HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens-Ducks GDT

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn

The Kings are going to have Potvin on Saturday and The Ducks will have Raycroft
If Raycroft plays like he did against the Stars, Anaheim will be 0-5.

I am happy to hear that the Kings will be facing the cat, high glove side Ziggy.

BTW, KJ, I can only tolerate going to the Pond when the Kings or Sens are there. The childish crap, mascots, music, contests etc. just irk me. I want to watch hockey, not worry about other crap. But hey, I guess they gotta market to their fanbase.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

man......Giguere can't do it all.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
He's on his 5th team in 6 years for a reason

Yeah but it is not because of the reason i am reading between the lines of here.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:57 PM
j. knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I have to admit I'm chuckling a bit over this 0-4 start out there...sorry, gang. It's just too easy...
After last year's playoffs, I'm sure you Wings fans are pretty familiar with 0-4 starts.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:27 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
No matter how much you chuckle it still doesn't change the result of last season's series does it?
Oh, did the Ducks win something last year? This is the same stuff that Minny fans throw at the Canucks. All of us ended up losers last year. It makes no difference if it was in the first round, 2nd round or Cup finals. Only Jersey fans have the right to talk smack about last year. For everybody else, it's this year that counts.

So yeah, I'm enjoying this 0-4 start. It brings up warm fuzzy memories of all the posters in the summer asking why Anaheim didn't get any respect, why did nobody pick them to win the division, etc.

Old
10-18-2003, 02:30 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Oh, did the Ducks win something last year? This is the same stuff that Minny fans throw at the Canucks. All of us ended up losers last year. It makes no difference if it was in the first round, 2nd round or Cup finals. Only Jersey fans have the right to talk smack about last year. For everybody else, it's this year that counts.

So yeah, I'm enjoying this 0-4 start. It brings up warm fuzzy memories of all the posters in the summer asking why Anaheim didn't get any respect, why did nobody pick them to win the division, etc.
The Ducks did win something last year.. 3 playoff rounds.

Anaheim might be 0-4 but it's not an 0-4 team. It's ok though, I realize it's tough for you to understand. They will start scoring and they will start winning, and when that happens look out.

Old
10-18-2003, 04:02 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I watched the game and was impressed with the Ducks. I wouldn't panic, as Lalime stole this game. Nice to see him out duel Giggy.

Word to the wise. If I was Anaheim, I'd make sure to keep playing Prospal with skilled forwards. He's a great compliment player with high end talent, but put him on a third line with average talent and he has real problems generating offence.

When in Ottawa and playing with Alfredsson he had a great year. The next season (when Yashin returned) and he was bumped to the third line, he disappeared. In Tampa, he flourished only when he was playing with Vince or Richards.

Old
10-18-2003, 04:23 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
No matter how much you chuckle it still doesn't change the result of last season's series does it?

Don't worry about it, every team slumps, the Ducks are just doing it at the beginning of the season.
No it doesn't, but that was 6 months ago; I've seen the Wings get swept in the SCF's, a good accomplishment, but who cares about who came in second when it's all said and done.

Still, I'm suprised about the 0-4 start, I like how Lupul looks so far and and deep down I'm smiling that Fedorov is -4 with 1 pt after 4 games, even though I still like him as a player and it didn't owe the Wings org. anything. Give the Ducks a couple more games to gel and they'll be alright.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:25 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
BTW, KJ, I can only tolerate going to the Pond when the Kings or Sens are there. The childish crap, mascots, music, contests etc. just irk me. I want to watch hockey, not worry about other crap. But hey, I guess they gotta market to their fanbase.
I know what you mean.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I watched the game and was impressed with the Ducks. I wouldn't panic, as Lalime stole this game. Nice to see him out duel Giggy.
Very true, the Ducks looked better than they have, but no one was burying their chances, and Lalime had a LOT to do with that. He had a great night.

I really like Lalime, he doesn't get enough credit IMO. Consistent and comes up big when he needs to (most of the time).

Quote:
Word to the wise. If I was Anaheim, I'd make sure to keep playing Prospal with skilled forwards. He's a great compliment player with high end talent, but put him on a third line with average talent and he has real problems generating offence.
True, and that has a lot more to do with his inconsistent career than any type of laziness or whatever. I said it all summer, I think Prospal can do well anywhere, but he NEEDS to be on a scoring line, period. He's next to useless on a lower line. He'll get it together soon.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

It may not have looked like it, but he was on the second line there, with Rucchin and Niedermayer. Those three, along with Fedorov and Sykora, have fallen off the face of the earth.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:50 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I watched the game and was impressed with the Ducks. I wouldn't panic, as Lalime stole this game. Nice to see him out duel Giggy..
Yeah, but it's getting a little ridiculous. They had tons of chances against Nashville and Phoenix, could easily have had 3-5 goals in each game, yet came away with 1 goal total. And the Ottawa game was a near carbon-copy of the Phoenix game, the only difference being that Anaheim tightened up the defense a bit.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:19 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
I don't agree with this at all. There's a huge difference betweeen getting swept in the first round, and making it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:49 AM
lux_interior

Quote:

Really? I can't stomach going to Kings games. 37 seasons and 2 banners. One division championship and one Western Conference Championship. Oh the mediocrity, it's killing me.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:51 AM
IGM

I stand by the fact that the "mighty" ducks are simply going through their Stanley Cup Hangover. I don't think it will last to long. That being said it is pure candy to watch them suck so bad to start the season AND I still think that Feds will only be good for his average of 67 or so points (based on what he has done over the past 9 years with the exception of his "I needs to get me a big contract" suprise of last year) and that the same can be said about Prospal. Still Feds plays great two way hockey and his 70 points and Prospals 55 should be enough to lift this team out of the cellar.

I said when this team signed these two that it changed their make up and was curious how both Fedorov and Prospal would play under the D first system that Mr B has in place. Feds is such a great player that I can see him eventually coming around to playing system hockey but I don't see Prospal as being able to do it.

I am sure it is just a coincidence but isn't it odd that the Canes have a Stanley Cup appearence with Oates in thier line up and let him leave to suck last year and that the "mighty" ducks sign Oates and have the exact same situation happen to them.
I don't think that Oates gets enough credit for his greatness and that he was just as important to the "might" ducks great run last year as JG was. If I were the evil Murray I would run out and sign Oates to right the ship as fast as I could. Of course, we all know that I am not the evil Murray or anywhere near as talented as him but, I can armchair with the rest of em!

Old
10-18-2003, 10:58 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
I stand by the fact that the "mighty" ducks are simply going through their Stanley Cup Hangover. I don't think it will last to long. That being said it is pure candy to watch them suck so bad to start the season AND I still think that Feds will only be good for his average of 67 or so points (based on what he has done over the past 9 years with the exception of his "I needs to get me a big contract" suprise of last year) and that the same can be said about Prospal. Still Feds plays great two way hockey and his 70 points and Prospals 55 should be enough to lift this team out of the cellar.

I said when this team signed these two that it changed their make up and was curious how both Fedorov and Prospal would play under the D first system that Mr B has in place. Feds is such a great player that I can see him eventually coming around to playing system hockey but I don't see Prospal as being able to do it.

I am sure it is just a coincidence but isn't it odd that the Canes have a Stanley Cup appearence with Oates in thier line up and let him leave to suck last year and that the "mighty" ducks sign Oates and have the exact same situation happen to them.
I don't think that Oates gets enough credit for his greatness and that he was just as important to the "might" ducks great run last year as JG was. If I were the evil Murray I would run out and sign Oates to right the ship as fast as I could. Of course, we all know that I am not the evil Murray or anywhere near as talented as him but, I can armchair with the rest of em!
I don't know where you're getting your facts. Oates played for Philly in the playoffs in 2002. He was acquired from the Capitals at the trading deadline. I don't think Oates has ever played for the Hartford/Carolina franchise.

That aside, a reasonably objective post. Better than the "HA HA Ducks suck" posts that seem to abound these days.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
Really? I can't stomach going to Kings games. 37 seasons and 2 banners. One division championship and one Western Conference Championship. Oh the mediocrity, it's killing me.
Dude, you take things way to seriously. Never once did I rip the product on the ice, I said I don't like going to the Pond because of the atmosphere in that building. I know Ducks fans who are ashamed at some of the things that go on at the Pond. Don't try and say the Ducks dont market primarily to pre-teens, between Wild Wing, and the Duck calls and the dumb contests they hold between periods to the Kiis FM type music they play. The Ducks market themselves to kids, heavily, and so the antics away from the game are very childish, Staples Center and almost every other arena I have been to dont market to kids.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:07 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
Dude, you take things way to seriously. Never once did I rip the product on the ice, I said I don't like going to the Pond because of the atmosphere in that building. I know Ducks fans who are ashamed at some of the things that go on at the Pond. Don't try and say the Ducks dont market primarily to pre-teens, between Wild Wing, and the Duck calls and the dumb contests they hold between periods to the Kiis FM type music they play. The Ducks market themselves to kids, heavily, and so the antics away from the game are very childish, Staples Center and almost every other arena I have been to dont market to kids.
I don't like the BS at Ducks games either. Excuse me, but I'm a little pissed at everyone piling on the Ducks since they're 0-4. I hope everyone who is doing that is big enough to admit they're wrong if the Ducks right the ship.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:15 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
What would espect? They are owned by Disney, they're generally a family, kids-friendly company. Were you expecting girls to skate around the ice like they have for the Isles (although the girls in So. Cal... ). I used to go to some Vipers games before they folded the team and they did a lot of kid-friendly stuff, didn't bother me.

Even at college games, they would do games and giveaways between periods.

Go to about any other arena and all they do is the same rock/techno pre-game.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:45 AM
IGM

The Oates comment was a joke in reply to an early "debate" about who he had played for last year with one of the duck fans who have posted in this thread.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:27 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
What would espect? They are owned by Disney, they're generally a family, kids-friendly company. Were you expecting girls to skate around the ice like they have for the Isles (although the girls in So. Cal... ).
Um ... the Ducks DO have very attractive young ladies skating around the ice like the Isles do. In some very tight outfits.

There's still a lot of kids stuff, but in the last couple years they've made some attempt at creating a more serious environment.

[QUOTE=lux_interior]
Excuse me, but I'm a little pissed at everyone piling on the Ducks since they're 0-4. I hope everyone who is doing that is big enough to admit they're wrong if the Ducks right the ship.
[QUOTE]

You're kidding, right? There were people who wouldn't even admit they were wrong about the Ducks when they made it to the Finals last year, they just went into hiding, they're sure as hell not going to admit they're wrong if the Ducks start playing better in the regular season.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:49 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
I know what you mean.
That's right you like "Serious Hockey"

Quote:
You're kidding, right? There were people who wouldn't even admit they were wrong about the Ducks when they made it to the Finals last year, they just went into hiding, they're sure as hell not going to admit they're wrong if the Ducks start playing better in the regular season.
I guess it's too much to ask.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:53 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
I don't agree with this at all. There's a huge difference betweeen getting swept in the first round, and making it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Oh the ride is fun while it's happening, but ultimately it doesn't mean *squat*. It's just a crutch for pathetic teams to lean on, to make up for their lack of success.

And yes, I include my own Canucks in that. People look on the Finals runs of '82 and '94 as some kind of success. They were great times, but ultimately, we were still the *losers*.

Old
10-18-2003, 02:06 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Oh the ride is fun while it's happening, but ultimately it doesn't mean *squat*. It's just a crutch for pathetic teams to lean on, to make up for their lack of success.

And yes, I include my own Canucks in that. People look on the Finals runs of '82 and '94 as some kind of success. They were great times, but ultimately, we were still the *losers*.
I don't see it that way at all.

Old
10-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
Quote:

To some part I agree with you. It is only the winners that really matter. But often champions build to being champions in the playoffs before it. I think it will be invaluable for the Sens this season that they have gone deeper and deeper into the playoffs in the previous playoffs. I think Ducks have learned a lot etc. So in that effect it matters now. But only in the respect that it is supposed to help the current team with the current drive to the quest.

But having a lot of division and conference banners in your arena doesn't matter much when you don't win the cup.

Closed Thread