HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlis Skrastins

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

vCash: 500
Skrastins is a solid #4 Defenseman ala DeVries. He seems just as good as DeVries and is what 3M$ cheaper?!?

Old
10-17-2003, 07:23 PM
DarioinDenver

Thanks for the input on Skrastins guys. The season is still early but he looks just very, very good so far. The outlet passes look pretty good and I haven't seen him go down to block a shot by more than putting one knee to the ice. Maybe the Avs will get some time on ESPN and he can showcase what he's doing to a larger audience.

Could it be this constant reference to Bertuzzi pushing him around is a reflection of the sucker punch he took from Bertuzzi?

Old
10-17-2003, 07:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Thanks for the input on Skrastins guys. The season is still early but he looks just very, very good so far. The outlet passes look pretty good and I haven't seen him go down to block a shot by more than putting one knee to the ice. Maybe the Avs will get some time on ESPN and he can showcase what he's doing to a larger audience.

Could it be this constant reference to Bertuzzi pushing him around is a reflection of the sucker punch he took from Bertuzzi?
Like I said I'm not knocking Skrastins at all, I really enjoyed watching him over the last 5 years in Nashville. Of all the defensemen we let go this summer he was the only one I didn't want let go, although now I understand why.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver

And he did get manhandled by big Bert, but so did all of our defensemen, and no we're not talking about the sucker punch. During one game against the them Bert pushed Skrastins in the back then scored a goal, it wasn't a cross check, just a push but it moved Karlis about 4 feet.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Preds

2000-01 Nashville Predators NHL 82 1 11 12 30 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Nashville Predators NHL 82 4 13 17 36 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Nashville Predators NHL 82 3 10 13 44 -- -- -- -- --

Karlis is a iron man !

Old
10-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^I hate and despise Peter Forsberg, M=G, but I'd still take him over 99% of the players in the league. Dislike for a player doesn't negate respect. That said, I think that Skrastins and Matvichuk are similar players, but that Skrastins is quite simply a little bit better at what he does. Matvichuk has the winning history, but Skrastins is a tremendously underrated player.

And Brendan Morrison is second in the league in the Iron Man streak, eh? I knew he was high but not that high.

~Canucklehead~

10-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I watched Skrastins in Nashville for years, and I have to say, that so far he is playing better for the Avs then he did for the Preds. Of course, he is playing with much better dpairings and line combinations. Hopefully he will continue to progress. His play so far has been very good, but its only game 3 and two of the teams played have been weak.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I don't know how far the "Bertuzzi pushed him around" argument will go. It is Bertuzzi after all, he could push around almost anyone.....

Old
10-17-2003, 10:28 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
potential for a #4 but it stops there..
this is where your post starts blowing hot air..

Old
10-17-2003, 10:32 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Forget the regular season??????? Well, hell, forget the regular season when it comes to Skrastins as well

I was responding to Reign Nateo's assertion that because Bertuzzi beat Skratch, then Skratch is weak. Now, I don't think playoffs is a fair comparison because Bert's play drops off significantly in the playoffs. Maybe Skratch could handle him

I think you need to go back and reread my post and the post I was responding to.
when talking about a foote vs joe blo matchup, we should forget the regular season, as foote simply does not play with the tenacity he does in the playoffs, nor does he need to, it's the regular season. if he played the same in during the season he'd take penalties in this new nickel and dime officiated league..

regular season means squat IMO when talking about shut down defensemen and their matchups, as they completely elevate their game on all levels in the playoffs.. that's what RIAL meant i'm sure.. regular season counts to some, however i'd put no faith in it when talking about a foote vs anyone matchup, as he simply isn't playoff intense

Old
10-18-2003, 07:23 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
when talking about a foote vs joe blo matchup, we should forget the regular season, as foote simply does not play with the tenacity he does in the playoffs, nor does he need to, it's the regular season. if he played the same in during the season he'd take penalties in this new nickel and dime officiated league..

regular season means squat IMO when talking about shut down defensemen and their matchups, as they completely elevate their game on all levels in the playoffs.. that's what RIAL meant i'm sure.. regular season counts to some, however i'd put no faith in it when talking about a foote vs anyone matchup, as he simply isn't playoff intense
But, conversely, is it fair to include the playoffs when you are talking about Bert? His play drops significantly, whereas Foote's increases. Should we throw out one because it helps another?

Foote does elevate his game in the playoffs but he has no frame of reference when referring to Bert. Big Bert takes a big step down in the playoffs and who knows, Skrastins might be able to handle Bert in the playoffs. Chelios sure could.

He still completely misread what I had written and what I had responded to. He got his panties in a wad* because I said Bert had manhandled Foote before. Then he tried to step in and defend Foote with a bunch of qualifications.

*Because of RIAL's poor reading comprehension, and because his feelings got hurt, I must insist that I don't consider RIAL a girl [even if I do consider him a baby ]

Old
10-18-2003, 07:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Avs board material..

He's a top notch #5, and a decent #4, but not better then de Vries by any means.
He's very much better than de Vries. de Vries had a flash in the pan season. Skrastins has been a solid, top pair d-man who went unnoticed (and after being traded we learned his is underappreciated too).

Old
10-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
He's very much better than de Vries. de Vries had a flash in the pan season. Skrastins has been a solid, top pair d-man who went unnoticed (and after being traded we learned his is underappreciated too).
Except for all of us Nashville fans, who screamed it for years

Old
10-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
this is where your post starts blowing hot air..
Sure AB.. maybe I don't have much faith in a defenseman that is supposed to develop into more while he will enter his 30's in 6 months .

Old
10-18-2003, 08:59 AM
MileHigh

Quote:
Sure AB.. maybe I don't have much faith in a defenseman that is supposed to develop into more while he will enter his 30's in 6 months .
Who's to say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Skrastins could hit the weight room, get better coaching or any number of things that could make him better at the ancient age of 30. It is outragous to say that once a player turns 30 that this is as good as it is every going to get and there's no where to go but down.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Karlis had offensive abilities, but he was unable to utilize those in Nashville like he can in Colorado.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Karlis had offensive abilities, but he was unable to utilize those in Nashville like he can in Colorado.
Agreed. Nashville didn't have a defensively responsible defender other than Skrastins. He was our Foote. Now that Skrastins is on Colorado, he doesn't feel the need to be the shutdown Dman we wanted him to be. That has to help.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:52 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He still completely misread what I had written and what I had responded to. He got his panties in a wad because I said Bert had manhandled Foote before. Then he tried to step in and defend Foote with a bunch of qualifications.
Hey, I've got a better idea.

If you want to personally attack(implying I'm a female, etc.), then how about addressing me personally and not calling me names through discussions with other people?

I asked you to cite a game where Adam Foote was 'manhandled' by Todd Bertuzzi, as you so eloquently put it.

You have yet to do so, and will fail to do so... because it's *never* happened. The only two players who have ever 'manhandled' Foote in a game is Eric Lindros when he was with Philadelphia and Brendan Shanahan in Detroit's '97 and '98 runs.

Oh, and you *obviously* do not see the difference in regular season and playoff hockey. Being a Predators fan and all, I wouldn't expect you to even understand playoff hockey.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:17 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

If you want to personally attack(implying I'm a female, etc.), then how about addressing me personally and not calling me names through discussions with other people?
'Panties in a wad' is a figure of speech. It wasn't my intent to imply that you were a lady; rather, it was my intent to mention that you got bent out of shape. If you have a problem with what I have said, and you feel that I am attacking you as a person, go to a mod. They'll be the judge, and I'll get busted. Besides, I feel personally insulted that you have displayed an inability to comprehend my original post.

Quote:
I asked you to cite a game where Adam Foote was 'manhandled' by Todd Bertuzzi, as you so eloquently put it.
Gee, let me go get my calendar. I know I wrote that date in here because I knew it would be important. Oh wait, here it is...never mind, you didn't ask me to name when I saw it, you asked me to name when I saw it provided it wasn't during the regular season. You put a wonderful qualification in there. It's like saying show me a game whereby David Legwand hasn't scored 15 goals, but the regular season doesn't count. I made my statement, and you altered it, and called me on it. Doesn't work that way. I wouldn't have made the statement if I was considering playoffs. Why? Because Vancouver and Colorado have matched up once in the past 6 years. It was a 4 game sweep in which Colorado dominated.

We were talking about Skrastins, not Foote. He said "Bert manhandled [my words] Skratch". I said, "so what? Bert has manhandled Foote as well". Both were in the regular season, and both are good examples that being manhandled by Bert is nothing to sneeze at. I think you really need some reading comprehension classes.

Quote:
Oh, and you *obviously* do not see the difference in regular season and playoff hockey. Being a Predators fan and all, I wouldn't expect you to even understand playoff hockey.
Right, when you run out of ammo, always attack the person, not the argument. Because obviously, I know less about playoff hockey because you are a Colorado fan. I may or may not know more about playoff hockey. But I can tell you one thing; I can do something you can't do-comprehend my original post.

Addendum: Don't get so mad. You are the one who misunderstood my initial post. I think if you go back and reread it, you'll find your response was quite off-base.

Old
10-18-2003, 02:03 PM
name

Quote:

You have yet to do so, and will fail to do so... because it's *never* happened. The only two players who have ever 'manhandled' Foote in a game is Eric Lindros when he was with Philadelphia and Brendan Shanahan in Detroit's '97 and '98 runs.

I'm not one to normally jump into this type of thing, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The point being made was that saying that Bertuzzi was able to push someone around doesn't necessarily mean that they're weak. You took what he said and have gone off on a total tangent.

Closed Thread