seen it.
Had no idea that was even televised.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Not even anywhere remotely close...

Old
05-04-2016, 09:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
NO way...great team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Millhaus

Looks like Liverpool vs Sevilla for a place in next seasons Champions League via winning the Europa Cup.

Old
05-05-2016, 06:53 PM
KoozNetsOff 92

I understand and respect why you're all saying Atletico winning wouldn't be as big as Leicester, however I have to disagree. Not trying to take anything away from Leicester, but there's no denying that their win is more about Chelsea, City, Utd and Arsenal having terrible seasons, rather than Leicester being so much better than everyone.
Atletico on the other hand didn't get the benefit of the top challengers self destructing. Having to go through Barca, Bayern and potentially Real. Those 3 teams have dominated the UCL the last 6 years and are the top 3 teams in most peoples eyes. They have a budget more than 400m+ bigger than Atletico. If they win it would easily be the most difficult UCL win ever.
IMO directly going through the 3 best teams in the world is more impressive than winning the EPL, especially with the top teams having miserable seasons.
Personal preference I guess.

Old
05-05-2016, 08:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

They're hanging with both RM and Barca in La Liga...they're legit and they're a team who has made it deep in Europe before. Very well coached.

Is the roster $ significant, sure, but Leicester was out of nowhere, almost relegated to Champs in 1 season is incredible.

I don't know how you measure the "most difficult UCL win ever"....but it would be a fantastic win no doubt. I'll be pulling for them.

Old
05-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I understand and respect why you're all saying Atletico winning wouldn't be as big as Leicester, however I have to disagree. Not trying to take anything away from Leicester, but there's no denying that their win is more about Chelsea, City, Utd and Arsenal having terrible seasons, rather than Leicester being so much better than everyone.
Atletico on the other hand didn't get the benefit of the top challengers self destructing. Having to go through Barca, Bayern and potentially Real. Those 3 teams have dominated the UCL the last 6 years and are the top 3 teams in most peoples eyes. They have a budget more than 400m+ bigger than Atletico. If they win it would easily be the most difficult UCL win ever.
IMO directly going through the 3 best teams in the world is more impressive than winning the EPL, especially with the top teams having miserable seasons.
Personal preference I guess.
Atleti won the league and were less than 10 minutes from winning the Champions League two seasons ago. They are level on points with Barca in the league this season and one in front of Madrid so I really have no idea what you are talking about. Sure Bayern, Barca, and Madrid are the class of European football at the moment but Atleti are in the small group right behind them. More improbable than Leicester winning the league? Are you kidding me...?

Old
05-06-2016, 03:10 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Leicester City may the biggest upset in sports history. It's certainly the biggest upset in soccer history.

Old
05-06-2016, 03:57 PM
KoozNetsOff 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Atleti won the league and were less than 10 minutes from winning the Champions League two seasons ago. They are level on points with Barca in the league this season and one in front of Madrid so I really have no idea what you are talking about. Sure Bayern, Barca, and Madrid are the class of European football at the moment but Atleti are in the small group right behind them. More improbable than Leicester winning the league? Are you kidding me...?
I'm saying mostly because of the budget difference. Atletico have a budget that is 20% of Madrid/Barca/Bayern. And yes they won la liga 2 years ago, but look at the current 11 vs the 2014 11. There are 6 different players. Losing half the starting 11, watching your rivals spend 80m+ on multiple players while you have that much to spend total? I get that it's easy to say "Atletico are top of the league, they're amazing" or we see them in the final so they're great and we kind of take it for granted, but the point is that considering the huge disparity in resources and the turnover of players every year, Atletico isn't supposed to be doing what they are. And the fact that Madrid and Barca didn't implode like the EPL teams, they are playing amazing as usual but Atletico with a 20% budget are matching them..

Old
05-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm saying mostly because of the budget difference. Atletico have a budget that is 20% of Madrid/Barca/Bayern. And yes they won la liga 2 years ago, but look at the current 11 vs the 2014 11. There are 6 different players. Losing half the starting 11, watching your rivals spend 80m+ on multiple players while you have that much to spend total? I get that it's easy to say "Atletico are top of the league, they're amazing" or we see them in the final so they're great and we kind of take it for granted, but the point is that considering the huge disparity in resources and the turnover of players every year, Atletico isn't supposed to be doing what they are. And the fact that Madrid and Barca didn't implode like the EPL teams, they are playing amazing as usual but Atletico with a 20% budget are matching them..
I don't know what to tell you. Atleti are simply a much, much, much bigger team than Leicester. Coming into this season if you had said they are going to win the Champions League everyone would have said ok. Sure the big 3 are the favorites but it could definitely happen. I don't know what the odds were but they weren't that long. Leicester to win the league? Are you kidding me?

And I don't know where you are getting your money numbers from but according to the Deloitte money league numbers for this year Atleti ranks 15th in all of Europe with numbers at about 30% and 1/3 of Madrid and Barca respectively. There are 5 EPL team with at least 4/1 advantages in that area over Leicester including ManUre with over a 5/1 advantage. And without a doubt financial advantages are much more telling over a 38 game league season than they are over a 2 legged cup tie.

So again these two things are not in any way comparable.

Old
05-07-2016, 11:16 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Leicester City may the biggest upset in sports history. It's certainly the biggest upset in soccer history.
Hard to beat 5000-1 odds. Thought I heard somewhere you have better odds to win the lottery or get struck by lightning.

Having said that, I envy the Leicester fans. About to celebrate an improbable championship at the highest level of their sport. I want to feel that again, but with our options locally it feels like the odds of that happening anytime soon is much greater than 5000-1.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2016, 02:15 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Hard to beat 5000-1 odds. Thought I heard somewhere you have better odds to win the lottery or get struck by lightning.

Having said that, I envy the Leicester fans. About to celebrate an improbable championship at the highest level of their sport. I want to feel that again, but with our options locally it feels like the odds of that happening anytime soon is much greater than 5000-1.
Yeah it's pretty depressing. I'm not much of a baseball/Nats fan, so you can bet that they'll be the next DC team to win a championship.

Old
05-08-2016, 12:53 PM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post

Odds wise properly.
Have been a few big ones in international play.

Greece winning the EURO 2004
Daenmark winning EURO 1992 (they did not even qualify did not have preperation and just came from holidays)
Germany winning the world Cup 1954 against a way superior Hungarian Team

Watching City Arsenal today it becomes clear that the big PL teams are miles away from top european teams this season.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2016, 01:39 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Welbeck injured. Again.

Old
05-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Millhaus

Hummels to Bayern. At this point I think you are going to need to bet $100 to win $1 on them winning their 5th Bundesliga title in a row next season...

Old
05-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Welbeck injured. Again.
Out an estimated 9 months. He came back in February after being out 10 months, played for about 3 months, and is now out again.

Old
05-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Millhaus

Longest coming St. Tottenham's Day ever it seemed. But for the 21st season in a row it has arrived...

Old
05-15-2016, 07:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

How do Spurs get blown out by Newcastle??!? Talk about mentally imploding their last 70 mins of regular season soccer....wow.

Old
05-17-2016, 08:28 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Altidore out 6-8 weeks with... wait for it... another hamstring injury. He will miss the Copa America Cententario. At this point I think it's safe to say he'll never be what the USMNT wants (and needs) him to be. Looks like Dempsey will be the only scoring threat outside of set pieces for the US again.

They should still place top 2 in their group. The US should earn at least 4 points out of Paraguay and Costa Rica, and Colombia is a shell of the team that was a dark horse favorite in Brazil. If they don't advance to the knockout round, I don't see how you keep JK.

Old
05-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Altidore out 6-8 weeks with... wait for it... another hamstring injury. He will miss the Copa America Cententario. At this point I think it's safe to say he'll never be what the USMNT wants (and needs) him to be. Looks like Dempsey will be the only scoring threat outside of set pieces for the US again.

They should still place top 2 in their group. The US should earn at least 4 points out of Paraguay and Costa Rica, and Colombia is a shell of the team that was a dark horse favorite in Brazil. If they don't advance to the knockout round, I don't see how you keep JK.
I'm not sure where you are getting your high expectations from as far as expected results go but all three teams in the US' group are solid IMO and they will do well to get out of it. I see one poor fairly recent result from any of them in World Cup qualifying, Paraguay losing at Peru, but other than that I'm not sure what you are pointing to.

As is very common lately I think people are way overrating the US talent level. The older guys are phasing out and there are very few with anywhere close to the quality to take their place. How that is on Klinsmann I have no idea.