HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Futbol parte tres

Old
05-17-2016, 01:37 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting your high expectations from as far as expected results go but all three teams in the US' group are solid IMO and they will do well to get out of it. I see one poor fairly recent result from any of them in World Cup qualifying, Paraguay losing at Peru, but other than that I'm not sure what you are pointing to.

As is very common lately I think people are way overrating the US talent level. The older guys are phasing out and there are very few with anywhere close to the quality to take their place. How that is on Klinsmann I have no idea.
What I am saying is we're almost exactly 5 years into JK's tenure and if they can't advance out of a group stage that doesn't have a dominant team then we're not on the right track for WC qualifying and that JK should be gone. Colombia is not close to the team they were and are no where near deserving of their FIFA ranking. Falcao's career has fallen off a cliff, they're without Jackson Martinez, James Rodriguez has been a bust since Brazil, etc. Costa Rica is a CONCACAF rival whom the US should beat, just like they should beat them in WC qualifying, if they're making the progress that Klinsmann has promised. Paraguay is the weakest of the teams.

Klinsmann absolutely, 100% deserves much of the blame. He asked for and received full control of not only the senior team but also all of the USNT development. His handpicked staff runs the U-23 and U-20 teams. His handpicked staff are responsible for the development of young talent. He is responsible for the inconsistent lineups and tactics at the senior level. He is responsible for playing guys out of their positions that they play with their parent clubs. He is responsible for the failure to establish an identity. How can you argue otherwise?

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Klinsmann absolutely, 100% deserves much of the blame. He asked for and received full control of not only the senior team but also all of the USNT development. His handpicked staff runs the U-23 and U-20 teams. His handpicked staff are responsible for the development of young talent. He is responsible for the inconsistent lineups and tactics at the senior level. He is responsible for playing guys out of their positions that they play with their parent clubs. He is responsible for the failure to establish an identity. How can you argue otherwise?
No national team manager is responsible for any kind of player development as they don't spend anywhere remotely close to the amount of time with the players that would be required to do that. Not at the full national team level and not at the ones right under either.

Player development occurs at the club level. It isn't his fault the US player pool is in a down cycle and it isn't his fault that so many of the older top players decided to move home and play in MLS instead of staying in Europe and playing at a much higher level. He advised those guys to stay in Europe, much to Garber's chagrin. When you don't have the horses there is only so much you can do IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
No national team manager is responsible for any kind of player development as they don't spend anywhere remotely close to the amount of time with the players that would be required to do that. Not at the full national team level and not at the ones right under either.

Player development occurs at the club level. It isn't his fault the US player pool is in a down cycle and it isn't his fault that so many of the older top players decided to move home and play in MLS instead of staying in Europe and playing at a much higher level. He advised those guys to stay in Europe, much to Garber's chagrin. When you don't have the horses there is only so much you can do IMO.
He's responsible for the people he picked, the tactics they installed, and the results. He wanted full control over everything -- it was a stipulation in his contract -- and the results (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Player development does occur at the club level, but putting players in position to succeed is the coach's job. He routinely plays players out of the positions that they play at their parent club. Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, and DeAndre Yedlin are just a few examples. He can't settle on a formation. They have no identity at all. That's coaching. You knew what the USMNT was under Arena and Bradley: a group of guys limited in offensive talent but structurally sound through the final two thirds and very disciplined in set pieces. Where have they improved under JK? What tactical or strategic decision has made the team better in any appreciable way?

Old
05-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
You knew what the USMNT was under Arena and Bradley: a group of guys limited in offensive talent but structurally sound through the final two thirds and very disciplined in set pieces. Where have they improved under JK? What tactical or strategic decision has made the team better in any appreciable way?
IMO Arena and Bradley were working with a decently better set of players. A national team manager has little to do with what kind of talent he has to work with. The generation that is aging out now was a good one but the one that should be in their prime now are sub-par to say the least. The pipeline of players from MLS to Europe really hasn't materialized anywhere close to the extent it should and that is because MLS has done a very poor job of developing players. I don't see that as the national team manager's fault.

Sure Klinsmann spends a lot of time experimenting but that is because he, rightly IMO, feels the only things that really matter are World Cups. The idea is to qualify and hopefully have it all figured as best as possible for the finals. Everything else means very little and is the right time to experiment.

Old
05-18-2016, 12:26 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Welcome back for 1 more year John Terry!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2016, 03:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Come on Liverpool, thought you had this one. I like Klopp, was rooting for em....

Old
05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

So long LVG....

https://www.theguardian.com/football...chester-united

It's a shame that meaningless trophy couldn't even save him....but it's going to be interesting if Mo arrives!

Old
05-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
PSG wins the Coupe de France, have more titles this season (4) than Marseille has wins on their home pitch (3). Ouch.

Nice performance by Ibra, scoring on his last game ever with PSG. His skill will be missed, but I'd like someone more humble to replace him.

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Millhaus

And penalties go Madrid's way and poor Atleti falls at the last hurdle again...

Old
05-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
And penalties go Madrid's way and poor Atleti falls at the last hurdle again...
Atleti is destined to lose to RM forever, just like we are destined to lose to the Pens forever.

Old
06-01-2016, 01:03 PM
sycamore

Euro 2016 just 9 days away. Anyone know who is favored to win this thing? Don't follow soccer as closely as some of you, just tune in either for the World Cup or the European Cup.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2016, 01:40 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

CAC kicks off Friday night w/ USA vs COL as well. The next month is going to be awesome for soccer fans.

As for the Euros, I think there are four tiers. Tier I (favorites) are France and Germany. I think they're easily the two best teams. Right below them in Tier II are England and Spain. Tier III for me is Belgium and Italy. Tier IV is everyone else, led by Portugal and Croatia.

Old
06-01-2016, 02:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

I'm psyched, adding two major soccer tournaments to an already great summer of sports.

Germany 7/2
France 3/1
Spain 11/2
England 9/1
Belgium 10/1
Italy 16/1

Germany then England is who I'm pulling for.

Old
06-01-2016, 03:45 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm psyched, adding two major soccer tournaments to an already great summer of sports.

Germany 7/2
France 3/1
Spain 11/2
England 9/1
Belgium 10/1
Italy 16/1

Germany then England is who I'm pulling for.
Germany = Penguins of soccer. Anyone else please.

Excited about England. A good squad of hungry young players without any drama queens . At the very least they should entertain with exciting soccer.

Old
06-02-2016, 05:31 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

1. England is never a serious contender. It just isn't.

2. Germany is not Pens. Germany represents the football concept very well. Team play, passes, shots, physicality. That's why they're always there at the top.

Last edited by Raikkonen: 06-02-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2016, 05:54 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
1. England is never a serious contender. It just isn't.
Oh please like they never can be. England was a dominant force in soccer from the 1960s through the 1990s. No reason why they can't be again. Current squad has looked dangerous in the lead ups to the tournament. I suspect they may surprise.

Old
06-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Oh please like they never can be. England was a dominant force in soccer from the 1960s through the 1990s. No reason why they can't be again. Current squad has looked dangerous in the lead ups to the tournament. I suspect they may surprise.
Last time they were quasi contenders... it was when they had old man Shilton as a goalie, right? 1990. Watched that World Cup a bit. Listened to the 3rd place game via radio. In short: not in my lifetime.

Hard to believe in that

I'm 34 this month. I do not believe in England as soccer contender.

Germany? Any day of the week.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2016, 12:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

France and Germany.....that's my 1-2 favorites to win

England could get hotter. They have the horses to win. They never seem to pull it together though....we'll see.

Old
06-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Let's go France!

Will be tough to win with all these injuries but we can still make it.

Old
06-02-2016, 07:05 PM
sycamore

England's international performance in many ways mirrors the Caps NHL performance. They have had very strong teams in the past, but have always found some devastating way to lose eg. Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal in '86, David Beckham's infamous red card vs Argentina in '98, David Seaman's huge blunder against Brazil in 2002. I guess at least they won a World Cup in 1966, so maybe they are more like the Flyers than the Caps.

Old
06-02-2016, 07:17 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
England's international performance in many ways mirrors the Caps NHL performance. They have had very strong teams in the past, but have always found some devastating way to lose eg. Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal in '86, David Beckham's infamous red card vs Argentina in '98, David Seaman's huge blunder against Brazil in 2002. I guess at least they won a World Cup in 1966, so maybe they are more like the Flyers than the Caps.
Leafs.

06-02-2016, 09:10 PM
hb11xchamps

So Dani Alves is moving on from Barcelona. Apparently rumored to be going to Juventus

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Millhaus

All the bigger teams in the Euros have decent size question marks IMO. Major players missing because of injuries, international retirements since Brazil, or other reasons as well as weaknesses in certain positions jump out to me.

I think Spain is the strongest team top to bottom so I am picking them.

Old
06-03-2016, 10:07 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
All the bigger teams in the Euros have decent size question marks IMO. Major players missing because of injuries, international retirements since Brazil, or other reasons as well as weaknesses in certain positions jump out to me.

I think Spain is the strongest team top to bottom so I am picking them.
You're right about the question marks which is why I think a surprise team like Austria or Croatia could make a deep run. Spain's a decent choice but I'm not a huge fan of their forwards outside of Morata. Belgium has a ton of talent but they never seem to put it all together. Italy is very young and inexperienced. England is England. France has some big injuries to deal with.

Old
06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2885762/a...r-city-sources

Bold...