HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Allen's play so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 10:03 AM
jeffbrown

vCash: 500
Allen's play so far

What do you folks think of his play so far?

Like I've said before I'm an Allen backer, but in his few games this year he still looks shaky. When he goes back to pick up the puck in his own zone, I often see him bodied off the puck and we end up getting hemmed in. His passes, though, are solid, but only when he has a clear lane. I don't find he has that much puck handling ability (not that I expected to anyways given his reputation).

Old
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Yammer

Hm. I see a player with excellent passing and a long range on the stick. I'd like to see him playing meaner, is all. He should be cross-checking guys in the helmet and then asking them what they plan to do about it.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:32 AM
jeffbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer
Hm. I see a player with excellent passing and a long range on the stick. I'd like to see him playing meaner, is all. He should be cross-checking guys in the helmet and then asking them what they plan to do about it.
Haha..good one. I agree!!! Although I have seen him working over guys in the corner.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:10 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrown
What do you folks think of his play so far?

Like I've said before I'm an Allen backer, but in his few games this year he still looks shaky. When he goes back to pick up the puck in his own zone, I often see him bodied off the puck and we end up getting hemmed in. His passes, though, are solid, but only when he has a clear lane. I don't find he has that much puck handling ability (not that I expected to anyways given his reputation).
Well, I wouldn't say Allen being knocked off the puck was a consistant thing. I happened a couple of times, but overall I think he is coming along and losing the akward fear that some players exhibit when they are afraid of doing something wrong.

The guy has a cannon of a shot though, and it does seem fairly accurate. I think Allen will have a good year, especially since Crawford seems to trust him in all situations. heh. Didn't we even see a pairing of Sopel and Allen against the Wings?

Old
10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
ping

I thought he's been playing fairly well actually. He's one of the few Canucks will will mix it up in the corners, in front of the net, even after the whistle a little. In fact I've liked his play more than a few other Canucks d-men.

I want to see him get some 2nd unit PP time with Ohlund.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:46 PM
galiano

[QUOTE=jeffbrown]What do you folks think of his play so far?
QUOTE]

What little we've seen so far ? - I think he has looked steadier than Malik and made less glaring errors than Sopel. Play him with Ohlund and he'd look great. I only hope Crawford gives him lots of ice time 'cause he has top 4 potential.

I just hope Allen doesn't challenge Laraque again. You gotta admire his nerve but he just can't fight and the real heavyweights like Laraque could seriously hammer Allen.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Allen's finally starting to throw his weight around, and it's having good results. He needs to go to fighting school though--he's got ideal size, but he's a terrible scrapper. His hitting game is definitely improving, and it seems when he's given more responsibility he's better than when he's receiving less. He's made less glaring errors than say, Sopel, but the errors are still there. Nonetheless, he's improving. And I must say I enjoy seeing him dish out hits.

~Canucklehead~

10-17-2003, 03:18 PM
nazzy19o

Send a message via MSN to nazzy19o Send a message via Yahoo to nazzy19o
To me he's kind of invisable on the ice, but that doesnt mean that he is playing bad. He just doesnt stand out as much as someone. Which could be a good thing he could either stand out like Jovo, a good defenseman who can help out with offense, or Sopel, who constantly gives up the puck.

Old
10-17-2003, 03:38 PM
Edler Statesman*

I'm a fan of Allen.. he has the best outlet pass on the whole team in my opinion. He'll get a lot of experience this season, and if nothing else he'll be nice trade bait.

Old
10-18-2003, 04:50 PM
hackey

In the past he was slow and couldn't turn worth a darn. Looks like he's better this year.

Old
10-20-2003, 06:11 AM
NYVanfan

He knocked Hatcher out for a few months. That's good enough for me.

Old
10-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
So, the media should have instead said: "Mr. Hatcher... meet Mr. Allen." ? :p

Old
10-20-2003, 06:44 AM
jeffbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
He did? I didn't see the play. I thought I heard on the play it was Keane. But if you say it was Allen, then it must be! Thanks

Old
10-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrown
He did? I didn't see the play. I thought I heard on the play it was Keane. But if you say it was Allen, then it must be! Thanks
4-6 months to be exact; torn ligaments and all. The play seemed harmless enough though. Go figure. Maybe Hatch is just getting worn down b/c of his style of play. Brittle bones syndrome.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:01 AM
PigPen

That was a strange yet harmless looking play that blew out Hatcher's ACL. I don't understand how he could have torn his acl like that.

Anyways, at least from what I saw in the Detroit game Allen looked good. Not great, but good. He threw his weight around and kept the crease clear, made some good hits and generally played a steady all around game. He'll never be a flashy puck rushing defenseman. Just a steady, physical defensive D-man which is just fine.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:04 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
I thought the hit looked remarkably similiar to Yzermans hit on Pronger, but not quite as low. Just a good hip check on a player who just had his weight on the wrong leg. Caught a blade or something. Blake does hits like that every game, and I can't recall anyone actually being injured.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:40 PM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
I thought the hit looked remarkably similiar to Yzermans hit on Pronger, but not quite as low. Just a good hip check on a player who just had his weight on the wrong leg. Caught a blade or something. Blake does hits like that every game, and I can't recall anyone actually being injured.
That's what I was thinking too. Might've had his skate in a rut or something. It means less puck rushing for Lidstrom now.

Closed Thread