HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlis Skrastins

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 09:09 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Karlis Skrastins

i got to admit this guy is one of the most under-rated players in the game today! what a complete steal by lacroix, those nashville fans weren't lying in the summer when they said this guy was for real.

amazing in his own zone, blocks shot as good as anyone, puts the puck on net(8 shots in 3gms), and logs tons of minutes, last game more than foote and blake.

de vries who

anyone else notice how morris ice time has reduced significantly or at least it appears that way to me, i find him to be invisible so far.

anyways back to skrastins, i hope other fans realize how good he has played so far and i dont want to every hear anyone say again the avs d has no depth or is a weakness, cuz with the play of skrastins and liles their d is in the top 3 in the league! at least so far....

Old
10-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Avs board material..

He's a top notch #5, and a decent #4, but not better then de Vries by any means.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Reign Nateo

Underrated for sure, his main weakness his his strength in front of the net, which was exposed when he played the Canucks last year. Bertuzzi easily threw him out of the way and scored in front of the net. As long as they pair him with someone a little more physically imposing, he should excell in Colorado.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Avs board material..

He's a top notch #5, and a decent #4, but not better then de Vries by any means.

So far, he's making me quickly forget about de Vries. Greg gets paid too much, in my book, for what he does. I'd take Skrastins over him right now. The price is right.

According to TSN's player report on Skrastins ..they say ...

Assets : Loves to play the body and block shots. Has great character and an infectious personality. Is underrated in all aspects of the game.

Flaws Has limited offensive capability. Struggles when on the ice against some of the swiftest skaters in the NHL.

Career potential Top-four defenseman.

Sounds alright with me.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:32 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Avs board material..

He plays a similar game to matvichuk, i am not saying he is better or worse for that matter, but they are comparable.

would you call matvichuk a top notch #5?

i bet cuz he plays in dallas you would consider him a top notch #3, huh?

They way i see it..

Modano=Homer

Old
10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
guinness
those were the days

We'll see what he's really made of after more than just 3 games against Chicago, St. Louis, or Minny and St. Loius being the only one that's looked half-way decent so far.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
He plays a similar game to matvichuk, i am not saying he is better or worse for that matter, but they are comparable.

would you call matvichuk a top notch #5?

i bet cuz he plays in dallas you would consider him a top notch #3, huh?

They way i see it..

Modano=Homer
Excuse me to interupt your wet dream here, but you know Skrastins for what? 3 games now? And already you are praising him to be as good as Richard Matvichuk, one longtime enemy of your beloved Peter Forsberg..

Skrastins is an unspectacular defenseman, solid, steady, but he adds nothing, only prevents. He's a lot like Brad Lukowich.. and I like Brad, always have, yet he isn't more then a #5, potential for a #4 but it stops there.. Also remember that Karlis turns 30 in 6 months, a change of scenery might improve his game, don't expect him to develop into more then he is right now.

Richard Matvichuk, despite going though injuries last season that saw him play an utterly poor season, is a superior player.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Avs board material..

A very fair assesment of him. As a #4 he is a very good guy when paired with a more offensive minded partner. Sound defensivly and will take the body. Smart, simple play for the most part and shows flashes of offensive skills, but not a Powerplay guy by any means.

A very underrated move by PL this offseason.

Tiki

Old
10-17-2003, 10:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
A very fair assesment of him. As a #4 he is a very good guy when paired with a more offensive minded partner. Sound defensivly and will take the body. Smart, simple play for the most part and shows flashes of offensive skills, but not a Powerplay guy by any means.

A very underrated move by PL this offseason.

Tiki
Karlis does a lot of things good, and is a really good shot blocker, he is as solid as they come, but not spectacular. I really like Karlis, but as of right now, I don't want him back. I wish we would have gotten a higher pick for him, but I don't think he's better than any defenseman in our line-up right now.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Excuse me to interupt your wet dream here, but you know Skrastins for what? 3 games now? And already you are praising him to be as good as Richard Matvichuk, one longtime enemy of your beloved Peter Forsberg..
Frankly, M=G, I'd take Skrastins over Matvichuk as well.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Frankly, M=G, I'd take Skrastins over Matvichuk as well.
Yeah but you hate and despise Matvichuk for as long as I can remember.. No worries..

Old
10-17-2003, 11:38 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Yeah but you hate and despise Matvichuk for as long as I can remember.. No worries..
nice excuse,

btw i never said he was as good as matvichuk, i simple said he plays a similar game, learn to read before you get your panties in a bunch!

Old
10-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
A good #4 that can log massive ice time and hasn't missed a game in 3-4 years. Great trade from PL and I think he will be more known now he is with the Avs. I would say it is DeVries all over again.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Come on guys, I'm a Karlis fan but he's not better than Matvichuk, not even close.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Come on guys, I'm a Karlis fan but he's not better than Matvichuk, not even close.
Yeah but Mizral has a thing against Matty, just like I have a case against the Sedins. Happens..

Old
10-17-2003, 11:59 AM
shveik

I said it before, in my opinion the Dman closest to Skastins in style of play and ability is Willie Mitchell. Just a reliable defenseman with a simple game. I'd say he definetely qualifies as top 4.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik
I said it before, in my opinion the Dman closest to Skastins in style of play and ability is Willie Mitchell. Just a reliable defenseman with a simple game. I'd say he definetely qualifies as top 4.
Skrastins is a solid #4. He has a lot more offense than people give him credit for. Unfortunately, he never uses it in the NHL. He was quite proficient working the PP with Ozo in the last Olympics. He had a hatty in the last WC's. I remember thinking, why doesn't he do this with the Preds.

Skrastins is solid. It's great word to describe him, he is sound positionally, and is a gritty player that doesn't stand down from confrontations. He isn't weak as the poster earlier pointed out. So he was manhandled by Bert. Bert has manhandled Foote a few times. I wouldn't call Foote weak. He's not going to overpower forwards, he'll just stay between them and the net. Though Trigg is right, he wouldn't be playing a whole lot in the current Preds D situation. It's odd to say, but he's not good enough of a puck mover to have out there. We have 3 solid defensive Dman and Skrastins is too good to be a #5-6 in Nashville. We can't afford to pay our 3rd pairing Dman what he is wanting.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:58 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Skrastins is a solid #4. He has a lot more offense than people give him credit for. Unfortunately, he never uses it in the NHL. He was quite proficient working the PP with Ozo in the last Olympics. He had a hatty in the last WC's. I remember thinking, why doesn't he do this with the Preds.
I agree. In the WC's last year he had a natural hat trick. He's jumped into the play several times over the last few games and doesn't look offensively inept as some would lable him. He's vastley better a defenseman than DeVries. That's just an opinion but I believe that will be proven out over time.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:22 PM
vitogor

Kariya and Selanne might have stolen all the highlights in the summer, but the addition of guys like Skrastins and Nikolishin will prove to be just as vital IMO. Too bad nobody will ever notice that, except probably their teammates.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The only time his offense comes into question is during the transition game. I don't know if you've noticed but his first pass is slow and wide of the target, he's ok if he can skate it out but he's not going to make that quick tape to tape out of the zone, ever. He does have a good shot and good moves in close, though, and I've never been a big Devries fan

Old
10-17-2003, 04:13 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
The only time his offense comes into question is during the transition game. I don't know if you've noticed but his first pass is slow and wide of the target, he's ok if he can skate it out but he's not going to make that quick tape to tape out of the zone, ever. He does have a good shot and good moves in close, though, and I've never been a big Devries fan
Actually last night Skrastins had a couple of outlet passes that broke out some Avalanche forwards. Had the announcers commenting on the quality of the pass.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Actually last night Skrastins had a couple of outlet passes that broke out some Avalanche forwards. Had the announcers commenting on the quality of the pass.

Like Trigg said, that was his weakness in Nashville. It's good to see him progressing.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Bert has manhandled Foote a few times. I wouldn't call Foote weak.
When has this ever happened?

Forget the regular season.

Adam Foote has shut down the likes of Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, Jason Allison, Owen Nolan, etc. over the course of playoff rounds and Bertuzzi did not pose a challenge in a four game sweep of the 'Nucks.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:49 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
When has this ever happened?

Forget the regular season.

Adam Foote has shut down the likes of Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, Jason Allison, Owen Nolan, etc. over the course of playoff rounds and Bertuzzi did not pose a challenge in a four game sweep of the 'Nucks.
Forget the regular season??????? Well, hell, forget the regular season when it comes to Skrastins as well

I was responding to Reign Nateo's assertion that because Bertuzzi beat Skratch, then Skratch is weak. Now, I don't think playoffs is a fair comparison because Bert's play drops off significantly in the playoffs. Maybe Skratch could handle him

I think you need to go back and reread my post and the post I was responding to.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I'm not knocking Skrastins, but that's his weakness, with the Avs forwards it's not as important, just get it to open ice. He isn't overly physical either but can hold his own with most NHLers. He still is just a solid defenseman, not a star or superstar, never will be, just a hard working solid defenseman, that gives his all every night. He does sometimes get a little to caught up tryiing to block shots, leaving him on the ice as players toe dragged around him for scoring chances.

Closed Thread