HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Marek Zidlicky for real?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 04:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rangers Fan
Zidlicky was never going to play for the Rangers. He refused to come to North America while the Rangers owned his rights so he was no loss from the Rangers perspective.

Just to clarify, Zidlicky refused to come to the US unless he was given a one way contract. Sather, not wanting to give a one way contract to a player who had never played in North America before, refused to give him that contract.

10-21-2003, 04:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Just to clarify, Zidlicky refused to come to the US unless he was given a one way contract. Sather, not wanting to give a one way contract to a player who had never played in North America before, refused to give him that contract.
What's so funny about that is the amount of money it took to sign Zidlicky. He's only making 500k, at worse he's Lintner.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:45 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Ozzie is right here. Nash didn't ***** to the refs after that hit. It was clean and Nash knew it. Now, Nash got rocked from behind by Orszagh near the boards. The ref was looking right at it and while it could have been called, it wasn't. Nash didn't like it and instead of shifting he went to the refs and complained for 20 seconds leaving his team shorthanded.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:48 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
What's so funny about that is the amount of money it took to sign Zidlicky. He's only making 500k, at worse he's Lintner.

It's amazing he was more fiscally responsible than the Predators on this one. I guess when you are paying busts like Holik, Kaspar, Lindros and co. what the Rag$ pay them, you have to forgoe common sense and pass up on some quality players to save bank.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:07 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
It's amazing he was more fiscally responsible than the Predators on this one. I guess when you are paying busts like Holik, Kaspar, Lindros and co. what the Rag$ pay them, you have to forgoe common sense and pass up on some quality players to save bank.
Speaking of Lindros injured again...such a sham

Old
10-21-2003, 06:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Watch the replay, if you don't believe. I really have no problem with some message board poster not believing in the truth. If it makes you feel better that Nash ***** and moaned while still on the ice, then so be it, whatever rocks your pathetic boat.
I must have been refering to the other incident where Nash got hit. Calm down boy, calm down.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:10 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wiz
Is ZIDLICKY a CALDER favourite with Rutuu, Sejna, and Pitkannen now ?

He does have a 6 game point streak to start off his NHL career !!!!!!! How many rookies have done that ? Anyone ever ?

I think he should be ! Yes, i did just buy him in my fantasy draft ! hee hee
It's still early but we might add 18 years old Patrice Bergeron there.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
sour grapes........
How about that hit from Grand-Pierre on Schabeul in the corner? Rocked the rink, but not a word from Jackets fans. Know why? Because we see big hits every game. Nash getting hit like he did happens in every game he plays, and yet only Preds fans find it fun to point it out everytime. I don't see very many Avs fans pointing to the Blake-Nash-Morris sandwich that happened last year, which was much more impressive than the Zidliky hit.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:54 AM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Speaking of Lindros injured again...such a sham
Yeah because he was injured all year last year ... missed exactly one game ... due to suspension. Lindros was terrible last year, but it wasn't because of injury.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:57 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
How about that hit from Grand-Pierre on Schabeul in the corner? Rocked the rink, but not a word from Jackets fans. Know why? Because we see big hits every game. Nash getting hit like he did happens in every game he plays, and yet only Preds fans find it fun to point it out everytime. I don't see very many Avs fans pointing to the Blake-Nash-Morris sandwich that happened last year, which was much more impressive than the Zidliky hit.

Maybe it happens in every CBJ game where they get crushed open ice style. In Nashville, I can count on both hands how many major open ice hits occured lat year. I remember Eaton floored Forsberg (who went on to score 6 points that game) and that's about it. We are now seeing these hits on a period by period basis.

Listen, if you don't like that Nash got smacked down, just say it. Don't get all upset because Nashville fans are reveling in the fact that our rookie Dman, who alot of naysayers were saying was too small to hit in the NHL, took out a man he gave 5 inches and 20 pounds to.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Not so much "fiscally" responsible as "roster" responsible.. If he gave him the 1 way, without seeing him in action, then he could've been lost for nothing in the waiver draft..

Dunham's been great, and I have no idea where that "lockeroom cancer" comment came from, but the fact is that Sather overpaid in a panic move.. He rode blackburn to the ground, didn't even try to see if one of the other goalies in the system could help out, and sent 3 assets that could have either helped immensly with depth now, or been used more efficiently as trading chips..

I understood Sather not wanting to give Zidlicky the 1 way, and I understand trading for Dunham, but as he's a smug and arogant GM, I'd expect him to have received more for less..

Old
10-21-2003, 08:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Not so much "fiscally" responsible as "roster" responsible.. If he gave him the 1 way, without seeing him in action, then he could've been lost for nothing in the waiver draft..

Dunham's been great, and I have no idea where that "lockeroom cancer" comment came from, but the fact is that Sather overpaid in a panic move.
Wouldn't the Preds have lost him in similar fashion as well?

The Preds took a risk that seemed more in line with what the Rangers could do. And it's paid off significantly.

As for the lockerroom cancer thing, he was always moping around. The team rarely played great in front of him after the first couple of seasons. I think we got tired of his soft play and attitude. He wasn't viewed as a team player, and he would get the weakest injuries and miss 3 weeks. He gets the same injury in NY and he misses one game. There is alot of speculation that the media intensity healed him up quite right. He was just lazy for the Predators and had played his way into the backup role. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the best goaltender stayed back in Nashville.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'd take Vokoun over Dunham 99 out of 100 times..

Old
10-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Shoot the way you talk, Nash is nothing but a pinball

Old
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
BLACKBURN

"I'd take Vokoun over Dunham 99 out of 100 times.."

game 7 of the cup finals? no thanks, Dunny is a game breaker. If he plays well the rags win, bad we lose, our teams sucess hinges on him, thats how important he is to us!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Wouldn't the Preds have lost him in similar fashion as well?

The Preds took a risk that seemed more in line with what the Rangers could do. And it's paid off significantly.

As for the lockerroom cancer thing, he was always moping around. The team rarely played great in front of him after the first couple of seasons. I think we got tired of his soft play and attitude. He wasn't viewed as a team player, and he would get the weakest injuries and miss 3 weeks. He gets the same injury in NY and he misses one game. There is alot of speculation that the media intensity healed him up quite right. He was just lazy for the Predators and had played his way into the backup role. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the best goaltender stayed back in Nashville.
Preds may very well have, and it was a risk they were willing to take.. Unfortunately for Ranger fans, its not the way the Rangers do business.. If Marek came to ranger camp this year, with his one way contract, and played well, but not "amazing" then Sather would have left him unprotected and he would have been gone for nada..

I don't doubt that Nashville kept the goaltender they wanted to keep, and the one that will be paying off for a much longer period of time, but "the best" goalie between the two is still to be determined. Kind of like when the Rangers had to let Beezer go and kept Richter.. You understood the move, and it was mainly due to Richter's potential, but that didn;t mean Beezer was any slouch himself.. I still don't see how Dunham was "not a team player".. From what I've read, even Vokoun has said that Dunham helped him out a lot.. But that's besides the point.. The Rangers are very happy with Dunham and they should be, but I still think they overpaid..

(BTW- I grew up playing with Dunham, we never stayed in touch, so its not like we're "tight" but he always was a quiet kind of kid who's silence was viewed by reticence from those that didn't know him. But when you did know him, he was a damn good guy who was dedicated to honing his craft.. He was injury prone a bit then to, it's that lanky frame...)

Old
10-21-2003, 08:53 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN

game 7 of the cup finals? no thanks, Dunny is a game breaker. If he plays well the rags win, bad we lose, our teams sucess hinges on him, thats how important he is to us!
LOL, and Vokoun isn't the exact same for the Preds?

Old
10-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN

Vokoun does the same for us, and I would say does so on a MUCH more consistent basis.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Vokoun does the same for us, and I would say does so on a MUCH more consistent basis.
Can't really get more consistent than Dunham's play as a Ranger..

But we're all missing the point.. I think fans of both teams would kill just to see either in a game 7 of the first friggin' round!!!!!!

Then we can raise the debate anew...

Old
10-21-2003, 10:05 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:

But we're all missing the point.. I think fans of both teams would kill just to see either in a game 7 of the first friggin' round!!!!!!

I agree here. We would love to have a game 7. Anyways, I think that the move did accomplish positives for both teams in this trade. Nashville gets a solid veteran winger and 2 pretty decent prospects. Rags get a #1 goaltender. I do think Sather did panic a little bit though and did possibly overpay a bit. I think at the time Zidlicky was just a throw in on the deal. I think Kloucek is the guy that was/is key for Poile in the deal as the Preds have been sorely lacking a physical crease clearing D-man. Poile tried to fill that need a couple of years ago by trading the Rat (Ronning) for Jere Karlahti and a 4th. Unfortunatly, Karlahti didn't pan out for us, so it was back to the drawing boards for Poile. In Kloucek, the Preds now potentially have that bruising force they need on the blue-line. Sather on the other hand was, as mentioned before, wearing out Blackburn, and something had to be done, so they acquire Dunham (who has played pretty well for them).
I think the MAIN reason this trade was made from a Preds standpoint is to make room for Vokoun. He was ready to take over the reigns as a #1(and has done a pretty darn good job at it I might add).
BTW, an article was written that some of the Preds players would call Dunham "Prima-Dunham"...it was also written that he would sit away from everyone else and keep to himself. Personally, I think he is a nice guy (met him once) who happens to be shy and to himself, so I don't know if the "locker room cancer" tab has any validity or not.
To sum it up. Both teams "won" the trade as they both got what they needed.... Rags overpaid, but at the time were there any other goaltenders on the market?
Quote:
Personally I would take Vokoun 100times out of 100times.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Another point is Dunham seems to play better when he faces a lot of shots. With the Rangers defense that's never a problem.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

consistent.......dunham....... Go back and look at game 1 and 2 of the season and then look at the last 2 games. Dunham is inconsistent. He will make big saves and keep you in the games, or fail to make those saves and lose by a large margin. Dunham is a good goalie, but I'd feel much safer with Vokoun backing me than Dunham. I will admit that his game has picked up somewhat now that he has joined the Rangers regardless of stats, but here in Nashville I was very frustrated with him especially around the time he was traded.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
consistent.......dunham....... Go back and look at game 1 and 2 of the season and then look at the last 2 games. Dunham is inconsistent. He will make big saves and keep you in the games, or fail to make those saves and lose by a large margin. Dunham is a good goalie, but I'd feel much safer with Vokoun backing me than Dunham. I will admit that his game has picked up somewhat now that he has joined the Rangers regardless of stats, but here in Nashville I was very frustrated with him especially around the time he was traded.
Uh, Dunham didn't play the second game of the season.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Uh, Dunham didn't play the second game of the season.
I think you missed his point. He was stating that his first two games were going to be different than his last two due to his inconsistency.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:48 PM
SmokeyClause

The biggest difference between Dunham and Vokoun is you never look back at Vokoun and say,"Man, he played awful. He let in some pathetic goals." Nashville fans found themselves doing that more and more with Dunham as his stay with Nashville continued. They both will make amazing saves and keep their teams in games they shouldn't. But Dunham will let in the softies. Vokoun just doesn't.

Closed Thread