HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wow at this quote from Hitch about Niittymaki

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Nuclear

vCash: 500
Wow at this quote from Hitch about Niittymaki

Quote:
"I hope [Niittymaki] gets passed over for the Olympics," said Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock, who is also an assistant for Team Canada. "That's good for us. I'm a Canadian. I always thought he was a really good goaltender. There's still a long time before teams select their goaltenders, so there's lots of moves to be made yet.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/13505805.htm

According to that article, the Finnish team can still pick Niittymaki as one of their goalies? I thought the decision they made was final.

Old
12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
ďI hope he gets passed over, Iím Canadian. Iím just kidding. Iíve always thought heís a good goaltender. If he plays as well as heís playing right now and continues to play that way, itís pretty hard to pass him up as an insurance policy. I donít know how you can go to bank with a goalie that hasnít played a hockey game yet [Kari Lehtonen] and thatís going to be your starting goalie. I think those people are aware of that. I would be very surprised if he wasnít on their [Finlandís] roster. Very surprised.Ē
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...rt/default.asp

Old
12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Jester

he was on the taxi squad, or whatever, and can get picked up...

Old
12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/13505805.htm

According to that article, the Finnish team can still pick Niittymaki as one of their goalies? I thought the decision they made was final.

Kiprusoff isn't going to play and he was named to the team, so there is an open spot

Old
12-29-2005, 04:17 PM
chthonic

lehtonen (and bob hartley) wasnt enthused about being added to the team. sounds like there's questions if he'll play too.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
panayiotis

about time

Hey forget that Hitch. How about stepping up and naming Nitty the teams number one goalie. The teams needs to know.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:08 AM
PerennialII

Send a message via MSN to PerennialII
Kipper out and Lehtonen still to play a minute after the injury it would be a real surprise if he'd be passed (perhaps even larger than he missing the pick the first time around ... what were they thinking ... or not).

Old
12-30-2005, 04:42 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennialII
Kipper out and Lehtonen still to play a minute after the injury it would be a real surprise if he'd be passed (perhaps even larger than he missing the pick the first time around ... what were they thinking ... or not).
The way he has been playing, he should be the starter for Finland hands down.

Nobody has any idea of how Lehtonen is going to play since he hasn't played all season.

Besides, I think I read on the Atlanta board that Lehtonen is going to change his style of play to put less stress on his groin. Who knows how long it will take him to adapt to that style and how effective he will be.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:48 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
The way he has been playing, he should be the starter for Finland hands down.

Nobody has any idea of how Lehtonen is going to play since he hasn't played all season.

Besides, I think I read on the Atlanta board that Lehtonen is going to change his style of play to put less stress on his groin. Who knows how long it will take him to adapt to that style and how effective he will be.
We will have plenty of time to see how Lehtonen plays before the olympics so it would be silly to name a starter right now. He should get the next start and they'll go from there.

Old
12-30-2005, 05:04 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
We will have plenty of time to see how Lehtonen plays before the olympics so it would be silly to name a starter right now. He should get the next start and they'll go from there.
Let's see if he can not get injured after 1 game and then we can "go from there".

Even if Lehtonen comes back and plays well, the fact that Niittymaki has been doing it all season long should account for something (not to mention that Nittymaki beat Lehtonen head to head last season in the Calder Cup finals).

Old
12-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Steve L*

Id rather Lehtonen start. The last thing we need is Nitty getting and injury and having to go with rebound Rob as the starter.

Closed Thread