HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. John's Maple Leafs Game 4: Preview and Review: Oct. 16th, 2003

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 04:59 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

vCash: 500
St. John's Maple Leafs Game 4: Preview and Review: Oct. 16th, 2003

It is Thursday, October 16th, 2003.

The Hershey Bears (1-0-1-0) and the St. John's Maple Leafs (1-2-0-0) are back in action tonight at Mile One Stadium. Game Time is 6:05pm Eastern (7:35pm Newfoundland Time).

The Leafs are coming off of a tough 5-4 loss in their home opener that saw them blow a three-goal third period lead and sent 6,247 fans home shocked and disappointed. The Leafs will look to rebound and play a full 60-minutes tonight and come away with a victory.

The Bears with the win improve to 1-0-1-0 on the season, both games on the road. The Bears are 4th in the North Division.

Bears Leading Scorer:
Shane Willis 3-1-4 (Tied 5th in AHL Scoring)
Gavin Morgan 2-1-3
Steve Brule 2-1-3
Charlie Stephens 1-2-3

Bears Goaltending Stat's:
Peter Budja 1-0-1 with a 3.84 GAA and a .881 SPCT

Bears PIM Leader:
Gavin Morgan 8 PIM

Bears Notes:
Special Teams:
PP 4 for 12 33.33%
PK 4 PPGA 9 TSH 55.56%
2 SHGA 0 SHGF

The Leafs with the loss last night drop to 1-2-0-0 on the season. The Leaf are 0-1-0-0 at Mile One Stadium and 1-1-0-0 on the road. Through three games the Leafs are Tied for 3th in the North Division.

Leafs Leading Scorers:
Mike Brown 1-2-3
Brad Leeb 1-2-3
Kyle Wellwood 1-2-3

Leafs Goaltending Stat's:
Sebastien Centomo 1-1-0 with a 4.59 GAA and a .857 SPCT
Jamie Hodson 0-1-0 with a 5.91 GAA and a .818 SPCT

Leafs PIM Leader:
Marc Moro 21 PIM

Leaf Notes:
Special Teams:
PP 5 for 13 38.46%
PK 7 PPGA 17 TSH 63.16%
SHGF 2 SHGA 0

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
10-16-2003, 07:50 AM
russ4king

Keep up the great work! I am an avid Leafs fan, and follow the Baby Leafs through theahl.com, but it is very nice to have a synapse of each game rather than just a box score.

Just to let you know, your efforts are appreciated.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Leafs down 1-0 after 2 periods

Old
10-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
LEAFS LOSE 1-0

:mad: :mad:

Old
10-16-2003, 06:23 PM
sjmapleleafsfan

Game Review

Hershey Bears 1
St. John's Maple Leafs 0

Bears Shutout Leafs, Budaj Perfect, Bears Sweep Series.

The Bears and Leafs played a scoreless opening period Thursday night at Mile One. The Bears outshot the Leafs 10-8 in the first period. Not a bad period of hockey.

The Bears managed to get a puck past Sebastien Centomo to take a 1-nothing lead. The Bears goal came off the stick of Brad Laren, his 2nd of the season, with the lone assist to Eric Perrin at the 5:49 mark. Shots in the second period were 14-9 in favor of the Leafs, 22-19 in favor of the Leafs through 40 minutes.

The Leafs outshot the Bears in the third period but failed to score. The shots in the third period were 13-4 in favor of the Leafs. The Leafs held the edge in shots in the game by a count of 35-23.

I did not get the 3 Stars or the GCHWP.

Leaf Notes:
The Leafs are now 1-3-0-0 on the season.
The Leafs drop to 0-2-0-0 at Mile One.
Centomo drops to 1-2-0 on the season, 22 saves.
The Bears went 0-2 on the PP.
The Leafs went 0-6 on the PP.

Next Action: Saturday, October 18th, 2003 against the Manitoba Moose at Mile One Stadium

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
10-17-2003, 06:03 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

they lost again eh.
is coliaicovo hurt?

Old
10-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Doug Evinou

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
they lost again eh.
is coliaicovo hurt?
colaiacovo banged up his knee in the first game against manitoba, but may be ready for the w/e..

some other things i've noticed so far:

pierre hedin had his strongest game yesterday. he has a lot of poise with the puck, and skates well. he'll probably need most of the season in the ahl before he's ready to contribute in toronto though.

kyle wellwood continues to be a real sparkplug on offense ... creating scoring chances consistently.... combines with nathan barrett and josh holden to give the team a good scoring line. wellwood could be ready to make the jump by next year if he continues to play at this rate.

chris chartier is a bit of a disappointment so far in his role as powerplay quarterback. brendan bell has been paired with him most of the time.

harold druken figures he's still at least two weeks away, but feels good. his addition will be a huge boost to the offense.

jeff daw has been a positive influence so far. only one goal so far, but has had many chances.

david turon has been used sparingly so far, but has done alright the few times he's got on the ice.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:24 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Just so everyone knows, the next game (on Sunday vs the Moose) will be broadcast nationally on Sportsnet at 2:30 pm EST.

Definately look forward to watching some of the kids out there.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Evinou
kyle wellwood continues to be a real sparkplug on offense ... creating scoring chances consistently.... combines with nathan barrett and josh holden to give the team a good scoring line. wellwood could be ready to make the jump by next year if he continues to play at this rate.
I must I was a big Fan of Wellwood's...was very happy when he was selected by the Leafs..and enjoyed reading the Box scores in the OHL ...

I am quite surprised how well he made the adjustment to the AHL.. He has done far better than expected.. Being very offensively gifted yet staying away from the Physical side as his Zero PM's last year would dictate...I thought they would intimidate him in the AHL and his progress would be slow.. Similar to say Cereda was...

I am glad and surprised by your report that he may be NHL Material..and with a Leafs team after a CBA Stike year turnover, young players like Wellwood will be a key..

Old
10-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Doug Evinou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I must I was a big Fan of Wellwood's...was very happy when he was selected by the Leafs..and enjoyed reading the Box scores in the OHL ...

I am quite surprised how well he made the adjustment to the AHL.. He has done far better than expected.. Being very offensively gifted yet staying away from the Physical side as his Zero PM's last year would dictate...I thought they would intimidate him in the AHL and his progress would be slow.. Similar to say Cereda was...

I am glad and surprised by your report that he may be NHL Material..and with a Leafs team after a CBA Stike year turnover, young players like Wellwood will be a key..
i'm surprised by how quick he's gotten out of the gate as well... i thought it would take longer for him to make an impact...that being said, he still has to improve certain aspects of his game before he can make the jump such as his over-all defensive play... it's good to see that his strengths in the OHL (face-offs, offensive play) have translated well to the AHL...i think that Wellwood's determination and character sometimes gets lost by the fact he had 0PIM last year... ppl like to stereotype him as a soft player... but the truth is he is a driven young man who has worked really hard on his conditioning the last two years...and is as competitive as anyone else out there.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:25 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ4king
Keep up the great work! I am an avid Leafs fan, and follow the Baby Leafs through theahl.com, but it is very nice to have a synapse of each game rather than just a box score.

Just to let you know, your efforts are appreciated.
russ4king,
Thanks russ4king. I enjoy doing game previews and reviews of the St. John's Maple Leafs games. Hopefully the readers here enjoy them as well.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
10-17-2003, 10:17 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

3 questions:

when do they come to toronto to play the roadrunners ?
i'd like to see them

who are the fastest forwards on the sjm ?

where is druken ?

Old
10-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Doug Evinou

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
3 questions:

when do they come to toronto to play the roadrunners ?
i'd like to see them

who are the fastest forwards on the sjm ?

where is druken ?
1. check www.theahl.com for schedules and a link to their home page - www.sjmapleleafs.ca.

2. druken is by far the team's fastest forward ... after that leeb is probably the next fastest.

3. druken had two shoulder surgeries this summer... he's about two/three weeks away.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:28 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think we should call up leeb and dump belak
we need his speed

Closed Thread