HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semmy instead of Bergy tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Please tell me that was a joke...
No that wasn't a joke. I'm getting really fed up with all the name-calling. How would you like it if someone called you an absolute clown. Like it or not but the players, coaches and management are human being and should be treated as such. There's no need for name-calling at any time.

10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
No that wasn't a joke. I'm getting really fed up with all the name-calling. How would you like it if someone called you an absolute clown. Like it or not but the players, coaches and management are human being and should be treated as such. There's no need for name-calling at any time.
gimme a break. If i was a coach, I'd be completely prepared for people to call me an absolute clown, it goes with the territory. And if ya make what people think is an irrational, possibly team-hurting decision, people are gonna dog you for it.

What's with my luck lately......maybe LMHF#2 will tell ya what happened at the game last night....ya try and dog a player, and ya wind up with someone who happens to be personally offended, now, in a crowd of 17k, that's just bad luck.

Old
10-17-2003, 03:42 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I guess it makes sense.
With the Av's arsenal of forwards, its better to have a big steady d-man than a small hyperactive one. Bergeron has actually played decent and I think he will stick with the club....Cross signed a long term contract so he's not going anywhere. :mad:

Old
10-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Oiltalk

Does it really matter? Either the Oilers are hanging on to their heals in a close game or Colorado will blow them out. I doub't Bergeron would make that big of an impact in this case. Time to get Semenov in and see what he can do.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Silver

Quote:
What I want to know is how Ann Landers wandered onto our message board.

Totally agree, our coach is an absolute clown. I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing Cross on the powerplay....

Old
10-17-2003, 09:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
To me this is a move to try to avoid a blow-out and not a move to give the team the best chance to win. Cross hasn't shown enough to warrent sitting your future on the blueline for an extended amount of time. Bergeron has been our best blue-line, and if he hasn't earned his spot, then NOBODY has.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
wow...tlak abbout being a littrle offendeed....he can saty all he wants about macT...IMO mact is an absolute slown for sittin bergeron...lets sit one of our top dmen as of late for a guy who hasnt played yet when someone like cross is playing bad...hmmm it really makes no sennce...

Old
10-17-2003, 10:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
What I want to know is how Ann Landers wandered onto our message board.

Totally agree, our coach is an absolute clown. I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing Cross on the powerplay....
there ya go way to be...HEY MACT YOU ARE A CLOWN!! :clown: seriously it makes no sence to sit one of our top dman so far.....

Quote:
What's with my luck lately......maybe LMHF#2 will tell ya what happened at the game last night....ya try and dog a player, and ya wind up with someone who happens to be personally offended, now, in a crowd of 17k, that's just bad luck.
i know eh...you make fun of ferguson...and then his cousin comes yelling at you trying to pick a fight with you...i wonder if he posts here? hmmm...anyways we were calling ferguson his real name "Old and Slow" and for some reason his cousin sitting right in front of us gets offened sheeeeeesh

PS sorry about the spellling...

Old
10-17-2003, 10:21 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
there ya go way to be...HEY MACT YOU ARE A CLOWN!! :clown: seriously it makes no sence to sit one of our top dman so far.....

i know eh...you make fun of ferguson...and then his cousin comes yelling at you trying to pick a fight with you...i wonder if he posts here? hmmm...anyways we were calling ferguson his real name "Old and Slow" and for some reason his cousin sitting right in front of us gets offened sheeeeeesh

PS sorry about the spellling...
You know you can say all you want about Fergy, but he's been 1/2 of our best defensive pairing so far this year, so he's doing something right!!!! He's been REALLY solid so far this year, and thats what we need to stick beside Bergy

Old
10-17-2003, 10:23 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
You know you can say all you want about Fergy, but he's been 1/2 of our best defensive pairing so far this year, so he's doing something right!!!! He's been REALLY solid so far this year, and thats what we need to stick beside Bergy
He hasnt been anything special and has been caughht outt of position so many times...He has been bailed out by the post...i can already count about 4 times where he was the cause of a guy hitting post....

Old
10-18-2003, 07:00 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Just another example of going with a veteran (Cross/Ferguson) over a rookie (Bergy).
Just another example of NOT opting for TWO young ones, I think. I'd be surprised if, at this point in the season, both of Bergeron and Semenov draw in without an injury to one of the vets.

Speculating here.

The fact that Bergeron was playing well may mean that MacT will just pick the opposition for Bergeron and Semenov where he feels they can work on their specific games (rather than trying to be too much at once). I.e., Bergeron is poorly matched to play against Colorado as compared to (say) Buffalo.

Given this theory and the opposition, Semenov is being told to concentrate on the stay-at-home routine. And Bergeron is being looked at for outlets and PP output. Given Semenov's size and Bergeron's skill set, this seems like a reasonable thing to do. In both cases, Ferguson is actually a pretty good partner/foil.

This seems pre-ordained. And sensible.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Just another example of NOT opting for TWO young ones, I think. I'd be surprised if, at this point in the season, both of Bergeron and Semenov draw in without an injury to one of the vets.

Speculating here.

The fact that Bergeron was playing well may mean that MacT will just pick the opposition for Bergeron and Semenov where he feels they can work on their specific games (rather than trying to be too much at once). I.e., Bergeron is poorly matched to play against Colorado as compared to (say) Buffalo.

Given this theory and the opposition, Semenov is being told to concentrate on the stay-at-home routine. And Bergeron is being looked at for outlets and PP output. Given Semenov's size and Bergeron's skill set, this seems like a reasonable thing to do. In both cases, Ferguson is actually a pretty good partner/foil.

This seems pre-ordained. And sensible.
I am a real fan of breaking in players slowly. If you look at the oilers track record for developing players they are best at easing a player into the lineup and letting them get comfortable with about 50 games or so their 1st full season. You just have to look at Comrie, Smyth, Hesmky as examples of players they eased in and who have been sucessful because of it. I think the NHL is such a big jump from otherr places player shave played it is a good idea to let the player watch the action and see what they need to do and not do to be sucessful. I like the continuity of letting the vets who know the leage play more and only have one rook to baby sit at a time. If Bergeron keep playing like he has i think he will be a real god 5-6 d-man who qb's the pp. I am also a fan of sitting Semenov for a period of a few games like the oil did to "punish" him for coming to camp out of shape. If you think back the oil would do that to Fuhr every couple of season's when he came is to camp fat as well, and that didn't seem to hurt his career

Old
10-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Yanner39

You just don't bench one of our best defensemen of the first four games, bottom line. If he's struggling fine. If not what message does that send him.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:10 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You just don't bench one of our best defensemen of the first four games, bottom line. If he's struggling fine. If not what message does that send him.
I couldn't agree more

Old
10-18-2003, 11:56 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Calling people names can get you into trouble. Goes with the territory, no?

Fergy may be old and slow, but he's still playing in the NHL - what do you guys do again?

I gotta go with Oilers89 on this one.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Oilers4life

vCash:
If this rumor is true, he is a complete moron. I cannot believe that he is taking out our most consistent puck moving Defencemen and and not moving out our worst(Cory Cross). He wants to play the Av's physically am I right? You can't bully a team you idiot, you have to beat on the score sheet. Say it isn't so Mac T, tell me you aren't a complete idiot.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus

Fergy may be old and slow, but he's still playing in the NHL - what do you guys do again?

Oilers89 was talking about LMHF#1 calling MacT a clown...that was just my drunk rambelling last night that made pretty much no sence...so disregard what was said last night haha

Old
10-18-2003, 12:19 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

There's that "at least he's in the NHL" line again....

Old
10-18-2003, 12:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
There's that "at least he's in the NHL" line again....
that stupid old cliche eh....

Old
10-18-2003, 01:34 PM
kraigus

Quote:
that stupid old cliche eh....
Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Fergie's a better dman than the three of us put together. I mean, feel free to call him names if you like, just don't be surprised if people get upset - particularly if you're at a game where they just may have relatives in attendance.

Name-calling is why I left Usenet, there was too much of that foolishness going on there. I want to read posts about the Oilers, not about people competing to see who can come up with the most childish name to call somebody. To each his own, I guess.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Fergie's a better dman than the three of us put together. I mean, feel free to call him names if you like, just don't be surprised if people get upset - particularly if you're at a game where they just may have relatives in attendance. .
i never commented saying i was better...i pay good money to go to oiler games to see the best players in the world play and with MY money i want to see the best possible product my favorite organization can possibly put out on the ice. If i dont think Ferguson is the best option of course i want my opinion to be heard....it just makes sence anyone would

Old
10-18-2003, 01:42 PM
kraigus

Quote:
i never commented saying i was better...i pay good money to go to oiler games to see the best players in the world play and with MY money i want to see the best possible product my favorite organization can possibly put out on the ice.
Fair enough, but I fail to see how calling people names, either here or at the games, helps the situation at all. It's not productive, and pisses us old guys off.

I guess if it helps you blow steam off, fine, but same as at the game, expect to get nagged about it (or just plain not read/replied to).

Old
10-18-2003, 01:48 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:

What do they do - in case you haven't figured it out they go to games and help pay for Ferguson's salary.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:50 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Fair enough, but I fail to see how calling people names, either here or at the games, helps the situation at all. It's not productive, and pisses us old guys off.

I guess if it helps you blow steam off, fine, but same as at the game, expect to get nagged about it (or just plain not read/replied to).
Maybe Kevin Lowe reads this board daily and takes our input into account ok maybe not but you never know...and if you pay alot of money for something such as season tickets you get mad when someone does something boneheaded...making fun of them makes you feel better (at least in my case it does)...Do you know how boring oiler games would be without the idiots like me yelling things? Watching games in silence just isnt fun...

Quote:
Also i must be doing something right if i can afford oiler season tickets without having to worry about money....

Old
10-18-2003, 08:11 PM
kraigus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
What do they do - in case you haven't figured it out they go to games and help pay for Ferguson's salary.
Oh yes, thank you for reminding me why I stopped reading online forums. "We pay so any lousy behaviour on our part is excused."

Right.

Notice how the highly respected people here, such as lowetide, jimharnock, and GuyF, never result to name calling.

Now consider some of the reasons *why* they may be highly respected.

Closed Thread