HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

what does Buffulo want for Biron??

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2005, 01:59 PM
shayne

vCash: 500
what does Buffulo want for Biron??

anyone know, i know they turned down a second rd pick earlier in the year from Atlanta

are they looking for a pick, a current roster play or a prospect??

i think montreal would be interested if they had another deal worked out for Theodore( avs and bolts rumors)

what about bulis and a second rd pick in this years draft for Biron

bulis is still young, cheap has speed and is defensively capable as well can pot 15 goals a year maybe 20 with some top line duty

Old
12-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
anyone know, i know they turned down a second rd pick earlier in the year from Atlanta

are they looking for a pick, a current roster play or a prospect??

i think montreal would be interested if they had another deal worked out for Theodore( avs and bolts rumors)

what about bulis and a second rd pick in this years draft for Biron

bulis is still young, cheap has speed and is defensively capable as well can pot 15 goals a year maybe 20 with some top line duty
the rumored 2nd from atlanta was turned down for Noronen. Biron value is very high now. Buffalo has enough Bulis types already. That won't get it done. and i seriously doubt Biron will be traded within the East let alone the same division. IF Biron is traded his most likely destinations would be Van, Col, Edm, or STL.

Old
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Well, a top-4 defenseman who can play right side would be nice. Or a #5/#6 right-sided defenseman with a mid-pick coming Buffalo's way.

For a real quality top-4 D-man, one of the forwards (there's pretty much a glut there) could be packaged with Biron.

Old
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Captain Ron

Who is this Buffulo guy you are speaking of?

Old
12-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Biron value is very high now.
That's only an assumption. If GMs actually review game film, I bet his value is only minimally higher than it was before the winning streak. I think market demand will have a much bigger impact here.

Old
12-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Pay no attention to Takeo. He's the anti-Biron camp.

Pay a high price for Biron. You know you want to.

Old
12-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Namso

would zednik and a 1st round pick do it?

(note i'm not saying the habs give up the 1st, just seeing whether the 3-way avs-hab-sabres deal that was proposed makes sense)

Old
12-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
...a Stanley Cup ring?

It was reported that Regier declined Waddell's trade overture in the late summer since Regier figured his Sabres would be in direct playoff-position competition with the Thrashers. Since Waddell went in other directions, it would seem likely Regier's stance hasn't changed much.

The team needs an upgrade on the right side of the defense. I love Fitzpatrick for his dedication and hard work, but he's just not a long-term solution on their blueline. And they could (like every other playoff team) use a vet forward with some grit and experience for the stretch drive. That forward may need to be a top 6 type if they have to have Briere in for hernia surgery which is a fear.

12-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Steveorama

What if the Canucks sent you Jovanovski for Biron and a 3rd pairing dman?

Old
12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
would zednik and a 1st round pick do it?
For Biron? Overpayment.

A 1st would probably do it.

And Zednik, on his own, would probably do it... (unless he's an UFA at the end of the season...is he? )

Old
12-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama
What if the Canucks sent you Jovanovski for Biron and a 3rd pairing dman?
Jovo's an UFA at the end of the season and is due for a raise.
And if the defenseman is Fitzpatrick then...yeah...

But I wouldn't part with either of McKee/Tallinder/Kalinin/Lydman with Biron for him.

There's a discussion about this in another thread and on the Sabres board. Mixed opinions, to say the least...

Old
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
That's only an assumption. If GMs actually review game film, I bet his value is only minimally higher than it was before the winning streak. I think market demand will have a much bigger impact here.
As far as goalies on the market go, Biron has the greatest value of any not named Luongo or Theodore. He's 28, in his prime, he's a RFA, and makes 2.1 million. For every 5 people who completely overrate him, theres a Takeo who continually underrates him and downplays what he's done.

Old
12-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As far as goalies on the market go, Biron has the greatest value of any not named Luongo or Theodore. He's 28, in his prime, he's a RFA, and makes 2.1 million. For every 5 people who completely overrate him, theres a Takeo who continually underrates him and downplays what he's done.
I don't think Takeo is downplaying Biron at all. His point (which I think is sensible) is that market forces rather than on-ice performance determines trade value.

Old
12-29-2005, 06:06 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

when looking at the sabres roster and prospect pool, i would like to assume we are looking for a top four defenseman in return.

(though biron would look good for montreal and it would be his dream) I don't want him too comfortable.. he is buffalo's friendly naborhood dreamer.

Its hard to gauge what the sabres have with our older players. with dumont kalinin and briere all out(my 3 favorite players) no one really knows what we need to get a win aganist ottawa.

I would do what i could to get an extra first round pick. because it would take a top pairing defenseman to make us solid, and i don't think buffalo will be so lucky. Or look for some first round prospect.

again package biron with roy or max or whatever! just make room for novotny.

Old
12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't think Takeo is downplaying Biron at all. His point (which I think is sensible) is that market forces rather than on-ice performance determines trade value.
market forces coupled with on ice performance IMO. I don't see how you can jsut toss on ice performance out the window? and the market being created by Col and Van (playoff calibur teams with serious goaltending issues) is solid. Biron's perfomance this year increases that market value...a. because he's playing very well and b. because the Sabres don't NEED to trade him. Neither team is going to want to part with a the significant core player(s) and high end prospects it would take to get a Luongo or Theodore. Biron is an affordable, proven, starting netminder who's going into his prime.

Last edited by Jame: 12-29-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old
12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
For Biron? Overpayment.

A 1st would probably do it.

And Zednik, on his own, would probably do it... (unless he's an UFA at the end of the season...is he? )
No, Zednik is cheap. 1.8M$ per year for 2 year.

Old
12-29-2005, 08:10 PM
TheDynasty

Quote:
Biron is an affordable, proven, starting netminder who's going into his prime.
Proven?

Ok, I have no issue with Buffalo fans saying Biron has a higher then average trade value. But like other posters have said it is not because he went on a hot streak. It is because teams like Vancouver, Edmonton, and Colorado (wow all same division) have goaltending vacancies.

What exactly has Biron proven? That he knows how to warm a bench? That he can go on a hot streak only to be so abysmal at other points that he loses the starting job? The guy is just not worth a quality top 4 defender.

And as much as other teams need a goalie, Buffalo is in an awkward situation with three NHL-calibre 'tenders on their squad. I don't understand why a team like Vancouver or Colorado wouldn't look at Noronen instead. Who makes nearly $2 million less, and has had similar success to Biron in the pre-Miller era. Personally I'd take Noronen simply because he would cost a lot less assets. A team with little cap space (like Vancouver or Colorado) would probably view Noronen's contract as a heck of a lot more manageable as well.

Old
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
The Viking Fury

Buffalo needs a defenseman? How about a Biron for Biron swap with the caps? We'll throw in Andrew Cassels or jeff friesen

Old
12-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Biron for Souray?

I could easily see Biron in Montreal.

Old
12-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
market forces coupled with on ice performance IMO. I don't see how you can jsut toss on ice performance out the window? and the market being created by Col and Van (playoff calibur teams with serious goaltending issues) is solid. Biron's perfomance this year increases that market value...a. because he's playing very well and b. because the Sabres don't NEED to trade him. Neither team is going to want to part with a the significant core player(s) and high end prospects it would take to get a Luongo or Theodore. Biron is an affordable, proven, starting netminder who's going into his prime.
Biron's value is exactly what other teams will pay for him. He may be doing well on the ice, but that doesn't change the reality that goaltenders rarely bring fair return.

And, I'm not sure a good couple of months changes the reality that he has never been anymore than a good to very good goalie. Teams like Col and VCR are not going to trade for him looking for him to be the last piece.

I think Takeo is basically correct.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Biron's value is exactly what other teams will pay for him. He may be doing well on the ice, but that doesn't change the reality that goaltenders rarely bring fair return.

And, I'm not sure a good couple of months changes the reality that he has never been anymore than a good to very good goalie. Teams like Col and VCR are not going to trade for him looking for him to be the last piece.

I think Takeo is basically correct.
i have to disagree with respect to Col and Van. a good to very good goalie would be the final piece for a team like COL or VAN. a good to very good goalie would make those teams better. as of right now they are very good clubs with horrible goaltending. an improvement between the pipes may not be the "final" piece, but it would be far and away the most important piece.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDynasty
Proven?

What exactly has Biron proven?
His career record and numbers speak for themselves. most of those numbers coming on a non playoff team.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
i have to disagree with respect to Col and Van. a good to very good goalie would be the final piece for a team like COL or VAN. a good to very good goalie would make those teams better. as of right now they are very good clubs with horrible goaltending. an improvement between the pipes may not be the "final" piece, but it would be far and away the most important piece.
Market value is a far greater equalizer than you seem to be giving it credit for. This summer, the market would bear 3rd or 4th round picks for defensemen of all stripes. Good ones like Markov and Lydman went for little more than average ones like Commodore or even projects. There was little seperating them in value and right now the going rate for most netminders alone is at best a 2nd round pick. That's what market value has been for well-thought of prospects like Denis or Auld or more established netminders like Potvin or Boucher. It's not going to change.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
PecaFan

Biron may be getting some wins, but his numbers *aren't* very good. .896 SP and 3.09 GAA. He's a middle of the road goalie, pretty much equivalent to a Cloutier, with a worse team so he historically has fewer wins.

I fail to see why so many here think his value is so high, and specifically, why the Canucks would be interested.

Old
12-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Market value is a far greater equalizer than you seem to be giving it credit for. This summer, the market would bear 3rd or 4th round picks for defensemen of all stripes. Good ones like Markov and Lydman went for little more than average ones like Commodore or even projects. There was little seperating them in value and right now the going rate for most netminders alone is at best a 2nd round pick. That's what market value has been for well-thought of prospects like Denis or Auld or more established netminders like Potvin or Boucher. It's not going to change.
The moves you mentioned and the market at the time is completely irrelevant now. In the offseason teams were fighting to get under the cap. Moving players for anything they could just to get ready for the season. it's a completely different market now. unless you think Lydman is only worth a 3rd rounder.

I completely understand that the Market value for Biron is a 2nd roudner or a moderate prospect, or even a salary wapping mid tier player. BUT. The Sabres are in a unique situation. They are in no need to move Biron, but he is probably one of the most valued commodities that are "on the market". Im sure Regier values the depth Biron brings more than a 2nd round pick or a prospect for the future. expecially with playoff hopes this year. And the injuries in Buffalo only make Regier more certain that Biron is worth more to the Sabres than any pick or prospect this year. I bet Regier could get relatively the same market value next offseason.

So my point is... fans may not think Biron is worth what Regier will demand. but the longer the goaltending troubles last in the west the closer certain GMs may come to giving Regier what he wants. Some GM may feel that Biron can be their franchise netminder. i don't think anyone had dreams of franchise netminders when they made moves for guys like Boucher, Potvin, Auld, etc. Do you honestly think that Darcy cares at all about what Biron's so called "Market value" is? he's a notoriously stubborn GM and has no reason or need to move Biron. so the market IMO is irrelevant. Darcy will either get what he wants or Biron will stay a Sabre. i dont think Darcy wants a 2nd for Biron. Do you?

If he wants to move Noronen for a 2nd im all for it.

Closed Thread