HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Solutions for Defense

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2005, 01:01 AM
nikolai19

vCash: 500
Solutions for Defense

After some careful thought and looking at the standings, what would you have to say if we were to obtain Brian Leetch via trade? He's making $4 million this year (so at this point, Kings would pick up about $2million) and he's a 37 year old UFA. With the current situation in Boston, which is a meltdown waiting to happen (32 points in 45 games), I think we can pick up Leetch for a defensive prospect and a pick,maybe TJ Fast and a 5th.

This would solve a lot of the issues with the PP as well as depth defensively and I think Boston would buy into it. It's a short term solution (2 years at the most), but it would be an acceptable fit for Miller's absence and when he comes back.

Norstrom-Gleason
Miller-Leetch
Visnovsky-Corvo

Thoughts?

Old
12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
kingsfan25

I'd take Leetch...might be doable too if the B's keep losing....

I'd also take Ken Klee from the Leafs if that were possible...I think he'd be what the team's looking for in terms of just being a very solid defensive option...

Old
12-30-2005, 01:22 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't mind Leetch, but it'd depend on the cost of course.

Old
12-30-2005, 01:24 AM
nikolai19

The only reason I mention Leetch is because of Boston's situation. They are not going to make the playoffs and they are going to shed salary. There are other options of teams like Washington (Brenden Witt), Florida (Sean Hill), Pittsburgh (Dick Tarnstrom), etc.

I picked Leetch because of his age, almost 38, and his salary. He'd be a UFA, but the knowledge that Gleason, Grebeshkov, and a guy like Corvo could get from him would be invaluable.

Old
12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I wouldn't mind Leetch, but it'd depend on the cost of course.
That's the 64k question. But what would Boston expect to get...a 38 year old UFA who has $4 million salary. I don't think they'd get a roster player back but it would take a pretty good prospect (Fast, Baier) or a high pick.

Salary alone makes his value not that high. Boston fan probably will disagree, but him staying there is a waste of his time, and I'd rather see him here than in Dallas or Detroit.

Old
12-30-2005, 01:38 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19
That's the 64k question. But what would Boston expect to get...a 38 year old UFA who has $4 million salary. I don't think they'd get a roster player back but it would take a pretty good prospect (Fast, Baier) or a high pick.

Salary alone makes his value not that high. Boston fan probably will disagree, but him staying there is a waste of his time, and I'd rather see him here than in Dallas or Detroit.
I don't know that it would take a prospect...a pick yeah...but DT would be stupid to give up a good prospect for a 38 year old D-man, no matter what cred his name carries...

Old
12-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Reaper45

Hill is over the Hill, He hasn't done anything this year. I'd prefer Leetch.

Old
12-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Osprey

Leetch is on a one-year contract, so he's very attractive. I'd rather have a young stud with many years left, but if DT is more keen on signing Blake over the Summer, Leetch would be a perfect solution to tide the team over until then. $2M and a pick/prospect is all that Leetch would cost, so I'm all for it. I'm not sure they'd trade him this early (Thornton trade, notwithstanding), but I like the idea. Good one, nicolai.

Old
12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
...but if DT is more keen on signing Blake over the Summer, ....
Blake, boo! Never want him in a Kings uni again, the whiney money grubbing...why I'd rather have Modry and Stumpel back than Rob "take this C offa my chest, I can't use it anymore" Blake.

add Adrian Accoin? Souray? Poti (+8, no matter what NY'ers say, might be of service)? Matvichuk? Sheldon Kanageeser?

Old
12-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Leetch or Witt would make the most sense.

Old
12-30-2005, 11:53 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Blake, boo! Never want him in a Kings uni again, the whiney money grubbing...why I'd rather have Modry and Stumpel back than Rob "take this C offa my chest, I can't use it anymore" Blake.

add Adrian Accoin? Souray? Poti (+8, no matter what NY'ers say, might be of service)? Matvichuk? Sheldon Kanageeser?
don't forget valeri krumudgeon...i hear he's fast

seriously, you guys think kings management will open up their wallet? they're at the threshold as far as salary is concerned and adding leetch will get them to the league cap...

12-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Kick

In the words of the late, great John Lennon; “All we are saying, is give Grebs a chance.”

Or something like that.

Old
12-30-2005, 02:38 PM
funky

I stated at the beginning of the year Leetch would look good here. He still has gas in the tank and could be played with Norstrom.

My Pairings

Leetch Norstrom
Miller Gleason
Vis Corvo

7th Grebs - if Leetch, Vis or Corvo go down
7th Weaver- if the defensive guys go down

Not a Weaver fan but would do for a short stint

Old
12-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Reaper45

The problem is money. We'd have to send some going the other way in any deal we make. Management wont go for adding more money.

Old
12-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
don't forget valeri krumudgeon...i hear he's fast

seriously, you guys think kings management will open up their wallet? they're at the threshold as far as salary is concerned and adding leetch will get them to the league cap...
Not entirely.....Leetch would only cost the Kings about $2 million. So their payroll would be about $37 million. Not exactly at the cap but definitely higher than the budget of $35 million.

Old
12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
The problem is money. We'd have to send some going the other way in any deal we make. Management wont go for adding more money.
This would be $2million we are talking about. I would think that if Bure doesn't come back, they could take his money and put it towards an investment on Leetch. It's worth a gamble.

Old
12-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Reaper45

I like Leetch, but Souray still would be ideal if you ask me. Big shot, mean, can put up points if in the right situation.

Old
12-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What many believe would be a likely trade partner for teams looking for defense is New Jersey. With Rafalski, Martin, White, Matvichuk, Hale, Brown, Albelin and McGillis all under contract, somebody has to go, especially when Elias is set to return as soon as tomorrow.

If the Devils had an option of who to cut loose, it would be McGillis, who cleared waivers and was assigned to Albany. McGillis has a heavy shot from the point and likes to throw his weight around, but Lamoriello panicked big time when Niedermayer signed with Anaheim and he gave McGillis a two year, $4.4M deal and signed Malakhov to a two-year, $3.6M per year deal.

Colin White is set to become an unrestricted free agent, but the Devils may not be interested in moving their most physical pressence on the blueline.

Pittsburgh is stuck with the Gonchar contract and have too many soft, offensive minded defensemen (Gonchar, Tarnstrom and Jackman). Ryan Whitney has become a regular fixture on their defense, so one of their offensive dmen will be moved. The Kings would probably seek a more well-rounded defenseman though with the loss of Aaron Miller.

The Bruins have 9 NHL defensemen when they are all healthy. Boynton and Moran are currently on IR. The additions of Stuart and Tanabe has solidified their defense. The Bruins had a contract dispute with Nick Boynton before signing him, and he is set to become a free agent once again at the end of the season. As suggested earlier in this thread, Brian Leetch could more than likely be moved around the trade deadline, depending on the Bruins position in the standings and the high demand for a puck moving defenseman by teams making a push for the playoffs. Don't be surprised if Leetch ends up finishing his career with the Rangers.

The two names that I have high on my personal wishlist of defensemen to acquire is Greg de Vries (Atlanta) and Sheldon Souray (Montreal). The Thrashers are still in the playoff picture, standing at 9th, three points behind the 8th place Lightning. If they are out of playoff contention, they may look to move de Vries and make some room for an injection of youth on their defense next year with Braydon Coburn. There is a year remaining on de Vries' contract (he signed a 4 year, $13M deal with the Rangers on July 14, 2003).

The Habs aren't exactly deep with defensemen, but Souray has struggled and may need a change of scenery, especially at a location where he would be closer to his children and not have to shuttle back and forth from LA to Montreal every other day-off. Souray signed a 3-year deal with Montreal in 2004 and will become unrestricted in 07.

All of the names mentioned above are with Eastern Conference clubs, so it is possible for them to be likely trading partners with the Kings. The only issue is the demand for defensemen and if the Kings can make such a significant addition (in salary) to their roster. With Aaron Miller out for an unspecified amount of time, the addition of a strong top 4 defenseman is urgent. Dave Taylor suggested that the Kings would like to add a 3-4 dman during the off-season, and he never did. That is a need he still has yet to address.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Kearney

I also think Tampa is going to be making some moves soon. Kubina could be dealt. Love to see him in a Kings sweater.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Aki Berg

1) Build time machine
2) Go back to March 13th, 2001
3) Don't trade Aki

Old
12-30-2005, 04:39 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg
1) Build time machine
3) Don't trade Aki
now i'm NOT Cammalleri's biggest fan, but i'd do that trade three more times!

Old
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg
1) Build time machine
3) Don't trade Aki
Sorry Aki, I'd still do that trade, but I would still be totally open to bringing you back as our # 6 d-man. Bring back Aki!

Old
12-30-2005, 08:05 PM
ILuvLA

Sheldon Souray. I'd kill to have him in a Kings uniform.
2nd choice would be Witt or White. However, given that the Devils lost both Stevens & Niedemeyer, I doubt that White's going anywhere.
If DT even thinks about bringing Blake back, he should be shot. Blake is a shell of the player he once was. Age has caught up with him.

Old
12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Sheldon Souray. I'd kill to have him in a Kings uniform.
2nd choice would be Witt or White. However, given that the Devils lost both Stevens & Niedemeyer, I doubt that White's going anywhere.
If DT even thinks about bringing Blake back, he should be shot. Blake is a shell of the player he once was. Age has caught up with him.
Agree completely!

Also with ZD, on Souray.

All this Leetch talk is never going to happen........nor do I want to see it. His best years are behind him, and he's an expensive addition. With the way this club has been building in the last four to five years.....I just don't see it happening. Souray, Witt, and White would be more long term and a smarter move.
We've never been a rental type team anyways, and when we have it's failed.

Closed Thread