HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk on a mission

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 08:20 AM
dewsh

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk on a mission

Being a Thrashers fan, I never would've thought that Kovalchuk would carry the team on his shoulders this early. How long will he continue? He's been getting unhumanly TOI (Around 25 min/game), and he's +1 after 6 games. I hope he continues and have Heatley(my favorite player) back ASAP.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
How's his two way game progressing?

Old
10-22-2003, 08:26 AM
dewsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
I get no freaking ATL games on TV, so I can't tell you with my observation. But based on the fact of what I am reading, he's doing awesome in that department. I doubt he'd be +1 after 6 games with 25 min/game ice time he gets if he was the defensive liability. I think Harley is doing a very good job with him. He's still young, so I am afraid that he might lose that focus soon or later in the season. We can only see what's going to happen.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Pretty good, I've seen him on the PK quite a bit.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

On a side note, he loves the one-timer from the left slot...

Old
10-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
He backchecks about ten times more than he used to. In the games I saw:

Defensive effort: A-
Defensive hockey sense: B-

Kovalchuk this year and the next few will make a LOT of people look dumb. It's already started. Where is the clown who compared him to Petr Klima?

The scary thing is that, in a couple of occasions, I thought Kovalchuk didn't play all that well OFFENSIVELY and he still racks up goals. He is a machine. Big time player as well in clutch time, as usual.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Colorado_Starsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

Kovalchuk this year and the next few will make a LOT of people look dumb. It's already started. Where is the clown who compared him to Petr Klima?

The scary thing is that, in a couple of occasions, I thought Kovalchuk didn't play all that well OFFENSIVELY and he still racks up goals. He is a machine. Big time player as well in clutch time, as usual.
Kovalchuk can make his stamp this year, without Heatley.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Make that "Kovalchuk *and* Stu Barnes on a mission"...

Man, Stu Barnes, of all people, currently tied with the next pavel Bure in goals. 6 Games or not.. Stu Barnes..

Old
10-22-2003, 09:50 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

I'm glad he's doing so well at both ends of the ice right now. I think many people seem to put their blinders on when talking about Kovalchuk. He's two years younger than Heatley, but when Heatley was the one that had the breakout season last year, many forgot about Ilya. Getting 40 goals in todays NHL at his age is a very rare accomplishment. Hopefully, his quick start will get people noticing him again. I'm not going to complain though, I managed to pick him up in my hockey pool in the fifth round, so if he stays under the radar next year as well, it's fine by me.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God

Man, Stu Barnes, of all people, currently tied with the next pavel Bure in goals. 6 Games or not.. Stu Barnes..
Dude, how is Kovalchuk the next Pavel Bure? If you mean strictly in terms of goal scoring ability, then yeah - Kovalchuk is up there with the best pure goal scorers in the league. But other than that, they styles have nothing in common.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:04 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsh
Being a Thrashers fan, I never would've thought that Kovalchuk would carry the team on his shoulders this early. How long will he continue? He's been getting unhumanly TOI (Around 25 min/game), and he's +1 after 6 games. I hope he continues and have Heatley(my favorite player) back ASAP.

25 minutes a game for a player of his ability isn't too much. I'm sure if you look at the TOI of superstar forwards, especially when in their early to mid-20's isn't much different than 25 minutes a night.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Habsolution

Him getting 25min/game most assuredly give him more of a chance to improve. If Heatley was still there Ilya would probably produce less since he'd probably get less ice time. The tragic Snyder incident might be the best thing for Ilya from a career standpoint alone.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Kovalchuk is indeed a determined player. Another thing I've noticed about him is the absolute intensity with which he plays the game. Anyone else see his reaction to Savard's goal last night to tie the game? Jumped three feet off the ground.

I think it has something to do(as it does with the rest of the team) with the situation of Heatley and Snyder. Kovalchuk is stepping up to help lead the team that lost two big parts, and he's doing a fantastic job. That shows good strength of character.

And it's also nice because I have him in one of my pools. Atta boy, Ilya.

And M=G...:p can you go a single thread without mentioning the Stars?

~Canucklehead~

10-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God

What's so surprising? We've seen his scoring touch quite a few times here in Pittsburgh, especially on the PP.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
And M=G...:p can you go a single thread without mentioning the Stars?

~Canucklehead~
To be fair, I think I was the first person to make a Kovalchuk-Barnes comparison on here. :p If you look for one of the older Ilya threads on the main board, I said Barnes would be his main competition for the Rocket Richard trophy.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

A testament to the coaching prowess of one Bob Hartley. The Avs could use him back right about now... :mad:

Old
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
A testament to the coaching prowess of one Bob Hartley. The Avs could use him back right about now... :mad:
Also a testament to the fact that Curt Fraser was one of the worst coaches in NHL history.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
You guys are speaking of how much fire he has in the game. Do you think he is now captain material? As opposed to before when people thought otherwise. Who is the captain now? McEachern?

Old
10-22-2003, 11:17 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
You guys are speaking of how much fire he has in the game. Do you think he is now captain material? As opposed to before when people thought otherwise. Who is the captain now? McEachern?
I wouldn't burden him with Captain duties just yet. It may be in his future, but there's no need to rush it. The team has capable veterans who can handle that duty for now, so you may as well let them. Let Ilya focus on meeting his vast potential first.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I wouldn't burden him with Captain duties just yet. It may be in his future, but there's no need to rush it. The team has capable veterans who can handle that duty for now, so you may as well let them. Let Ilya focus on meeting his vast potential first.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I was going to say don't make him into a Lecavalier or a Thornton. But they took a while to develop with the "C" on thier chest. Kovalchuk just kinda exploded onto the scene.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Kovalchuk just kinda exploded onto the scene.
That's even more reason why they should be slow on giving him additional responsibilities. Now that Heatley's gone for the season, he's going to face a lot more pressure, both on the ice and from the media. He's only two years away from coming to North America. He barely spoke any english when he first arrived. He's still a kid, and he's still adapting. He's just doing it very well, but we shouldn't let that confuse on how young this guy really is.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Ilya has always been an emotional player, it has generally gotten in him in trouble on these boards for his goal celebrations. However he also goes nuts when someone else scores a goal as well. He certainly has leadership qualities on the ice, but it takes much more than that to wear a C. He could don the A a time or two this season if we get the injury bug, but I don't see anything more than that for now.

Ilya being the PPQB is what is really moving his game right now. When you consider that Hartley called out his two regular linemates(Piros and Stefan) in the media after the game last night, it is going to be interesting to see just how much more he can do when he has some linemates that can finish chances and set him up in even strength situations.

Defensively he has been better, but there are still plenty of lapses. Ilya and Bob Hartley seem to have a terrific relationship, which can only mean better days ahead.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
Dude, how is Kovalchuk the next Pavel Bure? If you mean strictly in terms of goal scoring ability, then yeah - Kovalchuk is up there with the best pure goal scorers in the league. But other than that, they styles have nothing in common.
You are so wrong.. Their STYLES are similar, Kovalchuk just has size.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Is Hartley a good motivator/speaker? Two things could've happened, the team could have sulked and let the tragedy become a burden, but the opposite has happened. I'm wondering how much the speech of Snyder's father, Waddell, and Hartley have to do with it. Either way, I'm very happy for the ATL org and Ilya.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Also a testament to the fact that Curt Fraser was one of the worst coaches in NHL history.
Word.

Closed Thread